Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Ensign_Ricky posted:

They're a series of PSA comics, the first one is actually Electro smuggling drugs into Canada via hollow hockey pucks.

I am dead loving serious.

:canada:

I'll be darned. You're right. It's lucky Spidey got to them first before Canada's number one drug vigilante crew The Crack Busters.

One of them's a computer technologist, the other is a cigar-smoking ex-CFL star.

THEY FIGHT CRACK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chaos Hippy posted:

I had the second one long, long ago, and as I recall it was about Chameleon getting kids hooked on pills that looked like Substance D.

I'm Peter Parker?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Apparently a collection of Spider-man PSA comics were released as a trade a couple of years ago but I could never find a single copy anywhere. I'd give anything to own the one where he fights an alien who opposes sex ed.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

They're a series of PSA comics, the first one is actually Electro smuggling drugs into Canada via hollow hockey pucks.

I am dead loving serious.

:canada:

The best Spidey PSA comic was one put out in the 70's by Marvel and Planned Parenthood. Spider-Man thwarts a alien; the Prodigy; who comes to Earth and tries to convince teens to have a lot of unprotected sex so he can steal their babies and take them back to his homeworld as slave labor.

It's amazing

edit: barely beaten

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I'd give anything to own the one where he fights an alien who opposes sex ed.

The Amazing Spider-Man vs the Prodigy.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

WickedHate posted:

"Giant baby snatch" is some fantastic wording.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Smack my bitch up.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Spider-Man appears to be fairly progressive about sex, at least for the time I assume this was printed.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It was a collaboration with Planned Parenthood.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Not sure of the legality so I'll delete the link if it's considered :filez: but Retronaut recently posted scans of that Spider-Man/Planned Parenthood comic

http://www.retronaut.com/2014/04/spiderman-and-planned-parenthood/

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

apsouthern posted:

Not sure of the legality so I'll delete the link if it's considered :filez: but Retronaut recently posted scans of that Spider-Man/Planned Parenthood comic

quote:

The Prodigy’s voice took on its special magnetic powers when the rocket ship coming from his native planet, Intellectia, in the Andromeda Galaxy, passed through the earth’s ionosphere. Because of weak deflector shields his vocal cords were exposed to intense heat and radiation. On Earth, his voice draws people to him like a vacuum cleaner.

:allears:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 6, 2014

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Cangelosi posted:

I'll be darned. You're right. It's lucky Spidey got to them first before Canada's number one drug vigilante crew The Crack Busters.

One of them's a computer technologist, the other is a cigar-smoking ex-CFL star.

THEY FIGHT CRACK!

Oof. The wheels sort of came off ol' Rich Buckler in the 80s:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

apsouthern posted:

http://www.retronaut.com/2014/04/spiderman-and-planned-parenthood/

'How I love the way I get them to swallow all the sludge I hand out.'

Yowzer! :aaa:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

kdrudy posted:

Spider-Man appears to be fairly progressive about sex, at least for the time I assume this was printed.

The big thing that jumps out at me is it obviously being written before HIV/AIDS. "Just a few shots"!

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Cangelosi posted:

THEY FIGHT CRACK!

Was their nemesis Rob Ford?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Was their nemesis Rob Ford?

No, he was on the team. He was in charge of disposal.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Metalshark posted:

'How I love the way I get them to swallow all the sludge I hand out.'

Yowzer! :aaa:

I have only one thing to say about this comic.

PHRASING!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cangelosi posted:

THEY FIGHT CRACK!

No one looks remotely like a hero character on that cover. The Crack Busters would not look out of place fighting against GI Joe or Daredevil.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Cangelosi posted:

THEY FIGHT CRACK!

:cop:I like how they've both dropped large handfuls of pills. Means they were caught off guard and just face stomped. If it happened today they'd both be incarcerated longer than the crack dealers. :cop:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Uthor posted:

The big thing that jumps out at me is it obviously being written before HIV/AIDS. "Just a few shots"!

VD is also apparently one single illness.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It effectively was in the mid 70s, as the big-ticket diseases like syphilis and gonorrhea were all bacterial and easily curable, while the heavy-duty viral ones would come later - even genital herpes wasn't medically recognised until the late 70s/early 80s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

It effectively was in the mid 70s, as the big-ticket diseases like syphilis and gonorrhea were all bacterial and easily curable, while the heavy-duty viral ones would come later - even genital herpes wasn't medically recognised until the late 70s/early 80s.

