Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's really not how it works though. When you play split screen 2 or 4 "screens" are drawn. The reasoning for not having the gamepad be able to display it's users screen probably has more to do with fairness than graphical capability.

How would a Wii U pad user have an advantage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Oh yeah I'm Australian so can't buy from Amazon. All 3 games seem to be about the same price here although TW101 seems to have disappeared from shelves.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

matrix ripoff posted:

Can peek others' screens while keeping their own screen out of view.

edit: :pcgaming: ASYMMETRIC GAMEPLAY :pcgaming:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

matrix ripoff posted:

Because the TV player can only see the TV, while the GamePad player can see both.

But rendering a full 720P image AND a 480P GamePad image is probably more of a strain than rendering 2 (720P/2) images, so that could be a factor

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe they'll drop a multiplayer gamepad patch with no warning in a year from now, just as they did with the Pikmin stylus patch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tecmo-Koei already announced a new Fatal Frame for Wii U, a franchise Nintendo seems to have some sort of stake or at least heavy interest in, so I can't imagine they'd be working on two horror games at once.

I didn't know about this, that's awesome. I've only played one of them (on the original XBOX) but it was probably the scariest game I've played. I've now got in my mind a remake of the scene from [rec] where the lights go out and they have to use the IR mode on the video camera to see, except blacking out the TV screen and having you move the game pad around the room to find things. God this game could be so good, and I'm already preemptively buying extra underwear.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Hmph, I'm not sure what usable information you could glean from watching the other player's screen. I mean, this ain't Goldeneye.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

matrix ripoff posted:

Hmph, I'm not sure what usable information you could glean from watching the other player's screen. I mean, this ain't Goldeneye.

I've successfully screen-peeked to attack a buddy coming up behind me without having to use the rearview button (and thus keeping my eyes on the road)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

matrix ripoff posted:

You can see someone drop a banana in a blind spot, you can prepare for an imminent lightning strike, you can see a blue shell from miles away, you can see someone barrelling towards you with three shells circling their kart...

edit: I should add that I'd happily accept this imbalance if I got the choice to give two players each a full screen (or a fifth player).

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 9, 2014

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I guess all that can give you an advantage.

You gotta be a huge baby to whine about screen-watching in a Mario Kart game, tho. :colbert:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Digital Jesus posted:

Dudes, gotta choose my free game. Wind Waker vs Pikmin vs Wonderful 101 (leaning this way).

I'm a Zelda fan but somehow haven't played WW.

Never played a Pikmin but like the idea of it.

I liked TW101 demo but couldn't find it in a store here and don't usually buy console games digitally.

Any suggestions? Are any of these particularly long and/or replayable?

I'm very confident that Wind Waker is longer than Pikmin, but I love 3 so much that I regularly pick it up and play the mission mode. Since I played it to 100% and also went for a no-death run, Pikmin's main campaign lasted me a little less than 20 hours. I've since spent an addition 30 or so hours playing the game. Wind Waker HD, on the other hand, took me a little less than 30 hours on Hero Mode. Is TW101 at least not a little cheaper on the eShop?

Also, I really would like to see an update to the Wii U's Activity Log.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

matrix ripoff posted:

You gotta be a huge baby to whine about screen-watching in a Mario Kart game, tho. :colbert:

You gotta be a huge baby to have to screenwatch in the first place. :smugbert:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

matrix ripoff posted:

I guess all that can give you an advantage.

To be fair, there is nothing that ticks me off more in that game than getting bolted when I'm holding onto a star, so yes, I will have my eyes constantly looking at the gamepad to see if anyone's got a lightning bolt, and yes, that's definitely not fair that I can have that information, and that really ain't screen-peekin'.

Man, I remember when my friends used to call it "screen-hacking."

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I wasn't even aware that the pad displayed that kind of info; I've been playing the game with only my Wii U pro controller.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

matrix ripoff posted:

I wasn't even aware that the pad displayed that kind of info; I've been playing the game with only my Wii U pro controller.

You can have the pad be a dedicated horn button, a mirror of the TV screen or the map view that shows you where everyone is on the track and also shows what items everyone has like on the DS titles.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Just finished setting up my refurbished Wii U. If anyone's thinking about getting a refurbished one mine was really nice, even the case was fine other than picking up my fingerprints as soon as I touched it (but that goes for anything piano black). Got 2 versions of the Spanish installation instructions but it's so easy to setup that didn't even matter.

The Game Pad is much lighter than I thought it would be - I actually thought I was missing a battery to put in it or something at first. This seems in good shape as well, no marks on the screen or anywhere else. Analog sticks move fine, and I like the solid feel of the D-pad and the buttons.

