Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

mailorder bees! posted:

the greatest thief in the multiverse!

I don't really remember blowing a hole in a house in any Thief games? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Are we still sharing Conspiracy drafts? Drafter W/U flying stuff - No favorable winds, I'm afraid but I got an Edric which I splashed and I got 4 Courier Hawks + 3 conspiracies, giving them +1/+1 counters, haste and the ability to tutor even more. Did pretty good, though getting color screwed out of blue for most of the first game was really what got me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

GonSmithe posted:

Any goons at the SCGPROV Open? I'm working until 5pm but I plan on doing a Conspiracy draft or two once I get out, I think it'd be pretty fun to play with a goon (or goons).

Nevermind, apparently they are out of Conspiracy packs for the entire weekend. Cool.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

change my name posted:

A 12 dollar Phyrexia pack?

What part of that is weird?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mezzanon posted:

What part of that is weird?

I didn't know they were that expensive, there's still a whole stack of them for 6 each at my local corner store that's known to overcharge.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

change my name posted:

A 12 dollar Phyrexia pack?

Invisible hand fingering your butthole, man.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Bread Set Jettison posted:

"Oh yeah!" said Duck Faygo

If I remember correctly this art is from Innistrad right? Plane of broken windows.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My Conspiracy highlights:
Seeing a foil Dank Fandango pulled at the midnight release.

Drafting RG with 6 conspiracies resulting in me having four 2/2 mana-making Copperhorn Elves, two mana-making skitter lizards, and 3-drop hasty Pitchburn Devils. Ended up splitting with a guy who had a 15/15 and an Altar of Dementia out (We were able to kill each other and were the only two dominating presences, so we agreed to work together. He milled out someone with a big defensive boardstate and small deck, and I rolled over the guy with no boardstate)

Someone in another pod getting the "Open another pack" creature, buying a pack of Rise, and windmill slamming an Ulamog down.

Drafting again later, all my desired colors dried up, and I got two of the "You get all the last pick" cards. I ended up grabbing every basic landcycler I could find, ended up with 10ish of them across all five colors, threw in some removal and random bombs, and went 5-Color Badstuff. Had all 5 basics and Mirrodin's Core out on turn 6. Got a lucky Magister of Worth play to fix the board, and ended up fast-talking/evil-viziering my way into another split with a guy who lived the dream and got Defender-Burn to work: full playsets of Cinder Wall and Vent Sentinel, several Guardian Zendikons, and the conspiracy that let him grab all his Vent Sentinels when he cast one.

e: Oh. My LGS ran seventeen Conspiracy 8-man pods in a 12 hour period. Seventeen. People love to draft here.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 8, 2014

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

change my name posted:

I didn't know they were that expensive, there's still a whole stack of them for 6 each at my local corner store that's known to overcharge.

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p319941.html my FLGS and troll and toad agree on it I guess.

Either way I got super lucky and opened the single most expensive card in the set. ( http://mtg.dawnglare.com/?p=viz ) I grabbed the booster pack because I thought it would be the most fun to add to conspiracy ) and because they were out of innistrad, which I would have picked in a heartbeat)

JerryLee posted:

Invisible hand fingering your butthole, man.

Also this pretty much.

Archenteron posted:

Ended up splitting with a guy who had a 15/15 and an Altar of Dementia out (We were able to kill each other and were the only two dominating presences, so we agreed to work together. He milled out someone with a big defensive boardstate and small deck, and I rolled over the guy with no boardstate)

The only way this story could have been better would be if at the last second you betrayed him as well, and took first by force!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Missed out on being #8 in a pod by 20 minutes :negative: And they're turning their Wednesday draft league to Conspiracy for the time being which I can't normally make.
Anyone going to try and buy a box to draft with friends? A friend at work floated the idea by me yesterday but we're unsure if we can get eight people, though I'm not sure if only having five or six will lessen the experience.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 7, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just got back from drafting Conspiracy, I'm totally getting two boxes now.

I feel I got a good sample of the Conspiracy experience. Pack 1 was Stifle vs. Worldknit (took Stifle), Pack 2 was Lore Seeker (Innistrad, they didn't have Modern Masters otherwise I think the table would have chipped in enough for that), ended up with UB 2-for-1. Once the dust settled I effectlvely controller the table with card advantage, but only ended up with one kill thanks to someone else poaching it. Ended up in second with the kill on the board when the remaining player top decked enough to win.

Good times, excited for next Saturday's Conspiracy Drink and Draft. :allears:

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Guy on the SCG stream just went to 240 life with the 2nd ajani ultimate of the game, ending the 1-game match in a draw.

