Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Jesus nothing makes me feel more like a failure with a camera than taking pictures of kids. They're always moving in every direction all the damned time (unless someone's holding them, and even then they're basically worms).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
^^^^ Try having the parent near you and/or one of their favorite toys near/above your camera. Kids photography = animal photography...they have the same attention span imho.

thetzar posted:

Well, that's awesome. Great light, great model, great energy. When do you graduate from Dorkroom?

These are some people pictures. I've started playing around with selectively applying color temperature, which I picked up from this guy, who is way better than I am.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Love all of them, especially the third one! I would say second/third are stronger than the first but that's my opinion.

As for me, I've been playing with the Fuji X-T1 + fujinon 35mm 1.4R lately... lots of fun shooting with it!

DSCF0436 by avoyer, on Flickr

DSCF0370 by avoyer, on Flickr

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Paragon8 posted:

here's a thing I did. vaguely nsfw depending on your w.

Also typing in BBcode makes me feel like a hacker.

What's your lighting setup like for these? Great shots!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

triplexpac posted:

I'm sure he'll chime in, but I'd guess a mixture of ambient light and on camera flash.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

triplexpac posted:

it's just on camera flash but I shoot it at a wide aperture so I can get a bit of depth of field to it. That's the nice thing about speedlites is that you can actually dial them down a lot. Just ETTL as well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Paragon8 posted:

it's just on camera flash but I shoot it at a wide aperture so I can get a bit of depth of field to it. That's the nice thing about speedlites is that you can actually dial them down a lot. Just ETTL as well.

Yeah I thought it looked like that, just couldn't be sure. Funny how I spend so much time playing around with off-camera flash, but you can get a cool look with on-camera directly shot at the model too. I'll definitely have to try that out!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think a lot of people poo poo on it because of Terry Richardson and his notoriety but virtually every top photographer does it.

It's a good thing to have in your pocket. It is always gratifying seeing something shot with it because it's like oh I can do that. When some set ups have like 50K worth of lighting which seems like a pipe dream. That said I was able to play around with a profoto telezoom and I love that light.

Where a lot of people go wrong I feel is that they don't do post on it as much as they should.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Paragon8 posted:

I think a lot of people poo poo on it because of Terry Richardson and his notoriety but virtually every top photographer does it.

It's a good thing to have in your pocket. It is always gratifying seeing something shot with it because it's like oh I can do that. When some set ups have like 50K worth of lighting which seems like a pipe dream. That said I was able to play around with a profoto telezoom and I love that light.

Where a lot of people go wrong I feel is that they don't do post on it as much as they should.

I dig that style, partially because I feel like it really showcases the confidence and chemistry between model and photographer... but mostly because it really jiggles the stick found up a lot of photographers asses.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

David Pratt posted:

I agree with the comments about the colour. Here's a more neutral edit (hope you don't mind, will take it down if you do):

bisticles posted:

Definitely like that version better. Seems like it was a good shoot, maybe just got sucked a little deeply down the editing hole. I'd like to see it taken down even a little more, just to tame the hotspot on his cheek and teeth. I do really like the interaction between the background hue and the muted skintones, though.

Totally disagree here. The neutral edit makes him look like a zombie. The originals might be touch too contrasty but they're not horrible. The catchlights are interesting and it's a nice change of pace. Could've used a touch more light on the eyes for the girl. But I wouldn't call this level of hard light unflattering at all. It's harder light done well. If anything the white balancing may be off a bit. I'd revisit the editing but the light itself isn't bad.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Lost in the (Short) Lallang by alkanphel, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Either those are some really big blades of grass, or that's a really tiny man.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's lallang, so yeah it's big grass.

I still like how it has this weird perspective where you can't really get a grasp of the scale of things on it at all. It's fairly interesting.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
"What? Heh, I just have, erm, really big pubes"

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

DSC05077
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC05089

DSC05083

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I've never tried anything in black & white before. This girl really wanted to do a b&w portrait though, I'm glad she did.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

They're all technically nice pictures (I'd like to see a little more light on the face, maybe, but that's purely a personal thing). This could be a really neat triptych idea, but I don't think the you/model do a great job of showing real emotion...so it looks like he's about to start smiling sarcastically in every one.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
PAYIN' ATTENTION, SON

Payin Attention by TomOlson, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I was trying something new, I dont think its quite there but its a good start.

Untitled by francography, on Flickr

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
Konfirmation by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

Konfirmation by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

I like the last version more. Is there something that I can do to improve it?

I have used the adjustement bruch in LR5, raised the exposure on the face and body, lowered exposure in the hair.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

somnambulist posted:

try pushing the whites in the skin more to add more contrast. As is you run the risk of making it look like unintentionally bad kid's portrait photography.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

somnambulist posted:

I'm getting a horror movie / this child has seen some poo poo vibe from it.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Outtake from some lookbook thing. Fuji GSWIII. Provia 100 with a '97 expiration date and little to no fridge time that I got off craigslist a few years ago.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Like it a lot. I'm fine with the shadow, but seeing where the seamless curves to the ground bugs me a little.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Like it a lot. I'm fine with the shadow, but seeing where the seamless curves to the ground bugs me a little.
Thanks!

On the seamless, I am torn about seeing the curve, but it does bother me that it's at an angle...

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

notlodar posted:

Thanks!

On the seamless, I am torn about seeing the curve, but it does bother me that it's at an angle...

