Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

I'm probably coming across as more harsh and militant than I intend to, and I'm not looking to alienate people in here. Points have been made, cool non-boob models have been posted. Yay, warhams.

:cheers:

e: Top of page Discount Bees throwback picture!

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I retconned my tau's background to be sobs who have seen the light of Allah/greater good. They have battle hardened lingerie future armor and helmets. Check out their t&a high heeled action

Nice.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Tadhg posted:

e: Top of page Discount Bees throwback picture!

Hot drat, I miss that man.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
HOOKED TO A SCREAMER-KILLER gets me every time.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Since when did GW start producing actual painting tutorials on youtube that doesnt require a 9.99$ purchase or 31 different paints? I really like Duncan Rhodes :3:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I've been glancing through the Chaos Maries dex for giggles. Is there any way to make terminators or helbrutes troops? Or is it only Cultists, CSMs, chosen and the various gods CSM?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

CyberLord XP posted:

I've been glancing through the Chaos Maries dex for giggles. Is there any way to make terminators or helbrutes troops? Or is it only Cultists, CSMs, chosen and the various gods CSM?

Just take an unbound list.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Just take an unbound list.

I have a thing where I don't like using unpainted models. I feel the same way for unbound lists. Just a personal thing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

CyberLord XP posted:

I have a thing where I don't like using unpainted models. I feel the same way for unbound lists. Just a personal thing.

Well then I have bad news for you

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Meh, I'm just killing time until GW releases the Ork codex. Why did they have to choose this one to slow role the release? Release the book GRRM GW!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CyberLord XP posted:

Meh, I'm just killing time until GW releases the Ork codex. Why did they have to choose this one to slow role the release? Release the book GRRM GW!

Because it's going to be garbage and you know it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Do a GK counts as CSM like WOM did, or is it CSM counts as GK?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

S.J. posted:

Because it's going to be garbage and you know it.

I'm not scared.

Honestly it's just messing with my gaming plans. I've got a swapmeet on the 28th, but I'm not going to bother if I don't have a codex to read through first. Same goes for any new models. I'm not buying anything new without knowing the rules since I run this hobby on a tight budget.

But I get bored which means I just go spend my money on other things while GW make me wait.

EDIT: Let's not even start on the upcoming Steam Summer Sale and E3. Just less $$$ for GW stuff.

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 9, 2014

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

There are the Helbrute data slates so you can fit a ridiculous number of them in. Throw in some cultists for your FOC and use a Helbrute MurderFistPackSkullBlood Strikeforce or whatever it is called

quote:

A Helfist Murderpack consists of the following models:
- 5 Helbrutes

Pretty much the most 40k unit description

Karandras fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 9, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
This thread needs some more dakka in its life.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Slimnoid posted:

This thread needs some more dakka in its life.

I assume every weapon is fired by pressing a single button.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I still see zoggin' legz and torso! 0/10 would not loot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

The fact that someone actually sat at a table and sculpted that and the fact that they sculpted a vagina , is hilarious to me.

Seriously what the loving hell.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CyberLord XP posted:

This one's just as slow a release as everything they've done this year.

Hollismason posted:

The fact that someone actually sat at a table and sculpted that and the fact that they sculpted a vagina , is hilarious to me.

The thread on Dakka when that model came out was legendarily horrid. The number of people jumping in to defend it was staggering.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Hollismason posted:

It's actually a LOT worse but I guess he had the good sense to remove a couple of pictures. The tail is an honest to god penis aimed at the woman lying on her side. It's quite literally a rape monster. When he released it there were pictures making it very clear.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dear lord, that thing is disgusting. Giger, rest his biomechanical penis sould, would go "That's too much".

100% sure that came from some jerkoff material a creeper on DA came up with. The other stuff on there is almost as bad. The creator really has a preggo fetish.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

CyberLord XP posted:

GW is releasing the models first because nobody will buy them once they have the codex in hand to see how bad the new units are. I really hope this backfires on them, with nobody buying the new kits until the codex drops, and nobody buying the new models (like Flashgits that are still going to be horrendously outclassed by Lootas unless Lootas have a huuge, huge nerf). It might teach GW that most people buy models based on their rules, which hopefully means they clean up their act and start writing better rules for stuff that isn't a 'good guy faction'.