Also got a refurbished Wii Remote Plus with Nunchuck and again no visible damage or anything (remote came with a sleeve I don't plan on taking off, so it might be scuffed or scratched under that I suppose).

So far so good, going to try to put in Mario Kart 8 and get Pikmin 3 for free.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What's the best controller for Pikmin? I've been having a little trouble aiming throws with the gamepad

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Austrian mook posted:

What's the best controller for Pikmin? I've been having a little trouble aiming throws with the gamepad

I found the Wiimote+ and Nunchuck to be perfect.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Plus you can leave the Wii U Gamepad in its cradle and use it as a minimap.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

Are you using the touch screen controls?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Based on the constant good feedback of refurb units, I'm guessing they all get recased before they're sold.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

EL BROMANCE posted:

Based on the constant good feedback of refurb units, I'm guessing they all get recased before they're sold.

I just got mine an hour ago. The case looked pristine.

Also, what the gently caress is up with this long rear end update. Jesus.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Anyone know how long this sale is going to last? This game has been on my to-buy list since before I owned a Wii U but I won't have any :10bux: until Friday.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Howdy, folks. Read the OP but I'm still an idiot so hoping to get some confirmation here.

Looking at buying a Wii U, but mostly for the Virtual Console games on the Wii. There's enough Wii-U specific games I don't want to just get the old system, though.

1.) If I buy a WiiU, can I still make purchases from the Wii VC? I'd want to play Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Last Blade 2, etc., and it doesn't look like those are on the WiiU VC yet
2.) Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, I'd still need to buy a couple of Wii controllers to play those games anyway though, right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

FairGame posted:

Howdy, folks. Read the OP but I'm still an idiot so hoping to get some confirmation here.

Looking at buying a Wii U, but mostly for the Virtual Console games on the Wii. There's enough Wii-U specific games I don't want to just get the old system, though.

1.) If I buy a WiiU, can I still make purchases from the Wii VC? I'd want to play Ogre Battle, Ogre Battle 64, Last Blade 2, etc., and it doesn't look like those are on the WiiU VC yet
2.) Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, I'd still need to buy a couple of Wii controllers to play those games anyway though, right?

Yes and yes.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

FairGame posted:

Yes and yes. Depending on the game controller set ups can vary but you'll want a Wiimote and a classic controller for most VC games.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait, is that why the Wii U eShop is so empty? I have to access the shop while within Wii mode or whatever? Are you loving joking?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Wii Classic Controller (Pro) is a really good buy at the moment. It can play most controller based Wii games, all Wii VC games, all WiiU VC games, and some WiiU games choose to support it too. If you like playing retro that is absolutely the one to go for.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/09/capcom-bringing-mega-man-zero-games-nintendos-virtual-console/

Well, it being empty isn't Capcom's fault, at least.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
No, if you want to access the Wii shop you still can, but must do that through the Wii mode. Yeah, there is a ton of stuff that needs to be placed on the WiiU eShop for a variety of reasons (save states, easier access, a larger library to pick from) but the games that have been available to the Wii are still there and can be played.

It's nice to have access to Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG but it would be extra nice if I could access and play them with the added benefits of the WiiU emulators. Hopefully more people get to work, Capcom is adding a lot of stuff and now Square-Enix and Nintendo need to step up their game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Austrian mook posted:

Remote & nunchuck with the pad map is the best by far. It really feels like that was what it was designed for with all the other schemes added for funzies.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hope this is a sign of a VC overhaul. More games released more often?

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Quick question about the free game with Mario Kart 8 promotion. I already have a physical copy of NSMBU but if I was to get a download version and give away my old copy to someone else - would my save data be intact?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Balcony posted:

Quick question about the free game with Mario Kart 8 promotion. I already have a physical copy of NSMBU but if I was to get a download version and give away my old copy to someone else - would my save data be intact?

Should be. Save data is stored on the console, not on the game disc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Silver Falcon posted:

Should be. Save data is stored on the console, not on the game disc.

I think the only exception to this is game that are sold as DLC and actual games? Luigi U is the one that comes to mind.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Balcony posted:

You could also give them the download version and keep your physical copy.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

If anyone is interested in E3 previews, nintendo dumped about 20 trailers on it's youtube page a few hours ago.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

numerrik posted:

If anyone is interested in E3 previews, nintendo dumped about 20 trailers on it's youtube page a few hours ago.
Those are all for indie games though as far as I can tell, aren't they? I'm sure they're holding back their big reveals for when they actually want to make them during the direct/"digital event."

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
When is nintendos big e3 thing and where can I find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

davey4283 posted:

When is nintendos big e3 thing and where can I find it?

Tomorrow at 12 EDT, I believe. I used http://twitch.tv/twitch to watch today's stuff.

• Locked thread