Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Girlfriend's player is an A potential and mine is a C. It's frustrating seeing how few points it takes her to upgrade power and speed. Our players are basically the exact same in production too. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

Girlfriend's player is an A potential and mine is a C. It's frustrating seeing how few points it takes her to upgrade power and speed. Our players are basically the exact same in production too. :smith:

If I had to guess (I only have one player in RTTA), the difference is somewhat random, but also based on player comparison for your organization at that position.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

If I had to guess (I only have one player in RTTA), the difference is somewhat random, but also based on player comparison for your organization at that position.

In RttS, potential is based on how well you do in the rookie showcase. Everyone starts as a C potential and your performance each game will raise or lower it. If do well in 2 out of 3 games it will be a B, if you do well in all 3 it will be an A, if you do well in 1 or 2 and bad in the other 1 or 2 it will stay a C as well as if you just maintain your position, and if you just stink it up it will be a D. However, if you keep performing well in your career it can go up.

I made a catcher who ended up going 0 for 14 in the rookie showcase and ended up with a D potential. Got drafted in the last round, but is hitting .400 so overall it doesn't mean much. On the other hand, my best player was LF with an A potential who was drafted first overall by the Astros and got called up halfway through April. Just as desperate as in real life.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

My Catcher is .470, slugging 1.014 and hit 16 home runs in 100 at bats, he's on some of the craziest steroids imaginable.

Still no callup from AA even though he's a higher ranking than the MLB starter Yan Gomes.

Ostentatious fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 6, 2014

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
My RTTS guy started off with a B potential but it went up to A after I was crushing minor league pitching. It still takes ridiculous amounts of points to level up contact and power now that I've got them in the 70s.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr Geek posted:

My RTTS guy started off with a B potential but it went up to A after I was crushing minor league pitching. It still takes ridiculous amounts of points to level up contact and power now that I've got them in the 70s.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned it's cool just to keep batting difficulty at rookie or veteran and not worry about it too much because power gets insanely expensive in the high 60s. Sometimes I have to play 2 or 3 games to level up power/contact and still have a few points left over.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jackofarcades posted:

Try out the timing hitting just to get it at first, then mess around with zone later. It kind of depends on how good your aiming / reflexes are. Mine suck.

Man, all you guys who have trouble with sliders, I can't hit a loving changeup. I'm always a foot out in front of it.

If you're facing a pitcher with a good changeup just guess pitch changeup every single time and react to the fastball.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My secret to hitting/gauging offspeed stuff is I kind of treat hitting like a magic eye puzzle.

If I unfocus my eyes a bit it seems like my brain can better gauge break and determine balls/strikes, rather than focusing on the ball and following it.

It took some getting used to, but I can at least take a couple walks a game now, which was maybe a yearly total previously.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

rabidsquid posted:

If you're facing a pitcher with a good changeup just guess pitch changeup every single time and react to the fastball.

Honestly think part of the problem was I lowered pitch speed because I'm a scrub, so know the slow pitches take forever.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

IMB posted:

Anyone else have the bug (I guess it's a bug) where if you play two or more RTTS games in a row (as a pitcher) suddenly your catcher will stop giving you a location for your pitches?

Anyone? Anyone?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

IMB posted:

Anyone? Anyone?

Sometimes my catcher stops calling pitches, I never really paid attention to when or why, but you do know you can have him call the location again by hitting r2 right? Or does it not even show the catcher call when you do that? If that's the case then no.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

IMB posted:

Anyone? Anyone?

I'm pitching on dynamic difficulty and it stopped giving me that info long ago, but I figured that was a normal part of the dynamic thing as I got better.

I can still watch him for the hand sign of which pitch, either way. And like rabidsquid says, hitting R2 should put up the mitt icon for placement and highlight the pitch type.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

IMB posted:

Anyone? Anyone?