At least 40k hasn't gone all 'order vs chaos' like WFB has, but for all we know that could be next edition in 2016

SRM posted:

This one's just as slow a release as everything they've done this year.
The Tyranid codex came out at the same time as all the models, it's just a stupid new release method that they've concocted that IIRC has only been used on Dwarves, Wood Elves and Orks so far.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 9, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
But we've already seen the rules for both of the kits they're releasing? :confused:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ghetto wormhole posted:

But we've already seen the rules for both of the kits they're releasing? :confused:

We have. Anyone who reads White Dwarf has. But a lot of 40k players aren't on this (or similar) threads/boards and don't read White Dwarf. Those people may go in and impulse buy the stuff, stats unseen.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Also, this is a weird thing about the hobby, but people sometimes buy models that aren't optimal choices because they look cool.

Hence why my Eldar are led by Illic Nightspear, professional Necron hunter.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

We haven't seen the rest of the codex, and unless Lootas get absolutely sodomised with the nerfbat they're still going to be leaps and bounds ahead of Flashgits. The Gorkamorkanaut is also outclassed by the Stompa too, which are completely 40k legal thanks to Lords of War being a Force Org slot.

We may know how these models look in a vacuum, but not how they stack up against the rest of the models in the codex, or how they synergise/combo with other stuff.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

HiveCommander posted:

GW is releasing the models first because nobody will buy them once they have the codex in hand to see how bad the new units are. I really hope this backfires on them, with nobody buying the new kits until the codex drops, and nobody buying the new models (like Flashgits that are still going to be horrendously outclassed by Lootas unless Lootas have a huuge, huge nerf). It might teach GW that most people buy models based on their rules, which hopefully means they clean up their act and start writing better rules for stuff that isn't a 'good guy faction'.

This is getting really loving old now. As if the constant stream of reflexive negativity wasn't tedious enough, now we're whining about poo poo that GW hasn't even done yet? You are imagining things to be arsey about. gently caress a Christ.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I can, to a limited extent, but it will affect shipping.

How limited is limited? If you can do Australia I'm gonna try and land rush the Deathwing and Rhino, but if you can't there's no point in me :f5: all day

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

which hopefully means they clean up their act and start writing better rules for stuff that isn't a 'good guy faction'.

Honestly this is texas sharpshooting at its best. A lovely nid codex and suddenly it's proof of a massive anti bad guys/xenos conspiracy.

First of all the distinction between good guys and bad guys is pretty blurry in 40k but apart from that the xenos factions have had the run of the meta for the last couple years. Before Tau and Eldar ruled the roost, necrons held the top spot.

The fact of the matter is that most armies get their day in the sun. There was a time, not too long ago, when it was all about blood angels and Dark Eldar and before that I remember when Ork bikers crumped everyone and people ran in fear of the slaaneshi daemon prince.

Sure, the last two nid books have been a massive let down and nids haven't been competetive in a very long time. But I put that towards poor rules writing and implementation rather than some massive GW conspiracy to keep the forces of the imperium at the top of tournament ladders.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Cataphract posted:

and people ran in fear of the slaaneshi daemon prince.

I'd managed to forget about Doublelash Princes - Or at least their controller shoving my Scorpions together and chipping the paint off. Now it all comes rushing back. :sigh:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cataphract posted:

Honestly this is texas sharpshooting at its best. A lovely nid codex and suddenly it's proof of a massive anti bad guys/xenos conspiracy.

First of all the distinction between good guys and bad guys is pretty blurry in 40k but apart from that the xenos factions have had the run of the meta for the last couple years. Before Tau and Eldar ruled the roost, necrons held the top spot.

The fact of the matter is that most armies get their day in the sun. There was a time, not too long ago, when it was all about blood angels and Dark Eldar and before that I remember when Ork bikers crumped everyone and people ran in fear of the slaaneshi daemon prince.

Sure, the last two nid books have been a massive let down and nids haven't been competetive in a very long time. But I put that towards poor rules writing and implementation rather than some massive GW conspiracy to keep the forces of the imperium at the top of tournament ladders.

