Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cliff Racer posted:

The mighty allied blimp force.
AKA 'gently caress you ANZAC/USA'

Cross posting from the other politoon thread:

Also a not-great cartoon but for different reasons at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm, well that cartoon is from Canada so I guess they have a little bit of me tooism going on. For some totally odd reason I actually used to go through MacKay's cartoons every once in awhile just to see what was up. I don't know if it was the "man Hamilton sure is awful" aspect of it or his relatively unbiased portrayal of Canadian politics (at least for Liberals and Tories, he hated the NDP IIRC) that got me. Either way not exactly UK relevant.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost
I don't really see the me-tooism in that one. It looks like he found a list of countries who's troops suffered casualties on D-Day and then listed them alphabetically rather than by perceived importance. Seems pretty neutral to me...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cliff Racer posted:

Hmm, well that cartoon is from Canada so I guess they have a little bit of me tooism going on. For some totally odd reason I actually used to go through MacKay's cartoons every once in awhile just to see what was up. I don't know if it was the "man Hamilton sure is awful" aspect of it or his relatively unbiased portrayal of Canadian politics (at least for Liberals and Tories, he hated the NDP IIRC) that got me. Either way not exactly UK relevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_beach

t:mad:>

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Syria doesn't operate Eurofighter Typhoons, and the Typhoon doesn't have a bomb bay. :colbert:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I will never criticize a person for not giving a gently caress about military hardware.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hazza posted:

Syria doesn't operate Eurofighter Typhoons, and the Typhoon doesn't have a bomb bay. :colbert:

What do they drop their finned ballot boxes out of?

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Mr. Squishy posted:

I will never criticize a person for not giving a gently caress about military hardware.

Yes, exactly. As soon as you pop on your glasses and say 'well I don't think the AR3084 model X has such an elongated tailfin' you lose any interest to anyone ever.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on D-day and the European Union - As D-day commemorations remind us of the conflict for Europe during the second world war, there is a new political struggle that might shape the continent's future"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Scottish independence: Barack Obama backs 'strong and united' UK; After Landseer.

Times:

Lib Dems blame tactical voting for sixth place in Newark

Stephen Collins:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yesterday's Observer:

"March of the zombies - Chris Riddell on David Cameron's leadership challenges"

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Theresa May and Michael Gove – Michael Gove and Theresa May have been dealt with by prime minister David Cameron over their public spat over alleged extremism in schools in Birmingham"

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

D-Day: Hove veteran disappears for Normandy trip

Telegraph:

Yesterday's Independent on Sunday:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

The Football World Cup approaches.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

What is the man in the flat cap feeling? What is his emotion?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
He's happy because he's got his ticket for the BIG GAME. Except this time it's football.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Mr. Squishy posted:

What is the man in the flat cap feeling? What is his emotion?

"Cor, look at that bird in that England shirt :heysexy:"

e: "Cor, look at that England shirt on that bird :heysexy:"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

His pen scratched a little as he was drawing the guys far eye and now it looks like it's pointing in the complete opposite direction.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Is there any explanation to why this isn't the worst label ever? I'm afraid I might be missing some context.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Wooper posted:

Is there any explanation to why this isn't the worst label ever? I'm afraid I might be missing some context.

According to this article,
"In March, an anonymous letter was made public which claimed to be a template illustrating how state schools could be taken over and pushed into adopting a more Islamic culture.

The document - now thought to be a hoax - proposed a campaign of installing governors and undermining and then replacing school leaders with staff who would be more sympathetic to their religious agenda.
The letter - which has not been authenticated and which could be a provocative hoax - refers to "Operation Trojan Horse" as the name of the alleged conspiracy. This classical allusion refers to using a device to get past the defences and to take over the school system from within."
-----

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Michael Gove and Ofsted - Michael Gove, the education secretary, has seized on a finding by Ofsted that a 'culture of fear and intimidation' existed in some Birmingham schools"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Is this based on a headline or just Thomas's constant narrative?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That's the most lazily drawn globe I've ever seen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is this based on a headline or just Thomas's constant narrative?

It's based on a headline in the xenophobic rag that publishes his cartoons, yeah

Have last week's selection!

Congratulations, you've now seen every topic the Express puts on its front page. They used to put Princess Diana on there too, but she's been replaced by Are Maddy

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

baka kaba posted:

It's based on a headline in the xenophobic rag that publishes his cartoons, yeah

Have last week's selection!

Congratulations, you've now seen every topic the Express puts on its front page. They used to put Princess Diana on there too, but she's been replaced by Are Maddy

*ahem*

etc

E: Also constant royalty (Diana still lives, there was a blow up about her last year), leave the EU, EXPRESS CAMPAIGNS, Liebore, gently caress the BBC, bloody gippos, CANCER

Lest we forget, IMMIGRANTS give you CANCER

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 10, 2014

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Cloud Potato posted:

The letter - which has not been authenticated and which could be a provocative hoax - refers to "Operation Trojan Horse" as the name of the alleged conspiracy. This classical allusion refers to using a device to get past the defences and to take over the school system from within."

Isn't the whole point of giving these things codenames is allow them to be discussed without drawing attention to what they actually are? It's like calling an assassination Operation Kill The Prime Minister.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Whybird posted:

Isn't the whole point of giving these things codenames is allow them to be discussed without drawing attention to what they actually are? It's like calling an assassination Operation Kill The Prime Minister.

