Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

House payments.

Saving up for kids' college is another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Anansi The Spider posted:

And im sure he has to eat at the DFAC because hes retarded. I see tons of E5 - E7s with expensive cars, but why is it every officer ive seem drives the biggest pieces of poo poo cars? :iiam:

My dad is a retired full bird Colonel making probably around $250k a year with retirement pay and from his job as a contractor yet he drives his moms old 96 Buick Regal. Before that he drove his dad's 85 Buick LeSabre. He doesn't see the reason to buy a nice car since all he uses it for is to drive to work and back.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
All of the above.

Mortgage, kids' college funds, etc. and that I don't care what I drive to work at 5am as long as it gets there and can haul my bike and camping gear when the opportunity arises.

I pulled into my last base's Security Forces office for an outprocessing item and the lot was full of Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, Corvettes, etc. Drive back to the hospital and the physician-only spaces are just beaters with the odd Porsche or Mercedes that belong to old docs with grown kids who have paid off their giant houses.

Unless cars are your thing--i.e., restoring, fixing, racing, etc. is what consumes your free time and makes you happy--there is no reason to buy a high-end car.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Derek Dominoe posted:

All of the above.

Mortgage, kids' college funds, etc. and that I don't care what I drive to work at 5am as long as it gets there and can haul my bike and camping gear when the opportunity arises.

I pulled into my last base's Security Forces office for an outprocessing item and the lot was full of Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, Corvettes, etc. Drive back to the hospital and the physician-only spaces are just beaters with the odd Porsche or Mercedes that belong to old docs with grown kids who have paid off their giant houses.

Unless cars are your thing--i.e., restoring, fixing, racing, etc. is what consumes your free time and makes you happy--there is no reason to buy a high-end car.

With an attitude like that you ain't gonna be gettin' no bitches

e: Real talk - like half the guys I commissioned with used the USAA Lt Loan (something like $25K at 2% interest) to help finance a bitchin' car (think of something your average E-3 would buy, except with a slightly lower interest rate on the loan). At least a quarter of those guys had student loans coming out of college.

Lt's - not that much better than junior enlisted.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Xaarman used it during the facebook ipo so that he could get 25k in shares

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Xaarman used it during the facebook ipo so that he could get 25k in shares

You left out the best part (I think). Wasn't he the one who also panicked shortly after the botched IPO and sold his shares near their lowest historical price?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

at the date posted:

You left out the best part (I think). Wasn't he the one who also panicked shortly after the botched IPO and sold his shares near their lowest historical price?

Lmao yup. So he:
Bought stock with borrowed money
Bought into an IPO
Bought high and sold low

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

Lmao yup. So he:
Bought stock with borrowed money
Bought into an IPO
Bought high and sold low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OYYen9-Y6k

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

at the date posted:

Has he ever heard of bitcoin?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Derek Dominoe posted:

All of the above.

When my brother was an officer he was the only pilot in Kingsville showing up in a lovely older car (84 Firebird he had in High School), everyone else had classic Jeeps and newer Mustangs. His reasoning was "I get to fly something cool, who cares what the gently caress I drive to get there"

Now he very rarely flies anything he's looking at buying a vintage Aston off some crazy old gently caress in Phoenix

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone ever rent some high end sports car say you actually bought it at some ridiculous % just to see your NCO head pop?

I would assume it would be funny but is rather let other kids do it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My brother used his Lt. Loan to buy a rather sensible Mazda3 hatch, which he has proceeded to drive all the hell over creation. He takes good care of it and calls me when he runs into something he doesn't know about. Then again my brother does not belong in this thread at all.

However, the class vice-president, who pissed hot for Adderall three days before graduation...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Been driving the same vehicle (98 Explorer) since 2000. On the other hand I once had a sailor working for me who had a lovely KIA that had about 10k in aftermarket parts on it....

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

LingcodKilla posted:

Anyone ever rent some high end sports car say you actually bought it at some ridiculous % just to see your NCO head pop?

I would assume it would be funny but is rather let other kids do it.

In my experience, NCOs and Staff NCOs cried the loudest and longest when Facebook told them their paychecks would be delayed indefinitely due to congress not passing a budget.

B-B-B-But my TRUCK!!!

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Not a car, but an E-1 I served with out of Sasebo Japan spent all his money on clothes and an apartment in Fukuoka, the closest place with decent clubs, and something like 2 hours away by train. He maintained the place and kept himself in the latest fashions in order to desperately trying to convince bar flies and off duty strippers was has the real deal. He even had a briefcase he carried around with some random scrap printouts he pulled out of the shop desk to complete the look.

