Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Demolition gets a heck of a lot of flack, but it's a good way to introduce someone to basic concepts in CS:GO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

a slime posted:

Tell them how the guns work. A friend of mine has three hundred hours played in this game and just found out that the gun recoil is a thing, let alone that it is repeatable and can be compensated for.

quotin' mahself:

NihilCredo posted:

sv_showimpacts 1 is nice, but IMO weapon_debug_spread_show 1 is much, much more important (and I think should be put in the OP).

If your shooter experience comes from basically any other game ever made, then discovering just how much CS guns spaz out for the slightest of reasons is a major culture shock. It's one thing to tell people "don't run and gun, especially not with the AK" and quite another to see the spread box instantly grow to the size of your mom.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

a slime posted:

Tell them how the guns work. A friend of mine has three hundred hours played in this game and just found out that the gun recoil is a thing, let alone that it is repeatable and can be compensated for.

that was our secret dude

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Slumpy posted:

that was our secret dude

i don't keep secrets for my worst enemies

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Tell them not to crouch or jump, tell them to burst fire and then pause between shots, tell them to pull down in the case that they do spray. Tell them that each gun has a recoil pattern which is the same every time.

Then play a few games with them, and follow them around. I find that supporting them like that helps them get kills, and getting kills is fun so that'll help them not get bored.

Counterstrike just isn't a very noob friendly game imo. If you haven't put a ton of hours in to learning the style of play, it can be a rough start.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
And then you put 5000 hours into it and realize you still suck.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dr Cheeto posted:

Demolition gets a heck of a lot of flack, but it's a good way to introduce someone to basic concepts in CS:GO.

Explain why I'm so bad at this game then.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So trying to introduce two newbies to competitive. They haven't ever played cs:go before. Is there a tried and true way to get them immersed without scaring them off?

It was really unfortunate that their first match was being thrown in against a Master Guardian Elite and a bunch of Novas. Maybe I could get a smurf account so that I could still teach them during matches without bringing in higher ranked people. Practicing on a private server is good and all, but there's no real substitute for playing real games.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Tell your friends to stop aiming at the ground

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Apogee15 posted:

Tell them not to crouch or jump, tell them to burst fire and then pause between shots, tell them to pull down in the case that they do spray. Tell them that each gun has a recoil pattern which is the same every time.

Tell them my story.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

mcvey posted:

And then you put 5000 hours into it and realize you still can't throw a proper flash.
You made a typo, I set it straight for you though.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

IronDoge posted:

It was really unfortunate that their first match was being thrown in against a Master Guardian Elite and a bunch of Novas. Maybe I could get a smurf account so that I could still teach them during matches without bringing in higher ranked people. Practicing on a private server is good and all, but there's no real substitute for playing real games.

Yeah it was. Lets try again tonight if Biaga gets on with that one server command posted above thats more in depth than show impacts.

I wouldn't do a smurf account though, you'd be wasting money on it. Although you and your golden AK will keep loving US IN THE rear end IRON DOGE!

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Tell them that if they use the p90 they don't need any skill.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Shadowlz posted:

Tell them that if they use the p90 they don't need any skill.

This is how I play so of course I have told them. p90 is the best gun in the game.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Don't queue with them until they can break 28 seconds on the weapons course with the ak. Preferably, don't tell them to use the ak.

Or grenade.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

bind ctrl "say I'm trying to crouch like a scrub"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love playing deathwatch with the one croucher on the other team

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Sewer Adventure posted:

It's just idiots cargo-culting pros who never made the switch to widescreen. And then they try to justify it by saying it "helps you focus", and "peripheral vision doesn't matter, because you should be holding the right angle anyway". Ugh.

I tried 4:3 stretched on a whim and now I can't go back to skinny models.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Diddie posted:

I tried 4:3 stretched on a whim and now I can't go back to skinny models.

Disgusting.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
justify ur settings choices to me u piece of poo poo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

All my settings are modeled after GeT_RiGhT.

