Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
And the winner for most misleading title once again goes to News Corpse

(Abbott is giving Obama, a native of Hawaii, a loving surfboard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ler posted:

(Abbott is giving Obama, a native of Hawaii*, a loving surfboard)

*Allegedly. :freep:

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
From here, the recent copyright change push is due to the Korea - Australian Free Trade agreement, as well as the Australia-US and Australia-Singapore Free Trade Agreements :

Australian Treaty National Interest Analysis

quote:

Implementation

17. To implement KAFTA in Australia, amendments need to be made to the Customs Act 1901, the Customs Tariff Act 1995 and relevant customs regulations such as the Customs Regulations 1926. New customs regulations need to be enacted for the product specific rules of origin set out in Annex 3-A of KAFTA. The Foreign Acquisition and Takeovers Regulations 1989 will also require amendment to incorporate the new threshold for screening investment proposals by ROK investors at $1,078 million (subject to lower thresholds for sensitive sectors). The Life Insurance Regulations 1995 will require amendment in order to implement the agreement reached in respect of life insurance, whereby ROK life insurers will be able to operate in Australia through branches rather than subsidiaries. Consistent with Australia’s existing obligations in the Australia-US and Australia-Singapore FTAs, and to fully implement its obligations under KAFTA, the Copyright Act 1968 will require amendment in due course to provide a legal incentive for online service providers to cooperate with copyright owners in preventing infringement due to the High Court’s decision in Roadshow Films Pty Ltd v iiNet Ltd, which found that ISPs are not liable for authorising the infringements of subscribers.

18. The remainder of Australia’s obligations under KAFTA do not require any legislative or regulatory amendments. The impact of KAFTA on States and Territories is outlined at Attachment 1 (Consultation).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ler posted:

And the winner for most misleading title once again goes to News Corpse

(Abbott is giving Obama, a native of Hawaii, a loving surfboard)

Wow, the headline, paper and man pictured are all offensive and stupid. Congrats guys, a trifecta!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tirade posted:

Not always. Although it's easy to think of the Libs as moustache-twirling cartoon villains, a lot of them truly believe that they're doing the right thing for Australia. Almost no-one wakes up in the morning thinking "I'm an evil person, let's see what dastardly things I can do today!".

At the absolute best they are guilty of wilfully maintaining ignorance of the consequences of their actions. At the worst they are guilty of literal treason and should be put up against a wall and shot.

Personally I would argue that wilful ignorance in a position of such responsibility is also treasonous.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

At the absolute best they are guilty of wilfully maintaining ignorance of the consequences of their actions. At the worst they are guilty of literal treason and should be put up against a wall and shot.

Personally I would argue that wilful ignorance in a position of such responsibility is also treasonous.

Don't think I'm trying to excuse their actions. It's just that automatically defaulting to "they're greedy evil fucks!" really simplifies their motivations, and that of the people that vote for them. It's at the same level as "they hate us for our freedom!". If it was as simple as that then it wouldn't be too hard to convince Australians to never vote for LNP ever again.

Unless of course you think that roughly 50% of Australians are also greedy evil fucks, in which case why bother yourself with politics at all?

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
I'm getting lazy, URL says it all.
Also being pregnant is not an excuse for being unemployed. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/jobless-pregnant-women-face-same-wait-for-income-support-as-under-30s?commentpage=1

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Ler posted:

Also being pregnant is not an excuse for being unemployed. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/jobless-pregnant-women-face-same-wait-for-income-support-as-under-30s?commentpage=1

Holy cow. My wife gets horrendous morning sickness that lasts all pregnancy and she's pretty much a disabled person for a portion of it. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who got knocked up by accident and didn't have someone to support them.

I wanna turn into the hulk or something.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Konomex posted:

I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who got knocked up by accident and didn't have someone to support them.

Well then they should just keep their legs closed! :shepface:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tirade posted:

Don't think I'm trying to excuse their actions. It's just that automatically defaulting to "they're greedy evil fucks!" really simplifies their motivations, and that of the people that vote for them. It's at the same level as "they hate us for our freedom!". If it was as simple as that then it wouldn't be too hard to convince Australians to never vote for LNP ever again.

Unless of course you think that roughly 50% of Australians are also greedy evil fucks, in which case why bother yourself with politics at all?

Self interest, how does it work?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, for gently caress's sake:
http://www.afr.com/p/national/education/tony_abbott_backs_us_style_corporate_esnG60ZXK0h8BtMr2Ip2TO

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Excellent, we can have classes in why unions are evil and your employer really does have your best interests at heart in every lower SES suburb in the country.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tirade posted:

Just a reminder. The people you are attempting to say are not necessarily evil fucks support the torture of children, currently are attempting to burn to the ground the system of higher education that allowed them to get where they are, support the torture of children, want to make young people starve to death for six months each year, SUPPORT THE TORTURE OF CHILDREN, want to make it harder for poor people to receive medical care and SUPPORT THE TORTURE OF CHILDREN

if that doesn't meet your criteria for being villains then personally I would say the problem lies in your definition of a villain.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ler posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Even the US could recognize the importance of pre-natal and early childhood support enough to roll out the WIC program and try to keep them well-fed with decent nutrition. For all of Hockey's talk of "participation", he sure doesn't seem to care about the collateral damage of a child getting their development and mental health permanently stunted before they ever got a chance to participate in anything.

