Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No, actually, it's a short summation of more than one established study on how the American right deals with POW/MIA issues post-Vietnam. Mike Allen's Until the Last Man Comes Home: POWs, MIAs, and the Unending War in Vietnam and H. Bruce Franklin's MIA, or, Mythmaking in America being only the two most prominent examples I could name off hand. But feel free to be an idiot about it anyway!

Those are some cool book titles, but I know several people who got to go search for Bergdahl and got to see their buddies shot up, locals get their villages disrupted and searched and their livelihoods hosed with, watch projects they'd been working on cease to exist or erode away as the local population got pissed about the constant searches for him, and so on. I'm not talking from the standpoint of the crotchety old man on Facebook, but the people who no poo poo had to carry shattered human bodies onto helicopters*

*Before some GiPer loses his/her mind, I'm a pogue, but know/work with people who got to attend the funerals of their squadmates who died searching for Bergdahl.

edit:

joeburz posted:

Oh well if yet another soldier says he deserted then obviously he deserted and that's the end of that chapter. You're casually dismissing the psychological explanation given and then saying "welp this guy said it happened this way" without realizing its a hodgepodge of hearsay and assumptions. Being in proximity to him doesn't automatically give them credibility, exactly for the reasons people have listed that you dismiss.

If I didn't know the author of that Beast article, I'd likely agree. But I know him and he's not an idiot, and he has very carefully put together an account of the event which he withheld out of respect, for fear that the story might endanger Bergdahl, even after he exited the military. Yes, this is personal bias, fine. I guess the view is even clearer from your computer desk.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

Those are some cool book titles, but I know several people who got to go search for Bergdahl and got to see their buddies shot up, locals get their villages disrupted and searched and their livelihoods hosed with, watch projects they'd been working on cease to exist or erode away as the local population got pissed about the constant searches for him, and so on. I'm not talking from the standpoint of the crotchety old man on Facebook, but the people who no poo poo had to carry shattered human bodies onto helicopters*

I fail to see how any of that contradicts those, and other studies that I could mention, that document well how clearly the right wing in America have manipulated and spun POW/MIA issues for their own ends, usually as ways of validating those wars they've fought and spinning embarrassing defeats into shining victories much as I said. Seriously, Nixon and Reagan both were knee-deep in this poo poo (the former explicitly to steal the prisoner issue away from the anti-war crowd, the latter as he was a true believer and had been in a POW movie in the fifties), to name only the two most prominent conservatives who used the issue exactly as I've mentioned it. That not everyone buys into that narrative in no way disproves the clear existence of it within the modern right with regards to prisoners of war, no matter how many dudes you know what went out into the boonies this one time, maaaaaan.

Cheekio posted:

I'm pretty sure your experience isn't typical of the average American or most members of the media. Those books might be more than just cool titles, you never know til you've read them.

They are, and he should!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
edit: beaten by someone more eloquent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today, Drudge joked that the patio chair Hillary leaned on in a photo was a walker. Because she is so old! And the Washington Free Beacon used this to spend the day trolling, getting both People and Media Matters to respond.

So that's what we have to look forward to for the next ten years.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I fail to see how any of that contradicts those, and other studies that I could mention,

To clarify, I've no doubt that rear end in a top hat right wing people who have no connection to the military at all get mad about dumb poo poo like POW/MIA without "truly" caring.

I also am not a cretin who thinks we shouldn't have even tried to get Bergdahl back.

I just think there are some legitimate, very serious gripes to be made by those who have been legally disallowed from saying that Bergdahl is not some hero who got captured, but rather that he's a guy who, for one reason or the other, abandoned his post.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

If you have actual numbers on it I'd love to see them. I was not trying to invoke a stereotype, I was going off the larger trends and assuming they were reflected in the gay community as well.

