Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

repl is a sign of bad language which is why java doesn't have one.
actually there are several repls for java. which is good, because they're useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Soricidus posted:

actually there are several repls for java. which is good, because they're useful.

repls own, esp when u can set a breakpoint and drop down into one for debugging, then have the editor splice in the code fix :)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

no they aren't

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

matlab is used predominantly as a repl. matlab is the worst thing there is. awfulness is directly correlated with replness.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

i should probably ask my company to buy me an intellij licence but holy gently caress they're expensive

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
rule 36 corporations are people too

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Shaggar posted:

no they aren't

sry shags u r wrong here.

msft release teh roslyn powered C# repl

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Shaggar posted:

there no such thing as natural talent
there def is. its a spectrum though, not a binary thing, and its nowhere near as common as ppl who've just worked rlly hard

but sometimes you run into someone who's really talented *and* has worked really hard and woah

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

there def is. its a spectrum though, not a binary thing, and its nowhere near as common as ppl who've just worked rlly hard

but sometimes you run into someone who's really talented *and* has worked really hard and woah

you might say its on a spectrum

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

you might say its on a spectrum
like ... a sinclair spectrum :xd:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i guess it's almost a tautology but i think everybody can be at least mediocre at anything

except for me when it comes to posting

but i mean when i went to school parents were told poo poo like "oh don't worry if your child isn't doing so well at mathematics, he probably just doesn't have a talent for it" :psypop:

motherfucker if somebody is considering doing a mathematics phd and isn't getting anywhere then maybe that's the time to perhaps begin to talk about their innate talent (or deficiency thereof)

not loving high school

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr Dog posted:

i guess it's almost a tautology but i think everybody can be at least mediocre at anything

except for me when it comes to posting

but i mean when i went to school parents were told poo poo like "oh don't worry if your child isn't doing so well at mathematics, he probably just doesn't have a talent for it" :psypop:

motherfucker if somebody is considering doing a mathematics phd and isn't getting anywhere then maybe that's the time to perhaps begin to talk about their innate talent (or deficiency thereof)

not loving high school

hate to break it to you but the people who succeed at phds aren't the ones who are math geniuses but instead the ones who are at least good but more importantly can sort their poo poo out

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
really? and here i was thinking the only requirement was weapons-grade autism

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

so is pair programming anything other than "we're too cheap to hire good programmers so we'll hire two mediocre ones and hope they'll succeed or at least dilute the blame"?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

sry shags u r wrong here.

msft release teh roslyn powered C# repl

python is bad. you can tell because it has a repl.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
repls own bones. java owns bones.

two great tastes that taste great together

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I cannot fathom a reason for a repl in java aside from irrelevant math major garbage.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

I cannot fathom a reason for a repl in java aside from irrelevant math major garbage.

you can only really understand how great a repl is in hindsight. it's a thing you learn by doing. once java repls become widespread you'll join up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no I wont.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
do you guys debug w/ system.out.println or something?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

xarph posted:

so is pair programming anything other than "we're too cheap to hire good programmers so we'll hire two mediocre ones and hope they'll succeed or at least dilute the blame"?

I find fixing defects by proxy - I sit behind them and tell them what to type - is a super effective way to get someone up to speed on a new codebase or programming language

but it's also insanely tiring and certainly no way to actually develop code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

repls are a really lovely substitute for a good ide

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
repl is good for typing out codes and seeing them run really quickly

ide is good for testing out codes and stepping into them really quickly

is good

ees good

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Shaggar posted:

immediate window in debugger on steroids shags

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

qntm posted:

I find fixing defects by proxy - I sit behind them and tell them what to type - is a super effective way to get someone up to speed on a new codebase or programming language

but it's also insanely tiring and certainly no way to actually develop code

yeah, it's pretty great to get people up to speed on things/in sync with things, but as a way to actually get things done it sucks rear end. Basically it's good in 3 cases. You got a new guy coming in to help dev or maintain something you wrote, you got a junior guy who is fixing bugs with something they wrote, or you got 2 people starting a new thing and need to agree on the general architecture.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do people who dislike repls also dislike interactive consoles in debuggers? is it just value inspection and reading stack traces for them?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Oh man interaction sucks so much! I long for the days of punched cards that I needed to mail to the computing department of the university to see if my program worked. Ain't seeing no reason to try to make that feedback loop as short as possible.