I think with seamless stuff it's nice to leave that kind of thing in because it just adds a slight degree of character or else you run the risk of it looking like soulless amazon patented ecomm.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Corey by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

We met Corey (a.k.a. Big Bird) at RJ's Drive-In Restaurant in Burns, Oregon. Corey is from Tacoma, Washington, and moved to Burns three years ago. Today was his first day off in 12 days from working the night shift at the local Safeway. He planned to spend his day hunting. He is a proponent of the right to carry arms. "Out here, you need guns. You go out of town and there's badgers, wild pigs, coyotes, bobcats. Badgers are mean, but their legs are short, so they can't jump."

Lynn by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Lynn owns A Bit of Europe antique store in John Day, Oregon. Originally from northern England, Lynn has owned her shop for 20 years. As she organized a pile of old linens, Lynn commented on how she used to love to throw seven-course dinner parties back in England, where people would stay up till 2:00 am and finish the night with a pot of coffee and some brandy. On having dinners here in the U.S., she says that "people here just want to come over at 5:00, have a hamburger, and leave." On being an antiques dealer, Lynn says: "You don't have to be a thief to make a living. I like to be fair."

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 1, 2014

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Friend doing some home improvements and I snapped this one.

Jon by Dev Luns, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

MrBlandAverage posted:

We met Corey (a.k.a. Big Bird) at RJ's Drive-In Restaurant in Burns, Oregon. Corey is from Tacoma, Washington, and moved to Burns three years ago. Today was his first day off in 12 days from working the night shift at the local Safeway. He planned to spend his day hunting coyotes. He is a proponent of the right to carry arms. "Out here, you need guns. You go out of town and there's badgers, wild pigs, coyotes, bobcats. Badgers are mean, but their legs are short, so they can't jump."

This one in particular works on a few levels. The (empty) gun rack in the truck. The similar rugged, no-bullshit, two-tone color scheme of both the guy and the truck. Even his hair matches the color of the rust!

Edit: My point is that I like the text but this image in particular doesn't require any.

feigning interest fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 1, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

MrBlandAverage posted:

We met Corey (a.k.a. Big Bird) at RJ's Drive-In Restaurant in Burns, Oregon. Corey is from Tacoma, Washington, and moved to Burns three years ago. Today was his first day off in 12 days from working the night shift at the local Safeway. He planned to spend his day hunting coyotes. He is a proponent of the right to carry arms. "Out here, you need guns. You go out of town and there's badgers, wild pigs, coyotes, bobcats. Badgers are mean, but their legs are short, so they can't jump."

Lynn by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Lynn owns A Bit of Europe antique store in John Day, Oregon. Originally from northern England, Lynn has owned her shop for 20 years. As she organized a pile of old linens, Lynn commented on how she used to love to throw seven-course dinner parties back in England, where people would stay up till 2:00 am and finish the night with a pot of coffee and some brandy. On having dinners here in the U.S., she says that "people here just want to come over at 5:00, have a hamburger, and leave." On being an antiques dealer, Lynn says: "You don't have to be a thief to make a living. I like to be fair."

Love the first one, seconding that it tells the story on its own. The second is technically fine but to me is just "someone's grandma smiling with a cup of coffee".

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I really like them both. The second doesn't just look like someone's grandma holding a cup of coffee. It's a nice portrait, and the books and case in front of her add enough to pique my interest about who she is. I like that's she's got a coffee cup in her hands, I think it'd be a lot more bland if she didn't.

Like the stories too :)

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
That probably sounded harsh, what I meant is she is pulling a smile for the camera kind of face, it would be better with a more natural expression.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I still disagree. I like her smile, because it feels like she's very welcoming and maybe a tad nervous for the photo, which adds some familiarity to the shot. It does give off a grandmotherly vibe, but not in a bad way.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

feigning interest posted:

This one in particular works on a few levels. The (empty) gun rack in the truck. The similar rugged, no-bullshit, two-tone color scheme of both the guy and the truck. Even his hair matches the color of the rust!

Edit: My point is that I like the text but this image in particular doesn't require any.

deaders posted:

Love the first one, seconding that it tells the story on its own. The second is technically fine but to me is just "someone's grandma smiling with a cup of coffee".

CarrotFlowers posted:

I really like them both. The second doesn't just look like someone's grandma holding a cup of coffee. It's a nice portrait, and the books and case in front of her add enough to pique my interest about who she is. I like that's she's got a coffee cup in her hands, I think it'd be a lot more bland if she didn't.

Like the stories too :)

Thanks! My girlfriend, an anthropologist, wrote the words. We're thinking about a few possible projects involving portraits and interviews with strangers.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

MrBlandAverage posted:

Thanks! My girlfriend, an anthropologist, wrote the words. We're thinking about a few possible projects involving portraits and interviews with strangers.
The write-ups were really well done and made me explore the pictures deeper, and then in turn read the description again.

Seems like a really interesting concept. I could go through dozens of those before getting bored I'd think.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Bleach by TomOlson, on Flickr

Don by TomOlson, on Flickr

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
_MG_0063-2.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

_MG_0050.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

IMG_3488.jpg by Photografaffer, on Flickr

Some stuff I shot for my portrait final coming up.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Shelli
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Mom by TomOlson, on Flickr

Dad by TomOlson, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

There is something about these that feels like a missed moment, I think it's her expression. Or I am just projecting because it's the same face my girlfriend makes 95% of the time when I photograph her.