Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rukeli
May 10, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyone want to take any bets when Kurdistan is gonna declare itself a state?

Whenever there's a revolution in Baghdad, then perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lawman 0 posted:

If ISIS leaves them alone I think the Autonomous Region is pretty content with things the way they are. Declaring themselves independent will cause a mess with Turkey.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Ok, I was reading an article about the Kurds in Mosul. It kind of indicates that the Kurds are opposing ISIS in Iraq, and their stance is pretty militant. I don't know who Rudaw.net is but if it is propaganda then it is telling. I will try to edit in the article here in a sec.

Rudaw.net/English/middleeast/Iraq/09062024

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

goatse.cx posted:

I thought Saudi Arabia is one of the biggest US allies in the region? They're the ones funding America's nemesis?

Not the Saudi government, but there's probably a lot of rich Saudis and other Gulfies that are content to kick money to ISIS under the table.

Also, if ISIS starts going after the Kurds or getting close to Arbil, this is going to enter a whole new level of messiness. The Kurds possess one of the few fighting forces in Iraq that is committed and is somewhat professional, and they won't tear off their uniforms and run away like a bunch of poorly-paid conscripts.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

goatse.cx posted:

I thought Saudi Arabia is one of the biggest US allies in the region? They're the ones funding America's nemesis?

Saudi Arabia's engaged in a cold war with Iran, and they've never cared about how their policy harms others. Also, certain wealthy individuals within the kingdom jump at the opportunity to spread their incredibly toxic brand of fundamentalism wherever they can, whenever they can.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Torpor posted:

I think there are other factors involved as well. Mosul is partly Kurdish isn't it? I imagine it probably has oil near it. There is no better way to line your pocket than with oil and popular support.

One thing I am not clear on is whether the Kurdish party that opposes barzani (and controls Syrian Kurdish areas) is friendly with ISIS. I think the Syrian Kurds signed some kind of peace deal with ISIS. If Barzani's opponents support ISIS then Barzani is going to want to take Mosul. I think he has already threatened to take action with the peshmerga.

I would imagine that he might sabre rattle for the moment, and if the Iraqi state looks like it is kaput then he will move in to secure territory.

Edit: I am on a phone I am sorry. :eng99:

The PYD have been fighting ISIS for a long time now, they did sign a temporary ceasfire earlier in the year but fighting has started back up again with ISIS carrying out raids on Kurdish villages. The PYD were doing quite a good job holding back ISIS last year but cracks have started to appear in their defences and they are struggling to hold all of their territory.

I would be surprised if Barzani decided to send the Peshmerga into Mosul, there is a Kurdish presence in the city (largely Shabaks who Kurdish nationalists consider Kurdish, but who don't always consider themselves to be Kurdish) but it would be a pretty divisive move that could further provoke ethnically motivated attacks. The Peshmerga are better disciplined and trained than the majority of the Iraqi army but trying to winkle ISIS out of Mosul would sap their forces considerably and leave Kurdistan vulnerable to attack. The KRG are making plenty of noise about it but at the moment the seem to be content at hanging back at the provincial border and providing aid to fleeing refugees. They may cross into Nineveh and bunker down in some of the disputed territories in the Nineveh plains though, the KRG has long desired chunks of the plains to be incorporated into Kurdistan. If the situation in Kirkuk deteriorates further that's another story though, I could see the Peshmerga being sent there.

Lawman 0 posted:

Kurdistan, Kosovo of the East. That would be an interesting diplomatic poo poo-storm to say the least.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

suboptimal posted:

Not the Saudi government, but there's probably a lot of rich Saudis and other Gulfies that are content to kick money to ISIS under the table.

When the country is a monarchy and many of those rich Saudis are related to the monarchy it can get hard to distinguish what is and is not backed by the government.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
ISIL is claiming to have just taken Hawijah, Iraqi Army has reportedly withdrawn. This is very close to Kirkuk, so expect increased Pashmerga activity.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

kustomkarkommando posted:

The PYD have been fighting ISIS for a long time now, they did sign a temporary ceasfire earlier in the year but fighting has started back up again with ISIS carrying out raids on Kurdish villages. The PYD were doing quite a good job holding back ISIS last year but cracks have started to appear in their defences and they are struggling to hold all of their territory.

I would be surprised if Barzani decided to send the Peshmerga into Mosul, there is a Kurdish presence in the city (largely Shabaks who Kurdish nationalists consider Kurdish, but who don't always consider themselves to be Kurdish) but it would be a pretty divisive move that could further provoke ethnically motivated attacks. The Peshmerga are better disciplined and trained than the majority of the Iraqi army but trying to winkle ISIS out of Mosul would sap their forces considerably and leave Kurdistan vulnerable to attack. The KRG are making plenty of noise about it but at the moment the seem to be content at hanging back at the provincial border and providing aid to fleeing refugees. They may cross into Nineveh and bunker down in some of the disputed territories in the Nineveh plains though, the KRG has long desired chunks of the plains to be incorporated into Kurdistan. If the situation in Kirkuk deteriorates further that's another story though, I could see the Peshmerga being sent there.

Kurdistan, Kosovo of the East. That would be an interesting diplomatic poo poo-storm to say the least.

Thank you for your input. I think you are right about their position
I don't think the Kurds are going to use this to agitate for independence, however, it might be an opportunity to attempt to get concessions from the central government as to the peshmerga. I think the central government wants them lumped into the Iraqi army. There appears to be an issue, conveniently for the Kurds, where the Iraqi army ran away and Mosul is occupied by militants. Of course what actually happens depends upon a great many factors including whether the Kurdish leadership actually gives a poo poo about Mosul, and whether the Kurdish leadership thinks they can actually win in a fight.

They(the Iraqi Kurds), quite reasonably, seem to not want to actually take military action in the region. The political tides would probably need to shift to the point that Barzani and others feel like they have no recourse but to act. They do not seem particularly interested in acting opportunistically in a militant way.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

JSARSOM posted:

Yeah partly,

Somewhere in the Pentagon a PR officer is screaming.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If ISIS wants Kirkuk, the last thing the Kurds care about is autonomy. The Iraqi army kind of up and walked away despite Mosul being a critical economic hub. I highly doubt the Kurds would do the same thing in Kirkuk. That could be a bitter fight, because Kirkuk is very important to the Kurds wealth. As far as the peshmerga marching to Mosul, Kurds typically take care of their own first. They re-took Rabia, but that was it for the counter-offensive.

I would also say Maliki probably isn't in a good position to start making power grabs, because Baghdad isn't getting any further away from the ISIS front line. It IS a state of emergency.

Bait and Swatch posted:

There's a solidified command structure, Abu Dua is the current leader and has quite an impressive resume. All see if I can find the link, but I read a great article on the metrics ISIL has been using to gauge their effectiveness.

Bit more in depth.

quote:

In the space of a year he has become the most powerful jihadi leader in the world, and on Monday night his forces captured Mosul, the northern capital of Iraq. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, also known as Abu Dua, the leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis) has suddenly emerged as a figure who is shaping the future of Iraq, Syria and the wider Middle East.

He began to appear from the shadows in the summer of 2010 when he became leader of al-Qa’ida in Iraq (AQI) after its former leaders were killed in an attack by US and Iraqi troops. AQI was at a low point in its fortunes, as the Sunni rebellion, in which it had once played a leading role, was collapsing. It was revived by the revolt of the Sunni in Syria in 2011 and, over the next three years by a series of carefully planned campaigns in both Iraq and Syria. How far al-Baghdadi is directly responsible for the military strategy and tactics of ISIS, once called AQI, is uncertain: former Iraqi army and intelligence officers from the Saddam era are said to play a crucial role, but are under al-Baghdadi’s overall leadership.

There are disputes over his career depending on whether the source is ISIS itself, US or Iraqi intelligence but the overall picture appears fairly clear. He was born in Samarra, a largely Sunni city north of Baghdad, in 1971 and is well educated. With black hair and brown eyes, a picture of al-Baghdadi taken when he was a prisoner of the Americans in Bocca Camp in southern Iraq between 2005 and 2009, makes him look like any Iraqi man in his thirties.

His real name is believed to be Awwad Ibrahim Ali al-Badri al-Samarrai, who has degrees in Islamic Studies, including poetry, history and genealogy, from the Islamic University of Baghdad. He may have been an Islamic militant under Saddam as a preacher in Diyala province, to the north east of Baghdad, where, after the US invasion of 2003, he had his own armed group. Insurgent movements have a strong motive for giving out misleading information about their command structure and leadership, but it appears al-Baghdadi spent five years as prisoner of the Americans.

