Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Imagine, friends, being like me and only being 10 episodes into Harmontown. I have so many mysteries before me. And D&D, apparently, which I'm pretty stoked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Harmontown was a poo poo show tonight and it was amazing. Absolute cluster gently caress.

The whole crew was at the Renaissance Festival all day. Dan is really drunk and really high through the entire show. He tries and utterly fails to pitch his own religion, amongst other things.

Absolute must listen.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Goddamn I wish I could go. If I ever visit LA and Harmontown is still going...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God dan is the absolute worst DM ever

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Occupation posted:

God dan is the absolute worst DM ever

OR is he the best???????

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think giving Dan a breathalyzer test at the beginning and end of each show and listing the results in the iTunes summary would help me a lot in deciding when to listen to an episode.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drunkboxer posted:

OR is he the best???????

He's great in the sense that he's entertaining but he's a genuinely bad DM and his gimmick only works intermittently. He's not a good DM and can't craft a consistently appealing throughline like Spencer can

Forums Influencer
Jul 4, 2010
To be fair, Spencer puts some work into it, Dan's just drunkenly riffing. In terms of drunken pretend DMing, he's doing a great job.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Also I'm not sure you guys have fully appreciated how god drat loving drunk and high he was.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
That partybus sounded nightmarish. I just kept imagining it crashing, and all the surely-seatbeltless passengers flying in to the stripper pole, then falling through the plywood floor.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Community has been canceled. I wonder if this will have an impact on the next episode of Harmontown.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Community has been canceled. I wonder if this will have an impact on the next episode of Harmontown.
Reeeeaaaaally?!

Ugh whatever. The last season was a good Harmon burndown. The show had a pretty good arc minus the season he wasn't on. Viva le Rick e Morty

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I was hoping to attend Harmontown this weekend and checked the Nerdmelt calendar. Next Harmontown is the 18th.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder if the week was skipped due to the Community news, or other reasons.

In either case, I was hoping to listen to a seething Dan while the iron was hot. :allears:

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
It's in Portland this week.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Episode up!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Direct link to the latest episode: http://www.castmate.fm:8080/h/a/r/harmontownpodcast/HARMONTOWN%2099%20MAIN.mp3

And a link to the previous one (from when I was out of town): http://www.castmate.fm:8080/h/a/r/harmontownpodcast/HARMONTOWN%2098%20MAIN.mp3

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I was happy to see that Dan seemed to take Community's cancellation in stride. As he said, the people whose hearts are really broken are those who've invested so much unpaid labor in the show. He's still got Rick and Morty, and he's got plenty of open doors no doubt, so if he's OK, then I can be too :unsmith:

Gonna take Dan's throwaway rap line about a Community kickstarter as just that. The wound has just started to scab over!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I really liked Adam's quiz. I thought this was a decent episode but goddamn I wish they would make some progress in D&D more than like, once every 3 months.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, I liked everything except the half hour in the middle where Dan forced all his friends to tell him how great he is. That was boring and, to be quite honest, kinda sad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I spaced out in the middle after the quiz, yeah

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I did space out during that too, that happens to me a lot with podcasts because I listen while working, but especially when Dan gets going on something stupid

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Episode 101: http://podbay.fm/show/542228532/e/1401090421?autostart=1

"GRAB TARAGON!"

Great episode. I especially loved the deconstruction of the welder joke, DeMorge Brown's Obama impression, and every bit of D&D. Now that Spencer's had some absences from the show, they've done a better job of actually getting in some game time when they have him, so we finally get to have a little plot payoff, like Kumail's character finally getting uncursed unpossessed, after like 30 episodes or something. Spencer was really on, probably the funniest I can remember in a couple months.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
I just got to the lizette episode (I'm watching in sequential order, bitch) and the audience reaction was uncalled for. People jumping to the assumption that she's expressing heterosexual ignorance (and Harmon jumping to which gay is ontop) wasn't fair if we consider that she began with the male and female archetype.

