Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rakthar posted:

Also that part of the story was always implausible to me. You can steal $100k from a small business bank account with a trojan, and this is really happening right now. Why would you rob a gangster? Why would you go to a mob hotel? If you steal from Jim's Metalworking Shop he won't hire anyone to kill your family.

And all that risk for a $300k gig? Right now hackers are wrecking retailers for millions and I'm pretty sure they aren't getting loved ones murdered in retaliation, at least not by Target corporate security.

Even within the world of watchdogs it doesn't make sense because you could steal $300k from civilians in a few hours if you wanted to.

To me it always felt like, "Hey, let's rob a bank. But not just any bank, how about the federal reserve! Nothing bad could happen there. And if things go well, we might get like a million dollars!" I had a hard time accepting that premise right from the getgo.

It's not clear whether Aidan and Damien actually knew that the hotel was owned by the mob. Furthermore, from the intro itself it looked like they were getting the money of the rich hotel guests through the hotel. And Lucky Quinn at the end even says that they only went after Aidan because they thought instead of money Aidan and Damien were after the video recordings of the Washington murder.

Michaellaneous posted:

A very well put together and fair review of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnwVvAviNVk

"Within the first 30 seconds you already made me hate them". Funny, that's the same reaction I had to the video and its creators inability to know what a flashblack and a timeskip are. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

Do the police get called on you for using an IED?
Admittedly, all of my IED usage has been during side missions. I think civilians are incredibly less likely to call the cops on you during them because you can basically destroy half the city during a convoy or "Chase and/or kill thus dude" Fixer mission and only the enemies or pre arranged stuff happens unlike whipping out a grenade launcher trying to take out a hacker.

"Hmm, I'm about to hit 50% on this tailing hack gee I wonder if-oh look he called in reinforcements during a combo black out and com jam."

The hacking skills are fun but I keep trying to use preventative measures against things I am not allowed to stop just like nearly every video game ever. Can't call it railroading because I can still hack the trains :downs: At least the guys you have to chase who will cancel bridge and blocker hacks, and shrug off six or more intersection hack caused crashes in their sports car were always very polite and just stopped their car once the hack was over and it was time for me to kill them. Literally park their cars and just wait to die. A bizarre flip flop of "Oh come ON, that should totally stop them" and "Oh come on, it should not be this easy to stop them".

As for the Story, I haven't exactly been paying attention to spoilers but my expectations for the story itself are-

"Your whole family is dead. All your hacker acquaintances are dead. Jordi was killed in a road accident with a Pizza Guy. The hooker, dog, sickly orphan, and smart aleck AI you adopted are dead. That robot toy line has been canceled. The batteries in your magic phone are dead. You killed half the city when you released Not SHODAN into Ctos. You never get revenge for dead little girl. Everyone knows you are the Vigilante. You have developed an allergy to energy drinks.

You are still an idiot who thinks you are Batman Goodguy. Also you were creepy to a few more ladies and that's worse than every other atrocity you've done on the way (But still, personal space, come on man)."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 10, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Backhand posted:

I just finished all the ctOS breach missions last night, and I must say Damien's final audio logs certainly encourage this interpretation. In the last one, he pretty much flat-out calls Aiden a revenge-obsessed street punk consumed with his own self-righteous anger, who becomes the Vigilante purely as a way of sating his own thirst for destruction. He goes on to say that despite all his efforts to uplift Aiden, teach him, and clean him up, he never really stopped being anything more than a thug. Sounds about right.

This is mostly correct, but I'd note that if you're agreeing with Damien about something, you're probably wrong about it at least in part. Damien is the Has Bad Opinions Man.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Rakthar posted:

Realizing a job is going badly and trying to respond, instead of blindly ignoring the danger, is actually a sign of clear thinking under stress. In many heist stories / movies there's a 'reckless' character that acts rashly under danger, and a clear thinking character. In that scenario it sure seemed that Aiden had correctly identified they were in serious trouble and should have immediately aborted. Why would you interpret that as "Aiden is a coward that tried to save himself?"

