Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Linedance posted:

I'm afraid I'd get a crotch full of gasoline.

Goons: motivated by fear and fear alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

M42 posted:

Ffs, we just had this argument like last week :cripes:

It's more fun to run poo poo into the ground. And I missed the argument. :(

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm like twice the size of my bike so I just stand up and have it lean on my leg while I'm paying, and use the time to stretch and fill it to the rim. I only get off if I'm riding outside town and have a dirty visor or I'm cold. Or when the pump tells me to see attendant :argh:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm like twice the size of my bike so I just stand up and have it lean on my leg while I'm paying

Are you Gregor Clegane?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Since we are on gas station talk, how does filling up go in New Jersey? I know they still have a law that requires a gas station attendant to fill up your car (so stupid), but does this work the same way for bikes?

In Oregon, which has a similar law, the guy walked out and turned the pump on but just handed me the handle. I don't know if NJ is more strict though.

Either way, I wasn't going to get off the bike because I'm one of those superior long-armed ubermenschen who does it all without leaving the seat (except every third fill when I check the oil too, requiring that I put it on the center stand). If the guy in NJ or OR wants to fill it up himself he can do it but he's gonna have his hand three inches from my junk while I stare at him with crossed arms.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

The naked version is phenomenal to ride, apparently.

My riding school had F800Rs. With less than 15k kms on them, they all had the paint rubbed off the frame where it rubs against the inside of the riders thighs. For shame, BMW.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It's more fun to run poo poo into the ground. And I missed the argument. :(

On that note, there is only one pay at pump station near me on any of the routes I might choose to take to get out or in to town. All the rest require going inside to pay. That one station has pumps and pay consoles designed to be operated by car drivers, ie at standing height, not within arms reach of all the hoses. That's when they work. 80% of the time the pay at pump is out of order, requiring you to go inside anyway. It's also a chip and pin machine, so it requires inserting your card and entering your pin, not just swiping.
So to use it without getting off the bike would require pulling up close to the reader, reaching up to use it, then waddling the bike forward to the hose you want to use, wrestling that over your shoulder to get it into the tank hole at a useful angle, and the trying to not drizzle fuel down your crotch (all the hoses leave leftover fuel in the nozzles).

Or you could just get off the bike and do it really loving easy like.

Basically what I'm describing would make for a great infomercial.
"Do you struggle filling up your bike? Always awkwardly pushing it around, getting tangled up in the hose, pouring fuel in your crotch, setting yourself on fire? Well struggle no longer with our new patented 'getting off the bike' method!"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
You must be the most goony awkward and uncoordinated person on the planet if you cannot straddle your bike and pump gas at the same time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I feel like getting off/staying on the bike to pump gas is becoming the "does chili have beans in it or not?" of CA.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've never had an issue sitting on the bike and filling it.

Gently slide the credit card down or into the slot. Run my fingertips across the Zip Code buttons. Tease the gas cap open, moving the tank bag to the side if necessary. Slowly insert the nozzle until fluid comes gushing out, gripping the tank firmly with my knees. Tap it against the hole until it stops dripping.

Have a cigarette?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like getting off/staying on the bike to pump gas is becoming the "does chili have beans in it or not?" of CA.

Did you know some people wipe their rear end standing up and some wipe sitting down?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I hear some people even fold toilet paper!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BlackLaser posted:

Did you know some people wipe their rear end standing up and some wipe sitting down?

Nobody wipes their rear end standing up. You're lying to me.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

There's some that even put their toilet paper on the holder backwards :monocle:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Toilet paper?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

BMW F800R... seems like it's fairly polarizing. I've read it's a great do-everything bike with nice brakes, ABS, lots of good factory options like heated grips, decent adjustable suspension while not being anything outstanding, low center of gravity, things like that. I've also read it's kind of the worst of everything, with an engine that doesn't create "real" power until 4000 RPM and then is buzzy after 5000 RPM. People seem to put heavy bar-ends and it alleviates the bar vibes, though.

I'm looking for a preferably naked sport standard that can do everything as well as possible. SMOOTH city riding with good fueling and no hard fuel-cut off with closed throttle, which I deal with a lot in Chicago city traffic. Down-low grunt for the constant low RPM driving, but a broad powerband for more open roads. At least a DECENT suspension (I'm no canyon carver, yet) for bumpy city roads and somewhat aggressive riding. Lack of vibrations and buzz at 75+ mph for taking trips (I can attach a windscreen of some sort for the wind). Looks good. Costs less than, say, 8 grand with fewer than, say, 7500 miles on it.

Right now my options all seem like they have compromises, based on what I've read:
- 2011-ish FZ8 (go for about $5800): Throttle not very smooth at low-speeds. Meh suspension that is costly to upgrade. Heavy and more top-heavy than others. No ABS. Long intervals between valve adjustments.
- New FZ-09. Honestly just too expensive right now.
- KTM Duke 690 (around $7500): More street than anything, too buzzy and locks you into a more or less single riding position and therefore not great for any distance. Has ABS, good suspension, light and agile. More maintenance on the thumper.
- BMW F800R ($8000 or so): read above.
- Triumph Street Triple R: Not a lot for sale around me, and most out of my price range. Some seem to be around 8 grand if I'm really lucky, but those are 2012 pre-ABS models as well.
- Aprilia Tuono: Pretty aggressive styling and sport demeanor, not sure it's composed enough for stop-and-go. Also pricier and scarcer. But older versions are cheaper.

