Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The implications on all of this in regards to the path al-qaeda and ISIS take from here are really not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
When al-Maliki declares a state of emergency, if it is one with sweeping powers (which is clearly what he wants) how likely is he to give it back anytime soon? Because he doesn't have a good track record on that front and this looks like a terrific opportunity to extend his power (always look for the silver lining :yaycloud:).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Volkerball posted:

The implications on all of this in regards to the path al-qaeda and ISIS take from here are really not good.

wow, talk about somebody who has no travel plans to europe or america anytime soon. what kind of clod announces sympathy to Alqaeda on facebook?!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

ISIS published an edition of their English language magazine celebrating their victory in Mosul. Interesting to note, the mortars shown in the bit on mortar training are the type that were sent from Croatia to the Syrian "moderate" opposition at the start of 2013.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It seems insane that the Iraqi military let it get to this point. How could they be that incompetent?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

ISIS published an edition of their English language magazine celebrating their victory in Mosul. Interesting to note, the mortars shown in the bit on mortar training are the type that were sent from Croatia to the Syrian "moderate" opposition at the start of 2013.

Now don't you worry about a thing. This guy right here next to me in the balaclava? He's a doctor. He's not just some goon off the street. He's got plenty of experience cutting hands off. Rest assured.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 10, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What drives me crazy isnt just the horrible images and messages of that magazine, it's the fact that their graphic designers and motion artists are so much better than they have any right to be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volkerball posted:

Now don't you worry about a thing. This guy right here next to me in the balaclava? He's a doctor. He's not just some goon off the street. He's got plenty of experience cutting hands off. Rest assured.
Stupid question, whats a HADD. I assume its hand chopping, but i am not sure.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

pengun101 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudud

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Meanwhile, ISIS is also pressing a major offensive in Deir ez-Zour province in Syria:

quote:

BEIRUT: Fighting is raging in eastern Syria as a jihadist group rooted in neighbouring Iraq pushes a fresh bid to create an "Islamic state" along the border, an activist group said Tuesday.

Since the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria (ISIS) launched a new offensive in Deir Al-Zor province 40 days ago, 634 people, mainly fighters, have been killed, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

At the same time, 130,000 people have been forced to leave their homes, with 39 civilians killed from shelling in the fighting.

The Britain-based Observatory said 354 of the dead were members of the Nusra Front -- Syria's official Al-Qaeda arm -- and allied rebel groups.

And 241 were members of ISIS.

The group was once welcomed by some Syrian rebels, but earned the rebellion's wrath because of its systematic abuses and quest for hegemony.

Even Nusra turned against ISIS, after its Iraqi chief, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, sought to take over the group.

Fighting by rebel groups and Nusra against ISIS has killed more than 6,000 people since it began in early January, according to the Observatory.

Syria's war has killed more than 162,000 people and forced nearly half the population to flee their homes.

Read more: http://dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Jun-10/259546-east-syria-fighting-rages-as-isis-press-state-bid.ashx#ixzz34FKVNlzV
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

It seems like they're really trying to sweep, claim and consolidate as much territory in both Iraq and Syria as they can.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
If I were paranoid, I'd say _someone_ just got an influx of cash and supplies. What a great distraction from Russia's current behavior!

I'm not paranoid. Still, why now? Fighting on two fronts at once is always a surprising concern.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Hey BM, how do you save videos from Youtube?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pengun101 posted:

That wiki link describes it, but it's a variety of punishments. Basically always hand chopping for theft though.

suboptimal posted:

Meanwhile, ISIS is also pressing a major offensive in Deir ez-Zour province in Syria:

It seems like they're really trying to sweep, claim and consolidate as much territory in both Iraq and Syria as they can.

The FSA/IF are closing on Raqqa, but it's being reported ISIS has a new weapon that just showed up in Deir ez zor. Humvees! It also sounds like they want to advance to Kirkuk sooner rather than later. Already fighting along the way. As of right now, they control an amount of land the size of Portugal or Indiana.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
Pictures floating around of vehicles from Mosul already showing up in Syria.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

JSARSOM posted:

Pictures floating around of vehicles from Mosul already showing up in Syria.

Would those be the Humvees that Volkerball mentioned?

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Abilifier posted:

Yeah partly,

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Abilifier posted:

Probably. I've seen pics of Omar al-Shishani inspecting a Humvee and also seen a few of trucks and other humvees lined up. All reportedly in Hasakah and Deir ez-Zor.

e: beated

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Sounds like the Iraqi armed forces are just crumbling away in the face of determined resistance. Couple of obvious thoughts:

1) The western occupation forces were supposed to have spent years training up the new Iraqi security force. Evidently, they've not done a very good job.

2) this doesn't bode well for our other military adventure, Afghanistan, when we piss off in a few months time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I want those humvees to get hit with an ied real bad.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Radio Prune posted:

Hey BM, how do you save videos from Youtube?

Keepvid.com, it works with other sites too.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Umiapik posted:

Sounds like the Iraqi armed forces are just crumbling away in the face of determined resistance. Couple of obvious thoughts:

1) The western occupation forces were supposed to have spent years training up the new Iraqi security force. Evidently, they've not done a very good job.

Nothing is ever this simple. Word is that the military and police in Mosul hadn't been paid / were hardly paid at all for months. Because of the fighting in other areas, units were spread out and undermanned. Threats from ISIS, Shiite militia complicity with military actions and goverment caused divisiveness has resulted in rampant desertions of Sunni soldiers. Constant turnover of leadership has resulted in an ineffective command structure. There's also a lot more issues as well. Fact of the matter is that given the atmosphere of the country, this is hardly surprising. Saddening, but not surprising. The government/Maliki lost the Sunni populace through a series of entirely preventable and unnecessary mistakes that seemed largely intentional. This is the ongoing consequence to those actions.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's frustrating that this is our fault since we broke Iraq and then half-assed the fixing part. Granted we all saw that coming, but at this point there's little we can realistically do that isn't going to further inflame the conflict. Same goes for Afghanistan really.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So there's now a strong jihadi presence in Anbar, Ninawa, and Kirkuk. Curious how much of this is really just indigenous Sunni discontent versus ISIS.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Brown Moses posted:

Keepvid.com, it works with other sites too.

One pretty universal method that works is UrlSnooper - it uses WinPcap to sniff network traffic and identify media streams, which you can usually download from a browser or Realmedia ripper or whatever. If you run into stuff that Keepvid won't rip that would be my suggestion. Since it works on a packet-sniffing level it can pick up on sites that aren't popular enough to have real ripping tools available.

JDownloader is another good tool for downloading videos. Massive compatibility, easy to use, but nowadays it's a little hard to recommend since the web installer asks to install adware and I always find that a bit shady. So far as I know it doesn't install the adware if you say no, and once you get it installed it's fine, the updater is clean so far as I know and it's never asked for admin elevation or anything like that. It's just a portable app that sits in a directory so you can install it in a VM or something and copy it out, or maybe try the "Java MultiOS download without installer" version at the bottom.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 10, 2014

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
I like the title change. And, well, news of Mosul's capture is pretty stunning, on paper, Iraq's security services look pretty good, but the reality is clearly nowhere near where they've set to be. If Iraq continues to decline at this rate, I would not be surprised to see Iran getting its formal armed forces more involved here.

This is really starting to feel like an all-out regional war against every Shia state in the Middle East now, and I'm sure the Saudi's and other Gulf monarchies are all enjoying the show from their vantage point while those countries are bled out in front of them.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
why don't kurds go south to help?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Charlotte Hornets posted:

why don't kurds go south to help?

because they benefit out of a weak central authority.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

because they benefit out of a weak central authority.

And Barzani is in it to line his pockets, not out of any real solidarity with the cause of the greater Kuridsh nation. Plus he and Maliki hate each other.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 10, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Warcabbit posted:

If I were paranoid, I'd say _someone_ just got an influx of cash and supplies. What a great distraction from Russia's current behavior!