Are you playing with dynamic difficulty, or adjusting the difficulty? It is only supposed to show up on Veteran and below, and RttS adjusts your difficulty based on which level you are playing at. So if you pick All Star in the options, AA will be at Veteran, AAA at All Star, and MLB at Hall of Fame.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
I think you guys are thinking of something else. What happens to me is I'll play one game (I play on veteran because I suck) and everything will work fine. Game ends and I hit "sim until next appearance." Five games go by and it's my turn to pitch again. Suddenly, my catcher will call a pitch, but won't offer a location. R2 only makes him recall the pitch, not the location. I'll finish this game, save and exit. Load it back up, and in my next start, the catcher is giving me a location again.

Also, protip. If you are doing RTTS, and you get drafted by the Twins. Start over. Start of my third year and my roster is worse than most AAA rosters. Trevor Plouffe (72) and Brian Dozier (78) are the only hitters on the entire MLB roster with a rating higher than 70. Sano has been riding the bench for two years and hasn't improved from a 69, despite being an A potential. The GM sent Pinto (74) to AAA, so 56-year-old AJ Pierzynski (50 overall. Seriously) can start at catcher. My trade demands fall on deaf ears. I led the league in ERA (1.92) WHIP (0.98) and strikeouts (238) last year and didn't finish in the top three for the CY Young, because I went just 14-6.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's some loading screen tip that says that the "API/Default" setting for pitching is the one that toggles that. Maybe. As in, API means it's always on and Default means it varies. Maybe. ???

I had noticed that by the time I got to the show, my catcher quit telling me where to throw so I was kind of wondering what the situation was too, but I've adapted and never listened to him anyway so I didn't bother changing it.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

RTTS, what are you doing

I got a loss because of this. We lost 1-0.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 8, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My GM hates me. Nine game hitting streak? Rest, pinch hit in 9th with a three run deficit and closer on the mound. That exact scenario just happened for the third time in what amounts to less than one year of MLB experience. You sit 20 year old players when they're on a hot streak, right? He also pith hit for me when I only needed a double for the cycle. :psyduck:

SilvergunSuperman posted:

My secret to hitting/gauging offspeed stuff is I kind of treat hitting like a magic eye puzzle.

If I unfocus my eyes a bit it seems like my brain can better gauge break and determine balls/strikes, rather than focusing on the ball and following it.

It took some getting used to, but I can at least take a couple walks a game now, which was maybe a yearly total previously.

Yeah, this is what I do on veteran.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

RTTS, what are you doing

I got a loss because of this. We lost 1-0.

I'm trying to figure a scenario besides him falling down on the way home but ????????

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Does the baseline extend vertically too? Maybe the ground opened up and he fell into the earth.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I just lost a perfect game when my no-name AA level shortstop airmailed a routine 6-3 into the 53rd row of Marlins Park.

Thanks, Loria.

(I fanned the next guy on 3 straight for the No-Hitter)

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
Gave up a home run on a golfed curveball with two outs in the third, then set them down in order until this happened with two outs in the 9th. Not how you want to lose a CG one-hitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNOoucNyBw

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IMB posted:

Gave up a home run on a golfed curveball with two outs in the third, then set them down in order until this happened with two outs in the 9th. Not how you want to lose a CG one-hitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNOoucNyBw

At least they tried and didn't just pull up.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
It's not like I had a no-hitter or even a shutout going at that point. Just field the ball and hold him to a single for christs sake.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

I just lost a perfect game when my no-name AA level shortstop airmailed a routine 6-3 into the 53rd row of Marlins Park.

Thanks, Loria.

(I fanned the next guy on 3 straight for the No-Hitter)

Oh man, that's brutal.

AA fielding is just horrifying, the worst is when they casually jog over to nab a fly ball and miss it by 3 feet.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Another thing that's brutal in AA are pickoff throws. 25% get thrown into the stands or center field and 25% of them result in pickoffs. As you get promoted the throws become accurate, but everybody still gets picked off. I've played 3 full seasons at RTTS 3B and never had to cover 3rd on a steal, anyone ever seen one?

