Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus on marketing.

Mary Worth

"You don't have to swim, Olive! We all float down here!"

Rex Morgan MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

:argh:

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Right-click and copy the image onto your clipboard like you were going to paste it into photoshop, and just ctrl-v (or option-v) anywhere in the imgur upload window.

Well, I'll be dogged! That's easy! Thanks!

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Edit: Somebody's gotta want this thing:

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 6, 2014

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

This is a prime example of the Nancys I hate the most. A straight line followed by a bunch of super clunky glurge instead of a punchline. Say what you will about Rose is Rose's saccharine dialogue but this right here is way more unbearable to me. Gilchrist can't form a joke on the best of days, but this is the exact opposite of a joke. This is the comic equivalent of grossly sweet emails grandmas forward to each other.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

If he could pull the guns out of their hands, why was all the cloning stuff necessary?? :psyboom:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Alabaster White posted:

If he could pull the guns out of their hands, why was all the cloning stuff necessary?? :psyboom:
Mandrake's a magician, he's gotta find some way to show off. Remember how long he dicked around wifh the inspector who was just there to tell him about the case?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 18, 1927)

Peanuts (June 6, 1996)

Sparky in WW2: "[Schulz] served as a staff sergeant with the 20th Armored Division in Europe, as a squad leader on a .50 caliber machine gun team. His unit saw combat only at the very end of the war. Schulz said that he only ever had one opportunity to fire his machine gun but forgot to load it. Fortunately, he said, the German soldier he could have fired at willingly surrendered."

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Mandrake's a magician, he's gotta find some way to show off. Remember how long he dicked around wifh the inspector who was just there to tell him about the case?

Mandrake spent more time loving with the inspector than he did tracking Algie down and catching him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It doesn't usually get posted here because its ideas have largely been played out, but Metafilter recently has been abuzz with some discussion about this week's Pearls Before Swine:

The latest one:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

And the witty banter continues...

Non Sequitur

The image of Cap'n Eddie at Woodstock is just killin' me. :v:

Heavenly Nostrils caught up for the second time this week.

Kliban

:psyduck:

Zits

Not having a tattoo, is the ink in too deep to have any effect on UV absorbtion?

Kevin & Kell

Interesting attempt, Holbrook, but it didn't quite work in my book.

:v:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears

Alternate punch line: "Then you can take over writing Funky Winkerbean."

The Dinette Set just makes me sad today.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Ok, firstly, didn't she bring scissors with her? Wasn't that the threat that got her in the door? Secondly, again, why wasn't she hunting down a reading copy of this book? She wanted it for completion sake, I'm sure she could've found a VG or below copy for a reasonable price and not had to destroy something this guy put extra money into preserving.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

Writing a gag about the Mayflower and drawing one of Christopher Columbus's ships. That's some attention to detail, Peters.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Selachian posted:

Writing a gag about the Mayflower and drawing one of Christopher Columbus's ships. That's some attention to detail, Peters.

Also lazy: an "April showers bring May flowers" joke in June.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

These Maladjusted Comics need help, not hate.

Pooch Café

Me irl

Ballard Street

How is he the only one up there? Any party I've ever been to, one person going out on the roof means twelve people go out on the roof until the truss cracks or we get yelled at to get the gently caress down before the truss cracks.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

I have a cat who did this, would paw at the door to the outside porch on and on, but if it swung open, off she scampered, no longer interested.

Cow and Boy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Ok, firstly, didn't she bring scissors with her? Wasn't that the threat that got her in the door? Secondly, again, why wasn't she hunting down a reading copy of this book? She wanted it for completion sake, I'm sure she could've found a VG or below copy for a reasonable price and not had to destroy something this guy put extra money into preserving.

Third, even if this is one of the only copies in existence, and even if she knows her son won't care about that and will want to open it up and read it, shouldn't she let him do that himself? I hate when people open my stuff for me without my asking them to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Probably Magic posted:

I have a cat who did this, would paw at the door to the outside porch on and on, but if it swung open, off she scampered, no longer interested.

Was it being chased by a butterfly?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Tiggum posted:

Was it being chased by a butterfly?