Dark Angels OP!!!!!!!!!!! :qq:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cataphract posted:

Kind of have to agree. The turd codices of 6E are pretty evenly split between the faction--Tyranids for xenos, Dark Angels for Imperium, and Chaos Marines are badguys but they're also in power armor with spikes so let's call it splitting the difference as to whether GW's on their side or not :v: (also to be fair they seem not to be in the same category as the other two when it comes to overall badness, just have a lot of worthless units)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

It's not a conspiracy, the fact is that popular stuff like Space Marines sell by the bucketload and GW naturally put more focus onto stuff that sells well. It also means they end up neglecting stuff that doesn't hit the big numbers for whatever reasons (expensive metal models like SoB, for instance). Necrons weren't popular at all when they had one of the oldest codexes, as soon as they got a new book with good rules and new models they started selling a ton. The Necron release was a good example of what GW should do for all factions (fluff notwithstanding). SoB could do with a proper, physical codex and new, plastic infantry models and they can also be a licence to print money.

GW just get tunnelvision on what's popular and forget that other factions have the chance to be big money-makers if they put in as much loving time and care into them as they did with Necrons/most other perceived 'good guys'. If rules-writing was consistent between codexes there'd be more people buying the models for the lower-selling armies.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The codex isn't being released yet because people might find out that Flash Gitz are not as relatively bad as they appear to be in the already released rules and then people wouldn't buy the kit! This is not contradictory at all. *eyes spin around in opposite directions as ears make steam-whistle noises*

GW should release major online updates to old codexes like other companies because EVERYONE is using the internet these days. But also a significant portion of their customers don't even think about looking at the rules online or in print before buying kits! *honks nose like a car horn*

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

GW should release major online updates to old codexes like other companies because EVERYONE is using the internet these days. But also a significant portion of their customers don't even think about looking at the rules online or in print before buying kits! *honks nose like a car horn*

Uh, what? The fact that some low-information players won't look at internet updates anyway has no bearing on whether or not making rules updates available is a good practice.*

Also, in general (not just ghetto wormhole) is there an actual competing hypothesis for why they'd keep the full codex under wraps for an additional week after putting out the models? Is there only one caravan's worth of camels for them to send the packages out on and they have to make a round trip and reload?

*edit: okay, I won't say it has zero bearing, obviously it is less of a windmill slam for the company if 50% of your customers check for updates vs. 100%, but this does not actually change the calculus from "make rules materials available" to "not" unless you are a lovely corporation of bean counters and oh wait :lol:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 9, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JerryLee posted:

Also, in general (not just ghetto wormhole) is there an actual competing hypothesis for why they'd keep the full codex under wraps for an additional week after putting out the models? Is there only one caravan's worth of camels for them to send the packages out on and they have to make a round trip and reload?

Because they get to send you twice or three times as many emails this way. It triples the amount of news they have.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

JerryLee posted:

Uh, what? The fact that some low-information players won't look at internet updates anyway has no bearing on whether or not making rules updates available is a good practice.

You could always spin it "We want to give war-gamers enough time to get their fantastic new units assembled so they can play fun and competitive games the day the codex hits their local store!".

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Fix posted:

Because they get to send you twice or three times as many emails this way. It triples the amount of news they have.

Not a bad answer. Here's a follow-up question: why not then release the codex first and let the customers spend a week or two getting hype for the new plastic (perhaps pre-ordering it)?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JerryLee posted:

Not a bad answer. Here's a follow-up question: why not then release the codex first and let the customers spend a week or two getting hype for the new plastic (perhaps pre-ordering it)?

Because they'd rather you buy plastic during the hype before you buy the codex and realize you hate it or just hear reviews that it's bad.

Once you own new units you're invested and more likely to think better of the book anyway out of confirmation bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

JerryLee posted:

Because they want foot traffic into their stores on a more regular basis. If they dropped the Codex first, then drip drabbed out the kits, there's less of a chance of this happening. Instead, they want you to go to the store at least once a week, check out the kit, see the preview of the rules in White Dwarf, and walk out with both. And a $100 terrain box just because.

• Locked thread