This is kind of where I stand right now. I'm frustrated with the hunt and am now just throwing it out there for some suggestions and hopefully personal experience.

A lot of me just wants to not even get anything and wait for the FZ-07, which some euro and Canadian reviewers are preferring to the FZ-09, for the cost at least. But that seems silly.

The Tuono really doesn't look right on that list - it has like double the power of some of the others (even the old V2 one is ~120bhp) and is way closer to a flat-out sports bike than the others, even if it is relaxed compared to the Mille/RSV4.

If you're willing to look Noale-wards put the Shiver on your list, it fits all of your criteria apart from the harsh cut-off on closed throttle but that's a v-twin thing. Suspension will be better than anything on that list apart from the Triple R and *maybe* the Duke, although less adjustable. With the selectable throttle maps you can slacken off the throttle response for city riding or with the O2 emulator ($50 and ten minutes work to fit) it will pull cleanly from 2k rpm.

The engine's pretty bulletproof (only known vice is the MAF sensor making GBS threads itself, which while it's a simple fix can be an utter, utter bitch to diagnose without the right tools) and build quality is very un-Italian.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I hear some people even fold toilet paper!

Only children and disgusting mentally feeble goonlords don't. :colbert:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

I'm amazed to see how many people like the look of this, it just looks dorky and kind of milquetoast to me. Not saying I prefer the looks of the new Z1000, the other extreme.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It definitely looks dorky, but in a weird cyborg way which is sort of interesting. It's like...original Transformer, versus the Michael Bay Transformers look that most modern bikes have.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Everyone is ignoring that it's got probably the least interesting engine on the planet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

High Protein posted:

I'm amazed to see how many people like the look of this, it just looks dorky and kind of milquetoast to me. Not saying I prefer the looks of the new Z1000, the other extreme.

It's way too busy, but it's got a nice balanced look to it. It reminds me of a beefy power drill or something, where the Z1000 looks like a running shoe.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Spiffness posted:

Everyone is ignoring that it's got probably the least interesting engine on the planet.

Yeah. At least you can wind the crap out of the twin in the Ninja 650 / Versys. This thing is basically a thumper.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

epalm posted:

Are you Gregor Clegane?

I'm 6'7/6'8 with my boots and I ride a CBR500R.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

People like it because instead of looking desperately contrived and dripping with trendy, market-driven styling it looks simple and light and fun.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yeah. At least you can wind the crap out of the twin in the Ninja 650 / Versys. This thing is basically a thumper.

Yes except it makes more power and torque than the ninja 650 so I'm not sure what you're getting at. The engine isn't intended to be interesting any more than a KTM single isn't intended to be interesting.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I went to test ride the BMW F800R that was used near me... but it had been sold since the day before. After they had had it for 6 months. But thankfully there was an attached KTM dealer, and I rode the Duke 690. I really didn't love it, to be honest. It was really heavy on the vibration, and it didn't feel like 20 year newer thumper technology than the old KLR650 I had. I mean it certainly generated more power, but it was kinda clunky in low RPMs and had a lot of overall vibration all over the RPM range.

The upright position almost felt TOO upright (if it were my bike I'd have rotated the bars forward a little), and there was plenty of wind even at 50ish mph all over my neck and head area. I'm only 5'-10" so it's not like I have an unusually high head position.

I originally felt like it didnt have much power until 5,000 RPM, but if I rolled heavy on the throttle in lower RPMs I felt the torque. I felt a little hard fuel cut-off in slow city traffic when I had to be easy on the throttle. The low weight and agility was really great, though, but ultimately I felt like the engine was the real drawback. If that thing was smoother I'd be all about it... it just felt and sounded vaguely tractory, besides the agility. I also was reminded how much I dislike the low redline of thumpers.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on 10-15 miles of riding around some suburbs. Hardly definitive. It's just off my list. :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
To which KTM dealer did you go?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

In Oregon, which has a similar law, the guy walked out and turned the pump on but just handed me the handle. I don't know if NJ is more strict though.

Either way, I wasn't going to get off the bike because I'm one of those superior long-armed ubermenschen who does it all without leaving the seat (except every third fill when I check the oil too, requiring that I put it on the center stand). If the guy in NJ or OR wants to fill it up himself he can do it but he's gonna have his hand three inches from my junk while I stare at him with crossed arms.
That is exactly what they do in NJ

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

To which KTM dealer did you go?

Countryside.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Tuono really doesn't look right on that list - it has like double the power of some of the others (even the old V2 one is ~120bhp) and is way closer to a flat-out sports bike than the others, even if it is relaxed compared to the Mille/RSV4.

If you're willing to look Noale-wards put the Shiver on your list, it fits all of your criteria apart from the harsh cut-off on closed throttle but that's a v-twin thing. Suspension will be better than anything on that list apart from the Triple R and *maybe* the Duke, although less adjustable. With the selectable throttle maps you can slacken off the throttle response for city riding or with the O2 emulator ($50 and ten minutes work to fit) it will pull cleanly from 2k rpm.

The engine's pretty bulletproof (only known vice is the MAF sensor making GBS threads itself, which while it's a simple fix can be an utter, utter bitch to diagnose without the right tools) and build quality is very un-Italian.

This looks really nice, and 2008s and 2009s can be found for 2011 FZ8 money.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No one should buy an fz8, with the release of the fz-09 the 8 is now the redheaded stepchild. The FZ-09 is what the fz8 should have been.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I wish I could stay on my bike to fill up, but the machines are always located past the pumps at self-service stations in Japan, so I'd have to duck-walk it backwards, then duck-walk it forwards to get my change. On the plus side the inserting cash bit is novel for me as an American, you can literally take several bills of different denominations, stacked on top of each other, stick them in the slot, and it sucks them all in at once and counts them appropriately. Gotta make some innovations if you're a space-age, cash-based economy I guess :v:

One of the pros of the stations with attendants is getting a completely full tank without having to balance my bike and juggle it/the cap/the nozzle when I'm finished filling. (Cons is gas is a bit more expensive [duh] so I usually avoid them.) Nice to bullshit with another human being when I have to use one though.

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm 6'7/6'8 with my boots and I ride a CBR500R.

In before obvious "The Mountain That Rides" joke.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I wish I could stay on my bike to fill up, but the machines are always located past the pumps at self-service stations in Japan, so I'd have to duck-walk it backwards, then duck-walk it forwards to get my change. On the plus side the inserting cash bit is novel for me as an American, you can literally take several bills of different denominations, stacked on top of each other, stick them in the slot, and it sucks them all in at once and counts them appropriately. Gotta make some innovations if you're a space-age, cash-based economy I guess :v:

Da gently caress is this poo poo? Never seen a cash pump.

Here's how my fill up goes:

Stop.
Don't put your kickstand down or get off, you got poo poo to do and places to ride
Take off one glove and take out ya wallet.
Pop the gas cap.
credit card in the machine.
pop in my zip code if its a poor neighborhood.
pull the pump and hit 87
visor down
fill that poo poo.
pump goes back, no receipt.
Key back in, glove on, kill switch on and hit the starter.
peace!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

In before obvious "The Mountain That Rides" joke.

epalm posted:

Are you Gregor Clegane?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Stop.
Don't put your kickstand down or get off, you got poo poo to do and places to ride
Take off one glove and take out ya wallet.
Pop the gas cap.
credit card in the machine.
pop in my zip code if its a poor neighborhood.
pull the pump and hit 87
visor down
fill that poo poo.
pump goes back, no receipt.
Key back in, glove on, kill switch on and hit the starter.
peace!

same. but i also hit the 87 button with the tip of the gas nozzle cause i'm a badass.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I thought that was implied :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have to stop, walk inside, request $30 of 95 octane, pay, walk back outside, open the fuel cap, carefully nurse the nozzle on half-blast to avoid splashes and accidental deactivation for the entire time (two handed).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lol. It's an expensive day when it costs me more than $10 to fill up

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Was talking about the low-hanging double entendre.

nsaP posted:

Da gently caress is this poo poo? Never seen a cash pump.

Japan is weird like that, people just carry around several hundred dollars because so many smaller places don't take credit cards (just about every gas station I've come across does, but plenty of people don't have credit/debit cards the way we think of them).

They also separate gas stations from convenience stores 99.9% of the time (they're just starting to introduce them, but there are some old laws on the books that make it kind of a PITA), so you get to make two pitstops for the price of one :sigh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Lol. It's an expensive day when it costs me more than $10 to fill up

That's ok I'll just fill the tank on my small diesel car for $50 and gently caress off without a fill-up for the next 500km it's all good. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Filling up while sitting on the bike guys, who the hell goes INSIDE a gas station to pay for gas these days? I mean I bartend and have plenty of cash but it's always credit/debit card for me, in my 4-5 years of riding I don't think i've ever gotten off the bike to fill it up, especially with most bikes where the filler cap is right in front of you so you always get it topped off correctly while sitting on it. I'm 5'11 and have some pretty big bikes like my BMW K1200rs and don't have issues with sitting on it while filling up.

Also I wonder if it's actually more expensive to produce 91 octane fuel over 87 octane fuel or if it's just some marketing gimmick so people buy premium fuel for their econoboxes because it's superior to 87 when it's just more about compression ratio mostly. I'm glad the 954 requires only 87 which impressive for the power it makes. I mean some pumps the price difference is nearly 40cents between regular and premium. Only oddity i've noticed is that my triumph manual actually calls for the medium grade 89 octane fuel which I never pushed the button for before, quirky rear end brit bikes.....