Well you're right about him being good under pressure, but I don't know what that has to do with the conversation at hand, or how you got the idea that I think he's a coward?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
So I've been looking around at this game (trying to also avoid spoilers) and it seems pretty decent.

Anybody here know if the gold edition on the PSN ($80) would be worth it, though?

Or should I just go vanilla edition?

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 10, 2014

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tempo 119 posted:

Well you're right about him being good under pressure, but I don't know what that has to do with the conversation at hand, or how you got the idea that I think he's a coward?

You said it was not a character trait, I responded to say I felt it was a trait that helped establish his character.

The rest of my post was my thoughts on the storyline and plausibility of that whole intro event.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Sleeping Sigma posted:

So I've been looking around at this game (trying to also avoid spoilers) and it seems pretty decent.

Anybody here know if the gold edition on the PSN ($80) would be worth it, though?

Or should I just go vanilla edition?

Vanilla. Everything is in the season pass so if you really like the game get that too.

Getting gold + season pass = cross content = wasted money.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Vanilla. Everything is in the season pass so if you really like the game get that too.

Getting gold + season pass = cross content = wasted money.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you.

Vanilla it is.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

A very well put together and fair review of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnwVvAviNVk

Nah its pretty poo poo.

Also the dudes you are supposed to hack or whatever? Just drive in front of them and shoot them in the head. You hack their phone then either run or kill the reinforcements.

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 11, 2014

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Just in case anyone was wondering, I tried doing the whole 'saving Jackson, part II' mission nonlethally. While it was kind of rewarding just because they don't make it easy, it doesn't change anything. Aiden still references killing them all, and the cutscene proceeds as if you did.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Backhand posted:

Grenade launchers kill helicopters in one shot, two at most. Just sayin'.
You can also just shoot out the snipers and they'll :fuckoff:

I did that to the first cop chopper I ever saw easily, with some crap-rear end assault rifle.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That review has nothing on Insane Brogue Man Reviews. :colbert:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Tail Tyrone."

I'd love to. Just let me pause you and look up the one specific route Ubisoft expected me to know to take. I cannot shoot anyone, because these are magical gangsters! If you shoot a magical gangster in the back of the head with a silenced weapon, he will spot you and fail the mission! And sometimes, even if you're behind solid cover like a wall, they will see you through them! There was one time I got spotted through multiple walls, in fact! And if it wasn't for the 60+ second load times between attempts, that might not be quite so aggravating.

It's incredible that a game this incompetently made was released into the wilds as a finished product. I'm only in middle/late Act 2, so maybe something drastic changes, but so far the only character I've run into that's been even remotely likeable has been Tyrone's grandma. If the difficulty didn't wildly spike at certain times - this mission, escaping the cops without heading for the water, escaping the prison - then it wouldn't be so frustrating.

Also, if someone could explain to me why they gate some side quest content but not others, I'd appreciate it. Again, I'm somewhere in the second half of Act 2 right now. I've done all the side quests marked on my map and of them, only the Peephole thing and the ctOS Breach thing are 100% complete. I have to play more story missions to open up more side quest stuff. And even really stupid poo poo gets hit by it. I thought I'd spend time tonight doing the drinking game achievement, since I'd heard it was tough to get.

Nope. I'm blocked at level 5. It won't let me progress any further. :psyduck: Like okay, maybe there's a storyline reason (probably not, though) why some side quest stuff can't be all done right from the get-go. But the loving drinking game?! It's not like you get anything game-breaking by doing it! Watch Dogs is, above all else, a game about really weird, confusing design choices.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
For those not in the know, ChibiSoma is a gimmick account dedicated to venting frustration at minor inconveniences in videogames. The game, the subject, and the inconvenience don't really matter- expect several-paragraph rants regardless.

The serial killer mission, and the QR code mission, were both real letdowns.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

a gimmick account dedicated to venting frustration at minor inconveniences in videogames. The game, the subject, and the inconvenience don't really matter- expect several-paragraph rants regardless.