No, but what's notable is that she's completely declawed, on the somewhat overweight and older side, and has never really shown off any huge amount of athleticism, and yet she always pounced on the door window, trying to scare whatever creatures may lie just beyond. With squirrels and birds, it's actually somewhat effective and they'd freak and run away, but there used to be another cat that was a battle-worn ironclad momma cat, and this declawed thing would trying to intimidate her through the glass, and the momma would just give her a blithe, "Yeah, whatever," look and walk away.

Alright, enough Pet Island posting from me today.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Close to Home

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Jessica Hahn, as you may recall from previous name-drops, was the secretary of televangelist Jim Bakker, with whom she was involved in a sex scandal.

:sonia:

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Chris Columbus looks high as a motherfucker.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why ponies and not horses? A pony is NOT a baby horse, argh!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Chris Columbus looks high as a motherfucker.

Those bee bouncers need to keep Columbus and his "infused" pickled cucumbers out of America.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Did Pearls Before Swine use to be funnier or am I just older? Because I really used to love it and I'd hate it if the latter was the case :smith:.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

RandomFerret posted:

Ballard Street

How is he the only one up there? Any party I've ever been to, one person going out on the roof means twelve people go out on the roof until the truss cracks or we get yelled at to get the gently caress down before the truss cracks.
What I'm trying to figure out is the geometry of that room that she and those other guests are in.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Drimble Wedge posted:

Why ponies and not horses? A pony is NOT a baby horse, argh!

Something bred into the line? Ponies are a specifically bred type of horse, I think, so sensitivity to pollen could be something picked up through in-breeding along the way.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

FunkyAl posted:

Did Pearls Before Swine use to be funnier or am I just older? Because I really used to love it and I'd hate it if the latter was the case :smith:.

No, we've seen before in this thread it was never really funny at all. I'm sorry to break it to you, but Pearls Before Swine has always been awful.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

No, we've seen before in this thread it was never really funny at all. I'm sorry to break it to you, but Pearls Before Swine has always been awful.

It was great when it started, over 10 years ago. And for several years after that. I think he's just kinda run out of ideas. :(

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

It was great when it started, over 10 years ago. And for several years after that. I think he's just kinda run out of ideas. :(
Yeah I still have old collections and still enjoy them, but the newer stuff not so much. Most comic strips should just end after a certain number of years, like TV shows.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I still enjoy the ones with Rube-Goldberg-level puns.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Johnny Walker posted:

Most comic strips should just end after a certain number of years, like TV shows.

Seriously this, but sadly creating a popular comic strip is like winning in a lottery* so it's quite understandable why that won't happen.

*) I'm not saying that it makes you super rich, I'm saying that it's something that's not going to happen twice.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I still can't bring myself to dislike PBS. It used to be great, and even now that it's gotten stale it's still better than most of the other stuff on the comics page. I'd just like it if Pastis hung it up and moved on to something else. I think he'd probably make a great novelist if he worked on stuff like Douglas Coupland's novels or A Confederacy of Dunces (which he listed as a huge influence on him in the first PBS treasury).

I will agree that I still like the unbelievably tortured puns that take like eight panels of setup.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd be a lot more okay with Pearls Before Swine if the punchline to so many strips wasn't "Rat insulting and/or threatening Pastis for making bad jokes."

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

DoubleDonut posted:

I'd be a lot more okay with Pearls Before Swine if the punchline to so many strips wasn't "Rat insulting and/or threatening Pastis for making bad jokes."

Yeah. Like, it would be one thing if he just did the elaborate puns or whatever, but it seems like he always does this as some sort of defensive "haha, yeah, I know it's not good, but that's not going to stop me from repeatedly doing this." Really, I think a big problem with Pastis's work is that he gets stuck in these years-long ruts. Like where he spent what felt like two years on "wacky crocodiles speaking in broken english" and the times where he will do the same "pun -> threat" sunday comic formula for a year or so, broken up with the occasional Danny the Donkey thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (June 8, 1956)

Droodles (June 8, 1956)

The sad thing is that if this was xkcd instead of some now-obscure 1950s newspaper feature, somebody would actually build one of these. With a second hand that runs backwards.

Out Our Way (February 2-3, 1925)

• Locked thread