Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I think I have a problem. I really wish the goddamn refurb shop would ship my order.

They shipped my wiimote + nunchuck and never actually show the order processed/shipped. Part of me is tempted to email them and ask where it is/have them ship me another one just because they never updated the original order, but I don't wanna be That Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wonderful 101, $18 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002I08CSW/ref=sr_1_1_np_0_olp?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1402161371&sr=1-1&condition=new

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

It's times like these wherein I wish I didn't spend all my money on a Wii U.

Are they any needed accessories? I don't really understand the need for a frontal protector on the gamepad unless you go do adventurous stuff with it. Am I missing something?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

noirstronaut posted:

Are they any needed accessories? I don't really understand the need for a frontal protector on the gamepad unless you go do adventurous stuff with it. Am I missing something?

Kids.

Though a lot of people put screen protectors on everything anyway after they've scratched their ds screen playing that male cheerleader game.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Since I already had most the other games in the deal I got Wii U Party with MK8. I don't see this brought up in the thread much so I will say this:

Holy gently caress if you play games with people in the same room get this poo poo. We've been sitting around drinking and playing this silly game and having a great time. We did the silly fashion board game one and got all into it (FABULOUS!). Followed that up with a few rounds of "Guess The Face" or whatever it's called exactly. Buncha buzzed people trying to twist their face into whatever goofball thing they throw at you leads to a ton of laughs.

I think this will finally replace Mario Party 8 as our play game & get drunk game. It feels way more rounded out than I would have thought.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

SMG doesn't need to be remade, its graphics are fine and it can be played on the Wii U as-is because of backwards compatibility. You are essentially asking Nintendo to waste its time.

Except, well, it's still not in HD which means it's a beautiful game with lots of jagged edges on everything. I think a lot of us would be down with paying like five bucks for a patch that just runs Galaxy 1&2 in 1080p and nothing more, and I'm sure that wouldn't take more than a day's worth of work. I know it'd never happen, but you know, HD is pretty nice.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm about 99% sure there's already an unofficial patch for a SMG iso to run it at 1080p through Dolphin.

e: Even in 1080p, it looks kinda dated. I imagine if Nintendo were to ever redo this (I have money on them announcing something at E3 relating to Galaxy) they'd update the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOK22M2MaZQ

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 8, 2014

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

gay skull posted:

Except, well, it's still not in HD which means it's a beautiful game with lots of jagged edges on everything. I think a lot of us would be down with paying like five bucks for a patch that just runs Galaxy 1&2 in 1080p and nothing more, and I'm sure that wouldn't take more than a day's worth of work. I know it'd never happen, but you know, HD is pretty nice.

Except
  • The Wii mode isn't capable of HD

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Best-case scenario, there's a digital re-release and they don't charge TOO much.

Insane pie-in-the-sky scenario, they let you use your Wii disc as proof-of-purchase to access the digital re-release.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I know it already gets plenty of praise, but I just picked up Rayman Legends and it's the best platformer I've ever played by a longshot. Gonna have to get Origins after I'm done with this... if I'm ever done with it...

vvvv Oh nice! I unlocked a couple of levels in the "Back to Origins" painting, but figured they'd only put in a handful of levels from it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enojy posted:

I know it already gets plenty of praise, but I just picked up Rayman Legends and it's the best platformer I've ever played by a longshot. Gonna have to get Origins after I'm done with this... if I'm ever done with it...

Legends includes a big chunk of the content from Origins. It's sort of pointless to go backwards.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
When does the Digital Deluxe Promotion thing end for people who bought the system at launch? I ask because I bought it at launch and still haven't used it enough to earn even one $5 code and I feel kind of like I'm wasting it (not enough to go out and earn 88 more points, though)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

When does the Digital Deluxe Promotion thing end for people who bought the system at launch? I ask because I bought it at launch and still haven't used it enough to earn even one $5 code and I feel kind of like I'm wasting it (not enough to go out and earn 88 more points, though)

It ends in December, I think - for everyone, not just launch purchasers. Unless Nintendo extends it, which they might.

Anyway, 88 points is just 9 dollars. Have you really spent only 42 dollars digitally, ever?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DoctorWhat posted:

It ends in December, I think - for everyone, not just launch purchasers. Unless Nintendo extends it, which they might.

Anyway, 88 points is just 9 dollars. Have you really spent only 42 dollars digitally, ever?

Less than that, actually. Some of them were Club Nintendo codes.

I might go look and see if there's a $9 Virtual Console game I want or something. I buy all my retail games physically and it's not like Nintendo gives me a reason to buy their VC games when they release 1 good one every other month.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I've gotten 3 codes, but that's because I bought both NES Remix games, Earthbound, and MK8 digitally. If there were better sales so that games matched $20 or less sales on Amazon maybe I would use it more.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Thanks thread for alerting me of my 5 free dollars thanks to my free Wind Waker! I shall use this money to finally beat Rustys Real Deal Baseball. I love how that game progresses purely by you throwing money at it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Reminder that you can use your DD credit on 3DS games if you want to.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wow, thanks for reminding me that the Deluxe Digital Promotion exists! I just checked and I had 10 bucks waiting for me! :toot:

That's 10 bucks off Smash when the time comes... or whatever else...

In total, I've gotten $15 from this thing. Not bad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've already gotten 40 bux from the DDP. It's nearly paid for itself!

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Lordie, I had $65 in free Nintendo money waiting for me. Thanks for the reminder about the deluxe promotion, thread!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

pastis posted:

Lordie, I had $65 in free Nintendo money waiting for me. Thanks for the reminder about the deluxe promotion, thread!

Actually, assuming you spend at least 50 of that on the Wii U, you've got $70 in Nintendo money! :eng101:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Mario Sunshine should absolutely be at the top of any remake list. Galaxy is still easy to find in stores (DEAL with 480p, you nerds :colbert:), whereas Sunshine can only be purchased secondhand and played on retired hardware. Hell, it's basically the only Mario game that Nintendo can't make any money off of right now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I too never bothered checking if I had free money waiting through the deluxe dealie. Looks like that new Pushmo is on Nintendo when it comes out :)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Minidust posted:

Mario Sunshine should absolutely be at the top of any remake list. Galaxy is still easy to find in stores (DEAL with 480p, you nerds :colbert:), whereas Sunshine can only be purchased secondhand and played on retired hardware. Hell, it's basically the only Mario game that Nintendo can't make any money off of right now.

On the other hand, Galaxy 2 is less easy to find.

Too bad the Nintendo Selects budget line never went past the first batch of games and Pikmin 2.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Question about the digital deluxe promotion: I bought the Mario Kart deluxe bundle and I've only got points showing up for the extra game I purchased, Pikmin 3. Mario Kart 8 isn't showing up on my Club Nintendo account either though, do I have to do the Wii U registration survey before that appears? I'm saving that until after the yearly coin thing is over because I already have Platinum status and I'd rather have the 160 coins count towards next year.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Cloks posted:

Question about the digital deluxe promotion: I bought the Mario Kart deluxe bundle and I've only got points showing up for the extra game I purchased, Pikmin 3. Mario Kart 8 isn't showing up on my Club Nintendo account either though, do I have to do the Wii U registration survey before that appears? I'm saving that until after the yearly coin thing is over because I already have Platinum status and I'd rather have the 160 coins count towards next year.

Link the Wii U to your Nintendo ID and it will show up after a bit I believe, you do the survey for the console not the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You don't get to do a survey if you bought the bundle.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Goons, I grabbed a refurb U and MK8 because of a certain sibling's malevolent gaze. Would I be happier using the free download to get NSMBU, or Pikmin 3, and buying 3D World? It seems like 3D is more beloved than NSMBU. I Will be playing with :siren: my wife :siren: if it matters.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

NSMBU might be a catalyst for some loveless nights, so if that's a concern, just get Pikmin. That said, I went with Pikmin myself and I haven't regretted it. It's fun, it's not too, too challenging and it's absolutely gorgeous. There's multiplayer on it too apparently, if that makes a difference.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just grabbed 20 bucks from the DDP :stare: I completely forgot that it existed. Getting Mario Kart 8 for 10 bucks off PLUS Pikmin 3 is a fantastic deal. The only Pikmin I've played is from Nintendoland so this is my first experience. It's really fun, but the controls are kinda awkward to use.

This is the first time I've used my Wii U in nearly 4 months.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 8, 2014

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Goons, I grabbed a refurb U and MK8 because of a certain sibling's malevolent gaze. Would I be happier using the free download to get NSMBU, or Pikmin 3, and buying 3D World? It seems like 3D is more beloved than NSMBU. I Will be playing with :siren: my wife :siren: if it matters.

This week you can get 3D World for $15 off at Target (you have to reserve a copy of Smash for $1). I hear that both NSMBU and 3D World are great games, but 3D World really perfects the formula so if you're only getting one or the other than get 3D World.

I'd recommend Pikmin 3 for the free game. It has co-op / multiplayer as well, so it seems like a good choice for a game to play with someone. Make sure you're okay with the Action RTS style gameplay though.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

noirstronaut posted:

Sorry for the double-post, but wanted to thank PaletteSwappedNinja for pointing this deal out! This means on Amazon you can get The Wonderful 101 and ZombieU together for about $31. However, because you get free shipping at $35, it looks like it's cheaper to get $4 more worth of stuff then to pay for shipping. The GamePad Accessory Set with a screen protector is only $1.69. Does anyone know of any extra low cost WiiU stuff it would be good to get, or am I buying 2 or 3 Accessory Sets?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

axeil posted:

The only Pikmin I've played is from Nintendoland so this is my first experience. It's really fun, but the controls are kinda awkward to use.

What are you controlling it with? Try Remote an Nunchuck if you haven't yet.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Does anyone have an experience with Wii Party U? I already have NSMB, played through Wind Waker, and I don't think I'm honestly very interested in Pikmin.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Little Mac posted:

Does anyone have an experience with Wii Party U? I already have NSMB, played through Wind Waker, and I don't think I'm honestly very interested in Pikmin.

If you have to make the choice between getting your head blown off with a shotgun and Pikmin, choose Pikmin.

Wii-U party is not very good.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks for the input guys, pushed me in the direction I was leaning. Although I think I'm more excited about pre ordering Smash Bros than anything. How much do we love Smash Bros?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Thanks for the input guys, pushed me in the direction I was leaning. Although I think I'm more excited about pre ordering Smash Bros than anything. How much do we love Smash Bros?

The two biggest reasons to get a Wii U are for Mario Kart 8 and the fact that Smash Bros (which we love) comes out for Wii U later this year.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Little Mac posted:

If you have other people to play with frequently it's a solid option especially at the price point of free. There are a lot of filler minigames in it but in the midst of them are some gems that are fun with casual gamers and they can make good drinking games. If you're playing it exclusively single player you won't get as much value out of it.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
If you're on the fence with the free MK8 promo (like, you don't have friends for Wii Party U, you already have Wind Waker, and you're kinda ehh on NSMB), I definitely think Pikmin 3 is worth it. It's really easy to pick up, still challenging, and can unexpectedly appeal to people who aren't even interested in video games. My fiancee is really into it and she really doesn't like video games at all. (She still lost her entire army against the first boss, though...)

Also, I just want to point out that (Pikmin 3 spoiler)Louie is an rear end in a top hat, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually supposed to be the main villain of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

Also, I just want to point out that (Pikmin 3 spoiler)Louie is an rear end in a top hat, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's actually supposed to be the main villain of the series.

Considering that in Pikmin 2 It's implied that he actually took over the Titan Dweevil and was directing it to attack Olimar, yeah Louie's a weirdo.

• Locked thread