CONTROL!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I provided a selection of boosters at my shop in case anybody drafted a Lore Seeker. Out of 8 pods, only 2 hit one. The first pod drew (I had a handful of basic lands with set names Sharpied on) Modern Masters, which was very exciting. Though the rare was just a Blood Moon :v:

Second pod to crack a Lore Seeker pulled New Phyrexia. Must not have been very exciting because I didn't hear what they pulled, and I had to go back to the front to man the register.

Either way, this set seems fun as hell and everybody had a lot of fun. :)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Skillface posted:

Guy on the SCG stream just went to 240 life with the 2nd ajani ultimate of the game, ending the 1-game match in a draw.

CONTROL!

Master of Cruelties becomes the hot new anti-control tech :c00lbert:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

Master of Cruelties becomes the hot new anti-control tech :c00lbert:

That would have been a little rough for the UW control deck that was on the other side of the table to cast.

If the game hadn't gone to time the UW deck would have won through decking despite the 240 life. :ssh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy crap, I'm in round one of a draft and MTGO Beta is actually updating the match statuses as games end, this is the first time I've ever seen it do that correctly.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Did 3 Conspiracy pods today at Atomic Empire in Durham. Reports if you're interested.

Round 1: Firstpicked Grenzo, who seemed awesome, and I drafted a scary BR deck around it with a million pieces of removal (people passed Brimstone Volleys a lot today; don't do that). I also picked up a Coercive Portal that draft, but I ended up trading it away with Deal Broker for a Reckless Spite. Amusingly I then got put in the same game as the guy I traded to, whose Coercive Portal was quite to my advantage. Three of us with unimpressive boards easily voted for carnage, which pretty much knocked the fourth guy right out of the game since he had no cards in hand at the time. Then, the guy with the green ramp deck started menacing me and the third player with a BG value deck. Pelakka Wurm knocked me down to 1 life before I could Brimstone Volley it down, and cold to the BG's swampwalk, but we formed an alliance against the green player. Then I miraculously topdecked my Grenzo, played it as a 6/6 with 4 mana left open, and hit Heartless Hidetsugu off the bottom of my library. As a result, I was able to combine Hidetsugu with a Power of Fire'd creature and my last Brimstone Volley to knock out both players at once.

Round 2: Firstpicked Mirari's Wake, drafted GW stuff. This deck was not that good, it played a bunch of durdles and ramp, which does not seem to be a very viable archetype in general. There was a UB player, a BR player, and another I can't remember. Predictably the BR player slammed a hasty Heartless Hidetsugu and took over the game fast. I ended up knocking the UB player out of the game early with a Brimstone Volley (splashed thanks to Unexpected Potential), since their 4/4 flier was something I couldn't deal with. Then the BR player cast Tyrant's Choice while I was at 6 life and promised the last player that if he voted for torture, I would die. Which was true, thanks to a Siphon Soul, but that put the last player down to 3 life, and the BR player killed his own Pitchburn Devils to seal the deal. That one stung because I outlined very specifically how voting for torture would cause the last player to lose as well but he did it anyway. On the plus side, my consolation pack contained a Dack Fayden.

Round 3: Firstpicked a Wakestone Gargoyle in the hopes of going defenders. I had opened a Muzzio but I didn't really want it. I ended up going RW, but not getting many defenders. My deck turned out sweet though, I think; 5 Skitter of Lizards that produced mana, and 3 Grenzo's Cutthroats that entered the battlefield with 2 counters and also produced mana. Also, my second Dack of the night. Unfortunately, though, I got paired up against somebody who did get the defenders. Also, 2 of the 1/1 defender conspiracies. When I saw him drop Vent Sentinel while he already had 3 defenders, I knew he had to die. But the other players did not cooperate, and when I loaded my board with fliers to try and take down the defenders player quickly, they allied against me. It didn't help that, of the two other players, one was playing Esper and had gotten absolutely wrecked by 3 for 1 Wrap in Flames, and the other was playing, as far as I could tell, monoblue garbage. After my fliers were stymied by the other players, the defenders player quickly killed all of us. I opened my 5th mythic of the night in my consolation pack, a Marchesa, which was quite lucky for me.

It was a fun event all in all; I can't complain about double Dacks. I had some balance issues with the format in general, but for a wacky time to be had occasionally, I think it was a strong success.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

whydirt posted:

Anyone who's drafted Conspiracy so far: how often were people getting milled out? Is running a 45-50 card deck something reasonable to do or just stick to the standard 40?

