Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

OldTennisCourt posted:

This episode is worth it if only for the idea that Bob Backlund is Lemongrab.

"EEEEEEEEEEHHHHH THIS MATCH IS UNACCETABLE. 100 YEARS CHICKEN WIIIIIINGS"
drat it, I nearly started laughing out loud at the office. XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Few days late I know, but I just listened to Jericho's podcast with AJ Styles.

Great interview for reasons already said, but it was hilarious hearing AJ talk about how stupid it is to have a new guy from another company win the world title in his first match from a top homegrown star (this was apparently recorded after his NJPW debut at Invasion Attack but before he won the title).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thauros posted:

Few days late I know, but I just listened to Jericho's podcast with AJ Styles.

Great interview for reasons already said, but it was hilarious hearing AJ talk about how stupid it is to have a new guy from another company win the world title in his first match from a top homegrown star (this was apparently recorded after his NJPW debut at Invasion Attack but before he won the title).

Having said that, the exception is a) if the guy coming in is AJ Styles and b) your main event scene is stale as moldy bread.

edit: But it is still funny the timing of that. :haw:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 10, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LordPants posted:

Having said that, the exception is a) if the guy coming in is AJ Styles and b) your main event scene is stale as moldy bread.

edit: But it is still funny the timing of that. :haw:

I think it was a defensible move and I was impressed with his work last month. It remains to be seen whether or not it'll work out but I can't blame them for trying something different. There's also admittedly a big difference between a situation where you have a clear #2 fed trying to close the gap with a much larger competitor and two feds in different markets that don't really compete.

It's still funny.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
The difference is that Joe was being built as an unstoppable monster who was just starting his first run with the title and was (I think) undefeated at the time, Angle was coming from a bigger and more popular competitor, and Angle vs Joe is such an obviously massive match that it makes sense to hold off for at least a few months. Okada is already cemented as a main event player and has won and lost the title several times already, Styles is nowhere near as well known as Okada in Japan, and Okada vs Styles just doesn't have the same buzz about it. It's apples and oranges.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Not Angle/Joe, RVD/Styles.

AJ (probably justifiably) was pissed that they brought in a WWE guy and put him over their homegrown champ on his debut.

"It had nothing to do with him (RVD), that's not what it was about, it was about them just giving him the title, giving the title to a guy who just walked in the building. You don't do that."

Thauros fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 10, 2014

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Ah well ignore me then

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

Not Angle/Joe, RVD/Styles.

AJ (probably justifiably) was pissed that they brought in a WWE guy and put him over their homegrown champ on his debut.

"It had nothing to do with him (RVD), that's not what it was about, it was about them just giving him the title, giving the title to a guy who just walked in the building. You don't do that."

I think the clear difference between that and NJPW is that AJ came to NJPW with something to prove, and a desire to do great matches.

RVD came to TNA for an easy cheque and to snooze his way through matches. Giving a guy like that a title over a homegrown star who busts his rear end sends a terrible message.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I think the clear difference between that and NJPW is that AJ came to NJPW with something to prove, and a desire to do great matches.

Well, I think there's also a key distinction that AJ is coming into New Japan as a terrible villain for the homegrown heroes (since everyone is a babyface against Bullet Club) to eventually overcome, while RVD was the hero who you were supposed to love and have be your new hero.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Just catching up with some podcasts I've missed and holy poo poo, JR was incredibly loving creepy in his interview with Lita. Jeez. I had to turn it off, dude was seriously flat-out Gooning all over her. Gross.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

Well, I think there's also a key distinction that AJ is coming into New Japan as a terrible villain for the homegrown heroes (since everyone is a babyface against Bullet Club) to eventually overcome, while RVD was the hero who you were supposed to love and have be your new hero.

Very true. Basically TNA sucks and is incompetent in every way.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

That's a good point. I only watched TNA for a couple months in 2012 so tbh I had no clue what the face/heel dynamics were for RVD/Styles.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The main difference is NJPW doesn't constantly portray itself as worse than its competition.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

MassRafTer posted:

The main difference is NJPW doesn't constantly portray itself as worse than its competition.

Yeah, in the first match AJ beat Okada with a ton of Bullet Club interference, and the announcers screaming AJ STYLES GO HOME!! GO HOME!!!

If TNA portrayed RVD as some arrogant outsider who could beat their homegrown guy but only with a bunch of backup and sneaky tactics, that would be a different story than what they actually did.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

birdlaw posted:

Just catching up with some podcasts I've missed and holy poo poo, JR was incredibly loving creepy in his interview with Lita. Jeez. I had to turn it off, dude was seriously flat-out Gooning all over her. Gross.

