Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
An on call week came in, new work phone ringtone time!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BuuIR_HqNWo&feature=kp

I might keep this one for a while. It's very fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I use my personal Cell for on Call. I never give out my number, but I do get pages (in the form of a text) from the ticketing system. I've set the notification for the number that the ticketing system uses to a quote from Mr. Torgue (from Borderlands 2) that says "This message is irrelevant". More often than not, it's quite accurate.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is it :filez: to ask where I can download those loving Cisco firmware updates without figuring out what my company's support contract thingy is? I don't have time to prove that we're :homebrew: to them.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Is it :filez: to ask where I can download those loving Cisco firmware updates without figuring out what my company's support contract thingy is? I don't have time to prove that we're :homebrew: to them.

Yes. All you need is the contract number, and you go to your CCO profile, and add it under entitlement.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Guess I have to wait until tomorrow then. What is Cisco's rationale behind making us pay for patches to vulnerabilities on their hardware anyways? Just because we will? Who else does business like that? It'd be like GM charging you to recall their busted poo poo.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Today we moved over half our branch locations to Lync 2010 from IP Office.

Lots of tickets came in:

"I can't put someone on hold!" - Push the hold button. It's right there. Says "HOLD".
  • "I wish Lord Dudeguy would have sent us a picture of the hold button instead of just telling us to push the hold button." - UGG! FIRE BAD!
"I wish IT would have sent us some documentation before launching this." - Sends copy of documentation sent to all branch locations last month.
  • "I wish Lord Dudeguy would have just written us a new document instead of pointing us to the document he sent us before." - UGG! FIRE BAD!
"Why do we need new phones, anyway?" - UGG! FIRE BAD!

"I'm going to keep using the Avaya phones. I'll talk to VP to make sure you don't take them." - UGG! FIRE BAD!

"My branch has been slow for months and has repeatedly opened tickets and called the helpdesk." - Checked tickets, checked call logs, checked with employees. No contacts made. Sent info to VP.
  • "Oh I don't believe any of that. I'm sure they contacted you even if they say they didn't." - UGG! FIRE BAD!

To be honest, this (and all the silly whiny complaints) was no different to the adjustment the company made to Exchange/Outlook (from Groupwise), but loving christ does it wear down morale to the point where I just want to stare like a zombie at the ceiling for 8 hours.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 11, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

I really wish you had just pointed us to an earlier phone ticket post instead of writing a new one yourself :colbert:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

justlysarcastic posted:

Several tickets came in ... to remove all accesses to the network and applications for half of my level's team :smith:

No idea what happened that caused this for them, but man does it feel weird removing accesses from people I was chatting with not long ago. Not to mention it's my first time having this shift. Makes me feel like I'm cursed or something.
Had they been farting in other peoples' chairs?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Zero VGS posted:

Guess I have to wait until tomorrow then. What is Cisco's rationale behind making us pay for patches to vulnerabilities on their hardware anyways? Just because we will? Who else does business like that? It'd be like GM charging you to recall their busted poo poo.

Because they can, and because if you can't actually get into the SaaS game since your software actually has to live on dedicated physical hardware, making people subscribe to your support contracts is the next best thing, and because they want to get their rightful money from those thieves who steal from the mouths of Cisco's shareholders by picking up used Cisco hardware from eBay instead of buying new.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

nexxai posted:

100% agreed.

Whenever I have to hire IT staff, the guy who dropped out of high school but says "I don't know but I'll Google it" will almost always get the job over the guy who has 10 certs on his resume and thinks he knows everything and tries to bullshit his way through an answer. I intentionally give one or two extremely difficult questions just to see how the guy will react when he doesn't know the answer. If he just keeps talking and talking, it's game over; if he can just admit that he doesn't know and he'll go look it up, he's going to get the job. It shows that he A) knows his limitations, B) isn't afraid to admit to someone that he has limitations, and C) just saved the company a bunch of wasted man hours. Winner winner.

What if they answer everything correctly :colbert:

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Partycat posted:

Sorry, phone posting, it went through. Could be firewall blocking media, or if they are from real people than who knows. We get people who manage to get their work phone entered as a notification device. They get a mail, the system calls and says they have mail. Unfortunately it will leave itself voicemail to that effect, which triggers a new notification...

Yeah.

They were real messages left by real people, confirmed on many occasions, with the occasional hang-up that didn't disconnect properly mixed in. I inherited that whole setup and by all indications it had been jacked up for a while. This was over a year ago though, and now we're perfectly happy with our new Shoretel system.

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

It was as close as I could get it.
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

I just got a stack of 10 brand new Latitude E6400 on my desk. They were bought for a project in 2008, used once, and then put away in a locker. I expect all the batteries to be shot after being out of use for so long, but they are pretty little time capsules.

I had a good chuckle at this post since the Dell Latitude E6400 line of laptops is still one of the workhorse laptops we use where I work. I still have about 500 Dell Latitude D630's in active use as well. Our workhorse desktops are HP Compaq dc5750's from 2006.