My 2nd game I played the person won by milling the final me and the last person because they had the "sac creature, mill equal to its power" out near the end of an hour long game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Conspiracy Draft Report:

Turns out T2 Intangible Virtue followed by T3 Rousing of Souls (hitting all four players for nonlands) is pretty good for the person playing them. All I got to play were two defenders and two pieces of spot removal on two of the spirits while trying to topdeck one of my 7 flyers or my Silverchase Fox that would have at least slowed my opponent down. I went in knowing that whether I won would significantly be based on luck due to the nature of multiplayer formats, but was hoping to at least get to interact with my opponents a bit more before being eliminated. The draft took longer than my actual playtime.

:smith:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like drafting Conspiracy but hate playing it. I'm not a big fan of multiplayer formats, so I guess it's just Not For Me.

Didn't help that our store did this weird three round thing switching up the pods based on who won. I had a terrible deck and just wanted to go play standard or something but didn't want to drop out and ruin the structure for everyone else. :smith:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Looks like Red Deck Wins is at minimum top 4 at Star City this weekend: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=68664

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Boco_T posted:

Looks like Red Deck Wins is at minimum top 4 at Star City this weekend: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=68664

This looks like the original sligh deck except with actual good cards.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Entropic posted:

I like drafting Conspiracy but hate playing it. I'm not a big fan of multiplayer formats, so I guess it's just Not For Me.

Didn't help that our store did this weird three round thing switching up the pods based on who won. I had a terrible deck and just wanted to go play standard or something but didn't want to drop out and ruin the structure for everyone else. :smith:

Yeah that's weird. We had 18 people, so we did three six-man pods that we split into tables of three, and then gave out prizes based on the order you were eliminated in. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

whydirt posted:

Conspiracy Draft Report:

Turns out T2 Intangible Virtue followed by T3 Rousing of Souls (hitting all four players for nonlands) is pretty good for the person playing them. All I got to play were two defenders and two pieces of spot removal on two of the spirits while trying to topdeck one of my 7 flyers or my Silverchase Fox that would have at least slowed my opponent down. I went in knowing that whether I won would significantly be based on luck due to the nature of multiplayer formats, but was hoping to at least get to interact with my opponents a bit more before being eliminated. The draft took longer than my actual playtime.

My second draft I got a nutty aggro black-red deck. I went into red after I passed my second pack's rare, which was also the second Sulfuric Vortex. I kicked myself for passing them, only to have someone in my pod slam one of them down on turn three. I won that game with Infectious Horror, two Brimstone Volleys, and constant pressure from little dorks. I think it was my sixth turn.

I tried the aggro strategy again in another draft. No Sulfuric Vortexes, but everyone had Bite of the Black Rose or Volcanic Fallout or Wrap in Flames, and I never got to attack.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Did a single draft, went R/G, and wasn't too strongly into any archetype in particular. I did, however, have Backup Plan, a pair of Deathforge Shamans and a Mana Geyser, which I used to fry one player, and a pair of Vent Sentinels that pulled me through the Mexican standoff that immediately followed for the victory. We did a second and third game with the same decks, in which it quickly became apparent that a single Sporecap Spider was not enough to keep me from being eaten by fliers. I did manage to amass a sizable army of elephants in game 2 thanks to two Selvala's Charges, which was fun. Managed to trade for Muzzio and a Rout, too, which was really nice.

I really, really want Wizards to do more of these supplemental draft formats. Modern Masters was a shitload of fun, and while I don't know if Conspiracy has quite as much replay value, I did enjoy the experience.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

We had a 10 man draft pod, so I drafted GW parley, with 8 parley cards including Selvala and the 6 mana 4/4 that parley pumps on attacks. I killed 2 people by milling. It was great.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
This is some pretty rampant speculation, but does it look like walls are going to be a subtheme of sorts in Khans? Mnemonic Wall and a couple walls in M14 are in standard now, but M15 has the new coral wall, wall of fire, and (particularly damning): A dragon that specifically deals with walls. I feel like that dragon wouldn't be printed if they didn't expect people to be putting walls into decks in the future. That combined with all the weird "creatures with defender you control" thing going on in Rtr, is it possible they could go for a walls matter thing? It could make sense in a warlord type setting I think.

Calling it now: Ship as creature type is Maro's returning thing.

dangerburrd fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 8, 2014

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
My last Conspiracy pod this evening ended up crazy when I decided to draft every conspiracy I saw, and failing that, the best card in the pack regardless of what color it was. I ended up with 9 Conspiracies, a RWU 35 card deck where both of my two-drop creatures produced mana of any color with haste, and a mana geyser was 1 less to cast, doubled, and drew me two cards on use. Resulted in a turn three Scourge of the Throne with haste and the game turned into a madcap 3v1 with my silly deck.