Game also needs more bunting with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs with Miguel Cabrera up.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
I completely stopped doing pickoff attempts at any level because of the unrealistically high probability it will end up in the stands. If I see a guy take an extra step, I just step off the mound and hope he doesn't do it again. If he keeps getting an extra lead I make sure to not throw off-speed. I'm seeing a lot of bad pickoffs even in the majors. Also I pretty much gave up on getting an extra lead at first since it's very likely I'll get picked off.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Oh Adaira posted:

I completely stopped doing pickoff attempts at any level because of the unrealistically high probability it will end up in the stands. If I see a guy take an extra step, I just step off the mound and hope he doesn't do it again. If he keeps getting an extra lead I make sure to not throw off-speed. I'm seeing a lot of bad pickoffs even in the majors. Also I pretty much gave up on getting an extra lead at first since it's very likely I'll get picked off.

Are you always doing the fast pickoffs? Try the slow ones, they don't seem to airmail as much.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I play pretty much online rated all the time and was wondering if anyone has problems with RISP. Pretty much anytime I hit a single with a guy on 2nd, he gets thrown out at home. Unless he is in the 90's with speed.

I feel like outfielders are simply too good, and can routinely make catches with their back to the baseball running full speed at the wall. Some of it may be the atrocious netcode that makes it so whatever your seeing in the field not actually be whats going on (which makes baserunning a guessing game since you have no idea where the ball is). But it often feels like the outfield plays too small. I had this problem in previous versions, but there are no sliders to adjust in my online games.

I have grown to despise quick-counts though, as it ruins the human battle of pitching that makes online actually fun. Also, my last game I recorded a string of 11/12 batters in a row where I entered in with 2 strikes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Outfielders make ridiculous catches, players are always slow coming off of 2nd for some reason, and plays at the plate go in catcher's favors too often. All of these things are in the game and you just need to play around it. I don't try to score from 2nd unless I have high confidence he'll get home or there it's 2 outs and 3-2 so he took off on the pitch.

The Netcode is also pretty bad, but I have had the same problems offline.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing there's something weird with the outfield dimensions. Just basing that on them having to mess with 1st basemen to prevent people from getting thrown out constantly on hits to right. I also hardly see any bloop singles between the IF and OF. It could be outfielders speed that's an issue too I guess, but there's definitely something off about the OF.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby

gleep gloop posted:

Are you always doing the fast pickoffs? Try the slow ones, they don't seem to airmail as much.

I didn't know there was more than one way. I'll check the controls and see which one I've been doing later. Thanks!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Oh Adaira posted:

I didn't know there was more than one way. I'll check the controls and see which one I've been doing later. Thanks!

Holding the button, tapping it, and tapping it fast are different. Hold is deceptive, tap once for routine, multi tap for fast.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
The in-game controls guide says tap once is the quick move and double tap is the casual move. That seems backwards, but would explain why so many of my pickoff attempts go awry since I just tap once. :shrug:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Anybody else getting a bug in RTTS where a pitcher will change on you with no notice? Pitch counts are correct and all but you're facing a different starter than the original with no mention of the change in the game log.

I went from facing an overhand to a sidearmer BACK to the overhand pitcher.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I've always felt like sports games were "pre-destined" and now I feel like I have proof of it in the show.

So I'm playing my RTTS character and I'm pitching vs the Braves. First pitch and Upton gets on base with a single between first and second. Two batters later Freeman crushes one to left. I get pissed and reset the game only to have it happen again...and again...and again. That's right, four times with the EXACT same hit, location, and outcome. So I can't play anymore because I think I broke my controller.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Bean Freeman. Problem solved.

Really though that's weird.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

God drat I love playing this game online. Nothing like wearing down the opponents ace, biding your time and then immediately lighting up their relievers for 5 runs to take the lead.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That really is crazy, can't say I've had anything pre-ordained like that before.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Bean Freeman. Problem solved.

Lol, I'd have been there by the 3rd time I think.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

I bean people liberally in baseball games. Especially if it's 2 outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Jeter gets an auto plunk if I can afford it, makes the other dude get a lil huffy sometimes.

• Locked thread