Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
You can just Dremel the old chain off, or hack it to pieces any way that's convenient. If the replacement chain is the rivet kind you'll want the proper tool for that.

I watched a friend replace his chain a couple weeks ago and it seemed very straightforward, simple, and quick, but he sure got angry and swore a lot anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

brotastrophe posted:

Is it safe to assume that if a chain has a missing o-ring and some that looked damaged it should probably be replaced? If so, is it easy to do myself? Looks like you just would need a chain breaker tool

Chains are pretty easy to do. A dremel to cut off the head of a rivet, a chain breaker/riveter tool, and half an hour of your time. Be sure to check your sprocket wear while you're at it. Those are super easy to replace while you're at it, though having a pneumatic impact wrench made the front sprocket pop right off rather than loving around standing on the rear brake trying to torque the nut off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Depending on the bike it may not even have a gigantic nut holding the front sprocket on, sometimes it's a few small bolts.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Alright, sprockets don't look worn down so I'll give the chain a shot and see how it goes!

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
What stands do I want if I don't want to pay pit bull money?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

brotastrophe posted:

Is it safe to assume that if a chain has a missing o-ring and some that looked damaged it should probably be replaced? If so, is it easy to do myself? Looks like you just would need a chain breaker tool

Hacksaw, elbow grease, 5 minutes, and something to protect your swingarm works too. But unless you're using a clip-on masterlink you're going to need something to rivet the new chain together.

tjones
May 13, 2005

astrollinthepork posted:

I bought a trackside stand at cycle gear close to a year ago and it has served me fine. I got a speed metal front stand later on last year for a gift and it seems really well made; also does the job fine enough.

Look on craigslist as you can sometimes find stands for cheap.

But I hear you, paying that much for some tubing and skateboard wheels is ridiculous.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

astrollinthepork posted:

They're not cheap but Abba stands aren't much more than a decent rear and front stand and are much easier to use and far more useful.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Does anyone have any experience with Royal Enfield's? I really like the look of the bike and their engine sizes are perfect for me but I am wary of the make.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Royal Enfield's? I really like the look of the bike and their engine sizes are perfect for me but I am wary of the make.

I have two, an older AVL and a newer fuel injected one. Run loving far away. For the same money you can get something that can actually cruise on the highway (no matter what they say, REs can't do it, don't believe them). Their build quality is absolute poo poo, and the owner of RE USA (Kevin Mahoney) personally yelled at me on their forum, and banned me, after I tried to make a warranty claim on my 2009 (in 2010, well within the two year unlimited mileage warranty).

Fly, you fool.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Geirskogul posted:

I have two, an older AVL and a newer fuel injected one. Run loving far away. For the same money you can get something that can actually cruise on the highway (no matter what they say, REs can't do it, don't believe them). Their build quality is absolute poo poo, and the owner of RE USA (Kevin Mahoney) personally yelled at me on their forum, and banned me, after I tried to make a warranty claim on my 2009 (in 2010, well within the two year unlimited mileage warranty).

Fly, you fool.

Did you save that conversation? I'd love to read it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How silly does a motorcycle look with front and back wheel in different rim colours? I need to replace both of my transalp rims thanks to the dreaded transalp wheel rot. But I can only source new gold fronts and new silver backs.

I'll keep the old wheels and someday rebuild them(or more likely sell the hubs/rotted wheel).

I can't find a single wheelmaker locally and missing out weeks of the short season we got here in Norway with sending them far away is out of the question. I'll rather buy new wheels, and get new tires on them ready to drop in when the tires on the rim rotted wheels need to be replaced.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Supradog posted:

How silly does a motorcycle look with front and back wheel in different rim colours? I need to replace both of my transalp rims thanks to the dreaded transalp wheel rot. But I can only source new gold fronts and new silver backs.

I'll keep the old wheels and someday rebuild them(or more likely sell the hubs/rotted wheel).

I can't find a single wheelmaker locally and missing out weeks of the short season we got here in Norway with sending them far away is out of the question. I'll rather buy new wheels, and get new tires on them ready to drop in when the tires on the rim rotted wheels need to be replaced.

It'll probably look fine, and you can always powder coat one of them to match once winter sets in. No point in taking your bike off the road just because the wheels don't match. That'd be like calling in sick because you can only find one blue sock and one black sock.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 10, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I know people that would actually try to use this excuse, but be serious about it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I bought a $25 rear stand off Amazon.co.jp and it works fine on my bike. Granted, only a 250 though.

Supradog posted:

Ouch, that sucks. I was originally going to go for a Transalp 400 until I had my XLR fall in my lap, glad I never had that happen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Chichevache posted:

Did you save that conversation? I'd love to read it.

It's on the official RE USA forum, under the same user name. I don't know if it's still there, but most of it was over PM, and I can't log into the banned account anymore

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Personally I don't care, I was thinking more of future resale value, but I'll just add "unique look" on the for sale add :)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Supradog posted:

How silly does a motorcycle look with front and back wheel in different rim colours?

Had to do a roadside replacement on a recent road trip. Guzzi's center stand lifts both wheels to make this easy... Getting the rim however... required a 200 mile errand by riding companions. Nobody was picky about color.

This is how it looks:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

Had to do a roadside replacement on a recent road trip. Guzzi's center stand lifts both wheels to make this easy... Getting the rim however... required a 200 mile errand by riding companions. Nobody was picky about color.

This is how it looks:

What the hell is that? A MGS-01 with riser bars and luggage?

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
It's a Norge with different colored rims. :black101:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/05/10/moto-guzzi-norge-gt-8v-riding-impression/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the goon Hivemind thought on the 2009 FZ1 (essentially 2006-current)? Good, bad, otherwise? My local dealership has one with 8k miles for a decent price. Thinking about it.

Does it have the same allegedly lafftastic suspension of the fz8?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the goon Hivemind thought on the 2009 FZ1 (essentially 2006-current)? Good, bad, otherwise? My local dealership has one with 8k miles for a decent price. Thinking about it.

If you cared, there seem to be quite a few of these in great shape on Craigslist's near me from private sellers. At least in Illinois this results in huge savings on sticker price and taxes.

I'm looking at the same bike, by the way. For whatever that's worth.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

LOL please get one so that you and I can both be the DRZ advocates along with the FZ1 advocates. I loving love mine. Coming from a DRZ it's got like 100 more horsepower and is just silly. It's a really nice step up. Handles well, has plenty of power, looks great with lots of mods available.

The only downside is it's a bit heavy and the suspension is decent but could use upgrades if you want to be a bit more serious. The pegs are pretty low so rear sets may be advised if you track it.

Other than that I can't complain. I've had to do some work on mine which has been slightly annoying (steering head bearings / clutch) but other than that it's been great. Whacking the throttle in second gear and feeling it lift up into a wheelie as long as you give it steady gas is a good feeling.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

astrollinthepork posted:

Check out T-Rex stands, they are cheaper and work well. I have one.

http://www.t-rex-racing.com

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dellikose posted:

Check out T-Rex stands, they are cheaper and work well. I have one.

http://www.t-rex-racing.com

I have a t-rex triple tree combo front stand and it holds up my bike quite well. I use it with a cheap harbor freight rear swingarm stand that isn't as confidence-inspiring as I'd like but my bike doesn't fall over even sitting for a day+.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Fly, you fool.

Thanks so much for this. I have a follow up question. I love the look of enfields. But I also just like the look of old cruisers, where it is a flat long seat into a flat gas tank.

I have an old KZ 550 that looks like this:

And I love the bike but it is a bit too much work for me currently (It needs A LOT of TLC and I have been very busy with work and other issues in my life that I don't have the time to work on it and I just want something to ride) so I am going to probably sell it but I don't know where to look. I want to buy a new-ish bike (2008+) but I feel like I can't find bikes that look like my old bike or Enfields anywhere else. I realize the look of a bike isn't the #1 thing, and at the end of the day the look will draw me in to it, but how it rides will determine if I want it or not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yamaha just put out the SR400 again, same "standard" style as the old cruisers. They rule, but they're probably not going to be easy to find for at least another year. I think these style bikes are making a comeback thanks to the popularity of cafe racers.

Also, Ducati announced a new Scrambler yesterday, super excited to see more of this bike

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2015-ducati-scrambler-confirmed/

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Yamaha just put out the SR400 again, same "standard" style as the old cruisers. They rule, but they're probably not going to be easy to find for at least another year. I think these style bikes are making a comeback thanks to the popularity of cafe racers.

Also, Ducati announced a new Scrambler yesterday, super excited to see more of this bike

Yeah I kinda like the look of the SR400, but I can already tell from the body shape I wouldn't like the new scrambler. My aesthetic tastes are super fickle. I have a lot of time though because I told myself I wouldn't get a new bike till I got my raise at work.

Thanks for posting this though, every bit helps inform my decisions.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
How about the Triumph retro bikes?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm actually really looking forward to this, the current generation of Monsters have become seriously bloated and overcomplicated. Plus it looks like it might have a legitimately round headlight instead of this modern droopy melted hornet nonsense :bahgawd:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

I just looked up the Moto Guzzi v7 stone, and I really like the look except for the cylindars that stick out of it (because its a v). I wish it were inline. Otherwise that bike is gorgeous.

edit: Is moto guzzi also a problematic make?

I am going to make a list of good and bad makes. I want it to be as comprehensive as possible for North America (USA specifically) so if you think I should move anything up or down or add anything please say. I will be using this when the time comes to buy a new bike, as I will catalog everything.

Good makes:
-Yamaha
-Kawasaki
-Honda
-Ducati
-Triumph
-Suzuki
-BMW

Bad Makes (or slightly unreliable/not great performance):
-Harley
-Royal Enfield
-Moto Guzzi
-Cleveland Cycle Werks

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 10, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I just looked up the Moto Guzzi v7 stone, and I really like the look except for the cylindars that stick out of it (because its a v). I wish it were inline. Otherwise that bike is gorgeous.

edit: Is moto guzzi also a problematic make?

I am going to make a list of good and bad makes. I want it to be as comprehensive as possible for North America (USA specifically) so if you think I should move anything up or down or add anything please say. I will be using this when the time comes to buy a new bike, as I will catalog everything.

Good makes:
-Yamaha
-Kawasaki
-Honda
-Ducati
-Moto Guzzi
-Triumph

Bad Makes:
-Harley
-Royal Enfield

Weeeeelllll.... Guzzis have "character". Since the Aprilia (and then Piaggio) takeover parts availability is much, much better and most of the more ridiculous build quality problems have been ironed out, but even Guzzi owners will say they're not a bike to rely on as your only means of transport (although they'll suggest the solution is to buy another Guzzi or two as backup, they have brand loyalty Harley would kill for).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is FI throttle snatchiness something I can adjust through the FMF programmer I have installed? I've had it for a while but have yet to play around with different settings yet. I've just been using the clutch to adjust speed for lower maneuvers.

It's fine once I get going, but sucks attempting to do low-speed supermoto stuff.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weeeeelllll.... Guzzis have "character". Since the Aprilia (and then Piaggio) takeover parts availability is much, much better and most of the more ridiculous build quality problems have been ironed out, but even Guzzi owners will say they're not a bike to rely on as your only means of transport (although they'll suggest the solution is to buy another Guzzi or two as backup, they have brand loyalty Harley would kill for).

Gotcha thanks for the tip.

Does anyone have any experience with cleveland cycle werks? Their bikes looks compeltely awesome but I have literally never heard of them.

edit: Apparently they are Chinese produced american assembled nightmares. Avoid like the plague.

Double Edit: Suzuki tu250x looks interesting.

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 10, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ScienceAndMusic posted:

-Harley
-Royal Enfield
Obviously Harley is the worst thing ever, but I think Enfields get more hate than they deserve. Yes, they're not build real well, they often have cosmetic issues, and they have power that a Ninja 250 would laugh at. But they've been fairly reliable in my experience. The shop I work at sells them, since like 09, and I think the biggest warranty thing we've ever done was a stator. And just that one.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Obviously Harley is the worst thing ever, but I think Enfields get more hate than they deserve. Yes, they're not build real well, they often have cosmetic issues, and they have power that a Ninja 250 would laugh at. But they've been fairly reliable in my experience. The shop I work at sells them, since like 09, and I think the biggest warranty thing we've ever done was a stator. And just that one.

I'm not necessarily saying they are "bad" per se, I am saying that they are not completely robust and reliable. I am trying to find a bike that I will be able to ride with minimal maintenance. In my experience this has been bikes like Ninja's or modern hondas. Bikes that just work and aren't constantly coughing or coming loose. I never intend to forgo my maintenance, in fact a little maintenance is very therapeutic, but after dealing with a bike that needed more work than riding, I am seeking to maximize the opposite. I'm not saying Enfield's are unwieldy monsters, but from what I've heard here and elsewhere, they can be shoddy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kloa posted:

Is FI throttle snatchiness something I can adjust through the FMF programmer I have installed? I've had it for a while but have yet to play around with different settings yet. I've just been using the clutch to adjust speed for lower maneuvers.

It's fine once I get going, but sucks attempting to do low-speed supermoto stuff.

It depends on the EFI system. Most modern bikes are set up very very lean for emissions reasons and that makes for snatchiness, so making the mixture more rich will mask some of it. However some snatchiness - especially from 1- and 2-cylinder engines - is always going to be present at low revs just because that's the nature of the beast and you don't want to gently caress up responsiveness just for that.

Also you can use the back brake to even out a lot of perceived snatchiness, you should only really need the clutch at walking speed.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Can you say an entire manufacturer is "bad"? Don't most manufacturers have an "intro" line of products, all the way to their "pro" line, and the intro products have lower build quality than the pro products?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

High Protein posted:

How about the Triumph retro bikes?
I don't know about quality but the Thruxton is :shlick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Wow holy gently caress I can't even buy a Suzuki TU250X because of California's retarded emission laws...