Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

cheerfullydrab posted:

How many gallon jugs would 110,000,000 pounds of dirt fill?

Define dirt.

Different types of dirt have different densities; crushed limestone doesn't weight the same as, say, iron ore concentrate or sand. They're all pretty much dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Think of it as a loose, granular, nondescript, sterotypically tann-ish brown dirt. These plastic jugs would be filled by hand quickly, without any real attempts to compact the dirt. Perhaps by pouring the dirt into the jugs with a funnel.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Literally the first google result of 'dirt density' has a list of different dirts and their densities. Could you really not figure that out on your own?
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/dirt-mud-densities-d_1727.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Think of it as a loose, granular, nondescript, sterotypically tann-ish brown dirt. These plastic jugs would be filled by hand quickly, without any real attempts to compact the dirt. Perhaps by pouring the dirt into the jugs with a funnel.

Wolfram Alpha says about 1.05×10^7 gallons of "loose dirt"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Literally the first google result of 'dirt density' has a list of different dirts and their densities. Could you really not figure that out on your own?
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/dirt-mud-densities-d_1727.html
I hadn't thought the question through when I asked it.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

the posted:

Let's say I have 5 100mb movie files on a website.

A. It's faster to download each one at a time
B. It's faster to download them all at once
C. Both A and B take the same time

?
I choose B, so the download bandwidth is maximized (downloading just one file at a time may not use up all the bandwidth available to you)

Is there a song on which the main title for "A Million Ways To Die In The West" is based?

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 8, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I pay my electricity bill by direct debit, and if there is not enough money on my account to cover the payment, the bank will charge me €7. Why the fine? What does it cost the bank for me to fail to pay a direct debit?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Baron Bifford posted:

I pay my electricity bill by direct debit, and if there is not enough money on my account to cover the payment, the bank will charge me €7. Why the fine? What does it cost the bank for me to fail to pay a direct debit?

Because they can.

Theoretically, the bank profits off the money you have in the account through various scams complicated financial systems and carrying a negative balance would cost them money. But realistically, it is because they can get away with it. You can tell this is the case because if it was for an actual reason like compensating for lost money, the overdraft fees would vary on the amount of overdraft (say, 1%/day of the negative balance).

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
Just a quick update on the mosquito situation; after three nearly sleepless nights and killing hundreds and hundreds of mosquitoes, they're gone. There are maybe one or two a night now. They're still really thick outside, which suggests they did originate inside the house. The only thing I can figure at this point is that they hatched from the firewood that I brought into the basement over the winter, and it had finally gotten warm enough down there for them to go active.

Thanks y'all for your suggestions. I also want to give props to the maker of the Bug-A-Salt. In addition to the countless bugs we smashed by hand or with rolled-up newspapers, that thing probably has nearly 300 bodies on it by now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Just a quick update on the mosquito situation; after three nearly sleepless nights and killing hundreds and hundreds of mosquitoes, they're gone. There are maybe one or two a night now. They're still really thick outside, which suggests they did originate inside the house. The only thing I can figure at this point is that they hatched from the firewood that I brought into the basement over the winter, and it had finally gotten warm enough down there for them to go active.

Thanks y'all for your suggestions. I also want to give props to the maker of the Bug-A-Salt. In addition to the countless bugs we smashed by hand or with rolled-up newspapers, that thing probably has nearly 300 bodies on it by now.

Mosquito larvae hatch in water, as I think someone else pointed out already. You want to find and eliminate tepid, brackish, non-moving water. You can even see them swimming around in there just waiting to suck.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
http://videoapproach.com/

Does this site load so slow because it's a terrible WordPress template, or because it's hosted on a terrible GoDaddy server?

If there is a better thread for this question, please point me in the right direction.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

syscall girl posted:

Mosquito larvae hatch in water, as I think someone else pointed out already. You want to find and eliminate tepid, brackish, non-moving water. You can even see them swimming around in there just waiting to suck.

Yeah, you might have a sump or a floor drain somewhere that's a perfect breeding ground for them.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

photomikey posted:

Does this site load so slow because it's a terrible WordPress template, or because it's hosted on a terrible GoDaddy server?
It looks like the template/theme is hosted on a different host that is really slow (mikeandmusic.com). Try moving the files for the theme to the same host as the rest of the site.

edit: or maybe it's preloading a bunch of stuff. I'm not sure, sorry. It's probably not the actual template itself though.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 8, 2014

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

photomikey posted:

http://videoapproach.com/

If there is a better thread for this question, please point me in the right direction.

Both. You're loading a lot of different remote objects, and everything from mikeandmusic.com is loadign slowly AND has a 100-500ms latency attached to it.

(In chrome, visit the web page, open up Developer Tools and select the Network tab, right-click reload, and select "Empty Cache and Hard Reload")

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I just saw a book say "What's the center of these data?"

Why does that sentence seem so weird? My inclination is to say, "What is the center of this data?" but why is that not correct?

I was thinking that "data" in this sense refers to the entire group of data.

So I'd say, "What's the center of these oranges?" Or "What's the center of this group of oranges?"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

the posted:

I just saw a book say "What's the center of these data?"

Why does that sentence seem so weird? My inclination is to say, "What is the center of this data?" but why is that not correct?

I was thinking that "data" in this sense refers to the entire group of data.

So I'd say, "What's the center of these oranges?" Or "What's the center of this group of oranges?"

Yeah, the word data is commonly used as singular when technically that is datum. But no one uses datum, so data is kind of becoming a word for both singular and plural forms, ala moose. Annoying but what are ya gonna do?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Gravity Pike posted:

Both. You're loading a lot of different remote objects, and everything from mikeandmusic.com is loadign slowly AND has a 100-500ms latency attached to it.

(In chrome, visit the web page, open up Developer Tools and select the Network tab, right-click reload, and select "Empty Cache and Hard Reload")

mikeandmusic.com is the primary domain, and everything else is loading from that same hosting space.

I guess the bottom line question is what do I do to fix this abhorrent loading time?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Me and My girlfriend were poking around past my dads property and stumbled on a herd of cows. Probably 30-50 of them. They noticed us pretty straight away and kept an eye on us as we approached. There were quite a few calfs and the bigger cows seemed to push them to the back but it was hard to tell if they were curious or aggressive.. We were pretty leery about getting super close because there were so many, but I'd never heard of anyone being trampled by spooked or protective cows. Is there any real danger in approaching them? Or étiquette?

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 9, 2014

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

meanolmrcloud posted:

Me and My girlfriend were poking around past my dads property and stumbled on a herd of cows. Probably 30-50 of them. They noticed us pretty straight away and kept an eye on us as we approached. There were quite a few calfs and the bigger cows seemed to push them to the back but it was hard to tell if they were curious or aggressive.. We were pretty leery about getting super close because there were so many, but I'd never heard of anyone being trampled by spooked or protective cows. Is there any real danger in approaching them? Or étiquette?

If youtube has taught me anything, you should play some tuba music to win them over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKDu6cdXLI

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
They are big and dumb and don't know that they outweigh you by 10x and could easily kill you. So, basically, they won't *try* and kill you, but they may accidentally kill you.

I pussyfoot around them like a big old chicken, but any cowboy worth his spurs walks around like he owns the place.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

meanolmrcloud posted:

They pose zero danger to you. A cow's world view is basically "Is it grass that I can eat? If yes, eat. If not, watch warily from a distance and flee if it approaches." A bull won't hesitate to smash you into the ground, but there wouldn't normally be a bull in a paddock with young calves.

Etiquette-wise you probably should probably walk around them. You don't want a cow to hurt itself in the process of trying to run away from you.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Another thing is if they smell your sweat. Cows like salt, so they might approach you because they want to lick you. Don't let them lick you.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

More people are killed annually by cows in the US than by sharks. Cows are dumb beasts who can crush you to death without thinking about it, and they can get aggressive in the presence of calves.

Etiquette wise, it's generally a good idea to talk to the local rancher or farmer who put up a fence, before you hop over their fence. They put up that fence for a good reason. If all you want to do is pet cows, then you could just drive up to the farmhouse and tell them your intentions. Farm life has a lot of hurry up and wait, so they might want somebody to chat with on their down time.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 9, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

thrakkorzog posted:

More people are killed annually by cows in the US than by sharks. Cows are dumb beasts who can crush you to death without thinking about it, and they can get aggressive in the presence of calves.

Etiquette wise, it's generally a good idea to talk to the local rancher or farmer who put up a fence, before you hop over their fence. They put up that fence for a good reason. If all you want to do is pet cows, then you could just drive up to the farmhouse and tell them your intentions. Farm life has a lot of hurry up and wait, so they might want somebody to chat with on their down time.

Yeah, it's actually pretty cool to get food that way. Set up an appointment with a beef farmer, ask if they have time to show you around, meet the cows, then eat them later!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

If you see some cows in the world, polite etiquette dictates that you must first wait for a ball or dance to make your introductions. Approaching a cow whilst out on the street is an uncouth way to meet, and any honorable cow will rebuff your bungling advances. At the dance you may make pleasant conversation, but please avoid any sort of clownish and evocative bum-diggerly topics. Perhaps quote some Shakespeare or Keats to the cows so they may understand your mind. Thank them for the dance and leave your calling card, perhaps scented with a delicate musk so that they may remember your scent and touch.

Should the cows return the card, this signifies their openness to courtship and you may "keep company" with the cows as long as a chaperone is present. If you reach this point, please report back and I will tell you the next steps.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

There are several professional bug experts in the Critterquest thread, one of them can surely identify it for you.

Thanks, I'll crosspost there.

I hope they're potter wasps, or some other solitary wasp that doesn't get aggressive.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

meanolmrcloud posted:

As someone who grew up on a beef farm (~20 head), cattle generally don't pose much of a threat (although, they are very large and can do a lot of damage without trying). When I'd go out in the pasture most of the cattle would move away if I came close, so I wouldn't have been able to pet them easily if I wanted (unlike dairy cows that are used to human contact).

However, I've had a steer or two chase me, and we had one cow that was skittish and would stay away from people most of the year, but would be really defensive/aggressive when she had her calf and would go after people.

Most of the times when they go 'crazy', it's when they are in a small space and being singled out for something (shots, castration, de-horning). Even then most act fine, but I've seen some jump over and through fences, over doors and through windows. They can do a lot of damage once they start moving that large mass; it is amazing that they are kept in most the time by a single strand of electric fence.

As other people said, you shouldn't mess with other people's livestock without talking with the owner first (out of common courtesy and your own safety).

Edit: And the rule that I've always been told is to never trust a bull. So, don't go trying to pet the cattle if there is a bull with them.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 9, 2014

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

How come nobody has come up with a chewable that cleans humans teeth like the ones available for dogs?

These do exist, at least in the UK - I've seen them for sale in service station bathrooms, next to the condoms and tampons. I can't vouch for them being any good or not.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Duckbill posted:

These do exist, at least in the UK - I've seen them for sale in service station bathrooms, next to the condoms and tampons. I can't vouch for them being any good or not.

https://www.fuzzybrush.com/

Haha look at this poo poo.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Namarrgon posted:

Because they can.

Theoretically, the bank profits off the money you have in the account through various scams complicated financial systems and carrying a negative balance would cost them money. But realistically, it is because they can get away with it. You can tell this is the case because if it was for an actual reason like compensating for lost money, the overdraft fees would vary on the amount of overdraft (say, 1%/day of the negative balance).
Can you recommend me a good website or magazine that assesses banks and other financial institutions on how screwy they are with customers?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

Can you recommend me a good website or magazine that assesses banks and other financial institutions on how screwy they are with customers?

I can tell you that it can cost a surprising amount (in labor time) to deal with overdrafts. That is, unless a particular bank's way of dealing with it is entirely automated.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I have an account with ING, a Dutch bank, and there was a recent report in the news about how customers are pissed that it charges a €7 fee every time it fails to process a debit order due to lack of funds. I can't imagine why ING would need to charge this much since everything is done by computer - right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

They don't need to charge this much, but they can, so they do.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I had a gold's gym membership that was being autodebited to my debit card.
In January my bank issued me a new debit card due to the Target debacle. I totally forgot I had a gold's membership because I'd stopped going due to drama with coworkers who also went to that gym. About a month ago I started getting calls from a collections agency and I realized that I totally forgot about the gym membership. I also never check my mail -- checked it and I had like two letters from them demanding payment. Since they don't have a valid method of payment for me, are there any consequences of just not paying (outside of nonstop calls from collections agencies)?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Xibanya posted:

In January my bank issued me a new debit card due to the Target debacle. I totally forgot I had a gold's membership because I'd stopped going due to drama with coworkers who also went to that gym. About a month ago I started getting calls from a collections agency and I realized that I totally forgot about the gym membership. I also never check my mail -- checked it and I had like two letters from them demanding payment. Since they don't have a valid method of payment for me, are there any consequences of just not paying (outside of nonstop calls from collections agencies)?

They're going to gently caress up your credit score.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

And they can sue you.

Check your loving mail, you're a grown up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Does anyone know the name of those things that are basically gumball machines, but set up to dispense those large, plastic "egg" things taht have lovely, probably toxic, toys in them?

I have an idea that would require one of them, but I don't know how to search for them online to get one.

Just searching "gumball machine" only gets me actual gumball machines, and mostly just the tiny, "desktop" ones meant for keeping in a house to trick your kids into giving you back the pennies you gave them in the first place.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xibanya posted:

They know who you are, and now collections agencies know who you are. How is this even a question?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Does anyone know the name of those things that are basically gumball machines, but set up to dispense those large, plastic "egg" things taht have lovely, probably toxic, toys in them?

I have an idea that would require one of them, but I don't know how to search for them online to get one.

Just searching "gumball machine" only gets me actual gumball machines, and mostly just the tiny, "desktop" ones meant for keeping in a house to trick your kids into giving you back the pennies you gave them in the first place.

Try "toy vending machine" or "coin operated novelty machine"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DrBouvenstein posted:

gashapon machine or gashacon