The society wide trend for a while now has been for stable relationships and marriages to correlate with higher incomes. I'm yet to see anything that indicates gays are different from straights in this regard, but I haven't looked either. Given that the number one source of divorce is reported as "fights over money" it shouldn't surprise anyone that couples with more money are more stable. Though I will admit that the reverse interpretation - that people who are more stable and capable of forming solid relationships are able to transfer those skills to work and advance faster as a result - is a valid read, it doesn't change the fact that poor people see a higher rate of divorce and desperation that wealthier people.

As for being dinks, more states allow gay marriage than allow gay adoption, so while I have not looked up the numbers it seems reasonable on the face to assume that there will be more married gay couples without kids than with.

If I'm wrong please correct me, as it was not my intention to give offense

I guess you're talking about couples in particular rather than LGBT people as a whole. For everyone both couples and singles, the Gallup poll MaxxBot posted is the one I usually refer to. Since it doesn't give direct information about couples it doesn't directly contradict the idea that married gay couples are more affluent than average. There's also this report on LGBT poverty and a followup which indicates that couples with two men are less likely to be below the poverty line. Everyone else basically gets screwed.

Children raised in households headed by two men or two women are more likely to be in poverty than children in opposite sex couples. Families with children are more likely to be in poverty than those without, so looking at the children's poverty rate gives an idea of how much of the effect is simply having less children than average. If same sex families have more children in the future, then I'd expect that to erode away.

If we're looking at actual legally married couples, I'd reckon that which states allow same sex marriage also has an effect. If you rank states by income using just about any metric, the poor states tend to be the ones that disallow same sex marriage. They also tend to not have laws about employment and housing discrimination among other things and honestly also tend to be the ones that need them. I don't have direct evidence that they're dragging down the numbers for opposite sex marriages while leaving same sex marriages unscathed, but I think it's a pretty safe bet.

As far as stereotyping and that sort of stuff goes, I'm not offended or anything like that. I think that the stereotypes tend to be used to downplay the importance of LGBT equality. Yeah, there's gay and bisexual rich white men who'd benefit from marriage equality. A lot of them are shitheads for any of a billion different reasons. However this whole thread of discussion started with a group pretty much made for those shitheads closing up shop. The problem is really more about hurting anyone less privileged in order to spite the GOProud crew.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

mlmp08 posted:

I just think there are some legitimate, very serious gripes to be made by those who have been legally disallowed from saying that Bergdahl is not some hero who got captured, but rather that he's a guy who, for one reason or the other, abandoned his post.

This is a straw man. Who, besides the hypocrite right wingers from 2-3 years ago, were calling him a hero? Most everyone on the left basically let the rhetoric stop at "He is a soldier who was captured, and deserves to be brought home." They specifically did not do the thing the Bush administration did with Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch where they fabricated their stories in order to try to boost recruitment numbers.

There's no need to tear Bergdahl down because there's not really anyone who'd been building him up. The claim he abandoned his post was written about right after this thing started. The whole thing with vets giving interviews about him seems extremely petty and wrong. A guy comes home after 5 years, and the first thing that occurs to them as a fellow veteran is bad-mouth the guy in the media after he had already been bad-mouthed for the last 5 years.

That doesn't seem right to me, and for you to excuse that behavior makes you seem petty too. I can point you to HuffPo articles from 2009 "asking questions" about Bergdahl's disappearance. Nobody beyond a few loonies has tried to claim he's anything other than a guy in a really bad situation that deserves to be brought home.

edit: This guy below me made good points and is saying it better than I did.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 5, 2014

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mlmp08 posted:

To clarify, I've no doubt that rear end in a top hat right wing people who have no connection to the military at all get mad about dumb poo poo like POW/MIA without "truly" caring.

I also am not a cretin who thinks we shouldn't have even tried to get Bergdahl back.

This is were the hang up is for most people, since leaving your post can be often qualified by many different things, one of those big things being mental illness or fear from hazing. This isn't the first time a US Army soldier has walked off base, war and foreign countries are amazingly scary places for young inexperienced troopers and it really doesn't take that much to make someone snap especially if their unit is treating them like poo poo. He obviously didn't toe the line that they were there for a good reason, and he had sympathy for the locals (Which is actually a good thing and Iv personally got veterans in my family who said they felt like poo poo about how mistreated the locals often were).

