Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty obviously setting up for FFX-3 which will be announced at TGS or something.

Sometimes I really hate Square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno, I always felt that the cooldown at the start of Disk 3 was pretty great as the calm before the storm. At least for me, I enjoyed it even more on my replay because you know everything is going to go to poo poo after Treno.

Yeah - I don't mind the pacing either actually, it's more that scenery-wise you're retreading the first section of the game. If the gang had left Dagger in Alexandria and taken a vacation at a Costa de Sol-type town somewhere it would have felt fresher. Anyway, it's a minor complaint because everything else is so great.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Sphere Break owns, sorry nerd.

How can I be a nerd if I'm too dumb to play it? Check mate... oh.

:smith:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Eddain posted:

Vivi was the best FF character.

I actually think the cast is the best out of any FF game, really. I liked them all, every last one. Quina was a great character, too- his or her love of food was played to the absolutely maximum hilarious potential every time. The writing was just fantastic. I could just rant about IX all day but I'll stop before I could get going.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty obviously setting up for FFX-3 which will be announced at TGS or something.
If it truly becomes a game, I really think they need to not acknowledge that FFX2.5 novel thing. The backlash was brutal in Japan. If you cut all that goofy stuff out, there could be a decent plot buried in there somewhere. Particularly Tidus struggling with coming back to life a bit weaker/different (which could just be an after thought of FFX-2, not because he was blowed up good). But then again there's that dumb emergence of Sin again, which makes little sense. Unless they want the storyline to be as long as Tidus can exist, so can Sin? So maybe they have to send him away again.

Why does Square hate happy endings? FF13 shits all over its characters for three games before writing self insertion fan fiction by the end of Lightning Returns.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

She was...worried about Yuna? Kind of not bright but willing to help out. Upbeat. Basically the exact same character they just gave her less screen time.

They also gave her a lot of cocaine prior to the start of the game and she's been nicking it the whole time. The bloody girl's a spaz in X-2. Yeah, it's not too removed from how she was in X, but in X she felt fairly believable--a cheery girl in a world lacking in that sort of thing. She had moments of seriousness and on the whole felt like...well, a 16 year old girl or whatever she's supposed to be.

Then again, she also acts like a teenager in X-2 just...a very different type of teenager.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
If I wanted to get the International version of FFXII to play on my PS2, what would I look for? A cursory search on Amazon for Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System shows only Japanese imports. Would that be what I'm looking for? Or should I look for a Region 1 version?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

mcswizzle posted:

If I wanted to get the International version of FFXII to play on my PS2, what would I look for? A cursory search on Amazon for Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System shows only Japanese imports. Would that be what I'm looking for? Or should I look for a Region 1 version?

FFXII IZJS was only released in Japan, so you won't be finding any other region versions. If you don't care about emulating, and have a US copy, you can play it in English using the patcher.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

mcswizzle posted:

It was never released in the US, so if you want to buy it legitimately you need the Japanese version. Then you can rip it, apply the English patch, and either play in an emulator or burn a disk for your PS2.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Harlock posted:

Why does Square hate happy endings? FF13 shits all over its characters for three games before writing self insertion fan fiction by the end of Lightning Returns.

My guess is that they think a tragic/bittersweet ending will always make the story better, even when it clashes tonally with the overall feel of the story that came before.

Granted, that's not to say that they should never, ever do those sorts of endings. Tactics' ending does work pretty well in that regard: Ramza's considered the greatest heretic of his time (at least until his real story is found during the introduction), but gets his sister back; Delita finally accomplishes his desire to become king, but ends up killing the only person in his life he was still in love with.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Eddain posted:

Vivi was the best FF character.

I hate FFIX and even I can't argue with this.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harlock posted:

This is why I never want them to make a sequel to FFIX.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Wait, FFX-3 is probably going to be a real thing?

That's a terrible idea but I guess about what we can expect from the brand at this point.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cerepol posted:

Hmm does the squenix store charge for preorder in full at the time of preorder or does it wait till it's about to ship?

Really want that Theatrhythm collectors edition

They don't charge you until the game is ready to ship.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Peel posted:

Wait, FFX-3 is probably going to be a real thing?