He also paid rent for a hole in the wall in Sasebo to actually live out of, but it was at least a quarter the size of the two bedroom he had up north.

Nice guy once you got past him being a huge poseur.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wait so he spent lots of money for an apartment two hours away but he didn't even live in it?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Cojawfee posted:

Wait so he spent lots of money for an apartment two hours away but he didn't even live in it?

Yep. It was just there for him to take girls back to when we were able to go on liberty there, two nights 3 weeks out of the month at the most. He was still paying for it while we were out to sea. If you pressed him on the logic of it he would get pissed and walk out. Our chief worked on him for months and nothing you said could convince him otherwise. He really went all in with his playa persona so I guess he was just desperate to be something other than another poor schmuck in the Navy. He would get pissed if you tried to pay for something when he was in his whole getup.

Threw great parties for us and was fun to be around, but in when it wasn't the weekend he lived like a pauper. Every meal on the messdecks when in port, no furniture or even electricity at his Sasebo apartment, that sort of thing. We decided he just had trouble dealing with reality.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 5, 2014

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Why wouldn't you just get a hotel. :q:

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Hotels don't come with 50" TV's you don't watch or a king sized bed you don't sleep in. His actual excuse was always something like "That's not who I am" or "Pimpin ain't easy" or something equally evasive or MTV esq.

Dude just wanted to live the life and reality be damned.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
So this dude had like $14 in spending money every two weeks?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

gleep gloop posted:

So this dude had like $14 in spending money every two weeks?

The apartment in Sasebo ran him something like $400 a check and it was like those "apartment" you see when people are photographing worker residences in China. Take the smallest studio apartment you have ever seen and chop it in half. He would normally skip paying for his utilities there and it was more like a 1 man homeless shelter for him during the week.

His place in Fukuoka probably cost him something like $1000 a month because it was far enough from any of the nicer stuff in town to be be too expensive. No parking, strictly ok building and neighborhood. It and it's contents weren't exactly top dollar but he did his best to give you that impression.

Since he was an e1 he didn't get BAH so I know the Navy wasn't subsidizing all this. I'm pretty sure his parents were sending him money otherwise he shouldn't have had anything left in his check every month. Whenever he needed uniform stuff or other non-crib related items he would buy them off sympathetic people on the ship or go without.

He put on e2 about the time I left and e3 was probably on the way since he did an ok job with the navy stuff, but that additional +/- $400 probably just went towards a car or any of the other things he needed to maintain his facade.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 5, 2014

Anansi The Spider
Jan 30, 2014

loved basic so much I decided to stay

Nyyen posted:

The apartment in Sasebo ran him something like $400 a check and it was like those "apartment" you see when people are photographing worker residences in China. Take the smallest studio apartment you have ever seen and chop it in half. He would normally skip paying for his utilities there and it was more like a 1 man homeless shelter for him during the week.

His place in Fukuoka probably cost him something like $1000 a month because it was far enough from any of the nicer stuff in town to be be too expensive. No parking, strictly ok building and neighborhood. It and it's contents weren't exactly top dollar but he did his best to give you that impression. I'm pretty sure his parents were sending him money otherwise he shouldn't have had anything left in his check every month. Whenever he needed uniform stuff or other non-crib related items he would buy them off sympathetic people on the ship or go without.

Would he actually get any rear end from doing this?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Anansi The Spider posted:

Would he actually get any rear end from doing this?

Well, he got to bang that snaggletoothed, drunk japanese girl on his own bed instead of having to pay for a love motel so I guess that's something. He didn't speak japanese and they rarely understood english so I don't know how many even figured out he was telling them about his banging pad. At 1-3 in the morning and with everyone pretty well smashed it's hard to tell how much your clothes and demeanor mattered grabbing that piece of tail. The only real, constant benefit was he could nurse his hangovers in style while we had to do it on the train back home.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 5, 2014

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
HEY! HEY GIRL! HEY MY APARTMENT IS REALLY MODERN! I SAID I HAVE A MODERN APARTMENT!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I know an officer kind of like that. His dad and brothers are doctors with a ton of money and he tried to match their extravagant life style and now he's a retired LTC in debt up to his eyeballs and working a contracting job making less than he did when he was on active duty because he's pretty dumb. He's one of my parents neighbors and everyone hates him because he's a douche. Imagine a stereotypical fratbro but retired.