The joys of working for a school district... I could/should write a few posts on the things I have encountered at this job so far!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Farecoal posted:

What if they answer everything correctly :colbert:
:shrug: I guess I'll have to figure that out if it ever happens.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

This Name was Planned posted:

I had a good chuckle at this post since the Dell Latitude E6400 line of laptops is still one of the workhorse laptops we use where I work. I still have about 500 Dell Latitude D630's in active use as well. Our workhorse desktops are HP Compaq dc5750's from 2006.

The joys of working for a school district... I could/should write a few posts on the things I have encountered at this job so far!

At least the D630s and E6400s are good workhorses, and very easy to service and repair. They also respond well to more memory and faster harddrives/SSDs if you can get your hands on them.

We just got our first load of the new E6440s, and the design is tons more prettier, if a bit more anonymous than the E6420/E6430. Our only 12" option now is the E7240, which is pretty nice.

We wanted to try out a couple of the E7440 14" ultrabook. Our Dell rep kept claiming that our only storage option was a PCIe minicard SSD, while I wanted a 2,5" SSD, because all the pictures I found of the model online clearly showed the space for it. We get shipped a couple of the laptops, and I tear off the bottom cover. In the 2,5" space is a PCIe card sitting in a 2,5" frame with an adapter to the SATA connector on the motherboard.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

My new department is 40% women, which is awesome and so far above industry average I seriously wondered if HR had included another department in ours when making the chart.

I have an extra 15 minutes to work every day, but my work week is Mon-Wed 08:00-15:30, Thursdays 08:00-17:00, and Fridays 08:00-13:30. I'm not complaining.

My current machine is a Dell Latitude E6400. A Centrino 2 machine.. but at least that's just until my "real" laptop arrives. Dell sent the invoice, but no machine yet. It should be some i7 with 16 GB RAM. Monitor wise we're all using dual 24" Dell P2414h which are pretty nice.

The IT crew is a lovely bunch of mixed nerds with the right mix of humor and serious business. It's a sign of a nice atmosphere when I drive to and from work with a smile on my face.

As for hardware the politicians decided that they knew better than the IT department and forced a migration to Hyper-V and Citrix VDI back in 2012. Citrix is OK, but Hyper-V sucks balls compared to VMware. To top it all off it turns out that TCO for VMware is on-par with Hyper-V, so when 2016 comes around and we're looking to upgrade again the CTO is dead-set of kicking the politicians into a bloody pulp to get back to VMware. ..which brings me to the CTO. He's a tough ol' nail who's been in public service less than a year. He got headhunted from a major national energy company and is just now getting used to working in a politically lead organization. His views on IT can be boiled down to "It takes money to make money" and while he's not exactly throwing it around he's not afraid to spend some dough to solve problems. I like him.

Building wise I'm back in an old building that's not at all designed to be an IT department. Some time in the early 1900s the municipality outgrew the old city hall, and absorbed the neighboring police station, which is where IT is housed right now. This means two-man offices for everyone, a great view of the town square, old cells below ground for storage and server rooms. (Server rooms have raised floors and automatic pumps with flood-alarms)

Best of all is the huge maintenance window. Scheduled maintenance window is Mon-Fri 17:00-07:00 and all weekend.

So far I love it here.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ticket update came in.

No access to on site equipment.

Someone was throwing "Body Waste" at the field tech from out their window.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Renegret posted:

Ticket update came in.

No access to on site equipment.

Someone was throwing "Body Waste" at the field tech from out their window.

Who put the server room right next to the monkey cage?

(:psyboom: :barf:)

e: In other news, I have a computer in that's exhibiting all the symptoms of being chock-full of viruses, and yet every scan I run on it comes back clean or very nearly clean (only minor poo poo like toolbars or cookies). It's like a 5-pack-a-day smoker going to a doctor coughing up blood and for the doctor to look at his lungs which are perfectly pink and healthy. Except secretly, those aren't his lungs, they're actually giant tumors that replaced his lungs.

The more I'm checking this thing out the more I'm convinced there has to be something ridiculously bad on here, I just can't find it. :psyduck:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 11, 2014

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

President Ark posted:

e: In other news, I have a computer in that's exhibiting all the symptoms of being chock-full of viruses, and yet every scan I run on it comes back clean or very nearly clean (only minor poo poo like toolbars or cookies). I

What symptoms?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

President Ark posted:

Who put the server room right next to the monkey cage?

(:psyboom: :barf:)

Field tech for an ISP. I guess the guy was upset that his cable went out and decided it would be a good idea to throw poo poo at the guy trying to fix it? I'm not sure.

That department is total poo poo at updating tickets properly so I don't have nearly as much information as I'd like :(. All I know is that they dispatched a second tech to help out. I'd like to imagine the second tech ran around playing decoy while the first climbed the utility pole and worked.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crowley posted:

My new department is 40% women, which is awesome and so far above industry average I seriously wondered if HR had included another department in ours when making the chart.

I have an extra 15 minutes to work every day, but my work week is Mon-Wed 08:00-15:30, Thursdays 08:00-17:00, and Fridays 08:00-13:30. I'm not complaining.

My current machine is a Dell Latitude E6400. A Centrino 2 machine.. but at least that's just until my "real" laptop arrives. Dell sent the invoice, but no machine yet. It should be some i7 with 16 GB RAM. Monitor wise we're all using dual 24" Dell P2414h which are pretty nice.

