Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kidcoelacanth posted:

For my money, Luann is the worst comic posted in this thread. And that's saying something when it has to compete with Nancy.
Luann isn't terrible 100% of the time though. When it is bad it's worse than Nancy, but even then I'd say 9 Chickweed Lane and Pibgorn are easily worse. And there's also Monty, Mike du Jour, Non Sequitur, Zippy the Pinhead, Rose is Rose, Mother Goose & Grimm, Piranha Club... When it comes to awful, awful comics we're spoiled for choice. Luann's not on that lowest level, it's in the level above that with the likes of Dustin, Funky Winkerbean and Foob.

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith

The expressions in that last panel are fantastic. You'd assume that Loweezy was joking except that she looks absolutely devastated and Elviney seems about to cry.

Buni

Musta hevonen (Dark Side of the Horse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tiggum posted:

Luann isn't terrible 100% of the time though. When it is bad it's worse than Nancy, but even then I'd say 9 Chickweed Lane and Pibgorn are easily worse. And there's also Monty, Mike du Jour, Non Sequitur, Zippy the Pinhead, Rose is Rose, Mother Goose & Grimm, Piranha Club... When it comes to awful, awful comics we're spoiled for choice. Luann's not on that lowest level, it's in the level above that with the likes of Dustin, Funky Winkerbean and Foob.

Oh, god, no, Luann is way worse than Dustin, Funky, and Foob. At least those are readable and well-drawn, Luann is annoying and looks like garbage. The only thing that saves it from being bottom-tier is that it doesn't actively piss me off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

Is that normal for service animals? A weather emergency would be a bad time for a service dog to have a freakout.

It's FW. The dog has an incurable brain tumor.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

This would be just a few months before Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David put The Seinfeld Chronicles together.

:rimshot:

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Hershey Process milk chocolate used in these bars is cheaper to make than other types of chocolate as it is less sensitive to the freshness of the milk. The process was developed by Milton Hershey and was the first mass-produced chocolate in the United States. As a result, the Hershey flavor is widely recognized in the United States and Canada, but less so internationally, in particular in areas where European chocolates are more widely available. The process is a trade secret, but experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the US public has become accustomed.

So as I understand it, soured milk; yummy! :barf:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

There's something vaguely offensive about these and I'm not sure if it's the incessant otherizing of foreign cultures or that almost every factoid is the equivalent of the Van Halen M&M story people pass around.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Howard the Duck

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

The Hershey Process milk chocolate used in these bars is cheaper to make than other types of chocolate as it is less sensitive to the freshness of the milk. The process was developed by Milton Hershey and was the first mass-produced chocolate in the United States. As a result, the Hershey flavor is widely recognized in the United States and Canada, but less so internationally, in particular in areas where European chocolates are more widely available. The process is a trade secret, but experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the US public has become accustomed.

So as I understand it, soured milk; yummy! :barf:

I hear some people even eat sour cream, and there's apparently this stuff called "yoghurt"...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I hear some people even eat sour cream, and there's apparently this stuff called "yoghurt"...

OK smart rear end, go ahead and eat a Hershey bar, I dare you, I double-loving dare you; that poo poo is nasty.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 11, 2014

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Indolent Bastard posted:

OK smart rear end, go ahead and eat a Hershey bar, I dare you, I double-loving dare you.

I live in the US born and raised and I love chocolate.
I'm a grown-rear end woman and I drink chocolate milk (1% milk of course) at least every other day and go through about two bags of Dove a month.
Hershey's chocolate is godawful. Even a single Hershey's kiss is too much. You might as well buy Palmer.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I live in the US born and raised and I love chocolate.
I'm a grown-rear end woman and I drink chocolate milk (1% milk of course) at least every other day and go through about two bags of Dove a month.
Hershey's chocolate is godawful. Even a single Hershey's kiss is too much. You might as well buy Palmer.

:hfive:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I could go for a Hershey bar right now, to be honest.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Ah, the Wildlife Agency people are counting moose from a helicopter
- This one would fit well on this house's yard

Laskea means both "to count" and "to lower/drop".

Fok_It

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

OK smart rear end, go ahead and eat a Hershey bar, I dare you, I double-loving dare you; that poo poo is nasty.