Also, unless you've seen one of these prodigy children that can apparently beat well-trained adults from the moment they started doing a thing at 4-5 years old, then whoever you meet who seems to just have raw natural talent probably just worked a lot at it. They might have had a predisposition or existing abilities acquired through different activities, but they had to get better and there's a 99.99% chance it wasn't through sitting on their rear end and playing videogames until their natural abilities bloomed on their own.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i know writing queries can get a bit involved but is this really necessary??

i think people are treating dbs as a magic box a bit too much tbh

eh, it looks pretty much like sql server management studio which works with other dbs and with better autocomplete/intellisense (which wouldn't be hard).

nothing wrong with making queries less tiresome to write imo. anything that eases the mechanical tedium of writing SELECT * FROM a JOIN b ON etc ten times a day is nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FamDav posted:

repl is good for typing out codes and seeing them run really quickly

ide is good for testing out codes and stepping into them really quickly

is good

ees good

I cant think of any scenario where I'd want to "see code run quickly" that aren't toy problems (ex: math). Using the debugger is gonna be more useful in every possible way.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

I cant think of any scenario where I'd want to "see code run quickly" that aren't toy problems (ex: math). Using the debugger is gonna be more useful in every possible way.

that might also point to an issue with having a language so cumbersome that nothing useful can be done in it without heavy tool assistance, too.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Shaggar posted:

one of the things that's super-cool about .net properties is that you can inspect them with the debugger

being able to write your own properties on the fly for debugging is useful

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MononcQc posted:

Also, unless you've seen one of these prodigy children that can apparently beat well-trained adults from the moment they started doing a thing at 4-5 years old, then whoever you meet who seems to just have raw natural talent probably just worked a lot at it. They might have had a predisposition or existing abilities acquired through different activities, but they had to get better and there's a 99.99% chance it wasn't through sitting on their rear end and playing videogames until their natural abilities bloomed on their own.

i have a massive amount of natural talent for most sports in that i am much taller than average and left-handed

i did not use that natural talent at all

but that is natural talent :biotruths:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

that might also point to an issue with having a language so cumbersome that nothing useful can be done in it without heavy tool assistance, too.

i don't get what "useful" stuff you're talking about that requires a repl. math homework doesn't count.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

GrumpyDoctor posted:

one of the things that's super-cool about .net properties is that you can inspect them with the debugger

being able to write your own properties on the fly for debugging is useful

it ticks me off you cant edit code while running in vs like you can in eclipse.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i don't get what "useful" stuff you're talking about that requires a repl. math homework doesn't count.

well, when you don't have decipherable signatures it lets you mess around until you figure things out

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

It doesn't require a REPL, but it's possible to do it there and even in production if you have a system that supports it.

I can use the REPL to go poll the active connections open across an entire cluster in a couple of lines, and then find which customer is actively pegging all my bandwidth without having required to write any specific code before-hand.

I can use it in dev to manually kill or suspend parts of the system to simulate failure scenarios and what impact they may have later in a live environment. If I see that stuff appears to work fine, I'm free to transform it in a test case of some sort.

It lets you try minor stuff, explore around, try ideas before you get to write the more permanent stuff in a file.

It can be useful across the entire development cycle depending on the type of stuff you work on, without preventing the use of a debugger altogether.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

database janitoring

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

python is bad. you can tell because it has a repl.

python doesn't have a repl. it has an interactive shell :spergin:

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

MononcQc posted:

heavy tool assistance

please dont post my underlings' job description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj: