Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So now that I had a chance to return to this guy I can report back - Celluclay loves sandpaper. The thing was crazy rough but after a while with the coarse then fine grit stuff I basically smoothed out the crap I didn't want. Still wanted it to look bumpy and worn, but not messy.

Here's the end result of that plus a couple coats of acrylic primer. Will be nowhere near stark white when I paint, but the base is about where I wanted it, give or take. Thanks for the advice above! One question I still am not sure about, after painting and detailing, I think someone suggested a resin instead of plastidip to seal the whole thing. Def want a matte finish, recommendations welcome.

vv Got it, something like spray acrylic finish, right?

hhhat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'd just use a spray clearcoat.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I have a few questions dealing with a way to make this radio setup:

And I was wondering about what people would recommend for materials, so far the rest of this project has been Sintra, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to get so many boxy bits to stick together.

As for wearing the radio itself, I'll probably mount it to some sort of shoulder straps, and feed those straps around through the front plate I've already made.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

keyboard vomit posted:

I have a few questions dealing with a way to make this radio setup:

And I was wondering about what people would recommend for materials, so far the rest of this project has been Sintra, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to get so many boxy bits to stick together.

As for wearing the radio itself, I'll probably mount it to some sort of shoulder straps, and feed those straps around through the front plate I've already made.

I've made some square stuff out of foam board by essentially figuring out what it would look like flat, make a pattern and cut out that shape, score a line not all the way through, and cut it down so you can fold it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
With 1 week to go until A-Kon, this has come together pretty well!

(ignore the blue hue from the TV)

It's supposed to be this thing:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Ooooh, the Burial at Sea version. Spiffy. What'd you build the body from?

The Werle fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 2, 2014

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

The Werle posted:

Ooooh, the Burial at Sea version. Spiffy. What'd you build the body from?

It's an Electrolux vacuum from the 50's.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Oooh, I get to be nitpicky now, you're missing the hyphen in "Fontaine-Vac". :smug:

Those just plastic magnet letters or did you somehow mold that piece?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I custom cut/carved the letters from aluminum and then epoxied them onto the back of the plates.

Hence why there is no dash. There's no way to attach it to the grill like the rest.

Here's a picture of the cut outs before epoxy.
http://imgur.com/KD43IJI

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2014

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
Hey makers all! I'm doing some eva foam helmets and wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on hot glue guns? I'll be buying one soon and wondered if there is really any difference between brands.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

shipwrek posted:

Hey makers all! I'm doing some eva foam helmets and wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on hot glue guns? I'll be buying one soon and wondered if there is really any difference between brands.

I don't think there's much difference - I've been using a $7 off the rack random korean glue gun and it's done fine by me. Apparently there are high-temp and lower-temp guns though, so...make sure it's a high-temp one, I guess? I don't really know how you'd go about that, though.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've done about all I can with the paperclay, I think.

Here are a few dubious WIPs, since it's been ages since I posted the initial sculpt:

(Slightly cockeyed angle, apologies.)

:downs: angle!

You can get a good idea of paperclay's basic capabilities here. Ah, two separate colors, because I used two different brands. One dries white, the other didn't. This whole thing basically will look like poo poo now until it's done.

Texture close-up.

Another one. I see a rough spot I need to sand down. <:mad:>

Reference shot.

I need to do some rescuplting or carving to make the eye grooves more pronounced. I could also stand to carve out the outer eyes a little more and make their tapering more...feline-ish? I'd make the lips less pronounced, too, but at this point I like 'em, so whatever. My mask is also more rounded versus the game's flatter appearance, but I'm willing to depart from in-game modeling to get a look that's more to my tastes.

"Where's the big eye thing?!" That's gonna be attached to the helmet, probably. Seems easier to deal with.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The spray-on polyurethane really did the trick! It works great on two of the three types of foam I have. The third is much more open celled and just kept soaking up more polyurethane, I never found its saturation point. But I'm probably going to leave that black anyway, so I can do fabric markers plus glossy Mod Podge like I've done in the past. The blue and red metallic paint doesn't show up very intensely on the dark foam (it's really meant for painting bright metal), but I'm kind of digging the darker, more subtle colors.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Yeeesssss, We'll have to pull some strings and organize a photo shoot at some point! (Probably the far distant future, sadly)

RazorBunny posted:

The spray-on polyurethane really did the trick! It works great on two of the three types of foam I have. The third is much more open celled and just kept soaking up more polyurethane, I never found its saturation point. But I'm probably going to leave that black anyway, so I can do fabric markers plus glossy Mod Podge like I've done in the past. The blue and red metallic paint doesn't show up very intensely on the dark foam (it's really meant for painting bright metal), but I'm kind of digging the darker, more subtle colors.