Fighters from ISIS marching in Raqqa, Syria (AP) Fighters from ISIS marching in Raqqa, Syria (AP)
After the old AQI leadership was killed in April 2010, al-Baghdadi took over and AQI became increasingly well organised, even issuing detailed annual reports over the last two years, itemising its operations in each Iraqi province. Recalling the fate of his predecessors as AQI leader, he insisted on extreme secrecy, so few people knew where he was. AQI prisoners either say they have never met him or, when they did, that he was wearing a mask.

Taking advantage of the Syrian civil war, al-Baghdadi sent experienced fighters and funds to Syria to set up Jabhat al-Nusra as al-Qa’ida’s affiliate in Syria. He split from it last year, but remains in control of a great swathe of territory in northern Syria and Iraq. Against fragmented and dysfunctional opposition, he is moving fast towards establishing himself as Emir of new Islamic state.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/mosul-emergency-who-is-abu-bakr-albaghdadi-9523070.html

ISIS leadership is mostly old Iraqi and Syrian intelligence and military.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Maliki was talking about arming civilians to fight, which makes me think that his counterattack strategy might be to let the Shiite militias off their leash.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Best Friends posted:

We spent tens if not hundreds of billions, and thousands of lives. Effort was never our problem.

Hundreds of billions? More like two trillion USD, and that's still going to climb from the VA costs associated with it.

JT Jag posted:

If ISIS leaves them alone I think the Autonomous Region is pretty content with things the way they are. Declaring themselves independent will cause a mess with Turkey.

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to say that Iraqi Kurds are probably friendlier with Turkey at this point than Baghdad. Keep in mind they're shipping oil from Iraq through Turkey despite Baghdad's protests.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014
Isn't almost all Sunni Arab territory in Iraq outside Maliki's control by now?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ISIS just did a little press release thing, and they claim their next target is Hawija, a town just 30 miles south of Kirkuk.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
How is ISIS such a formidable force? Most reports estimate they have a maximum of 5,000 fighters.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

How is ISIS such a formidable force? Most reports estimate they have a maximum of 5,000 fighters.

I thought the current count was 25,000 now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

TheIllestVillain posted:

They seem to be organized. Other people here know more than me, but effective communication and logistics can really multiply the effectiveness of an armed force. If they can move their forces very efficiently, they can make it seem like they're everywhere at once.

This also fits in the broader context of the Iraqi civil war. It isn't called that by the media, but its been in that state for like a year if not longer, in my opinion. The Sunni areas have been resisting the largely Shia rule from Baghdad for years now; the locals are probably not going to fight for the central army, even if ISIS aren't their favorite people.

I don't think ISIS can really hold all this territory that they're taking, but they can sure cause a poo poo storm while they capture it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I thought the current count was 25,000 now.

It must be so difficult to get reliable numbers on this sort of thing. ISIS, like any rebel group, has a lot to gain from inflating its numbers. Just as governments or competing rebels will downplay the number.

And few things attract recruits like success. They've probably picked up hundreds or thousands more fighters in just these past few days. How long they'll stick around is another story.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
ISIS fighters have high morale and motivation too. That really becomes apparent when they go up against the ARVN-esque Iraqi Army.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
If they turn the majority of the Sunni tribes, they just have to administer the area they call their caliphate. As long as the region is in chaos, the tribes won't turn on them once they have them under their thumb. This whole thing is turning into the crisis predicted by nearly everyone who watches the region.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

If they turn the majority of the Sunni tribes, they just have to administer the area they call their caliphate. As long as the region is in chaos, the tribes won't turn on them once they have them under their thumb. This whole thing is turning into the crisis predicted by nearly everyone who watches the region.

While this is not a positive development, I think that as soon as ISIS starts doing anything resembling governing they are prone to immediate gently caress-ups. And unlike some parts of Syria they won't be impressing people by distributing pita and gas in an orderly fashion. I would say this bodes very poorly for the Maliki government and the region's stability, but sharia law / caliphate as implemented by ISIS seems untenable anywhere that's not all 20-something men with a deathwish and heavy weapons.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The weird upshot on this is that once again the United States and Iran have been forced by circumstances into being on the same side in a middle-east crisis. Strange bedfellows, huh.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So how likely is it that Iraq will Syria-ify now? This Mosul stuff is deeply unsettling. Do we have a word yet for when things become what Syria is? Balkanize?

