Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Random Stranger posted:

Well, with Microsoft adding to it they'd have Master Chief and some Gears of War guy so they could have a whole set of generic space marines to choose from!

You're forgetting Lococycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

RoboCicero posted:

I just got this very reliable, completely legitimate leak of nintendo's lineup on Tuesday.

This is what happens when Itoi isn't writing the Mother games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Rocketlex posted:

If this is real, I wonder what new, promising studio they acquired to make it and then shutter without warning.

It's weirder because they didn't exactly acquire Superbot as much as Sony formed the study themselves to be an independent second-party studio made up of both new people and people with a Sony Santa Monica background, with the final form of the studio eventually working on PSASBR.

The whole story behind the game's development and what they could/couldn't get seems almost more interesting than the game itself turned out to be.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Iron Galaxy can't save Sony Smash, they're already working to save Killer Instinct aren't they?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Bass Bottles posted:

You're forgetting Lococycle.

A Peggle.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I'd be down for Sony Smash 2 if they got an actual roster comprised of characters who best represent PlayStation around the world over the years and made the game anything other than Super Meter: The Game.

I somehow managed to get the plat on the Vita version of PSASBR: Super Meter: the Game, and could not reliably get kills with most of the weak supers. What a horribly failed experiment.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Meanwhile, the Xbox stage is apparently an Escher painting with a fashion walkway

VvvvV edit: Game on. :q:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Cross-Section posted:

Meanwhile, the Xbox stage is apparently an Escher painting with a fashion walkway

Oh god, they're doing Cirque du Soleil again!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

RoboCicero posted:

I just got this very reliable, completely legitimate leak of nintendo's lineup on Tuesday.

We're not this lucky.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Walkways are nice for musical performances but it might be a little awkward in a room of seated journalists.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Organs posted:

Walkways are nice for musical performances but it might be a little awkward in a room of seated journalists.

usher confirmed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Let's be clear who's signing is paycheck, then. Journalists/reviewers shouldn't be employed by the very industry they're investigating. If they are, then they are PR flacks or advertisers, not journalists. That's all I'm arguing.

Sorry for making an effortpost, I guess.
I dunno. A host is a host and I don't consider Geoff a journalist when he's in that capacity. He has people on whose job is supposed to be to provide criticism and analysis, but they end up shilling too, which is on them. I wouldn't expect Al Michaels to go on a tirade about how much the NFL sucks while he's trying to call the Super Bowl, but if someone died on the field and then they went to the studio show and Hines Ward and Tony Dungy just sat there talking about how great the game was, that would be pretty fuckin weird. That's my perspective.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pictured: the last bits of the Xbox division's budget.

Rocketlex posted:

Oh god, they're doing Cirque du Soleil again!

Called it!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I hope someone walks down that runway, announces that Microsoft is shutting down their video game division because gamers are little bitches who don't deserve the Xbone, drops the mic and walks out backward with one middle finger in the air and the other hand pounding some Dew.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Cook posted:

I can't wait for all those new, beloved Sony characters they couldn't fit in the first game like

Considering there is a Moogle in that video, if Sony wants to greatly expand the "traditionally Playstation" aspect of the lineup, the game's roster could be massive.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

Considering there is a Moogle in that video, if Sony wants to greatly expand the "traditionally Playstation" aspect of the lineup, the game's roster could be massive.

SE would probably contribute Lightning, Sephiroth, and a bunch of Kingdom Hearts characters that nobody born before 9/11 cares about.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

SE would probably contribute Lightning, Sephiroth, and a bunch of Kingdom Hearts characters that nobody born before 9/11 cares about.
Where were you when Aeris fell

e: SEE look Geoff's havin the TIME OF HIS LIFE!!! wouldn't you wanna get a drink with this guy

:geno:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I'd be all for Playstation All-Stars if they got actual characters and gameplay that wasn't sluggish as poo poo.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: SEE look Geoff's havin the TIME OF HIS LIFE!!! wouldn't you wanna get a drink with this guy

Dat thousand yard stare...

The console war takes its toll man. No man can see what he has seen and come out the other side the same.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

abagofcheetos posted:

Just like Big Daddy, who was once an Xbox exclusive.

If they want to save Sony All Stars, they should just copy Smash's formula 1 for 1, because only being able to KO people with supers is the worst mechanic I've ever heard.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Are they linking arms and doing shots of Game Fuel? That's videogames.jpg as gently caress.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Symphoric posted:

Dat thousand yard stare...

The console war takes its toll man. No man can see what he has seen and come out the other side the same.

One of the few times he actually seemed legitimately excited for a world-exclusive reveal on his show was when he had a trailer for the then just announced Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust. Dude was a huge fan of the Sierra adventure games of his youth and was so excited to see another LSL title. :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The next picture is Geoff laying on the ground looking over at his empty cup of GAME FUEL. He lays his head back and closes his yes. The music starts.

"Clearly I will go smiling... no more..."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

To be fair I'd look like this too if I was at the GAME FUrL station.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

If they want to save Sony All Stars, they should just copy Smash's formula 1 for 1, because only being able to KO people with supers is the worst mechanic I've ever heard.

If they want to save Sony Smash Bros. they need to get Crash and Spyro, and not some lame-os like Big Daddy and the guy from Dead Space.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Suspicious Cook posted:

I can get what they were going for, the idea that you win using your big moves, but it played so poorly and those "big moves" were so bland. What a dull, boring game...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've never actually played the first All Stars, but they should really copy Power Stone 2... that game was fun as hell 4 player.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

I'd be down for Sony Smash 2 if they got an actual roster comprised of characters who best represent PlayStation around the world over the years and made the game anything other than Super Meter: The Game.

Characters to appear in PSABR2:

- Arc the Lad
- Jersey Devil
- somebody from Rogue Galaxy
- a character from a timed Xbox exclusive game
- a character from a game that isn't released yet
- Q*Bert
- Blasto (voiced by Adam Carolla)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't own playstation system past 2, but I did watch the Game Grumps play Sony Smash. Aren't there literally two characters that are just "normal rear end dude" and "normal rear end dude's evil normal rear end twin"? Cole whatever from whatever game or something

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Rogue Galaxy one is actually likely is the sad thing.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Last Guardian is happening this year guys. I can feel it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pixeltendo posted:

If they want to save Sony Smash Bros. they need to get Crash and Spyro, and not some lame-os like Big Daddy and the guy from Dead Space.

They actually tried to get both of these characters in the game but apparently Activision's asking price for them was ridiculously high.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Random Stranger posted:

I can get what they were going for, the idea that you win using your big moves, but it played so poorly and those "big moves" were so bland. What a dull, boring game...

The bigger problem was that for all their talking up of how technical the game was, at launch you could cheese people with insta-kill combo setups with such amazing execution requirements as forward square -> super 1 (Raiden).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SEE look Geoff's havin the TIME OF HIS LIFE!!! wouldn't you wanna get a drink with this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Macaluso posted:

I don't own playstation system past 2, but I did watch the Game Grumps play Sony Smash. Aren't there literally two characters that are just "normal rear end dude" and "normal rear end dude's evil normal rear end twin"? Cole whatever from whatever game or something
Yeah, Cole from Infamous. They had Good Cole and Evil Cole as separate characters.

The thing with Sony All Stars is that they do have some cool first party characters, i.e. Jennifer Tate, Wild Arms characters, Sir Dan. Problem is that nobody knows who the hell they are because most never became major franchises.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

The Last Guardian is happening this year guys. I can feel it.

The Last Guardian has been canceled, but its main character will be in Sony All Stars 2.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Treeco is too big for smash

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Suspicious Cook posted:

The Last Guardian has been canceled, but its main character will be in Sony All Stars 2.

Is that the rat dog thing or the boy?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Yup, there's Infamous Guy, Evil Infamous Guy, Killzone Guy, Nolan North, and the cat from Japan. Such a memorable cast of Sony All-Stars. :geno:

Accordion Man posted:

The thing with Sony All Stars is that they do have some cool first party characters, i.e. Jennifer Tate, Wild Arms characters, Sir Dan. Problem is that nobody knows who the hell they are because most never became major franchises.

They also just made some really boneheaded decisions as far as characters go. I mean, who the hell picks a character who relies entirely on ranged attacks in a Smash style game? Playstation 1 made its mark on RPGs and they had a grand total of 0 RPG characters, hell they cancelled an RPG character so they could have more characters from their generic as hell action games.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

The developer said it was a mandate from from Sucker Punch, who were higher on the pecking order than the newbie dev.

A similar situation is why there most likely wasn't any Team Ico representation. They didn't want any of their stuff in the game so there wasn't a trace.

Even though...y'know they seemed perfectly fine with Little Big Planet DLC with costumes, sounds and stickers from their games.

• Locked thread