Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

a language that lets you feel like you're doing something very clever without actually accomplishing anything useful in the process.

Mr Dog posted:

the first like 60 seconds that a backend is unavailable instead of immediately throwing a 503 because

i just like how you've spent equal time defending the runtime performance of java and asking for workarounds for your java runtime issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

One thing I'd appreciate is if Hotstop used mmap and SHM to pool all the decompressed/JITted .class files it loads into memory. That way we wouldn't need these stupid rear end "application containers". That might be a fun patch to contribute upstream actually but I'd imagine that actually implementing this would open up a whole Pandora's Box of poo poo.

Right now I have 2x300MB JVM instances running on my server, most of which is data and code common to both processes because my app isn't really all that complicated. But running those two applications from public static void main with an embedded Jetty in each is still far less of a fuckshow than trying to use Tomcat.

btw on that note does anybody know how to make Apache mod_proxy make requests block for the first like 60 seconds that a backend is unavailable instead of immediately throwing a 503 because I'm risking data loss every time I restart my application in its current form thx (don't worry nobody's actually paying me money for this poo poo).

tomcat is fine.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

i just like how you've spent equal time defending the runtime performance of java and asking for workarounds for your java runtime issues

how is using a lovely load balancer a java issue

do you have some miracle application server that doesn't need good LB because it boots instantly?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how is using a lovely load balancer a java issue

do you have some miracle application server that doesn't need good LB because it boots instantly?

i didn't realise waiting for a minute for something to start was industry best practice.

i know rails takes about that long but i thought you java people only did the slow start for desktop apps

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

tomcat is fine.

jetty is easier to configure and deploy

edit: it is especially easier on the ops side. a jar w/ embedded jetty is just a regular unix process that gets started and stopped. there's no separate deployment step. push binaries. restart service

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 4, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

i didn't realise waiting for a minute for something to start was industry best practice.

i know rails takes about that long but i thought you java people only did the slow start for desktop apps

i assume a full minute was hyperbole

but yeah. poo poo takes a long loving time to recycle. it's not just rails and java servlets. django boot. .net app pool recycles. all kinds of poo poo takes time

computers get faster so our software can get slower

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

tef posted:

the client VM starts up faster, it has Class Data Sharing

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

hepatizon posted:

wait what? i don't understand how it could possibly be easier

"merge from upstream" button instead of "create a pull request, figure out whether the left or the right drop down should be the original, click merge"

i mean i guess it's not as bad as it used to be, you don't have to do it all locally. but it's a p common task to want to merge upstream changes, and having to gently caress around manually creating a pull request and then accepting it is a bit tedious

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
christ are you two being wilfully dense or something

e: tef and bsd

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

BSD yes, tef no.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

the client VM starts up faster, it has Class Data Sharing

i thought the client vm was essentially dead

e.g. it doesn't even compile on linux/x86_64

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

apache is not exactly the world's most sophisticated load balancer. it will reverse proxy, maintain a connection pool, and do some very basic lb stuff

it doesn't support health checks, so it has no magical way to know you recycled a node. you can either tune the timeouts, or not.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

computers get faster so our software can get slower

the java motto

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah but i'm not exactly operating loving Google Search here. it's a side project. the apache frontend handles reverse proxying, static content serving, request logging, and ssl just like a web server ought to, and the backend handles just the web ui stuff just like an application server is supposed to. for my purposes it's the simplest thing that could possibly work (i.e. i don't want to have to deal with logging, ssl termination, and static content poo poo in my web app, i let http's inherent composability take care of that)

if this was :pcgaming: web scale :pcgaming: then I'd use a CDN for the static assets and a real reverse proxy in front of a pool of app tiers with a replicated db of some sort. but i don't, i have like, maybe 200 active users at most, i don't have to care about any of that poo poo.

Restarting the back end takes a few seconds, not a minute, but I don't have control over the client. one of the two clients is an http rpc thing that will just retry its request three times rapid-fire and then shrug and just lose data if the third attempt fails.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

the java motto

mgmt pays attention to how long it takes to shove stories out the door. last i checked "make the startup time acceptable to some guy on the internet" wasn't in the backlog

Mr Dog posted:

yeah but i'm not exactly operating loving Google Search here. it's a side project. the apache frontend handles reverse proxying, static content serving, request logging, and ssl just like a web server ought to, and the backend handles just the web ui stuff just like an application server is supposed to. for my purposes it's the simplest thing that could possibly work (i.e. i don't want to have to deal with logging, ssl termination, and static content poo poo in my web app, i let http's inherent composability take care of that)

if this was :pcgaming: web scale :pcgaming: then I'd use a CDN for the static assets and a real reverse proxy in front of a pool of app tiers with a replicated db of some sort. but i don't, i have like, maybe 200 active users at most, i don't have to care about any of that poo poo.

Restarting the back end takes a few seconds, not a minute, but I don't have control over the client. one of the two clients is an http rpc thing that will just retry its request three times rapid-fire and then shrug and just lose data if the third attempt fails.

can you make apache fall back to a backend that just logs the request, then replay the log once the app server is restarted

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mr Dog posted:

apache frontend handles reverse proxying, static content serving, request logging, and ssl just like a web server ought to, and the backend handles just the web ui stuff just like an application server is supposed to. for my purposes it's the simplest thing that could possibly work (i.e. i don't want to have to deal with logging, ssl termination, and static content poo poo in my web app, i let http's inherent composability take care of that)

if this was :pcgaming: web scale :pcgaming: then I'd use a CDN for the static assets and a real reverse proxy in front of a pool of app tiers with a replicated db of some sort.

once again mr dog I understand some of the words you are saying

is there like an oreilly pocket guide for modern web architectures or something? I dont web but it's interesting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

1. set the timeouts super short
2. use a connection pool
3. run two copies of the server
4. recycle them one at a time

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

BSD yes, tef no.

you pop up so often with nothing to say that i am starting to think you just stalk my posts

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Mr Dog posted:

Restarting the back end takes a few seconds, not a minute, but I don't have control over the client.

oh, ok. that's a bit annoying.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you pop up so often with nothing to say that i am starting to think you just stalk my posts

I stalk Mr Dog's posts actually.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Internaut! posted:

once again mr dog I understand some of the words you are saying

is there like an oreilly pocket guide for modern web architectures or something? I dont web but it's interesting

don't ask me i'm like 10 years out of date with this poo poo, although most of the new stuff revolves around new and exciting ways to dildo your own rear end using javascript on the client side (and server side via node.js if ur dumb)

A reverse proxy is an HTTP server that forwards requests from the open internet to another HTTP server (usually one embedded inside a web application process), typically one inside your firewall or on localhost. They often perform some sort of load balancing. In my example I use one to handle all the gunk that isn't related to actually turning a request into a set of database queries and response HTML: logging the request, handling the SSL, that sort of thing.

A CDN is a content distribution network. it is a paid service that hosts static files for you via HTTP. Their bandwidth and storage costs tend to be much smaller than yours due to economies of scale. Akamai is a popular one, and Amazon S3 can also be used as a CDN.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I stalk Mr Dog's posts actually.

:blush:

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 4, 2014

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

mgmt pays attention to how long it takes to shove stories out the door. last i checked "make the startup time acceptable to some guy on the internet" wasn't in the backlog

Yeah, gently caress they guys who actually run it. They can all stay late for a 20 hour shift to bounce the cluster right?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
p much yeah if they don't like it they can find a new job i'm paying those slackers too much anyway rule 36 bitch

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Zombywuf posted:

Yeah, gently caress they guys who actually run it. They can all stay late for a 20 hour shift to bounce the cluster right?

well, yes. if it's a BFD then they can talk to my boss and it'll get done pretty loving fast. ops comes to us with requests often enough that we have a specific story type for them, and our turnaround on ops asks is 2-4 weeks aka 1 release cycle

my understanding is that it's not a high priority for ops because the NOC handles stuff like that and those guys are 24/7 already

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

well, yes. if it's a BFD then they can talk to my boss and it'll get done pretty loving fast. ops comes to us with requests often enough that we have a specific story type for them, and our turnaround on ops asks is 2-4 weeks aka 1 release cycle

my understanding is that it's not a high priority for ops because the NOC handles stuff like that and those guys are 24/7 already

So what you're saying is your lovely software^Wstories need an army to run?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
so has anyone else played with Nimrod yet? (http://nimrod-lang.org/)

it gets compiled to C, has optional garbage collection (and two different implementations), and extremely powerful macro functionality that operates on the AST at compile time.

i've been having fun with it

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

mgmt pays attention to how long it takes to shove stories out the door.

ops comes to us with requests often enough that we have a specific story type for them

I'm not familiar with this usage of the word "story"

is this from some hot new development/PM methodology I should be aware of

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Internaut! posted:

story as used in "user story". probably from agile or scrum. welcome to 2004, when this poo poo swept the industry the first time.

i'm only half being snarky, you should really look this poo poo up. at least browse wikipedia. it is mostly snake oil but people expect you to know this and look at you like a space alien if you don't understand the kanban tracking the 6-month sprint for their agile waterfall

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Internaut! posted:

here it means work item p. much

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is mostly snake oil but people expect you to know this and look at you like a space alien if you don't understand the kanban tracking the 6-month sprint for their agile waterfall

eh probably not in my industry but yeah I'll check it out

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i am employed therefore i use windows

i haven't had to deploy to windows in over six years, eh, it's a living.

quote:

if i want to use the psycopg2 binary installer i need a vanilla python installation. if i use a vanilla python i need to build the qt4 applications and packages myself. gently caress me

welcome to programming, also welcome to using windows and not using the microsoft ecosystem

fwiw you could probably run two installs of python that talk to each other

BUT THEN YOU'D HAVE TWO PROBLEMS HA HA HA HA HA HA

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're smart enough to use windows you're probably smart enough to not use python

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ironpython lol

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i use scala

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
use jython, get access to all the great java libraries from the plang you love. qt is bad: write your GUI in swing.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

eh probably not in my industry but yeah I'll check it out

a story: a feature request written like software fanfic.

kanban: we have a number of post-it notes and we move them from left to right

agile: we have no long term plans and you need to keep up with our improvisation

(compare: waterfall, we only have to think everything out in advance before doing it)

sprint (theory): like a tiny release cycle, where you start with planning, code for a week or so, and then maybe a breakdown at the end

burndown chart: a chart that goes down in number to show progress

sprint (practice): whatever management has said to do today, we're agile you know

scrum™ - we paid for an agile consultant and someone on our team has a certificate too

continuous integration - we have a build server

continuous deployment - the cron job to build things does make && make install

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
now do personas

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

agile: we have no long term plans and you need to keep up with our improvisation

(compare: waterfall, we only have to think everything out in advance before doing it)

sprint (theory): like a tiny release cycle, where you start with planning, code for a week or so, and then maybe a breakdown at the end

sprint (practice): whatever management has said to do today, we're agile you know

scrum™ - we paid for an agile consultant and someone on our team has a certificate too

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

i haven't had to deploy to windows in over six years, eh, it's a living.

welcome to programming, also welcome to using windows and not using the microsoft ecosystem

fwiw you could probably run two installs of python that talk to each other

BUT THEN YOU'D HAVE TWO PROBLEMS HA HA HA HA HA HA

I read your post in ridley's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted: