Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

astrollinthepork posted:

Been using an HJC CL-16 for three seasons now and I'm ready to step it on up. Not quite ready to jump into $300+ territory though. I'm looking at the HJC FG-17 and I'm liking it. Can anyone share their experience?

Personal opinion is save your cash for a bit longer and move up into the $350-$500 premium range. The differences in weight and comfort will blow you away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

If the attitude is less "I don't want to look like a motorcycle racer" and more "I don't want to wear a helmet at all", I would start encouraging her to not have a moped. Fun fact: if you are six feet tall, and you're standing upright in place not moving, and someone kicks your feet out from underneath you, your head is travelling fast enough when it hits the ground to fracture your skull and kill you. "I'm not going very fast" is never an acceptable argument for not wearing a helmet while on an open moving vehicle.

I think it's a little of both. I told her about falling thing alone can kill you. "I wont crash/fall" I sure hope not, but I'm not going to let you risk it damnit. She was probably just pushing my buttons too, because I was getting legitimately frustrated she wouldn't wear a helmet.:bang:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Great now I want a Bullitt :(

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

ADINSX posted:

Great now I want a Bullitt :(

Do you live in Portland?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Digital_Jesus posted:

Personal opinion is save your cash for a bit longer and move up into the $350-$500 premium range. The differences in weight and comfort will blow you away.

Seconding this. The difference between my $150 helmet and my $450 helmet (that I paid $290 for) is huge in terms of comfort/airflow/functionality.

Seriously, go to a cyclegear and try on one of their sketchy $50-100 bilt helmets, then go try on a Shoei or Arai if they have them. The liner/build quality/feel alone makes it worth the difference if you can afford it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Marxalot posted:

Seconding this. The difference between my $150 helmet and my $450 helmet (that I paid $290 for) is huge in terms of comfort/airflow/functionality.

Seriously, go to a cyclegear and try on one of their sketchy $50-100 bilt helmets, then go try on a Shoei or Arai if they have them. The liner/build quality/feel alone makes it worth the difference if you can afford it.

Yeah, I still can't get over how bad and lovely even my dad's Nolan Voyage helmet feels. My Shoei Neotec feels so much nicer in just about every way

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Or it could be confirmation bias...

I have a $70 Joe Rocket RKT-201 that is the bee's knees. Awesome air flow, some special fabric that wicks away moisture, and a locking face shield. It cuts through the wind at highway speeds fine although I did put a GoPro on it that spoiled the aerodynamics. I guess it retailed for $300 but I got it on close out.

There are deals out there. You don't have to spend too much for a comfortable helmet.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm looking at the HJC FG-17 and I'm liking it. Can anyone share their experience?

I have the FG-17 and it's great. Perfect size and shape (for me), and great ventilation. Snell certified, and the price was right. I got the 2013 Hi-Viz/Black graphic, and it gets compliments all the time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

I think it's a little of both. I told her about falling thing alone can kill you. "I wont crash/fall" I sure hope not, but I'm not going to let you risk it damnit. She was probably just pushing my buttons too, because I was getting legitimately frustrated she wouldn't wear a helmet.:bang:

If you look in the crash thread there was a goon (woman I believe) who rode a scooter with a 3/4s or a shortie. If I recall correctly she was sitting at a light when a truck came around the corner and the trucks mirror hit her in the face and nearly killed her. The pictures are probably gone by now, but if someone else finds it (I'm phone posting) that will probably help change her mind.

Also remind her that her face is a crumple zone.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Wow that sounds horrible. Was it a hit and run too?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

I don't recall. Either way it was one of the best arguments I've ever seen for wearing a full face.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Jolarix posted:

I have the FG-17 and it's great. Perfect size and shape (for me), and great ventilation. Snell certified, and the price was right. I got the 2013 Hi-Viz/Black graphic, and it gets compliments all the time.

The ventilation is my main concern as that sucked in the CL-16, but looking back I never thought "drat my head is hot as balls" on even the worst Lucifer inspired hot days. The price is definitely right. A fiberglass shell for around $160 is a steal and is the reason I just can't justify paying twice as much or more. I've yet to find a helmet that fits me from Shoei, Arai, or Suomy anywho.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I got an HJC clsp when I first started riding. I've thought about upgrading, but so far HJC has fit me best.

Also, for the girl on the moped, i got slammed in the face by a parking garage swing arm. I'm glad I was wearing a full face helmet.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I'm trying to picture how that happened ... did you forget to stop and just roll into it or something?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Got a pair of the Rev'it Lombard jeans. Do not buy it if you lift (And actually do legs) or overweight. Because those things are loving as tight as Levi 511s. I can barely squeeze my legs into it and the waist is about 3 sizes too big.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I have really liked HJC helmets over the years. I'm rolling with an IS-16 right now and love it. Good ventilation, integrated sunshield and fits my melon quite well.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Shimrod posted:

I'm trying to picture how that happened ... did you forget to stop and just roll into it or something?

It came up like it should and as I started rolling through it just came down inexplicably. I crouched down on the bike, but I am over six feet tall, so it hit me anyway.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

MoraleHazard posted:

It came up like it should and as I started rolling through it just came down inexplicably. I crouched down on the bike, but I am over six feet tall, so it hit me anyway.

Huh, that's ... really unlucky.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Kaliber posted:

Got a pair of the Rev'it Lombard jeans. Do not buy it if you lift (And actually do legs) or overweight. Because those things are loving as tight as Levi 511s. I can barely squeeze my legs into it and the waist is about 3 sizes too big.
What circumference are your legs and what size jeans did you buy? I find that the Rev'It pants fit me fine. I'm 5'8" and a lean 171. My waist is 32" and thighs are 23" and the medium Rev'It Airwave fit me well. I believe that the medium could fit a 24" thigh pretty well and get snug around 25" and I have to cinch the waist in all the way with the straps.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

Finally posting from an actual computer!

zap actionsdower! posted:

First, I'm glad all of you are able to come back with these reports!

This all happened back in February, and my husband posted a bit about it in the scooter megathread.

Situation
We had a 55 degree day in February, so I took our Honda Elite 80cc out for the day. Rode home from downtown at 5 PM, the last thing I remember is stopping at a stoplight on a one-way. The next thing I knew, I was looking up at a building from the ground, and was pretty sure I was dreaming. Passed out again quickly, woke up in the ambulance where Barack Obama was talking to me. Repeated husband's cell phone number over and over, passed out again. Woke up in the MRI machine. Out again, Woke up when husband was catching a brief glimpse of me as they wheeled me through the halls-- we weren't married yet, so they wouldn't let him in.

From the accident report we learned that a drunk driver turned the wrong way down the one-way I was on, about two blocks after what I last remember. I had a green, was going about 30-35 in the right most lane with two stopped or slowed cars in the left lanes. They were waving him away, I probably thought they were stopped because they'd just come off a red. All three witnesses--- two in the cars and one on foot -- said that I couldn't possibly have seen the drunk driver. He swerved into my lane, my face took off his passenger-side mirror, he drove off and was found a few blocks away.

Damage Report
The day after:

Three months later:

Broke my face, jaw, tibia and fibula-- now have a tibial nail and a limp. Broke some teeth. Lacerated liver and a nasty concussion that I think I'm finally getting over. I don't remember most of February and up until the last couple of weeks I had a hard time remembering many small things.

Wish I had a picture of the bike. It went home with husband's parents. Seems like the frame is bent, but it runs okay, I think. Father-in-law and I very much want to resurrect zombie scooter, but that's probably not feasible.

Lessons Learned
Wear a full-face helmet. Wouldn't have broken my jaw, face or teeth. No amount of gear could have helped my leg, but had I a full-face helmet, I may have avoided the concussion as well. At least I was wearing goggles: I have a feeling they helped save my right eye.

If any of you fuckers don't wear a helmet: do, for the love of god. There was nothing I could have done to forsee or avoid this accident, and I absolutely would have died without my helmet. Recently had a convo with an acquaintance who told me that he is "a good rider" who "won't need a helmet". Okay.

Can't wait to get a new scoot, though!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Good loving lord a drunk driver no less. Man I would be so insanely pissed if someone did that to my wife! (alas I don't even have a gf :smith:)

I'm annoyed at my dad right now, he keeps taking off his chin bar on his nolan whenever he goes out to ride. I wish those pictures still worked so I could show him

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

At least he is wearing a helmet. My older brother has given up on wearing a helmet due to the heat. Of course this is after he attached a HUGE ugly windshield on the CB 750 I gave him. There is zero airflow behind that monstrosity. He insists he needs it because riding on the highway without it causes too much pain and he feels like he will get ripped off the bike. I used to get very upset with him. I bought him a really nice helmet but he won't shut the gently caress about how much better he feels without a helmet riding behind a fugly windscreen.

I ride 10 times as many miles and twice as fast as him. gently caress it. It is his life.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Crayvex posted:

At least he is wearing a helmet. My older brother has given up on wearing a helmet due to the heat. Of course this is after he attached a HUGE ugly windshield on the CB 750 I gave him. There is zero airflow behind that monstrosity. He insists he needs it because riding on the highway without it causes too much pain and he feels like he will get ripped off the bike. I used to get very upset with him. I bought him a really nice helmet but he won't shut the gently caress about how much better he feels without a helmet riding behind a fugly windscreen.

I ride 10 times as many miles and twice as fast as him. gently caress it. It is his life.

Funny, that. My dad recently bought a Puig windshield for his CTX700 and it's loving horrid. Not only does the wind no longer cool you down but now it blasts you in the loving face and makes all sorts of noise. Riding at 65 on my DRZ with the visor up a couple detents is actually QUIETER than visor closed at 45 on his bike. It's also ugly as poo poo since it's a universal bar clamp mounting system.

Luckily he hates it too and is gonna take it off and just put it on whenever he decides to go touring.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
poo poo. My argument is that I'm a "good rider" so all I need is ATGATT for the unforseeable and I won't die. I can't imagine thinking I'm so good I don't need a helmet.

And if it's too hot, that's what vents and removable chin curtains are for.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

MoraleHazard posted:

I got an HJC clsp when I first started riding. I've thought about upgrading, but so far HJC has fit me best.

Also, for the girl on the moped, i got slammed in the face by a parking garage swing arm. I'm glad I was wearing a full face helmet.

And that, is why I always go around the gate :sun:

That, and I'm a cheap loving bastard...

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Riven posted:

poo poo. My argument is that I'm a "good rider" so all I need is ATGATT for the unforseeable and I won't die. I can't imagine thinking I'm so good I don't need a helmet.

And if it's too hot, that's what vents and removable chin curtains are for.

The monstrosity he installed is even taller than this.

You get literally no airflow behind it. If you are wearing a full face you are sweating. I don't care how good your vents are. I removed the windscreen when I owned the bike and I enjoyed riding it on the highway without any problems. I don't know why my brother is such a pussy and needs it plus the 1970's Goldwing panniers/top box that he rigged onto it. I worked so hard restoring that bike to factory condition. Now it looks like a piece of poo poo. I don't care. It's his bike now. I gave it to him. So he can do whatever. Just like riding without a helmet. He's been riding for 35 years. He knows the risks. He saw my helmet after my accident. It is his decision.

I really wish he would wear a god drat helmet. Just take off that stupid windshield and he would be fine.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hes not even wearing a skull cap? I imagine those can't be that hot, and its better than nothing :(

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Nope. I bought him one of those too. With the removal of the helmet laws in Michigan he no longer feels obligated to let his comfort suffer.

I really need to go on a long weekend ride with him so be can see how having the right gear makes it all so more comfortable. Then again we all know how stubborn people can be. They won't wear hearing protection, leg protection, boots, whatever unless it is their idea.

I'm still pissed that it is the weekend riders who put 50 miles a month on their garage queens who successfully lobbied for the helmet laws to be repealed. My brother is a living example of someone who apparently will only wear a helmet if legally obligated to do so.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I don't understand how it's comfortable riding without a helmet. I've ridden without mine before and loving sucks.

I wear a 4x HJC and it's a little loose, the wind will tug it around. Especially when checking my blind spots. I tried a 3x on at the store, and it fits, but it's really tight. I only wore it for like 2 minutes, and it didn't hurt at all, and I'm guessing it will break in and loosen up a bit? Should I get a 3x for my next helmet?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Schroeder91 posted:

I don't understand how it's comfortable riding without a helmet. I've ridden without mine before and loving sucks.

I wear a 4x HJC and it's a little loose, the wind will tug it around. Especially when checking my blind spots. I tried a 3x on at the store, and it fits, but it's really tight. I only wore it for like 2 minutes, and it didn't hurt at all, and I'm guessing it will break in and loosen up a bit? Should I get a 3x for my next helmet?

Yes they break in over time. Next time you're at the shop, wear it for at least 15-20 minutes. See if any hot spots develop. Try different brands too.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

astrollinthepork posted:

Yes they break in over time. Next time you're at the shop, wear it for at least 15-20 minutes. See if any hot spots develop. Try different brands too.

I haven't found anything else that fits my huge dome. I tried the biggest stuff cycle gear had and none of it fit. I was pleasantly surprised to find a 3x hjc at my dealer while waiting for my bike to be serviced.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I haven't found anything else that fits my huge dome. I tried the biggest stuff cycle gear had and none of it fit. I was pleasantly surprised to find a 3x hjc at my dealer while waiting for my bike to be serviced.

But yeah it should be a bit snug at first. Think about the effect of hitting asphalt with a loose helmet. Then your head is hitting the helmet at speed instead of the helmet absorbing your impact.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
My husband has a big melon, too, and he had pretty good luck with a Shoei. It seems to be different with different brands, so your 3x in HJC may be a 2x somewhere else. You might try a Nolan, too. I had an HJC originally and it turned out to not fit me well at all. I went to a Lazer and never looked back. It's just different noggin shapes in a lot of cases, I think.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Riven posted:

But yeah it should be a bit snug at first. Think about the effect of hitting asphalt with a loose helmet. Then your head is hitting the helmet at speed instead of the helmet absorbing your impact.

My last helmet was a 4x hjc and when it hit the ground I was fine :haw: Its not really super loose or anything, but I can turn the helmet a bit with ease and checking blind spots the windy will catch it and pull it. The top feels fine I'd say but the cheeks and stuff are loose? A 3x will probably do the trick and when I can afford it I'll pick one. As for Shoei, I can't afford that. I tried a 3x Icon and lol nope not happening.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Schroeder91 posted:

My last helmet was a 4x hjc and when it hit the ground I was fine :haw: Its not really super loose or anything, but I can turn the helmet a bit with ease and checking blind spots the windy will catch it and pull it. The top feels fine I'd say but the cheeks and stuff are loose? A 3x will probably do the trick and when I can afford it I'll pick one. As for Shoei, I can't afford that. I tried a 3x Icon and lol nope not happening.

Maybe try the 3x size with the 4x cheek pads.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Some (maybe all?) helmets have just two sizes of shells, with differently sized cheek pads for the size breakdowns. For example, my scorpion helmet has a smaller shell for sizes XS-S-M, and a larger shell for sizes L-XL-XXL. The only difference is the cheek pad thickness. If it's the same case for that HJC, swapping cheekpads would just move him up a size.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Schroeder91 posted:

Having a properly sized helmet does wonders for comfort, when I moved down from a 2X I -thought- fit to a 1X it was amazing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Schroeder91 posted:

I too have a huge melon, I wear a 3x bell, 2x AFX (they run huge, get one) and 3x suomy. I can't ever try anything on in store because huge.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

For those of you with properly ventilating jackets: does wearing a backpack ever restrict airflow? I'm beginning to realize that what worked for summer gear in Connecticut is not going to work in Virginia.

I also completely understand why my Cycle Gear jacket was only $100. I tried forcing air through the vents and couldn't feel anything. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yes. Even without a backpack though, my back protector blocks most of it from reaching my back anyway.