Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Late comix!
Cul-de-sac featuring everyone's favorite: Polyfil!

The Creeps Exhibits extreme YOSPOS attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I decided to look this up and apparently said bee bouncers remove the drunk bee's legs :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKNecnrxgdA

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club, now featuring red hot nudity.

Dick Tracy

:toot:

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

This is a step up from the usual trains we see being pulled in a Pibgorn story.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

This is a step up from the usual trains we see being pulled in a Pibgorn story.

I basically can't understand anything Shakespeare writes, and this sort of direction is seriously not helping.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Guest writer: Bill Holbrook.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
You know what, I might as well just decide for myself.

Welcome to Pearls Before Swine Classic!!

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It doesn't usually get posted here because its ideas have largely been played out, but Metafilter recently has been abuzz with some discussion about this week's Pearls Before Swine:

And for good reason!

Yes, "Libby" is actually Bill Watterson

As if today's strip didn't give it away...

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 7, 2014

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

:ghost:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

mobo85 posted:

And for good reason!

God drat. I heard the rumours, I saw the similarity in the art and the lettering, but I never in a million years would have believed it was really him.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So I've been posting a terrible webcomic in the terrible webcomic thread and lurking in here for the longest time, I'm considering posting a comic in here, an obscure favorite of mine done for a small paper in California, Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll. The moments aren't always great and they're not always about rock music, but the strips nearly always find an interesting place to go. Some of the early scans are pretty atrocious, but they go well enough. Here's the first one. Let me know if you'd like it on a regular basis.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Well, it took almost twenty years, but I guess old Bill finally got the itch. You know, if anybody was fit to take over Cul-de-sac from Thompson, it'd be him. Shame we can't get Sundays of that from him. Or Oh Brother. Nice to see Weber got the arm positions right.

Geech works like a poisonless rat trap.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Ok, I absolutely love how loving :smug: Ock is in that second panel.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I love that he had to put the date on there.

Mostly because otherwise I wouldn't have known what the joke was, since these are both common phrases I heard growing up in the 80s.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mobo85 posted:

And for good reason!

Between this and Stripped it looks like Bill's finally ready let people see his work again. I really hope that he has a new project on the way. Not Calvin and Hobbes, mind, but I bet that he's got a great nature sketchbook or something that I'd love to pour over.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, that is Tiffany staring out through the fourth wall as she mentions imagining the audience in their underpants.

And I'm going to assume that Bernice's "help" involves holding props or something else humiliating because that's how this strip rolls.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Getting Watterson is quite a coup, and, like others have said, I do enjoy the Sunday pun strips. I don't think PBS is bad, just not as good as it used to be and maybe running out of things to do to keep it fresh. I'd even go so far as to call myself a fan. Pastis seems like a cool guy too. There are far worse strips and I'd probably be pissed if PBS was canceled and something like--I don't know--Tank McNamara was still around.

Here are a few more strips that should be canceled.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Hey, wait just a second!! "Lib" is Bill, backwards!! Phonetically!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

But I don't have anyplace to set my juice :saddowns:

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Like a kid wouldn't be ecstatic to be given carte blanche to eat with their fingers. :colbert:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

And I'm going to assume that Bernice's "help" involves holding props or something else humiliating because that's how this strip rolls.

I'm betting on beauty tips.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

The Sphinxster posted:

I'm betting on beauty tips.

Nah. She's going to use Tiffany as an example of one of the people that are going no where in life because that's how popularity works

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

God drat. I heard the rumours, I saw the similarity in the art and the lettering, but I never in a million years would have believed it was really him.

Same here, I assumed that was Stephan just drawing at his full artistic capabilities instead of the simplistic style of PBS and he had just been influence by Watterson (like every good cartoonist) and the rumors were just wishful thinking. That's amazing that he actually came back!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll say, especially if you fill the tub to the brim. He's liable to drown!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 19, 1927)

Peanuts (June 9-10, 1967, because we skipped one while Snoopy was landing at Normandy)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye, in which the Hag gets a visit from her only friend in the world.

Rip Haywire

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Obviously a Romulan spy.

Sacrilege, or prescience?

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

"You'ld"

Cow and Boy

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Non Sequitur

Curiouser, and curiouser. :v:

Heavenly Nostrils is late. Surprise.

9 Chickweed Lane 6/7/2003

Long cat is long.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

What's wrong with that? What is the word you'ld've used?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

That's it, I guess. :ms:

The Phantom

Pickles
GoComics went down right as I tried to get Pickles so :shrug:

Classic Prince Valiant

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

That's it, I guess. :ms:

By using that time-honored magician's trick of tailing a guy.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

DoubleDonut posted:

I'd be a lot more okay with Pearls Before Swine if the punchline to so many strips wasn't "Rat insulting and/or threatening Pastis for making bad jokes."

I think the last funny joke on Pearls was when Pastis died and Death from Funkywinkerbean came to get him.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Shugojin posted:

By using that time-honored magician's trick of tailing a guy.

The ancient magik secret of not needing a warrant and violating the rights of citizens.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It's funny, I started reading Lars Brownworth's Lost to the West, a pop-history of Byzantium, and it covers the bit of history Classic Prince Val just did. In Brownworth's view, Valentinian's murder of Aetius was a brave but poorly-thought-out strike against the barbarians holding Rome hostage from the inside. Funny how history can wildly differ in two different people's eyes.

Considering that neither touched upon the fact that historians think it's very possible that Aetius's friends who killed Valentinian in turn may have been put up to it by a senator whose wife was raped by Valentinian, I think I'm leaning more towards Foster and Val's perspective :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think there'd be less stress on the magician's code of secrecy if the answer was "I just used magic."

• Locked thread