Glad it worked! Just remember, you can never have too much of the stuff! I'd recommend 2-3 layers of polyurethane pre-paint, letting each one cure completely, of course. This is one of those steps where patience pays off further down the line, anything that helps the paint set and adds durability is pretty important.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

Yeeesssss, We'll have to pull some strings and organize a photo shoot at some point! (Probably the far distant future, sadly)

Let's see if I can get the rest of the costume together, first! I have never ever made armor anything before, and while I kind of have an idea of how I want to do it, actually executing is...daunting. The mask has taken me long enough -- I've had it in my hands for four months now or maybe longer (though I lost two and a half of those to a long move to my new digs).

But if I can pull it together, I would love to take pictures with you. :3:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 3, 2014

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So I am doing the hunt stuff down and buy it all so I can make stuff phase for Lapras. You would be really surprised by how hard it is to find basic teardrop shaped ornaments in the summer... :/

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Adding the corruption effects to the blade was like hurting a child. Forgot to take a 'before' picture so I flipped the blade to get a clean version.
I mixed some black and silver acrylic paint about 1:1 to make the gray in the second picture, tried to do it as carefully as I could, soft edges and lots of places where the original colors shows through. Finally, I came back with straight up black centered in the middle of the gray, making sure to leave a nice transition area between the blue / gray / black, then just gooped the HELL of the center of the gray areas, laying on the black paint in thick globs in the middle. Still drying now, but overall, goddamn the 'corrupted blade' effect looks pretty sick.

I still kinda feel bad about defacing what was a fairly pristine greatsword, but them's the breaks.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So I am doing the hunt stuff down and buy it all so I can make stuff phase for Lapras. You would be really surprised by how hard it is to find basic teardrop shaped ornaments in the summer... :/

Try a flea market! It's also yard sale season, and you can always find holiday stuff at yard sales.

That's perfect.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
So I have begun the Lapras project. I just bought 10 yards of sateen bottom weight only half of it was in store so I have to wait for the rest of it to come in the mail from another store. I have it washed and I am almost done patterning/altering patterns for the blue bits of the dress. I also ordered the pleated material for the base dress. Tomorrow after work I will be stopping by home depot to buy all of there PVC pipe in size super tiny to make the cage. My hope is to get it half way done. I have it drawn out but the assembly isn't always as easy, especially sense I realized that her stupid outer skirt and the cage sit at her hips and not her waist so the design I had in mind will have to be modded. Once the cage is done I can start assembling the dress enough that I can start dying it. I really think I will hate myself by the end of this but right now I am still excited. Here is hoping to cool progress pictures this weekend. I was going to wait until I had some to post but I am just so freaking excited I couldn't wait.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

McPantserton posted:

I was in 3 contests with my space marine, and I won prizes (sweet anime prizes!!) in 2 of them. I think other cosplayers might start to give the side-eye if you compete in the same thing like 20 times, but poo poo, I don't have time to make something new for every con I go to.

I wouldn't give side eye for winning 3 different competitions with the same outfit. I would be a little *sideeye* if you entered the same contest 3 years running and won 3 years running with the same outfit, if nothing else because that's a little boring, its the reason I don't run my stormtrooper costume every year for star wars night. I'd win every time and that's no fun for others :shrug: Not a big deal though, only knobs get pissy over contests that mean nothing in the end.

In chainmail talk, it looks like if I really knuckled down for a weekend I could get this entire suit done. gently caress doing that though, don't have the materials anyway. I bought way to little wire :smith:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So I have begun the Lapras project.

I'm really excited about this one! :neckbeard:

So, hey, speaking of fabrics, can I get some input?

My first question relates to color. I can't really decide on what color fabric to use for Ciaran's robes. In some lighting her outfit looks closer to navy blue, and in others it looks a little more teal-ish. Would I be passable in navy? Or should I get something greenish and try a blue dye?