Also this sounds dumb but I've gotten consistently slamming Middle East reporting from the Foreign Policy email list, it's the only email list I actually read every day:

http://id.foreignpolicy.com/identit...&KeepThis=true&

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I really really hate these ISIS fucks, they're the main reason why the Iraqi resistance against the American occupation failed, they were such a bunch of horrible cavemen shitheads they destroyed peoples willingness to support them and because most of their efforts was in hijacking the resistance they pushed the tribesmen right into Patraeus's hands, since what they were offering was far worse than foreign occupation, which is a rather incredible achievement of such amazing stupidity. The fact that they're back and doing all this just kills me because theyre just such a horrible bunch of people no way people would want to have them rule even over a sectarian mass murdering dog like Maliki. Like being moderately better than maliki is such a simple thing to do yet the people who are winning against him now are the worst people on earth, what a poo poo situation.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Remember back in the day, when ISIS was a force of a few hundred trying to establish itself in Syria, and everyone said they could never hold anything because the West would have none of it? Good times.

NYT had a good piece describing the context of the Iraqi army desertions in Mosul. The jist is that this wasn't the one time they were called to action and they couldn't hack it. They've been getting slaughtered with no long term goals for years, and the desertions have been a growing problem as people are just getting tired. They were losing 300 soldiers a day before Mosul even happened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/world/middleeast/exhausted-and-bereft-iraqi-soldiers-quit-fight.html?_r=0

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

illrepute posted:

The weird upshot on this is that once again the United States and Iran have been forced by circumstances into being on the same side in a middle-east crisis. Strange bedfellows, huh.

And strangely enough, in a roundabout way due to Saudi actions.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a bunch of vehicle abandoned outside Mosul by the Iraqi army

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9Z8_8ZWvg

More footage from Mosul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTkk0QdeCyE

Abandoned uniforms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCFfY98XEFI

Mosul this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZawjvRlBdOg

Supposedly a Kurdish deserter explaining what happened in Mosul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1QbEB_LnE

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 11, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Episode II of the Internet State of Iraq and al-Sham podcast here

quote:

In the second episode Jonathan speaks with "freelance" jihadi Abu Bakr (LifeOfMujahid on Twitter) about the withdraw of ISIS from Idlib, and the reaction of the locals after the withdrawal.

Part 1 of a new Vice News film on Daraa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86yvb2VEqDA

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 11, 2014

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

illrepute posted:

I was about to write a post about how much sense rapprochement with Iran would make post-9/11, but on the other hand such a powerful alliance would probably be worse for the Middle East in the long run.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mosul's governor just acknowledge ISIS stole millions of dollars from Mosul's central bank. Some sources have claimed it's close to half a billion dollars.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 11, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

New photos from ISIS show them knocking a hole through the Ninawa (Iraq)-Hasakah (Syria) border and driving capture Iraqi army vehicles into Syria.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

illrepute posted:

Yes, I'm quite curious to see what if anything comes of this. It bodes well for the nuclear negotiations, at least.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Aymenn Jawad al-Tamimi has just done a piece for my blog on why Mosul isn't just about ISIS, Saraya al-Madina al-Munawara: A Revived Iraqi Insurgent Brand.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Apparently ISIS captured the Turkish consulate today and they kidnapped around 30 people, including the consul. The security forces of the consulate surrendered without a fight.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I see Tikrit is currently under attack, photos from ISIS claim to show their fighters already inside the city.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I see Tikrit is currently under attack, photos from ISIS claim to show their fighters already inside the city.

This is now getting worrying and looking less like a raid and more like all out war/overthrow. At the pace they are going they could conceivably be at Baghdad by the weekend, hopefully this will be enough to force the Iraqi army to start offering them some significant resistance.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some reports from Iraq Tikrit has already fallen to ISIS (for example here).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ukle posted:

This is now getting worrying and looking less like a raid and more like all out war/overthrow. At the pace they are going they could conceivably be at Baghdad by the weekend, hopefully this will be enough to force the Iraqi army to start offering them some significant resistance.

There is no way they can take Baghdad because the sectarian presence will turn into a super meat grinder. That and I doubt America and Iran are gonna let them win willy nilly. If this had been a more benevolent force then yeah Baghdad would be in trouble but because it's loving alqaeda the Shiites will fight with everything they've got. I'm honestly shocked by how much they've gotten this far.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
http://justpaste.it/kasr_hodod

Mark Sykes am cry

• Locked thread