You just described like 90% of this forum

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Fateo McMurray posted:

You just described like 90% of this forum

We've paid for the privilege of posting, we need to get our money's worth.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
Speaking of gating, a few pages back someone said no content was gated. I've found that's incorrect - I'm sitting at 6/7 for some and 8/9 for a few sides, and after checking where the items should be to make sure I got them all, I guess that last one is the final mission or something for each.

Edit: VVVV I pretty much ran around doing everything. While I have most stuff unlocked and went so far as to get the destroyer, I'm still not out of Act 1. I read that the final missions open up somewhere in Act 3, so I don't know if that's it or something. However, no, the story hasn't sent me to pawnee to open up a tower....I think. I did go to a bridge though for a quick flashback early on.

Jiro Kage fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 11, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jiro Kage posted:

Speaking of gating, a few pages back someone said no content was gated. I've found that's incorrect - I'm sitting at 6/7 for some and 8/9 for a few sides, and after checking where the items should be to make sure I got them all, I guess that last one is the final mission or something for each.

Have you been to Pawnee yet? Pretty sure the first story mission that introduces you there ends with you unlocking a ctOS tower, which will light up the last few things.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

Have you been to Pawnee yet? Pretty sure the first story mission that introduces you there ends with you unlocking a ctOS tower, which will light up the last few things.

This.

Some (eg Gang Hangouts) you can find before that mission by driving around Pawnee.

In other cases, like with the Gun Crates, the final mission is introduced by a character you meet later in the story so obviously it won't be unlocked until you meet them.

EDIT: The Pawnee tower is one of the first missions of Act3.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Snuffman posted:

EDIT: The Pawnee tower is one of the first missions of Act3.

I read that as 'first missions of AC3' and now I'm imagining what the profiler would say about AC1/2 characters.

Name: Meldrick
Income: 1 florin, 2 shillings

Recently diagnosed with plague.

Hack to obtain location of secret entrance to cesspit.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

drat, this has fallen to the fourth page already?

Well, been playing it for a few weeks. Can't bring myself to keep playing the story because it is god awful. As others have probably stated, it isn't bad in the sense that it is nonsensical and hard to follow, it's just the blandest plot and story I've played in a long time. Aiden is one of the most unlikable protagonists I've ever played. Not because he's constantly robbing people and putting his family in harms way, but just cause his motivation so...blah. Literally any of the other characters would have been more interesting to play as, with any other story imaginable.

You want revenge for your niece? How about some pathos over the fact that you essentially got your niece killed by loving around and getting caught hacking powerful people. Also there is no option to gently caress the French out of Clara. Literally any of the other characters would have been more interesting to play as, with any other story imaginable.

That said, I do find the game to be extremely fun. The side missions become boring after you do the 5th identical criminal convoy mission, but the entire game is redeemed with some incredibly inspired and fun multiplayer. I have put a ton of hours into the hacking, observation, and decryption modes. These games never get boring for me and I will probably continue to play them until I trade this in to buy GTA V for PS4 in October.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Kind of pissed that my game glitched out and I have to do this mission with T-Bone all over again. The game would never trigger the next part and he would just stay in cover forever. Even tried blowing him away from the cover with grenades.

I also feel bad for the guy who hacked me earlier. I was going to do a mission and its on some backwoods path in the middle of a hill in Pawnee. Needless to say, I found him hiding in a car pretty quickly. Didn't even profile him, just blasted him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The final arena in Iraq's stronghold is pretty bullshit. Enemies spawn from randomized directions, which is a good decision, the problem is they apparently teleport in from absolutely anywhere off-camera, which is pretty infuriating when there are multiple Enforcers involved.

Speaking of Enforcers, apparently some of them carry a full auto machinegun, the U100 or something, that can't be purchased or unlocked by other means. Be sure to grab it! Are there any other potentially missable weapons?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Discendo Vox posted:

The serial killer mission, and the QR code mission, were both real letdowns.

There were a couple of QR code audio logs about Aiden that were kinda cool, at least. "Badboy has approached the DedSec council about giving some fixer thug access to our most significant city-disrupting hacks. This seems like a really bad idea and I don't know why they're considering it."