The Michelle Beadle one starts almost as bad until she basically wrangles control from him.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

If TNA portrayed RVD as some arrogant outsider who could beat their homegrown guy but only with a bunch of backup and sneaky tactics, that would be a different story than what they actually did.

Would it have been much better? This is TNA and what you're describing sounds a fair bit like the interminable Aces and 8s. Even if they copied the Bullet Club note-for-note, it'd still be worse because they are worse at writing and producing wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Would it have been much better? This is TNA and what you're describing sounds a fair bit like the interminable Aces and 8s. Even if they copied the Bullet Club note-for-note, it'd still be worse because they are worse at writing and producing wrestling.

Well, at least you could somewhat explain it, rather than "TNA brought in a WWE guy and beat AJ for no reason"

But yeah it would have sucked cause it's TNA

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

f4w kaz show is good

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vince Russo doesn't really watch TV but he loves reality shows because they're "real drama" this explains everything.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

power rankings assuming not some dumb interview with a musician or something
Austin > Jericho > Observer shows with Meltzer > Bauer & Pollock > other MLW shows > Cheap Heat > Art of Wrestling > all those other F4W/LAW shows > JR

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yea ok posted:

f4w kaz show is good

I'm listening to it right now and every question Alvarez asks is "man TNA is badly run, your thoughts?"

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

epitasis posted:

Austin > Jericho > Observer shows with Meltzer > Bauer & Pollock > other MLW shows > Cheap Heat > Art of Wrestling > all those other F4W/LAW shows > JR

Put Sin Limite between Austin and Jericho and I'd co sign that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I guess also the Alvarez shows with Lance Storm should be higher than the rest of the F4W shows

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dr. Lucha shows are top tier podcasts. I love that man.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Today's Austin podcast was a total throwback to the early days with guys diving in head first to tales of addiction and withdrawal and stuff. I had no idea Justin Credible was into that stuff that deep.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dunbar posted:

Today's Austin podcast was a total throwback to the early days with guys diving in head first to tales of addiction and withdrawal and stuff. I had no idea Justin Credible was into that stuff that deep.

Yeah, when I saw Justin Credible was the guest I was ready to give it a miss, but I found his open talk about how he got addicted and how deep down the rabbithole he went pretty fascinating.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

epitasis posted:

But where do the PSPcasts rank?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

But where do the PSPcasts rank?

In the toilet.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

In the toilet.

Where the pisscast likes it!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Dunbar posted:

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, when I saw Justin Credible was the guest I was ready to give it a miss, but I found his open talk about how he got addicted and how deep down the rabbithole he went pretty fascinating.

Offhand question, did y'all listen to when he was on Art of Wrestling? I feel like he talked quite a bit about his addiction issues then too, but I could be wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BlueArmyMan posted:

Offhand question, did y'all listen to when he was on Art of Wrestling?

Nope, I can barely keep up with Austin, Jericho and JR's podcasts as it is. So this was all new stuff to me.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

ch3cooh posted:

Where the pisscast likes it!

You'd think, but we actually prefer the Enclosed Pool Area.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

^^^ Chris Benoit reference (he killed his wife and son)

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

epitasis posted:

^^^ Chris Benoit reference (he killed his wife and son)

ALLEGEDLY.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

kevin sullivan did it and bought the bra

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Something inhuman piece of blah...

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

This is stuff the podcast up north doesn't want you to hear about. But the Pisscast brings the hot scoops!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NienNunb posted:

This is stuff the podcast up north doesn't want you to hear about. But the Pisscast brings the hot scoops!
hot piss

Episode 45: Lyte Funky Ones

The only wrestling podcast with the stones to cover Impact Wrestling

and also Raw, NJPW, and bad music

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4vly6fdsjidb864/045+Wrestlehut+pisscast.mp3

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Who is Dave talking to about whats going to happen at the PPVs for WWE? on the show with Bryan he was talking about getting put on the spot about what he would do, and then being told what was going to happen. Does he actually consult for WWE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Who is Dave talking to about whats going to happen at the PPVs for WWE? on the show with Bryan he was talking about getting put on the spot about what he would do, and then being told what was going to happen. Does he actually consult for WWE?

No but he gets told what's going to happen a lot of the time with the pre-tense that he not say what's going to happen. So when asked to predict or fantasy book, he feels silly when he knows the plan.

• Locked thread