Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Okay I finally submitted Jon Jones. Yeah that system is weird but once you get the hang of it it isn't so bad. They should still totally redesign that for the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah I tried to leg kick Jones to death and it didn't work at all. Also stoppage by cuts is impossible to achieve.

Hopefully that stuff changes in the final build.

That's pretty backwards, I mean wasn't it Undisputed 2 or 3 that bragged about how you can finally leg kick a dude to victory? Kind of whack EA would release a demo that didn't demonstrate how the retail game will play in that respect.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bubba Smith posted:

Okay I finally submitted Jon Jones. Yeah that system is weird but once you get the hang of it it isn't so bad. They should still totally redesign that for the next game.

I think the submissions are easier than they have ever been, other than I guess the Mario Party brute force submission system. I messed up my first one really badly but then I realized that when you sub someone you're really the one defending until your button prompt comes up to advance. I think subbing actual players is going to be hard but it seems like getting the AI won't be too bad with this new method.

I don't like how the striking feels like it has no weight to it, especially the ground and pound. Knees from side control feel so weak I don't even do them.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
Game is wonky but it's kinda fun. The ground strikes look pretty shoddy and yet I just TKOed Bones with light taps from side mount. He was geysering blood all over the place. Ridiculous.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The worst thing about the game is that the controls are similar to Undisputed 3 but just different enough that I'm constantly trying to block high with R1 or grapple block without R2.

Also there is a little bit of carryover damage in between rounds, but most of it heals pretty quickly. It does seem like a better system than Undisputed's race to 100% head damage.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
As Gustaffson I just won 5 times in less than a minute (ok one was like 1:06) with 3 inside 20 seconds. Why am I reading about the guys having too good of chins?

Edit: Now 7 times. Good thing this is on the easiest difficulty.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 5, 2014

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I tried the demo and was kind of disappointed because I enjoyed the THQ ones. On the plus side, I feel like they aren't THAT far off, but it still needs some polish. Unless the final game turns out to be different than the demo, I will probably hold off until the sequel.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah compared to the THQ games (which I loved) the controls feel floaty. Ground controls will probably just require some getting used to but don't seem bad. Stand up feels like a downgrade though.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
This thread has caused me to reminisce about the second UFC Undisputed game. I preordered and on the day it launched I played some online matches against the actual real Jon Jones. The online was so broken, that was the only way I could get in a fight - inviting Jon Jones (he had tweeted his PSN name) and getting lucky enough to have him accept. This was back when he was still just a crazy young youtube striker/german suplexer. He was terrible at the game too. One time I armbarred him from the bottom with Mark Coleman and I could hear him protesting over the lovely indistinct voice chat. Needless to say he picked Jon Jones every time.

Overall that game sucked pretty bad but god there was some good griefing to be had. I was a big fan of wearing down an opponent to the point where their attacks were toothless and they got rocked basically any time a body shot landed. Then I would just run in, hit the body, and back away as that goofy gong sounded and everything went slomo. I would do it over and over again. People would lose their loving minds and I would cackle like a madman every time I heard that GONG followed by the sound of poorly digitized rage from far away.

If I got an opponent who was terrible at the ground game I would offer a rematch and pick someone like Royce Gracie or Dustin Hazelett, then not throw a single strike the entire fight. Just pull guard, sweep, and transition around until I felt like submitting them.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
Can anyone offer up some tips for how to make a fight last longer than 2 minutes? Every time I try to play defensively I get caught by a hard punch that rocks me and can't protect myself. I'm going to love this game I just need some advice on getting to the second round.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thermos H Christ posted:

This thread has caused me to reminisce about the second UFC Undisputed game. I preordered and on the day it launched I played some online matches against the actual real Jon Jones. One time I armbarred him from the bottom with Mark Coleman and I could hear him protesting over the lovely indistinct voice chat. Needless to say he picked Jon Jones every time.

This is great.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I've seen at least 3 different accounts now of people playing Undisputed against Jones and every one of them said he picked himself in every match.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
If I was a character in a UFC game I'd pick myself every time too, even in single player.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPFqvU2J9xQ

Played a few matches and got tapped a few times before this happened.