He once said "none of my kids are going to go to a community college" when a neighbors son went to one while his own kids were in high school. And he was right, not a single one of his 3 kids took a single college class anywhere, let alone at a community college.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Mustang posted:

I know an officer kind of like that. His dad and brothers are doctors with a ton of money and he tried to match their extravagant life style and now he's a retired LTC in debt up to his eyeballs and working a contracting job making less than he did when he was on active duty because he's pretty dumb. He's one of my parents neighbors and everyone hates him because he's a douche. Imagine a stereotypical fratbro but retired.

He once said "none of my kids are going to go to a community college" when a neighbors son went to one while his own kids were in high school. And he was right, not a single one of his 3 kids took a single college class anywhere, let alone at a community college.

they all died like heroes on normandy and here you are shitposting about them on the internet

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

they all died like heroes on normandy and here you are shitposting about them on the internet

nobody cares what you think

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nyyen posted:

Well, he got to bang that snaggletoothed, drunk japanese girl on his own bed instead of having to pay for a love motel so I guess that's something. He didn't speak japanese and they rarely understood english so I don't know how many even figured out he was telling them about his banging pad. At 1-3 in the morning and with everyone pretty well smashed it's hard to tell how much your clothes and demeanor mattered grabbing that piece of tail. The only real, constant benefit was he could nurse his hangovers in style while we had to do it on the train back home.

And this right here folks is why kind nobles like myself have to take seriously idiotic catchphrases like "intrusive leadership." :argh:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 31, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

50 Foot Ant posted:

"Oh, I got a good deal, it's only 11% interest on this car!

Who the gently caress takes 11%? I laughed in a dealer's face when he tried to pawn off a 4.5.

Are people really that fuckin stupid when it comes to car buying.

Thats not a question. Its a statment full of scorn.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone in my shop bought a 2007 Avalanche and got 13% interest.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Genocide Tendency posted:

Who the gently caress takes 11%? I laughed in a dealer's face when he tried to pawn off a 4.5.

Are people really that fuckin stupid when it comes to car buying.

Thats not a question. Its a statment full of scorn.

It's what happens when young people with some money burning a hole in their pocket and no understanding of how interest rates work go buy a car. It's not stupidity, it's lack of knowledge.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
My first car when I was a 19 year old PFC was 11.9%. I was an idiot.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I know a two people who fixed their credit with sub-prime car loans. Apparently getting one and having the ability to pay it back on time is the fastest way to get from a low to mid 500 credit score to a high 600s. Though I'm sure that's never been why a single E-3 has ever gotten one

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My problem was having no credit history besides student loans right out of college. USAA wouldn't even give me a credit card at first, ended up holding a capital one card with a $500 limit for a couple years before USAA was satisfied with my history.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
As soon as you get to your training school out of boot/basic you're supposed to go to the BX and get a military star card. Then you max it out on stupid poo poo. Or be like me and use it like three times. It's currently sitting in my closet and they keep raising my credit limit. I think it's at 6000 right now and it started around 600. I don't understand why people don't have credit cards. Don't go hog wild and get a million of them, but you should have at least one credit card. The people who use their debit card for everything are the same people who complain they have no credit and can't get more than 10K for a car note. It's not hard to build credit. You get babby's first credit card with the 500 dollar limit. Keep the balance below 35% (or never use it) and keep it open for a long time. I've got a visa through my credit union, an amex through USAA, the worthless military star and my GTC. The key is having lines of credit open for a long time, paying bills on time and not carrying more than 35% balance.

But what do I know? I'm just a guy with a 790 credit score who can get any loan I want.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Does actually having a GTC and paying your balance on time actually affect your credit score in a positive way beyond getting dinged for non-payment?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

Does actually having a GTC and paying your balance on time actually affect your credit score in a positive way beyond getting dinged for non-payment?

GTC is a real life credit card that's in your name. It just has a special stipulation that if you don't pay it off, Chase contacts your leadership.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

It's what happens when young people with some money burning a hole in their pocket and no understanding of how interest rates work go buy a car. It's not stupidity, it's lack of knowledge.
Stupidity is not listening when you're told not to do something with vastly more life experience, but do it anyway. So yes, they are stupid. GTC is probably a big contributor to me having a 750 credit score at my age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

That's the deal with most corporate credit cards. Company pays the bill through whatever expense report you file, but the card can have an effect on your credit score.