That's a terrible idea but I guess about what we can expect from the brand at this point.

There's no real confirmation, but there is a not 0% chance it is an actual thing they are making.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Eddain posted:

Vivi was is the best FF character.

I have yet to beat the game but I am on board this train.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApplesandOranges posted:

This is why I never want them to make a sequel to FFIX.

IX's ending is already pretty sad. Poor Vivi... :(

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06/05/something-related-to-final-fantasys-lighting-to-appear-on-famitsu-after-e3/

I'm getting tired of her.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

IX's ending is already pretty sad. Poor Vivi... :(

It's less sad, and more bittersweet. Yeah he lived a short life, but it was certainly full. He was a person who found a purpose in his manufactured existence: he had family, friends, and even "children." In the end, wasn't Vivi's message a happy one? Would his story be anywhere near as meaningful, or as as memorable if it wasn't so fated to be so brief? Vivi is an amazingly poignant character. FF9 may not be my favorite ff, that goes to FFT, but it certainly has some of the best characters.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 5, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Lightning confirmed for being Etro in FFXV, also confirmed for being Cloud and Aeris's great times 10 granddaughter after he broke up with Tifa and revived Aeris.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Has SE run completely out of their creative juices? Does anyone like Lightning? What the hell? I guess they learned nothing from Bravely Default outselling LR.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Captain Mog posted:

Has SE run completely out of their creative juices? Does anyone like Lightning? What the hell? I guess they learned nothing from Bravely Default outselling LR.

Yes, people like Lightning. She's incredibly popular in Japan. That's why they are milking the cash cow.

This has been brought up again and again.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
And she also has a really popular voice actress. We're going to be seeing Lightning-related stuff for quite a while still.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pureauthor posted:

Yes, people like Lightning. She's incredibly popular in Japan. That's why they are milking the cash cow.

I guess hearing from people who know Japanese well she's very different from how the english version ended up handling it. She's very angry and emotional but it didnt translate properly and so she just seems detatched and moody in the English script (mostly because the VAs were given no direction)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe it's a new Dissidia for consoles. Maybe she becomes an NPC in FF14 again. Maybe they're porting FF13 1-3 to Xbone/Ps4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's probably just costume DLC for FFXIV or something.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 5, 2014

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The weapon awards from the Lightning event in XIV were awesome so I wouldn't mind more of those.

EDIT: Am I crazy, or did I see Agrias as one of the new characters in Curtain Call?

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 5, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They also gave her a lot of cocaine prior to the start of the game and she's been nicking it the whole time. The bloody girl's a spaz in X-2. Yeah, it's not too removed from how she was in X, but in X she felt fairly believable--a cheery girl in a world lacking in that sort of thing. She had moments of seriousness and on the whole felt like...well, a 16 year old girl or whatever she's supposed to be.

Then again, she also acts like a teenager in X-2 just...a very different type of teenager.

Well I mean it's a natural evolution of the girl in X as she got older and didn't have to worry about killing sin/trying to not sacrifice her cousin to Sin. Like yeah she's way more out there and relaxed in X-2 but everyone is. To the point where someone like Leblanc can exist in setting and not stick out that much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention she's trying to keep Yuna upbeat too - she's the one who got her into this whole spherehunting thing to begin with. I'm not saying Rikku is the most deep character ever, but a lot of her peppiness is probably just her trying to keep the mood light - left to their own devices, Yuna and Paine would be the most depressing treasure hunters ever.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Well I mean it's a natural evolution of the girl in X as she got older and didn't have to worry about killing sin/trying to not sacrifice her cousin to Sin. Like yeah she's way more out there and relaxed in X-2 but everyone is. To the point where someone like Leblanc can exist in setting and not stick out that much.