Think of it this way: two introverted individuals are in a relationship. Naturally a system will develop where one is more extroverted in reaction to the other. Exhibiting more "masculine" and "feminine" roles in comparison to the partner isn't a homophobic sentiment. The underlying problem is that passivity is conceived of as feminine. But there are male and female natures. If there aren't than transexuality (and neural miswiring that necessitates sex change) is bullshit. The heckler seems like someone who's on a lower level of queer theory and had to fall back on "check your privilege" to get her point across.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Let it go.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

ireladd posted:

Let it go...RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Fixed that for ya.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Sithsaber posted:

I just got to the lizette episode (I'm watching in sequential order, bitch) and the audience reaction was uncalled for. People jumping to the assumption that she's expressing heterosexual ignorance (and Harmon jumping to which gay is ontop) wasn't fair if we consider that she began with the male and female archetype.

Think of it this way: two introverted individuals are in a relationship. Naturally a system will develop where one is more extroverted in reaction to the other. Exhibiting more "masculine" and "feminine" roles in comparison to the partner isn't a homophobic sentiment. The underlying problem is that passivity is conceived of as feminine. But there are male and female natures. If there aren't than transexuality (and neural miswiring that necessitates sex change) is bullshit. The heckler seems like someone who's on a lower level of queer theory and had to fall back on "check your privilege" to get her point across.

The "underlying problem," as you put it, is the problem. Her beginning with a male and female archetype is also a problem. All of this nonsense is based on the supposition that a relationship requires a dominant personality and a submissive personality (and then that those traits correspond to genders).

But, really, the problem was her digging her heels in when confronted with opposing perspectives because her opinion is an opinion, and opinions can't be wrong.

Arstan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 5, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also anyone who uses the line "you're intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance" is immediately a terrible human being

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Arstan posted:

The "underlying problem," as you put it, is the problem. Her beginning with a male and female archetype is also a problem. All of this nonsense is based on the supposition that a relationship requires a dominant personality and a submissive personality (and then that those traits correspond to genders).

But, really, the problem was her digging her heels in when confronted with opposing perspectives because her opinion is an opinion, and opinions can't be wrong.

What she probably meant to say was more dominate and more submissive. Hierarchies evolveorganically, even amongst couples and nerds. I'm not saying she wasn't abrasive, merely that wanting to express her opinion isn't dismissive of other's opinions.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Also anyone who uses the line "you're intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance" is immediately a terrible human being

One of many moments that let you know, hey I can walk away from this person now and not feel like an rear end in a top hat.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sithsaber posted:

What she probably meant to say was more dominate and more submissive. Hierarchies evolveorganically, even amongst couples and nerds. I'm not saying she wasn't abrasive, merely that wanting to express her opinion isn't dismissive of other's opinions.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

That would have worked if she was a regular character. 30% of Harmon's bit is "I'm rascist!"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You don't know what jokes are

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You don't know what jokes are

Obviously he isn't racist, but at times he does express objectionable stuff, and we love him for speaking his mind. The girl should have at least been allowed to finish her tangent.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
The next episode handled this well.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If I were an audience member at Harmontown I would never go up on stage for any reason. Harmontown audiences seem quite hostile to people who jump up a lot of the time, even despite Dan and Jeff encouraging participation.

I just remember that one dude who claimed to have recently broken up with his girlfriend, and the audience immediately went "Bullshit! No way a guy like you ever HAD a girlfriend!"

Even the hosts were amazed at that reaction.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I didn't buy it either. :colbert: His description of their relationship was unconvincing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

qbert posted:

If I were an audience member at Harmontown I would never go up on stage for any reason. Harmontown audiences seem quite hostile to people who jump up a lot of the time, even despite Dan and Jeff encouraging participation.

I just remember that one dude who claimed to have recently broken up with his girlfriend, and the audience immediately went "Bullshit! No way a guy like you ever HAD a girlfriend!"

Well a lot of the time people just get up there and don't have much to say. I think the success of a few weirdos becoming Harmontown "characters" sort of emboldens people. My favorite random person to take the mic was probably the psychiatrist lady who sort of threw a spotlight on the half-drunken pseudo-argument the hosts were having, because clarifying a topic and making the discussion more reasonable is something really out of character for the typical stage-stormer.

In a lot of ways this podcast is sort of a simulation of having a discussion/argument with your friends after you've been drinking for a few hours, which might explain why I like it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

qbert posted:

They're like lobsters who hold down the crustacea climbing out of the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I didn't buy it either. :colbert: His description of their relationship was unconvincing.
It was reported that she was wearing a fedora.