I'm not paranoid. Still, why now? Fighting on two fronts at once is always a surprising concern.
It's pretty shocking the amount of ground ISIS has suddenly gained in the last week, and one wonders if someone is bankrolling them. I wouldn't think it's Russia, but... maybe Saudi?

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Isn't it an open secret that ISIS is financed by Saudi Arabia?

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
So who is running ISIS? Is it just a hivemind of extremists or are there named people running poo poo?

e: guess the few above touched on this

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Isn't it an open secret that ISIS is financed by Saudi Arabia?
Well I'm implying Saudi's giving even more money than usual here.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

It's pretty shocking the amount of ground ISIS has suddenly gained in the last week, and one wonders if someone is bankrolling them. I wouldn't think it's Russia, but... maybe Saudi?

Russia doesn't arm islamic militants since the 1990s because all of the weapons sent to the Middle East always wound up in Chechnya being used against Russian soldiers. Strong authoritarian "presidents" like Bashar Assad get Russia's support precisely because they are seen as a counter to both Western democracies and radical islamists in the Middle East.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

JSARSOM posted:

So who is running ISIS? Is it just a hivemind of extremists or are there named people running poo poo?

e: guess the few above touched on this

There's a solidified command structure, Abu Dua is the current leader and has quite an impressive resume. All see if I can find the link, but I read a great article on the metrics ISIL has been using to gauge their effectiveness.

Also, a ISIL and some other Mujh organizations are claiming Sunni tribesman assisted in taking Mosul. It would explain the quickness of the fall and the desertions, as I'm 90% sure Maliki hadn't replaced the Brigades in Mosul with ones filled with Shiites from the south like he did in Anbar.

Maliki is also vowing a quick response. This can only mean that his "Baghdad" Brigades will move north, likely accompanied by Shiite militiamen. This guarantees heavy fighting and puts Baghdad itself at risk considering that most of the surrounding areas are under ISIL control already.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's frustrating that this is our fault since we broke Iraq and then half-assed the fixing part.

We spent tens if not hundreds of billions, and thousands of lives. Effort was never our problem.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Aurubin posted:

And Barzani is in it to line his pockets, not out of any real solidarity with the cause of the greater Kuridsh nation. Plus he and Maliki hate each other.

I think there are other factors involved as well. Mosul is partly Kurdish isn't it? I imagine it probably has oil near it. There is no better way to line your pocket than with oil and popular support.

One thing I am not clear on is whether the Kurdish party that opposes barzani (and controls Syrian Kurdish areas) is friendly with ISIS. I think the Syrian Kurds signed some kind of peace deal with ISIS. If Barzani's opponents support ISIS then Barzani is going to want to take Mosul. I think he has already threatened to take action with the peshmerga.

I would imagine that he might sabre rattle for the moment, and if the Iraqi state looks like it is kaput then he will move in to secure territory.

Edit: I am on a phone I am sorry. :eng99:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 10, 2014

Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Pycckuu posted:

Russia doesn't arm islamic militants since the 1990s because all of the weapons sent to the Middle East always wound up in Chechnya being used against Russian soldiers. Strong authoritarian "presidents" like Bashar Assad get Russia's support precisely because they are seen as a counter to both Western democracies and radical islamists in the Middle East.

Chechen rebels mostly got their weapons from within Russia, not through the middle east. The heavily mined natural borders with Georgia was far from ideal for smuggling. I agree that Russia isn't arming ISIS though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone want to take any bets when Kurdistan is gonna declare itself a state?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Right after hell freezes over. Turkey would lose its poo poo, the U.S doesn't want to have to deal with the significant fallout that would dramatically impact its relationship with multiple allies, Iran would probably get involved, and the various Kurdish groups in Iraq and Syria are nowhere near unified enough / have little interest in doing so as long as they have autonomy to a degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013
I thought Saudi Arabia is one of the biggest US allies in the region? They're the ones funding America's nemesis?

• Locked thread