The fact this guy gets to come home to a country that now hates him, despite spending five loving years as a POW stuck in a cave, is absolutely disgusting.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Joementum posted:

Today, Drudge joked that the patio chair Hillary leaned on in a photo was a walker. Because she is so old! And the Washington Free Beacon used this to spend the day trolling, getting both People and Media Matters to respond.

So that's what we have to look forward to for the next ten years.

Man, I don't know what the problem is. One of the greatest presidents this country ever had couldn't walk unassisted for the entirety of his term. I sincerely doubt anyone would have been calling him weak, either.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

He could have personally went up to 6 soldiers and shot them in the head, and I'd still think a non-controversal opinion would be bringing him back to the US to face his crimes in court.

Considering whatever he has done is far less than that, what's the problem other than Obama Do A Thing?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

joeburz posted:

He could have personally went up to 6 soldiers and shot them in the head, and I'd still think a non-controversal opinion would be bringing him back to the US to face his crimes in court.

Considering whatever he has done is far less than that, what's the problem other than Obama Do A Thing?

Speaking according to logic and the facts about the surrounding circumstances, absolutely nothing. But Obama Can't Win, Ever, so yeah.

I'm just mad that it's affecting Bergdahl himself. Obama I'm pretty sure can take it, he understands the stakes. Bergdahl just got imprisoned and maybe tortured for five years and he's coming back to this horrifying lovely political shell game, which is going out of its way to brand him as a traitor and scum of the earth because he was involved in A Thing Obama Did. The way the right has been treating him loving disgusts me.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

joeburz posted:

We went through a massive amount of hurdles to get actual defectors and people who ran off base to join the enemy out of POW camps back in Vietnam and Korea. Most of these people were never tried and convicted of anything because the military understands when you shove a bunch of often times mentally fragile young troopers in a lovely hostile war zone people snap, people have doubts, and people try and get out.

There is a reason noone has been shot for desertion since world war 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mlmp08 posted:

The only people calling him a hero are fucksticks four years ago using him as a cudgel. Most people are just disgusted at the idea he wasn't "worth saving" because some random grunts said a thing and he wasn't a cheery soldier.

Even if he 100% is a total traitor we don't loving leave people behind, and he should be tried here. That's the debate here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Redeye Flight posted:

Man, I don't know what the problem is. One of the greatest presidents this country ever had couldn't walk unassisted for the entirety of his term. I sincerely doubt anyone would have been calling him weak, either.
The Presidency was considered a much more sacrosanct institution during the 1930s and 40s than it is now. Most Americans didn't even know Roosevelt was paralyzed.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The only people calling him a hero are fucksticks four years ago using him as a cudgel. Most people are just disgusted at the idea he wasn't "worth saving" because some random grunts said a thing and he wasn't a cheery soldier.

Even if he 100% is a total traitor we don't loving leave people behind, and he should be tried here. That's the debate here.

He shouldn't be tried here, number 1 because this guy spent 5 years as a POW and we don't prosecute POW's even if they did give information to their captors because they were a loving POW. One of the shitiest things that can happen to you.

I can't even see were any of the logic is here, I guess being tortured and almost dying in captivity isn't enough.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Anyone who calls him a hero is most likely not in possession of all the facts. Anybody calling for his head or saying that he should have been left behind, however, should be ashamed of themselves. In the past 150 years, only a single person in the United States Armed Forces has been shot for desertion, and that was under extraordinary circumstances during some of the heaviest fighting the US Army has ever seen. What makes this man's crimes so great that he should be left imprisoned a world away from home? It's a sad example of the piss-poor state of affairs in this country that bringing home a POW, no matter the circumstances of their imprisonment, is somehow controversial.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JT Jag posted:

You don't think literally overthrowing a feudal system results in a long-term improvement for the poor and working class?

Not always.

See: invasion of Tibet by Chinese forces.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Anyone who calls him a hero is most likely not in possession of all the facts.

The word 'hero' is pretty much synonymous with 'soldier' at this point, though. It's pretty much exclusively used for political dick-waving.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Not always.

See: invasion of Tibet by Chinese forces.

Conquest by a foreign power is bad? You don't say!

Pack it up, democrats, overthrowing feudalism is bad because a feudal society got conquered one time and look how bad that turned out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alexzandvar posted:

He shouldn't be tried here, number 1 because this guy spent 5 years as a POW and we don't prosecute POW's even if they did give information to their captors because they were a loving POW. One of the shitiest things that can happen to you.

I can't even see were any of the logic is here, I guess being tortured and almost dying in captivity isn't enough.

I thought I was pretty clearly talking about some magic situation where we for sure know he was a literal traitor to the nation and not a ho spent five years deep in poo poo for the "bring him here to accuse him" bit.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah they already implemented those damned debit card pay things that cost money to access the money they're paying you.

Companies like AMC and Wal-Mart are definitely pushing the debit cards as an alternative to direct deposit, so it's not really that big of a leap from here to actual company scrip.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SedanChair posted:

Wait did you think he paid his workers in predatory birds?

That would be hilarious "good job Moe" *rustling, flapping noises emanate from inside of large manila envelope*

I am busting up laughing at 1 am.

Thanks for being a great poster and adding mirth to an often depressing thread. :unsmith:

E: sorry, double post on phone

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
New OP is almost done but I need to get to bed. If someone can find the post I made (I thought it was here but I'm not seeing it) detailing what is going on with reproductive rights where I talked contraception and South Dakota's abortion desert I want to crib that. Also we need a drink

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

USPol June: Bombs over Bergdahl

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
USPOL June: Abusing Beta Blockers

also still love

US Pol June: Class DoorFare

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 5, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
USPOL June: Oliver North literally insulted a man for "negotiating with terrorists and putting Americans in danger" and wasn't laughed off set.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

USPOL June: Oliver North literally insulted a man for "negotiating with terrorists and putting Americans in danger" and wasn't laughed off set.

Yeah but the rapine of Salvadorean nuns is a huge national security boost.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but the rapine of Salvadorean nuns is a huge national security boost.

Remember this is also the party of "legitimate rape." Do you know what those nuns were wearing at the time? They have some interesting dress habits.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

joeburz posted:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

If I didn't know the author of that Beast article, I'd likely agree. But I know him and he's not an idiot, and he has very carefully put together an account of the event which he withheld out of respect, for fear that the story might endanger Bergdahl, even after he exited the military.
So the Beast article isn't that account? Or am I completely misreading that?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
USPOL June: Boehner bashing Obama's boners: Bergdahl, Benghazi, and VA Benefits

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
USPOL June: kill yourself

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

Has anyone not done this yet? This ain't AUSPOL. Seriously, no jokes do it now.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Swan Oat posted:

agarjogger posted:

Has anyone not done this yet? This ain't AUSPOL. Seriously, no jokes do it now.

You mean have we not yet killed ourselves? Workin' on it, boss.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Wait gently caress now I feel bad.
Get help or get booze.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

USPOL June: This is not how to do it

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

quote:

USPol June: Bombs over Bergdahl

US Pol June: Class DoorFare

Both of these are excellent.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

eNeMeE posted:

So the Beast article isn't that account? Or am I completely misreading that?

He didn't say a word until Bergdahl was safely in US hands again. The supposed reason for the initial gag order was to protect the prisoner from mistreatment or murder by his captors.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

JT Jag posted:

The Presidency was considered a much more sacrosanct institution during the 1930s and 40s than it is now. Most Americans didn't even know Roosevelt was paralyzed.

The reason why the White House desk has a solid front instead of a cutout is that it was modified to hide his wheelchair from visitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

US CCG Trading thread: Don't trade 5 Rares for stolen cards

• Locked thread