I like it enough that I'll buy it when it comes out but I definitely miss the polish of Undisputed 3.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Biodome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPFqvU2J9xQ

Played a few matches and got tapped a few times before this happened.

I like it enough that I'll buy it when it comes out but I definitely miss the polish of Undisputed 3.

That was so close to a Shonie Carter-reff'd moment

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My buddy texted me as he was trying this demo, he managed to lose 12 in a row before finally winning one.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
That's not surprising. This game does a horrible job of telling you how to actually fight. The tutorial is "hey press these buttons to do stuff!" instead of "here's how to set these strikes up and how to deal with your stamina"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bubba Smith posted:

That's not surprising. This game does a horrible job of telling you how to actually fight. The tutorial is "hey press these buttons to do stuff!" instead of "here's how to set these strikes up and how to deal with your stamina"

yeah, once I figured out that blocking does nothing for stamina recovery, I stopped trying to stand in the pocket and trade. The striking mechanics are way more primitive than Undisputed. Which is way loving weird considering the people responsible for Fight Night are in on this.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To be fair, I'm not so certain that's something that can be taught very well. It's a stretch to expect everyone who tries the game to know about MMA and enjoy watching it, but knowing how to set up your strikes comes at least partly from enjoying combat sports in real life and knowing from that what may work in the game, and managing your stamina is part common sense and part from playing the game.

When I was a kid playing boxing games back on the Mega Drive and PS1, I was clueless. When I got into boxing later on, I played some PS2 Boxing games and did much better at those because I actually knew about boxing.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The tutorial couldn't teach striking completely unless it was a 6 hour tutorial, but I'm just saying they could have done better than what they did which is just to show you what each button does on the controller and then they put you in a fight. A few simple tutorials of "move away from the cage, stay out of reach" "vary your head shots with body shots to keep the opponent guessing" etc. would have helped most newbies picking up the game and getting wrecked on easy.

Maybe the full game's tutorial is different and more elaborate.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
That NeoGAF thread linked last page has some gems.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

okay, game of the year.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

beggar posted:

That NeoGAF thread linked last page has some gems.

hell yea.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I bet there's enough to loop that middle part

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I bet there's enough to loop that middle part

First ever Reverse Giant Swing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://a.pomf.se/mfpnli.webm

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Has anyone not played as Gus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Jon Jones.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

I've tried but I can't. I'm not even joking it just feels so dirty to select Jon Jones as a playable character, especially when Gustafsson is right there. Maybe if the choices were Jones and Belfort I would take Jones some of the time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So if I kinda liked Undisputed but am really just a casual MMA fan (I know both the dudes in the demo though so hey at least I feel smarter than usual!) is this the kinda game for me? Like, it doesn't have to be 100% simmy but I like a little meat between face punching and arm hugging, you know?

I had fun loving around in the demo but there's not a ton to go on for the proper game experience beyond 'yea kicking this Swedish dude in the face feels good.'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So if I kinda liked Undisputed but am really just a casual MMA fan (I know both the dudes in the demo though so hey at least I feel smarter than usual!) is this the kinda game for me? Like, it doesn't have to be 100% simmy but I like a little meat between face punching and arm hugging, you know?

I had fun loving around in the demo but there's not a ton to go on for the proper game experience beyond 'yea kicking this Swedish dude in the face feels good.'

Wait for reviews and see how meaty career mode is, and how well the online plays, I suppose. The core game-play will never be a lot more than what the demo is offering you.

And play as Gus, don't be Jon Jones, that's just uncool.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

So a developer on the game recently went to reddit and fielded some questions. Here are the important bits I summarized without changing any of the responses for your reading pleasure:

Some dude who worked on the game posted:

Will there be any noticeable changes from the demo gameplay to the actual gameplay, given the short period until its full release?
There was a lot of tuning and bug fixing that happened between the time the demo was released and the time we shipped the retail version of the game.
So to answer your question, yes the gameplay will change. Will it be noticeable? I certainly hope so.

What's up with all the weird flashy strikes from fighters?
It's an interesting discussion though, what is an accurate moveset for fighters? The moves they have performed in UFC fights in the past, or the moves they are capable of performing physically? We fell more on the side of what they are capable of performing physically.
You will not see Roy Nelson doing cage kicks.