This wasn't a secret op, it's just the name given so people can reference it easy, like operation Yewtree.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

My bad, how could I forget the news NEWS NEWS about house prices! And that Scottish independence angle is something else

The worst thing is this poo poo is all aimed at old people. It's like you arrive at your grandparents' house and discover they've let in some wild-eyed right-wing shithead, who's in the process of manipulating them with fear and lies. Thomas is a part of that, his cheery "reminds me of my grandchildren's drawings" scribbling is another, friendlier vehicle for the same reactionary right-wing bollocks

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

baka kaba posted:

And that Scottish independence angle is something else

It's scottish independence??? How the gently caress is that going to stop cancer research?

I saw that as EU independence, and was a bit gobsmacked coming from the Express, it makes sense now

Being SCOTTISH gives you CANCER

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Betjeman posted:

It's scottish independence??? How the gently caress is that going to stop cancer research?

I think the idea is probably that researchers at Scottish universities will no longer be able to apply for grants with the British research councils.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Looks like it's part of the BE'A T'GEVA campaign

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/278312-sir-paul-nurse-says-cancer-research-could-be-harmed-by-yes-vote/

quote:

Sir Paul Nurse, who jointly won the award in 2001, said the "wonderfully-innovative biomedical teams" working in Scotland rely on funds from UK organisations which may not support them in the event of a Yes vote.

The scientist also heads the £650 million Francis Crick Institute which supports 1,400 researchers and he has been invited to Scotland to talk about research funding next month by former Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

Sir Paul said: "It is by co-operating together that we achieve far more than we can ever achieve on our own.

"Scotland, with wonderfully-innovative biomedical teams engaged in path-breaking research, relies on money that comes from UK organisations such as the Medical Research Council, the Wellcome Trust and Cancer Research UK.

"My fear is that it will be difficult to justify using their money for research in an independent Scotland.

"This will be a major problem for Scotland and with progress in biomedical research, including the treatment of diseases such as cancer."

and later

quote:

The pro-independence group, Academics for Yes, pointed to collaborations across the Irish border.

"Several bilateral arrangements exist between the UK and the Republic of Ireland," a spokesman said.

"These include joint funding arrangements between the UK Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences, the merging of the postgraduate research councils of the Republic and Northern Ireland, and an agreement giving the universities of Ulster and Queen's University Belfast access to the Republic's scientific research funding scheme.

"Why would an independent Scotland be treated differently?"

There's also a stat in there

quote:

Mr Brown welcomed the scientist's comments on the independence debate and pointed to figures which he said show Scotland attracts a higher portion of funding per head of population than the rest of the UK, with £12.40 per head in 2011 against a UK average of £8.25.

which, I dunno, seems to point to Scotland as a worthwhile place to get research done, so it's not exactly pity funding that will be revoked or anything.

Of course if you google Paul Nurse and look at the right-wing headlines, they've all changed his very careful 'could, maybe' wording to THIS WILL HAPPEN

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Michael Gove and 'British values' - Education secretary at odds with Ofsted over the 'Trojan horse' investigation into alleged Islamist extremism in schools"

Telegraph:

Angela Merkel still backing Juncker for EU top job

Independent:

Times:

Obituary: Rik Mayall

Express:

Free hugs! A cuddle could help you stay young; Mick Jagger holed up with mystery woman in hotel just 11 weeks after L'Wren Scott death

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Why is ARE PRINCESS KATE attacking that Koschei on the news?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Although this is the most horrifying tribute to Rik Mayall yet (he should be either Jeremy CHunt as PRick or IDS as B'Stard), Clegg as Neil is bang on.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron and water cannon – David Cameron has backed London mayor Boris Johnson's decision to buy three water cannon for London" After Cruikshank.

Telegraph:

Scottish independence: JK Rowling donates £1m to pro-UK group

Independent:

Times:

Iraq crisis: Islamists force 500,000 to flee Mosul

Express:

UK unemployment total falls to 2.16m

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Bush and Blair's legacy in the Middle East – Large areas of Iraq have been taken this week by jihadist groups"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Fees cut as part of emergency passport backlog measures

Express:

World Cup 2014 kicks off with colourful ceremony

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If he'd spent a bit more he could have had one of those newfangled "wide screened" TVs like all the poors get!

What's that Independent one about? It's not just 'lol Theresa May has bags under her eyes also passports' is it?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

baka kaba posted:

If he'd spent a bit more he could have had one of those newfangled "wide screened" TVs like all the poors get!

What's that Independent one about? It's not just 'lol Theresa May has bags under her eyes also passports' is it?

something something "I'M MELTING! MELTING!"

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

baka kaba posted:

unless there's some hidden symbolism behind her having a big old dog cock for a nose, I think it's a "shes old look at her bags under the eyes old ick what an old bint eh?".

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the triumphs of the modern world – As the World Cup kicks off in Brazil, riots are kicking off in Brazil's streets and jihadists have taken over parts of Iraq"

Independent:

After JMW Turner.

Times:

After Baghdad.

Stephen Collins:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sometimes it feels like the Observer hired Stephen Collins to troll their own readership...

I wonder if Rowson ever does prints? It feels like a shame that his work is so temporary, and stuff like that two-panel contrasting colours deal seems made for display

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Sometimes it feels like the Observer hired Stephen Collins to troll their own readership...

I wonder if Rowson ever does prints? It feels like a shame that his work is so temporary, and stuff like that two-panel contrasting colours deal seems made for display

I sometimes get the impression the guardian and the observer secretly hate their readership, like they're stuck in this niche that turns out not even to be profitable so they publish a Kelvin McKenzie editorial on how Murdoch is the savour of the British Media or whatever just to spite them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

No, he's just so terribly middle class and milquetoast that it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Obama's Iraq legacy - Chris Riddell on America's limited options in Iraq"

Independent on Sunday:

• Locked thread