You're getting pretty angry about someone else liking bad chocolate!

Also, looks like "sundae" is just something totally unrelated that sounds the same. So.. yeah. Believe it or not!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

You're getting pretty angry about someone else liking bad chocolate!

Also, looks like "sundae" is just something totally unrelated that sounds the same. So.. yeah. Believe it or not!

I'm a Canadian trapped in a land of bad chocolate. I grew up on British confectioneries, this American stuff is just so awful, and most of them love it so much.

100 Grand, Baby Ruth, Hershey's, it's not chocolate, it shouldn't even be listed as food. It is starvation time, "We already ate the dog, so we might as well try this stuff" food.

I may be drifting into hyperboyle

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm a Canadian trapped in a land of bad chocolate. I grew up on British confectioneries, this American stuff is just so awful, and most of them love it so much.

100 Grand, Baby Ruth, Hershey's, it's not chocolate, it shouldn't even be listed as food. It is starvation time, "We already ate the dog, so we might as well try this stuff" food.

I may be drifting into hyperboyle

As an obese American Poor who has managed to get ahold of actual chocolate from places the aren't the US on occasion, I can confirm that our "chocolate" is, in fact, disgusting trash masquerading as candy.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Buncha Harvard Chocolate Elitists up in this thread I see.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Oh, Brother

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

kidcoelacanth posted:

I just keep a bar of baker's chocolate around and nibble on a square when I get a craving.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Duh, stay out of Riverdale.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidcoelacanth posted:

As long as it has the blood of African children and a sprinkling of lead, it's good enough for me!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Hey it aint nobody's business. :colbert:

I disagree. :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Wait, what? Did Monty get really bad recently or something? I remember it being hit-and-miss at worst when I kept up with it.

quote:

Buni

:lol: This owns.

e:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 12, 2014

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Why is Quill there??

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, what? Did Monty get really bad recently or something? I remember it being hit-and-miss at worst when I kept up with it.

I've always felt Monty was one of the better daily, US newspaper comics posted here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Humanoid Female posted:

Why is Quill there??

Good question. I forgot he doesn't go to school with them anymore. I guess so did Greg!

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Monty's definitely one of the better still-running comics in this thread. The rich kid strips aren't great but they only seem to run for a week or two.

Since I'm posting I'd just like to say that I'm enjoying the Rock N Roll History comic. The middle panel of the Frank Zappa strip is just wonderful.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

BribingRenting an entire police force must have wiped out all of Warbuck's pocket money.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

This has been another public service announcement from the man with no imagination.

Pibgorn

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well since something funny officially came out of it, I feel compelled to say that yesterday's Nancy was just a mild edit. Gilchrist didn't actually use the word thong.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Now this is awesome.

Monty is not. Monty sucks. Monty makes me want to punch something. Some strips are worse written, but I doubt any are uglier.

Geech was solid black on May 8, 2000.

Finally, if you live near an Aldi, you can get good German/Austrian chocolate at Hershey's prices.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's almost somehow worse when it's just a gag a day strip and not...I don't even know how to describe what Nancy is most of the time now.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Cousin Oliver agrees.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

"For God's sake have you seen how brown their skin is!"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
These gag-a-day strips just kind of illustrate the main reason why Gilchrist is bad at Nancy. He doesn't get it.

Bushmiller Nancy used a lot of silly sight gags and visual puns, but they weren't simplistic. They were always unexpected or surreal in some way or another. Gilchrist gets the "sight gags and visual puns" part, kinda, but he doesn't get what made Bushmiller's implementation work, and so he cocks it up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

BribingRenting an entire police force must have wiped out all of Warbuck's pocket money.

Are we supposed to know who The Great Am is? And is he saying Dick Tracy looks like Alley Oop?

don Jaime posted:

Monty sucks. Monty makes me want to punch something. Some strips are worse written, but I doubt any are uglier.

WuMo?

Buckles

What? :confused:

Family Circus

Pluggers

What does grandpa plugger even think "tablet" means? Before they were computers the only thing I ever heard referred to as a tablet was a pill or a flat stone with writing on.

• Locked thread