God I hope my LGS gets this back in stock quickly, it's fun as hell.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Boco_T posted:

That looks remarkably similar to my deck, only I swapped out the Eidolons for Ash Zealots, Chandra's Phoenix for Madcap Skills, and Rakdos Cackler for Foundry Street Denizen. And no Mutavaults because I didn't want to spend that much on them.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

whydirt posted:

Conspiracy Draft Report:

I think your experience is why my LGS is giving the first person eliminated a pack.

This is by far the strangest prize payout I've seen them do:

quote:

Each player will receive a foil Magister of Worth (While supplies last). Each player will also get 2 additional packs. You are required to hand off 1 of the packs to the player that eliminates you. The other pack should be given to the player in the group that you felt made the game the most fun for you. This can be yourself!

The first player to be eliminated from their multi-player game will receive 1 booster pack as a prize.

The last player standing in their multi-player game will receive 2 additional boosters.

Self-mill for first eliminated! Give yourself the pack for eliminating...yourself while collecting the first eliminated bonus pack...and walk away with your greed-or-gift pack. 6 packs for $20 with only limited social interaction!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
My brother and I did another set of Conspiracy drafts yesterday, and managed to get a friend of ours to come along as well. Like us, he hadn't played for over ten years but was still able to remember how to play and all that. He ended up winning two of the three pods, losing only in one of those three-man pods. In the third draft, he first-picked a Lore Seeker and picked a fourth Conspiracy pack because he wasn't really familiar with the other sets, and when he opened it up he had this look on his face in which I couldn't tell if it was disgust or excitement. As that pack went around we all joked it was the worst pack of the day with how much bad stuff was in it. Asked him what his first pick out of that pack was, and it was a Donk Froyo.

Not sure how many more of these drafts we want to do, since I've done five of them so far in a span of two days. It's fun as hell but killing my entertainment budget. At least I don't feel like I'm not getting my money's worth like I was with Theros block drafting.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

dangerburrd posted:

This is some pretty rampant speculation, but does it look like walls are going to be a subtheme of sorts in Khans? Mnemonic Wall and a couple walls in M14 are in standard now, but M15 has the new coral wall, wall of fire, and (particularly damning): A dragon that specifically deals with walls. I feel like that dragon wouldn't be printed if they didn't expect people to be putting walls into decks in the future. That combined with all the weird "creatures with defender you control" thing going on in Rtr, is it possible they could go for a walls matter thing? It could make sense in a warlord type setting I think.

The RTR stuff won't be in Standard with Khans, would it? But on the other hand you have Prowler's Helm, which specifically points to Walls, despite there being literally only 1 Wall creature in the entire Theros block. They have said in the past that they like to space out parts of a theme, to prevent stuff like Affinity being dominate for the entire time the block is in Standard. So if that's the case with Prowler's Helm, it implies that "Walls matter" is a subtheme, and being unblockable is going to be VERY important. Otherwise, why make Prowler's Helm as the thing that rotates out first?

You do, however, have a bit of an unblockable theme in Theros - Aqueous Form, Agent of Horizons, Flitterstep Eidolon, Crypsis, Thassa, Triton Shorestalker. Maybe they want to keep Blue as the evasive color, but they're moving away from Flying? And maybe they're moving away from Flying because they're bringing back Horsemanship.

It's official, Prowler's Helm means they're bringing back Horsemanship.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dangerburrd posted:

There was a defender theme in Rise of the Eldrazi and nothing directly before or after really synergized with it.

Also I don't think ship is going to return, sadly, because they're not animate.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Shame his finals match up was against mono blue devotion though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

always be closing posted:

Shame his finals match up was against mono blue devotion though.

I'm fairly certain this is the first big tournament Mono Blue has taken since the end of the Born standard.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno if its any good but that Burning Reanimator deck they just profiled at the SCG Open seems insanely stylish.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I'm fairly certain this is the first big tournament Mono Blue has taken since the end of the Born standard.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct. Its part of the reason why the mono red aggro was a great choice this weekend!

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

dangerburrd posted:

This wouldn't be that weird. Mongolians are the reason the biggest wall on earth was built, after all.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Fingers crossed for a Wall of Omens/Blossoms reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sharzak posted:

This wouldn't be that weird. Mongolians are the reason the biggest wall on earth was built, after all.

Then they'd all need "Can't be blocked by Walls".

• Locked thread