I don't disagree, but X-2 is a really sharp tonal shift and Rikku is very "anime girl" stereotype who doesn't really act...human, for lack of a better term. Even Paine, whose largely just kind of sardonically hanging back, feels like a real person, and Yuna does as well. Rikku felt...I dunno, she felt very artificial to me. For all its flaws, the big appeal of FFX's cast is that it felt very human. Even characters who take more minor roles in teh endgame, like Wakka and Lulu, have a lot of variety to their moods and reactions and have aspects of humanity and genuine flaws. It's not that this isn't there but...X-2 is much more of a saturday morning cartoon than X is, and that works in some instances and works less in others.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pureauthor posted:

I didn't know Lightning was popular in Japan. There is a similar perception of FFXIII as a game in Japan to what it has in other regions (not good). I guess Lightning just outshines the game in Japan?

edit:sp

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 5, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Reception to FFXIII in Japan was very mixed, but Lightning still shone out above other characters in that game for most people. She reached the top of popularity polls and was used a lot in the marketing for XIII-2. Mostly due to factors like being the first female Protagonist where the game is actively about her, her voice actor in the Japanese is far more hot-blooded something lost in translation due to FF13's localization being incredibly lovely, and it wasn't FF12 which Japan pretty much unanimously hated, unlike America where reaction was heavily mixed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorry to double post, but SE of America's trailer for Curtain Call just showed up and it's really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRs4sPSTa_4

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Versus Mode looks really cool, provided I actually find other people to play the game with. :v:

Still, with over 60 characters and 220 songs, I'm only wishing it comes out sooner because so many games are coming out in September.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hope you gives are ready for FF XIII-4: Lightning Forever, and the sequel to that sequel. Lightning and Robin Noel.

I want a spin-off game where you travel through Dimensions stealing poo poo and causing problems as Gilgamesh, Ultros, and Chupon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beef Waifu posted:

Reception to FFXIII in Japan was very mixed, but Lightning still shone out above other characters in that game for most people. She reached the top of popularity polls and was used a lot in the marketing for XIII-2. Mostly due to factors like being the first female Protagonist where the game is actively about her, her voice actor in the Japanese is far more hot-blooded something lost in translation due to FF13's localization being incredibly lovely, and it wasn't FF12 which Japan pretty much unanimously hated, unlike America where reaction was heavily mixed.
Really? I loved 12 :shobon:

Why wasn't it a hit in Japan? Too atypical?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The open-endedness was probably a turn-off. Japan prefers linear games almost to a fault.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There were a few reasons:

The cast wasn't particularly well-received and the plot was pretty shallow and lackluster. Japanese fans already had access to the Tactics Ogre and FFT games so there wasn't a lot particularly unique in the story. It wasn't that it was atypical (largely because it wasn't really atypical), it just failed to have any characters anyone really liked. Balthier was probably the closest.

The License system was not liked at all, especially coming off FFX's Sphere Grid. They tried to fix this in the International edition with the Zodiac Job System.

The actual structure of the game wasn't well received. The open-world structure didn't really grab players and some found it so unstructured as to be unenjoyable. The plot, again, didn't help here as it didn't do a good job of providing a driving force or a reason to keep going.

A big complaint about the combat was that it was very slow and not very visually impressive. The former was why they added a Fast Forward button to International and the latter is probably part of why the first stuff we saw from FFXIII, even before they had a combat system down, was "look how fuckin' shiny this combat is."

It also performed unexpectedly bad with female players, who had responded very positively to FFX. It's hard to say why this is except for the aforementioned "nobody really liked any of the characters" thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 6, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The License system was not liked at all, especially coming off FFX's Sphere Grid. They tried to fix this in the International edition with the Zodiac Job System.

To me the most amusing thing was how FFX International changed the sphere grid to be a bit more open-ended since the original, despite its impressive appearance, was extremely linear.

Meanwhile, XII's zodiac job system changed to a stricter class-based system because the original version was too open as to make every character fundamentally the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

To me the most amusing thing was how FFX International changed the sphere grid to be a bit more open-ended since the original, despite its impressive appearance, was extremely linear.

Meanwhile, XII's zodiac job system changed to a stricter class-based system because the original version was too open as to make every character fundamentally the same.

Well, the thing with the FFX grid is that they called it the "Expert" grid and the idea was that it was for players who had already mastered the game. So it was less a change because of linearness and more a change which is theoretically supposed to be for the heavily mechanical players. The other International editions also did similar things where one of the selling points was "here is extra stuff for people who mastered the game." Except, ironically, FFXIII where what they added was an Easy mode.

FFXII is one of the rare ones where they made huge significant changes to the core mechanics.