Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

How about :

Full-bearded peter, who's divorced from MJ with a daughter he sees every other weekend. Has to do fatherly things, stop bad guys, still has a poo poo job and currently trying to get back on the dating scene??

Basically "The Amazingly Dead-Beat Spider-Dad"!

Beards age him to much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The Edge of the Spider-verse mini sounds pretty solid.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Suben posted:

Gerard Way is writing one of the Spider-Verse tie-in prequel books.

I'm fairly okay with this. What I've read of Umbrella Academy wasn't really my taste but it seemed pretty competently done.

Also, my pitch for a (probably AU) Spider-Man book: Peter and Mary Jane married right out of high school and had a kid, but divorced amicably and stayed friends, and Peter (in his early to mid-20s) has to juggle fighting crime, finishing up his journalism degree at NYU, being a decent father to his kid, taking care of Aunt May (who he lives with not because HE has to but because she's elderly and genuinely needs his help around the house), and trying to live his own life on top of all of this.

Essentially, you would have a slice-of-life comic about a millenial 20-something trying to shoulder a poo poo-ton of responsibility coming from all different angles without sacrificing his own happiness, except one of those angles is supervillains terrorizing NYC. :v: The focus of it would be more on Peter as a person than on Peter as a superhero, and while it would undoubtedly age him, it would basically age him to where the bulk of Marvel's readers nowadays are at (but without sacrificing the central theme of the character to get there).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Essentially, you would have a slice-of-life comic about a millenial 20-something trying to shoulder a poo poo-ton of responsibility coming from all different angles without sacrificing his own happiness, except one of those angles is supervillains terrorizing NYC. :v: The focus of it would be more on Peter as a person than on Peter as a superhero, and while it would undoubtedly age him, it would basically age him to where the bulk of Marvel's readers nowadays are at (but without sacrificing the central theme of the character to get there).

Yeah but they have made it quite clear they don't want him to actually face any sort of real life problems. Especially in that particular bracket of stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MagnesiumB posted:

That's a pitch I can get behind. Also kinda makes me wonder what a Louis C.K. written comic would be like.

"Everything's Amazing (Spider-Man) and Nobody's Happy"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MagnesiumB posted:

That's a pitch I can get behind. Also kinda makes me wonder what a Louis C.K. written comic would be like.

Probably awesome. Patton Oswalt wrote a really good JLA story. Comics write good comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beards age him to much.

Not if the stories took place more in Brooklyn.

Or maybe Marvel could do a special beard month of issues. Movember Marvel, proceeds go to charity. Every superhero (and superheroine...?) sports a different, bitchin' beard for an issue or two. Because of some Asgardian magic screw up thing.

Edit: <<--- And JJJ is conspicuously missing his `stache.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Lobok posted:

Not if the stories took place more in Brooklyn.

Or maybe Marvel could do a special beard month of issues. Movember Marvel, proceeds go to charity. Every superhero (and superheroine...?) sports a different, bitchin' beard for an issue or two. Because of some Asgardian magic screw up thing.

Edit: <<--- And JJJ is conspicuously missing his `stache.

The stories could just take place on Earth-200500, where all of the Avengers have beards:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

techknight posted:

The stories could just take place on Earth-200500, where all of the Avengers have beards:

Oh man things I never knew I wanted until today

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but they have made it quite clear they don't want him to actually face any sort of real life problems. Especially in that particular bracket of stuff.

"We have a character who rose to popularity because people could relate to him, via the real world problems he had. Let's ditch all that gay poo poo and have him come up with magic suits and give him a magic job!"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

"We have a character who rose to popularity because people could relate to him, via the real world problems he had. Let's ditch all that gay poo poo and have him come up with magic suits and give him a magic job!"

Seriously. "It's not like taking a giant poo poo on the character's entire history will have any kind of negative effect. Just look at how well The New 52 is working out for DC!!!!"

I can't understand any part of this clusterfuck. I mean if you want to tone down the Spider-Drama then just have Spidey go on fun adventures. It's not like he has a shortage of friends with super-problems to nose around in. But no instead it's this weird yo-yo of EVERYTHING SUCKS FOREVER/EVERYTHING IS PERFECT/EVERYTHING SUCKS AGAIN

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Yinlock posted:

I can't understand any part of this clusterfuck.

People keep buying it.

Seriously, outside of SA and a few reddit users, most people I talk to love Slott's run. It's... insane. I've heard people call it the definitive run, non-sarcastically, and saying someone finally got it right.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TheJoker138 posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man is great at least.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

People keep buying it.

Seriously, outside of SA and a few reddit users, most people I talk to love Slott's run. It's... insane. I've heard people call it the definitive run, non-sarcastically, and saying someone finally got it right.

and after Nu52 DC readership went up. The old buy anything guard needs to die off and maybe through a combination of abandoning physical media and good writing instead of endless nerd bait comics might survive.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 9, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

techknight posted:

Just realising that Scarlet Witch looks like Conchita Wurst. :allears:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Myrddin Emrys posted:

People keep buying it.

Stab these people.

although I can't stop buying spidey after 8 years of us editions, over 10 years total though

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First Look at the 100th Anniversary Special Spider-Man 1

quote:

“We’re jumping into a story already in progress for this issue,’” explains writer Sean Ryan. “We’re treating this issue as if it was the last issue in a long arc that has been running in the Spider-Man books for a while.

The concept is cool as hell and how I hope the Future's End issues over DC will be, but the story sounds kind of silly (Kingpin owns a tech enhanced Venom symbiote that allows him to merge with the cyberspace) :v:

Oh and the art is fantastic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First Look at the 100th Anniversary Special Spider-Man 1

The concept is cool as hell and how I hope the Future's End issues over DC will be, but the story sounds kind of silly (Kingpin owns a tech enhanced Venom symbiote that allows him to merge with the cyberspace) :v:

Oh and the art is fantastic.

They already did that story.

It even involved Venom!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yuck.

That book wishes it could be Spider-Man: Reign. Though I weep for any 100 year book coming out with the knowledge that Stokoe is doing his thing with Avengers.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Edge of Spider-Verse stuff

I am pretty drat hyped for Gwen as a Spider-person. That hoodie! Has this been done before?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That Gwen needs to be put into 616 immediately. That costume is awesome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There is going to be so goddamn many dead Spider-Men by the end of this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WickedHate posted:

So long as Spider-Ham pulls through, we'll be okay.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-Ham is going the Slapstick route. Lots of brutal murder. The villain's mole even, perhaps.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Oh my god Gwen is going to be one of them?

That would be laughably terrible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motherfucker's getting turned into sandwiches.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Temper your enthusiasm with the knowledge that all of these cool designs will be largely drawn by loving Ramos.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Temper your enthusiasm with the knowledge that all of these cool designs will be largely drawn by loving Ramos.

Not that one though! That'll be by Robbi Rodriguez.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Gwen's Peter died in a similar fashion to 616 Pete before she hooked up with party-boy Flash Thompson. So, you get this situation where Peter and Gwen are basically finding alternate versions of themselves who are mutually more capable of protecting themselves against supervillains.

I mean, at the very least, it's predetermined that Spider-Gwen's Pete is dead and her dad was probably her Ben as well.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Gwen's Peter died in a similar fashion to 616 Pete before she hooked up with party-boy Flash Thompson. So, you get this situation where Peter and Gwen are basically finding alternate versions of themselves who are mutually more capable of protecting themselves against supervillains.

I mean, at the very least, it's predetermined that Spider-Gwen's Pete is dead and her dad was probably her Ben as well.

Nope! There's an interview on Marvel's site about it. It sounds pretty awesome.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/6/10/22663/on_the_edge_of_spider-verse_spider-woman

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider-Gwen sounds more interesting than Spider-Man. Batgirl meets Spidey. And that look is amazing!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Shame her face on that cover looks horrendous.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Schneider Heim posted:

Edge of Spider-Verse stuff

I am pretty drat hyped for Gwen as a Spider-person. That hoodie! Has this been done before?

Ahem. It is scientific proof that Spider People with hoodies are always the best :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Place your bets, what are the odds that Spider-Gwen gets ported over to 616?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
The whole concept of Spider-Gwen is the most interesting and refreshing Spider-Man in recent years.

But it will likely be terrible.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would have preferred Ben and Peter and MJ and Gwen as a core for a Spidey series but Peter and Spider Gwen and Kaine with MJ is fine...let's give MJ Superman's power set.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I actually really liked MJ getting spider powers in Spider-Island and kind of wish she'd kept them.

Of course when you've beaten back both the Will O Wisp and Chameleon with no powers, I guess you don't really need them.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

PoshAlligator posted:

The whole concept of Spider-Gwen is the most interesting and refreshing Spider-Man in recent years.

But it will likely be terrible.

But they all the tie-ins have decent to good creative teams?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god I think newspaper Spider-Man is really going to do the whole Superior Spider-Man arc. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nah, it's probably just gonna be generic "aha! i pretended to be good so they'd bail me out of jail!" arc. That said, i'd love to see the newspaper do Superior. :allears:

• Locked thread