Why did you guys leave out standing submissions?
Time. I know it's not a great answer, but that's the reason. The guy who was working on submissions really wanted to do it, but we just couldn't fit it in. Sorry.

What differences will changing the difficulty make? The demo is set to easy.
Difficulty only impacts the CPU play, not the core mechanics of the game.

What the gently caress is up with Jon Jones constantly lunging forward and throwing spinning poo poo? I thought you said this game had good AI?
The difficulty setting is definitely a factor, tuning was done between the time the demo shipped and the retail version was complete, and of course the different fighters will behave differently.
I don't want to promise anything because everyone's idea of what a good CPU AI should look like is different, but I certainly wouldn't write off the CPU AI based off the small fraction of the game you've experienced.
Check out reviews and videos once the retail version comes out and make your judgement then.

A lot of dumb poo poo in this game doesn't resemble real fights at all.
There are a lot of ways to make the game look stupid, but our hope is that competitive matches will gravitate to more realistic fights once people master the mechanics and strategies.
We'll find out soon enough.

Why the gently caress does ground and pound look and feel so weak?
To the first point, there are a bunch of bugs that sound similar to what you're talking about that are fixed. We called them T-Rex punches, where the fighter appears to only punch with his arm and not the rest of the body. This was a flaw in the system that allows strikes and transitions to play simultaneously , and it was fixed. May also contribute to why some people feel the gnp feels feeble or weak at times.

Some of the gameplay and animations looks janky as all hell sometimes.
As for the smoothness for the game...I think it will be better. Like I said somewhere else there are a lot of bug fixes that went in after the demo was complete. But it's such a subjective thing it's hard to know what you're seeing that's contributing to it. I know I cringe when I watch the demo videos a bit because I see things I know we fixed. Are they the same things you're seeing. Not sure. I hope so.

So it sounds like the full version will feel and look a bit better but the core mechanics of what we played in the demo won't change a whole hell of a lot. That sounds good enough for me, but it's a bummer that there won't be much in the way of tweaking simulation. Honest answers to questions like the lack of standing submissions might mean they'll appear in the next installment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda love a dev being all "yea you can make the game look real dumb, hope you don't!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Those are the kinds of answers you want to see from a dev, I suppose.
I don't agree with the moveset answer. Just because Gus could throw some flying spinning poo poo physically doesn't mean that he would ever try it in a fight. We've seen video of JDS doing the Showtime kick in training, but he'd never do it in a fight, and they absolutely should allow Big Country to do a showtime.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yty9Zcb90c0

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It just reminds me of Rampage bitching about his character in the UFC games not being able to throw headkicks and Nevin Dravinski replying "well, you haven't actually thrown any and we want to be realistic"

Which, y'know, seems like a much better choice than Gus throwing jumping 540 kicks.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

I hope they don't fix any of the physics/animation glitches because those have been the best part of the demo footage by far. The inverted giant swing kick counter has me wanting the game more than anything else so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seymour Buttz posted:

I hope they don't fix any of the physics/animation glitches because those have been the best part of the demo footage by far. The inverted giant swing kick counter has me wanting the game more than anything else so far.

In shocking reverse of Brock Lesnar in WWE games, Antonio Cesaro as bonus fighter in EA UFC confirmed! Complete with crowd that can't count properly!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gaz-L posted:

In shocking reverse of Brock Lesnar in WWE games, Antonio Cesaro as bonus fighter in EA UFC confirmed! Complete with crowd that can't count properly!

Just put Genki Sudo in the drat game :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CarlCX posted:

It just reminds me of Rampage bitching about his character in the UFC games not being able to throw headkicks and Nevin Dravinski replying "well, you haven't actually thrown any and we want to be realistic"

Which, y'know, seems like a much better choice than Gus throwing jumping 540 kicks.

I hope that when the final game comes out the best strategy for every single fighter is to constantly throw the stupidest, flashiest techniques without regard to how they actually fight in reality. Online multiplayer just a whirlwind of stupid bullshit, with Johny Hendricks flying off the cage into a showtime kick only to be smacked out of the air by Nick Diaz's trademark au batido capoeira handstand kick.

• Locked thread