The IT crew is a lovely bunch of mixed nerds with the right mix of humor and serious business. It's a sign of a nice atmosphere when I drive to and from work with a smile on my face.

As for hardware the politicians decided that they knew better than the IT department and forced a migration to Hyper-V and Citrix VDI back in 2012. Citrix is OK, but Hyper-V sucks balls compared to VMware. To top it all off it turns out that TCO for VMware is on-par with Hyper-V, so when 2016 comes around and we're looking to upgrade again the CTO is dead-set of kicking the politicians into a bloody pulp to get back to VMware. ..which brings me to the CTO. He's a tough ol' nail who's been in public service less than a year. He got headhunted from a major national energy company and is just now getting used to working in a politically lead organization. His views on IT can be boiled down to "It takes money to make money" and while he's not exactly throwing it around he's not afraid to spend some dough to solve problems. I like him.

Building wise I'm back in an old building that's not at all designed to be an IT department. Some time in the early 1900s the municipality outgrew the old city hall, and absorbed the neighboring police station, which is where IT is housed right now. This means two-man offices for everyone, a great view of the town square, old cells below ground for storage and server rooms. (Server rooms have raised floors and automatic pumps with flood-alarms)

Best of all is the huge maintenance window. Scheduled maintenance window is Mon-Fri 17:00-07:00 and all weekend.

So far I love it here.

Congrats.

What's the big problem you have with Hyper-V? They recently made some major changes in the R2 version and it's looking to be pretty solid.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

A c E posted:

What symptoms?

Slow as poo poo, windows security center is hosed up, command prompt can't be launched outside of safe mode, and the internet connection doesn't work outside of safe mode.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

President Ark posted:

e: In other news, I have a computer in that's exhibiting all the symptoms of being chock-full of viruses, and yet every scan I run on it comes back clean or very nearly clean (only minor poo poo like toolbars or cookies). It's like a 5-pack-a-day smoker going to a doctor coughing up blood and for the doctor to look at his lungs which are perfectly pink and healthy. Except secretly, those aren't his lungs, they're actually giant tumors that replaced his lungs.

The more I'm checking this thing out the more I'm convinced there has to be something ridiculously bad on here, I just can't find it. :psyduck:

Check FF/Chrome extensions.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

Check FF/Chrome extensions.

Nothing.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Reminder to everybody:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Dude... was today your last day?

blackswordca posted:

no, Wednesday is. I am counting the hours at this point

TODAY IS THE DAY

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Check hosts file for fuckery? Or check startup config for suspicious poo poo, and likewise in registry in run/run once?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

Have you run ComboFix? If there's something on there, CF will find it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca I want you to know that I'm auto-refreshing this thread every 60 seconds to hear how your last day has gone.

Please post for my fleeting bittersweet entertainment.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

ConfusedUs posted:

blackswordca I want you to know that I'm auto-refreshing this thread every 60 seconds to hear how your last day has gone.

Please post for my fleeting bittersweet entertainment.

Adding to this refresh party. poo poo not pissing us off... blackswordca's last day at a lovely job!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Well they are having me stay at the client site all day. I'm not even getting an exit interview. I have to leave my equipment at the client site and they will eventually get it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

Well they are having me stay at the client site all day. I'm not even getting an exit interview. I have to leave my equipment at the client site and they will eventually get it.

Get a receipt, signed, for the equipment.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

blackswordca posted:

This Is Entrapment. The client will mysteriously lose your equipment and you'll be on the hook

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

blackswordca posted:

Don't fall for this poo poo you need to give it to your supervisor.

Drop it by your office, have it signed in to someone. Otherwise they are going to hold or take your last paycheck

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 11, 2014

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

ConfusedUs posted:

Get a receipt, signed, for the equipment.

I know this joke is going to be made a hundred times but seriously this is literally entrapment.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Told you they were going to try to find some way to screw him out of his last paycheck/leave payout!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Drop it by your office, have it signed in to someone. Otherwise they are going to hold or take your last paycheck

This is illegal. Even if you've got a billion dollars in company hardware, they cannot withhold your last paycheck.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

AlternateAccount posted:

This is illegal. Even if you've got a billion dollars in company hardware, they cannot withhold your last paycheck.

Read back on the blacksword saga and then ask yourself this question, would they really care about legality?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

AlternateAccount posted:

Even if it is illegal they're most likely more than willing to bet you aren't going to put the time, effort, and money into it. And besides, this company doesn't sound like it is playing by the rules, they could easily back it and say "oh we told him to come pick it up but he never did".

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yep. They would intentionally hold onto it just knowing that blacksword would need to sue to get his money, basically patent extortion style.

Edit ^^^ exactly.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Well if your state is anything like my state, you just put in a call to your labor relations board, tell them someone is withholding pay and they will send someone over to jump up and down on their balls until it gets sorted. It was really, really easy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, get it in writing that you're supposed to leave the equipment there and get whoever you leave it with to sign for it and e-mail your company telling them you left the stuff there as they requested and backup the email.

• Locked thread