References: http://imgur.com/a/F2ClM

My second question is about fabric type. I feel like a linen or linen-look fabric would be appropriate, and I like how it looks, but does anyone here have other ideas?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So I have begun the Lapras project. I just bought 10 yards of sateen bottom weight only half of it was in store so I have to wait for the rest of it to come in the mail from another store. I have it washed and I am almost done patterning/altering patterns for the blue bits of the dress. I also ordered the pleated material for the base dress. Tomorrow after work I will be stopping by home depot to buy all of there PVC pipe in size super tiny to make the cage. My hope is to get it half way done. I have it drawn out but the assembly isn't always as easy, especially sense I realized that her stupid outer skirt and the cage sit at her hips and not her waist so the design I had in mind will have to be modded. Once the cage is done I can start assembling the dress enough that I can start dying it. I really think I will hate myself by the end of this but right now I am still excited. Here is hoping to cool progress pictures this weekend. I was going to wait until I had some to post but I am just so freaking excited I couldn't wait.

I want to see every single picture ever of this costume, yayyyyy!

dogstile posted:

I wouldn't give side eye for winning 3 different competitions with the same outfit. I would be a little *sideeye* if you entered the same contest 3 years running and won 3 years running with the same outfit, if nothing else because that's a little boring, its the reason I don't run my stormtrooper costume every year for star wars night. I'd win every time and that's no fun for others :shrug: Not a big deal though, only knobs get pissy over contests that mean nothing in the end.

In chainmail talk, it looks like if I really knuckled down for a weekend I could get this entire suit done. gently caress doing that though, don't have the materials anyway. I bought way to little wire :smith:
Yeah, I totally agree. One thing I've sort of discovered this year as we've competed in a few bigger contests is that there is a surprising number of people who do 1 insanely large project a decade and then sort of sweep contests like that and those people are just as insufferable to talk to about costuming as you'd expect. Sucks the fun right out of it, in my opinion. I'm ready to build something new to compete in.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

my cat is norris posted:

I'm really excited about this one! :neckbeard:

So, hey, speaking of fabrics, can I get some input?

My first question relates to color. I can't really decide on what color fabric to use for Ciaran's robes. In some lighting her outfit looks closer to navy blue, and in others it looks a little more teal-ish. Would I be passable in navy? Or should I get something greenish and try a blue dye?

References: http://imgur.com/a/F2ClM

My second question is about fabric type. I feel like a linen or linen-look fabric would be appropriate, and I like how it looks, but does anyone here have other ideas?

Linen or linen-look definitely. It also looks highly variable in colour. Get a lighter teal and dye the hell out of it with a sponge or random tie-dye bath. A bit more work, but very worth it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Linen or linen-look definitely. It also looks highly variable in colour. Get a lighter teal and dye the hell out of it with a sponge or random tie-dye bath. A bit more work, but very worth it.

Thank you! I may have to do some experimenting...

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I would have to agree with linen. It will just have the right feel.

Also I am trying to decide if I should go plain cotton broad cloth for the shell or do I find like a low pile fleece for snuggles for the gray shell on Lapras? My wallet says Broadcloth but my heart is wanting something more fleece like. I mean it's gonna be like a giant quilt for my rear end it should be comfy right? Or is that gonna clash to much with the sateen, silk, and pleated sheers?

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 6, 2014

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

What type of adhesive should I use to attach Dragon Skin silicone to fabric?

I'm working on a costume project and need to attach silicone wrist straps to a nylon jacket; I've tried glue, hot glue, gorilla glue, and E6000, but they all simply wipe off of the silicone.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Can you soak the area of the fabric in liquid silicone, then stick it to the wrist bands? I've only ever seen silicone bonded to silicone.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Apoxie Sculpt is very similar to the green putty stuff I've used to work with miniatures. It's a lot more malleable, but it was easy to work with, and the small amount of test sanding I've done has yielded fair results. Tomorrow I'll finish sanding, then prime it, and be done with this part of the costume. Thank you SO MUCH for that recommendation!

Apoxie Sculpt layer applied:

I can't decide between either leaving the eyes open, or covering the interior with a black screen or mesh or whatever. The idea would then be to paint yellowish pupils on the mesh.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

my cat is norris posted:

I can't decide between either leaving the eyes open, or covering the interior with a black screen or mesh or whatever. The idea would then be to paint yellowish pupils on the mesh.

Goddamn that's a sweet mask -
I'd just leave them open - I think actual pupils might look a bit weird, and they would also obscure your sight. As it is, the eyes will still appear entirely black just due to shadows, which I think looks a lot cooler.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you!

Yeah, my other concern is too much loss of vision, and I don't think mesh would help me there. I am not looking forward to having my peripheral vision taken away as it is.