Do you suppose mutants are immune to those as well?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There was a Spider-Man/Power Pack sexual harassment PSA comic, but I really don't want to search for it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

There was a Spider-Man/Power Pack sexual harassment PSA comic, but I really don't want to search for it.

That was the one that revealed Peter Parker was molested as a kid. It also had a young boy Spider-Man was helping abused by an older woman so it was kind of progressive in that regard.

The entire thing is really :smith:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I always kind of considered it plausibly canon that Peter was abused as a child. His personality was partly developed based on childhood trauma and vulnerability in the first place, and I don't know, it'd be kind of inspiring for someone who went through that to grow up to be Spider-man.

That's probably pretty stupid, but not as stupid as Mark Millar thinking that Spider-man being raped is hilarious and joking about bringing his rapist back as a super-villain who fucks people in the rear end.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pretty sure "being attracted to a person who's of the same sex" is the textbook definition of homosexuality, Spidey.

Lurdiak posted:

That's probably pretty stupid, but not as stupid as Mark Millar thinking that Spider-man being raped is hilarious and joking about bringing his rapist back as a super-villain who fucks people in the rear end.
:stare: More info on this please. Here I thought Kevin Smith's arc where Black Cat talks about that time she was raped was a standalone example of awfulness.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kevin Smith was being sincere. Mark Millar was joking.

I have the Spider-Man/Skids Child Abuse comic.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Knormal posted:

Pretty sure "being attracted to a person who's of the same sex" is the textbook definition of homosexuality, Spidey.

Pretty sure you're extremely loving wrong, champ. Bisexual people exist, for a start.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Atmus posted:

No, he was on the team. He was in charge of disposal.

Rob Ford was their Doop. They'd give him the drugs they confiscated and he'd open his great gaping maw and they'd disappear inside him forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rob Ford was their Doop. They'd give him the drugs they confiscated and he'd open his great gaping maw and they'd disappear inside him forever.

Not to mention the horrific home videos.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lurdiak posted:

I always kind of considered it plausibly canon that Peter was abused as a child. His personality was partly developed based on childhood trauma and vulnerability in the first place, and I don't know, it'd be kind of inspiring for someone who went through that to grow up to be Spider-man.

Kinda puts that whole deal with Mephisto into a new light too.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cabbit posted:

Pretty sure you're extremely loving wrong, champ. Bisexual people exist, for a start.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homosexual

quote:

1: of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex
I'm not denying bisexuality or any of the other shades of human sexuality, but if you're attracted to a member of the same sex you're exhibiting a homosexual attraction, that is literally what the word means. I supposed if you want to get pedantic a bisexual person is not "a homosexual", but I really don't think that's what the authors of that page were implying. That line just struck me as a really weird way of trying to force denial on the kids, like "Don't worry bro, you can totally be attracted to guys without being one of those gays!", but I guess something like trying to say it's totally okay to be attracted to someone of the same sex would have been too progressive for the 70's.

But I'm not going to participate in this derail anymore, here's Wonder Woman double-fisting Superman in the balls. No idea of the source, but there are surprisingly few images of Superman getting hit in the balls that come up in a image search.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's just saying that having a close emotional bond or a passing sexual thought about a same sex friend doesn't mean you're gay. A homosexual attraction doesn't make you any more a homosexual than a heterosexual attraction does the opposite - it's all about the degree of exclusivity.

FF#222

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man, she's loving dead. Look at that neck angle.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Why would he need to make his hand giant to slap his wife? Oh, right, because he's Reed Richards, bastard extraordinaire. :v:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cangelosi posted:

THEY FIGHT CRACK!

I can only hope their battle cry was "IT'S TIME FOR A CRACK ATTACK" :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Bravo posted:

Why would he need to make his hand giant to slap his wife? Oh, right, because he's Reed Richards, bastard extraordinaire. :v:

The artist was afraid you might forget his powers if they weren't on display even for a second.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

X-Men #49 Bishop Goes Wild! Comic – February 1, 1996

His human face looks like it was drawn by Peter Chung.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jeff Matsuda embodied everything wrong with 90's art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Uncanny X-men Vol. 1, No.296, January 1993

• Locked thread