PelvicThrust
Oct 22, 2009

And one for the doctor
My player models are pink clothed, bug-eyed anime girls to show my artistic contrast to the dark, muddy, depressing world that is cs

subscribe to my workshop

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

what is the best crosshair color?

are you an idiot if you dont change it per map?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I cycle through several cross hairs and always enthusiastically bitch on the mic about team advantage due to outfits like the white terrorists and white couches on agency.

Then I fake flash with my pistol and knife everyone with my factory new huntsman.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Shogunner posted:

i dont know if this is the place for this but you dont have messages

are you the guy who was loving his adopted sister from facepunch.com??
You might be thinking of 8bitlord? A facepuncher that got creepily obsessive over another member after she showed up at a FP meetup to reveal she was in fact female. Ended with her leaving the forums because it got weird.
Seems like a rather common story actually. I feel like I've read the same thing here on SA before.

Anyway with regard to advising new players I think it's crucial to let them know that accuracy goes out the window if you try to move and shoot. Learning how to hit things with bullets is the biggest thing that makes new players' lives hell I would imagine because it's a bit of a dark art in Counterstrike.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
edit oops

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
If you win pistol round please do NOT buy rifles. Buy a good pistol or a low smg or even a nova. Oh my god do not buy a rifle.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Bizon supremacy singlehandedly took long a on dust 2 tonight.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010

Xenaero posted:

If you win pistol round please do NOT buy rifles. Buy a good pistol or a low smg or even a nova. Oh my god do not buy a rifle.

Buying a rifle is far less risky than buying a nova or bizon.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

spiderlemur posted:

Buying a rifle is far less risky than buying a nova or bizon.

Buying a rifle is a good way to get picked and have your allies die to the rifle where an SMG would only tickle their armored visages.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Buying a rifle is a good way to get picked and have your allies die to the rifle where an SMG would only tickle their armored visages.
Buying an SMG if your opponent buys P250/armor after losing pistol round is a good way to lose second round after winning pistol.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Coleman posted:

Buying an SMG if your opponent buys P250/armor after losing pistol round is a good way to lose second round after winning pistol.

This. There's no reason not to buy a rifle unless you're going for an AWP or something. What's the point of winning pistol if you're only gonna put yourself on par with the other team the next round?

vvv yes

mcvey fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 11, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Buy a rifle, but don't buy an m4 or ak.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Apogee15 posted:

Buy a rifle, but don't buy an m4 or ak.

I'm okay with this.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Killing an unarmoured guy who has a rifle is easier than killing an armoured guy with an smg.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

So buy armor? Even if you spend $800 pistol and don't get a kill you can get armor+helm and a galil/famas second round.

e: must have totally misinterpreted what you were saying

mcvey fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 11, 2014

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

kcer posted:

Killing an unarmoured guy who has a rifle is easier than killing an armoured guy with an smg.

I can't think of one time ever where I couldn't afford galil/famas + armor after winning pistol round

Coleman
May 5, 2011

real dilemma posted:

I can't think of one time ever where I couldn't afford galil/famas + armor after winning pistol round

Given that I know kcer will buy a rifle second round, I actually think he's agreeing with us. He's saying; if your opponent has no armor and manages to steal a Galil or Famas (or even an AK or M4), he should still be fairly easy to kill. But if your opponent armors up after losing pistol, and all you have is an SMG, you will have a lot of trouble taking him down to win round 2.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Yeah what Cole said.

Since you can practically bet your house on the pistol-losers buying a p250 and armour 2nd round, I'm much happier buying a famas or a galil than I am a [any smg] because the smg isn't really a clear favourite, unlike a rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

kcer posted:

[any smg] because the smg isn't really a clear favourite, unlike a rifle.

Yeah but check out this 5k UMP anti-eco spraydown I got on these Novas in banana, it's clearly competitively viable.

• Locked thread