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So I beat the game and its just staying on a screen of the city, I can't escape, I can't do anything. What the gently caress is this?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So I beat the game and its just staying on a screen of the city, I can't escape, I can't do anything. What the gently caress is this?

Left clicking with the mouse sent me back to free roam.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Soarer posted:

Left clicking with the mouse sent me back to free roam.

Haha not me! We need a :dice: but for Ubi.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
My game hung at that point too, I had to restart and replay the last bit and sit through the credits again. Especially great because it's Ubisoft and thousands of people worked on this game so the credits are amazingly long.

The multiplayer can be pretty great though, knowing you're being invaded before the other player gets close to you is such an advantage. So many times I've seen a car come up behind me slightly too fast or out of lane, it's so fun popping out of my car with the Destroyer and putting one in their engine block and then pulling out the U100 to mow them down. I've probably killed twenty or so people like this over the past few days, proximity IEDs around blind corners are also pretty hilarious.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Haha not me! We need a :dice: but for Ubi.

Nothing to do but restart, hope the checkpoint worked (I had to redo the whole last mission), and not press any input at all during the credits. It can hang both before the credits start and after they end.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have been having too much fun going into free roam mode and just disabling people's cars with the destroyer. They keep getting into new cars and then you just disable that one.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Had a street sign fall on top of me while on a motorbike and it hung around aiden's neck. Didn't detach so I was just driving around with a yellow metal roof on top.

Also people sure love just throwing their stuff on the ground. I bumped shoulders with a guy welding a pipe, so he dropped his welder and said "whoa" and started cowering on the ground in an infinite loop like I'm about to stab him.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I find it sort of amusing that surveillance cameras exist in this world for Aiden to hack, and never to fulfill their actual purpose of spotting intruders like Aiden. Maybe in a sequel they could make things a little harder like Aiden has to find a master terminal in a building before he can start using cameras.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They can't see him because he wears a scarf over the bottom half of his face.

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010

Subra posted:

the Destroyer

:argh: I loving hate this so much, 1 shot and oh look your car is dead, game over.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
It's why I try to never enter a player's line of sight in a car while invading, way too many people know the pause/focus trick and it's safer to approach on foot and try to hack around a corner/with cameras/while in a bush. I've pulled it off a few times but acting like an NPC while driving is really difficult when they're looking for an invader.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I find it annoying that it's a shot ANYWHERE.
You don't even need to hit the engine, just hit it twice in the back and any car is as good as dead, even the armoured trucks.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I've had explosives be kind of inconsistant when it comes to player vehicles. Somtimes i can shoot just one grenade and murder them outright, other times it takes multiple shots just to get the car to smoke.

I suppose it's both a good thing and a bad thing, it's annoying that explosives don't instantly kill you like they kind of should. But then if they always did then this game would have the same problem that GTA 5 has where everybody don't even use guns while cars since it's so easy to just drive up and stick a barely noticable bomb to the side of sombodies car and then kill them before they can react at all other than pinpoint accurate headshots before you can press one button.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"Here, get T-Bone's truck back to him!" the game says to me. "Enjoy having a half dozen enemy vehicles on you at once as you try and maneuver through one-lane back roads, unable to attack them because there are no road hazards and you stupidly can't shoot while driving. The enemies all can, of course! And when you arrive, enjoy being forced out of the vehicle as all the enemies surround you and kill you in under two seconds! This is great mission design from the game masters at Ubisoft!"

Watch Dogs is a social experiment on how much torturous, poorly made bullshit a player is willing to put up with before he goes crazy and snaps the disc, throws a controller out the window, or spikes his console like a football, isn't it?

E: At least the mission has actual checkpoints - a rarity for this PoS. And the solution is, as it always is, the grenade launcher.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You kill the initial wave of attackers at the location where you find the van. All other enemies are in static vehicle blockades with immediately obvious sideroutes, or with hackable objects nearby that will kill all of them instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Shoot all the dudes at the van site. Let one call re-enforcements and shoot them too. This will pretty much stop all chases.

• Locked thread