Only thing buggin' me right now is that I think I gave the mask too much jaw. I'm at the point where I'm too afraid to cut anything down, though, and I likely wouldn't be able to without loving up something else. Fortunately, I have a plan for this that involves the ridiculous helm thing, so I think in the end it's going to look just fine!

What do you guys line your masks with? Paper mache is not very comfy.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

Thank you!

Yeah, my other concern is too much loss of vision, and I don't think mesh would help me there. I am not looking forward to having my peripheral vision taken away as it is.

Only thing buggin' me right now is that I think I gave the mask too much jaw. I'm at the point where I'm too afraid to cut anything down, though, and I likely wouldn't be able to without loving up something else. Fortunately, I have a plan for this that involves the ridiculous helm thing, so I think in the end it's going to look just fine!

What do you guys line your masks with? Paper mache is not very comfy.

I just looked up what you're making out of curiosity because I wasn't familiar with the design. That's one hell of a project ahead (the mask is looking drat cool though!).

Agreed on the mache, I rigged mine to wear and I can already tell it's going to need something. May plan is to cut some (thin) strips of foam for padding and put some scrap fabric over that, something I can tolerate pushing against my face. I don't know fabric at all so my strategy there is going to be to go to a crafts store and rub up against things until an associate asks if I need help.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hhhat posted:

I don't know fabric at all so my strategy there is going to be to go to a crafts store and rub up against things until an associate asks if I need help.

:allears: This is adorable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hhhat posted:

I just looked up what you're making out of curiosity because I wasn't familiar with the design. That's one hell of a project ahead (the mask is looking drat cool though!).

Agreed on the mache, I rigged mine to wear and I can already tell it's going to need something. May plan is to cut some (thin) strips of foam for padding and put some scrap fabric over that, something I can tolerate pushing against my face. I don't know fabric at all so my strategy there is going to be to go to a crafts store and rub up against things until an associate asks if I need help.

The only solution is velour, as Commodore 64 Zapp Brannigan would testify.

Sweet, luxuriant velour.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I perform with masks and the secret mask lining is maxi pads. Absorbent and disposable.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whoa. That's genius.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Somewhere in the middle of painting. Don't know how it's going to look by the end but i'm walking away from it for today.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That's coming along nicely!

Hokay, so -- some stuff is bugging me about the mask, but for a beginner's attempt, I think it came out pretty swell!

What bugs me the most? THIS. The mask...well, I didn't really catch this any sooner, but it sits far enough forward on my face that you can see through one eye slit and out the other. I think I would have liked it to be closer to my face... :smith: So I'm not too thrilled to catch this camera angle.

It's also too wide, which I was afraid it would be. I can work around this, but it's still a disappointing flaw.

It looks okay at some angles --

my hair is a mess

-- and I love the Apoxie Sculpt smoothness. (This is painted in glossy primer, by the way.)

That said, I'm debating a do-over. :( Maybe trying to apply some lessons learned, I don't know. Am I worrying too much?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 8, 2014

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

my cat is norris posted:

That's coming along nicely!

Hokay, so -- some stuff is bugging me about the mask, but for a beginner's attempt, I think it came out pretty swell!

What bugs me the most? THIS. The mask...well, I didn't really catch this any sooner, but it sits far enough forward on my face that you can see through one eye slit and out the other. I think I would have liked it to be closer to my face... :smith: So I'm not too thrilled to catch this camera angle.

It's also too wide, which I was afraid it would be. I can work around this, but it's still a disappointing flaw.

It looks okay at some angles --

my hair is a mess

-- and I love the Apoxie Sculpt smoothness. (This is painted in glossy primer, by the way.)

That said, I'm debating a do-over. :( Maybe trying to apply some lessons learned, I don't know. Am I worrying too much?

I think it looks just great but it's my own personal experience that if I'm not happy with a costume piece, I pretty much always end up redoing it and I'm glad I did in the end. Maybe move on to another piece and come back to it in a few days with a bit more distance?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I can almost guarantee that if I come by some free time tomorrow I'm going to start working on Mask 2.0, but maybe taking a night off will give me a different perspective. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Understandable, I'm totally the same way, haha. But I do think it looks really great, my husband was surprised when I said you were planning to redo it! So I can only imagine that 2.0 will be magnificent.

On that topic, do you have plans for that model if you end up redoing it? Because my husbo has definitely developed a sudden interest in doing a Court of Owls cosplay from Batman that is not unrelated to this mask...