On that debate as to whether politicians are "villains" or not, I think even if they don't actually purposely mean to be evil, this level of complete ignorance would have been grounds for immediate dismissal if they were doing any menial job with far less responsibility than the ones they actually have.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ler posted:

A true class act this Federal Government is. gently caress over asylum seekers, the poor, the pregnant, the old, the unemployed, the public transport user, the primary/secondary public school student, the tertiary student, ummm, I am sure there are more getting hosed over

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
First Peoples, queer people and people with disabilities. :D

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ler posted:

They're obviously scared stiff that their harsh policies will encourage people to just pump out kid after kid in order to get the sweet sweet welfare dollars so they need to make that as difficult as possible. Who cares if there is collateral and a bunch of kids are born with health problems, what really matters is that the rich, LNP donating taxpayer is paying as little as possible.

Could changes to the superannuation loophole pay for the removal of all this poo poo?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Taking personal responsibility begins at conception.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

Taking personal responsibility begins at conception.

It's a pity Hockey didn't take responsibility for the harm he'd later do to Australia and miscarry himself.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

quote:

The government pays for the education, but IBM mentors the students and shapes the curriculum. In return, students who graduate after six years are first in line for consideration for entry level jobs at IBM’.

If the government pays, what's the loving point? Why not just run an actual school?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

If the government pays, what's the loving point? Why not just run an actual school?

Because without corporate guidance how can the government hope to excrete perfectly formed ambition less worker drones at regular intervals. After all, everyone knows the only purpose of education is to get a job. We can finally cut out those useless things like history, media studies and literature from the bloated curriculum.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Fruity Gordo posted:

First Peoples, queer people and people with disabilities. :D

Fat kids
Skinny skinny
Even kids with chicken pox.

Fuckwits! Liberal Fuckwits!
The Tories... who'll... kill us aaaaallllll!:toot:

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 12, 2014

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Because the LNP aren't totally stupid and recognize that a well rounded education threatens children's potential to be future LNP voters.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

In other news, world is fukt:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/11/-sp-el-nino-weather-2014?CMP=soc_567

quote:

India is expected to be the first to suffer, with weaker monsoon rains undermining the nation’s fragile food supply, followed by further scorching droughts in Australia and collapsing fisheries off South America.
"The amount of warm water in the Pacific is now significant, perhaps the biggest since the 1997-98 event.” That El Niño was the biggest in a century, producing the hottest year on record at the time and major global impacts, including a mass die-off of corals.

Good timing really, nothing like a massive drought to remind India that Abbott is being a loving idiot on climate change.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > Auspol June - Oh for gently caress's sake

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Pepsi?"

Why are we even arguing the inherent goodness-gone-awry inside broad swathes of LNP politicians and their dyed-in-the-wool supporters? Does anyone here truly believe that the people hardest hit by the budget are simply the collateral damage of austerity gone mad rather than just targets?

Climate change denial is a safer position to defend at this point.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Goodpart posted:

"Pepsi?"

Why are we even arguing the inherent goodness-gone-awry inside broad swathes of LNP politicians and their dyed-in-the-wool supporters? Does anyone here truly believe that the people hardest hit by the budget are simply the collateral damage of austerity gone mad rather than just targets?

Paging LesAffaires to the thread

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
My child will graduate with First Class Pepsi from the Melbourne Academy of Refreshment

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Goodpart posted:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2014/6/12/policy-politics/abbott-sidestep-un-climate-meeting

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott will not attend a UN-sponsored international conference on climate policy later this year, despite an invitation from UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Fairfax reports.

According to Fairfax, the Prime Minister and Mr Ban met in New York yesterday, the meeting finishing with a carefully worded statement that "glossed over" their climate differences.

The climate summit was timed to precede the annual UN General Assembly session in September in a bid to maximise the involvement of leaders attending that session, and comes toward the end of Australia's chairmanship of the UN Security Council, Fairfax said.

Mr Ban's spokesman on climate change, Dan Thomas, expressed disappointment that Mr Abbott did not rate the issue as the biggest facing the world: ''We think that climate change should be the No.1 priority for all leaders to consider," he said.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Ler posted:

Also being pregnant is not an excuse for being unemployed.

Quite rightly; as a feminist ally I think it's ridiculous to buy into this patriarchal notion that women are less capable than men due to some evo-psych strawman about the delicate pregnant damsel. If we don't challenge these just-so stories about the supposed vulnerability of pregnant women then the misogynists will start pointing to the so called 'realities' of child-bearing to justify the gender pay gap.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

You missed the best bit! According to the tERRORgraph it's the most AUSSSIE PRESSSIE EVAR! A loving malibu surfboard is .. :psyboom:

The Meanesturd for NO ENVIRONMENT was on the ABC drooling on himself this morning:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/environment-minister-greg-hunt/5517546

Highlight:

Meanesturd: That's a gross distortion!

ABC: It's a direct quote.

Learn from you betters read Hypation's posts IWC.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Cartoon posted:

You missed the best bit! According to the tERRORgraph it's the most AUSSSIE PRESSSIE EVAR! A loving malibu surfboard is .. :psyboom:

The Meanesturd for NO ENVIRONMENT was on the ABC drooling on himself this morning:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/environment-minister-greg-hunt/5517546

Highlight:

Meanesturd: That's a gross distortion!

ABC: It's a direct quote.

Learn from you betters read Hypation's posts IWC.

I'm not sure where the controversy is exactly, the people taking issue with pregnant women working (shock horror!) share the same dull suburban conservatism as Abbot himself.

quote:

"I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons."

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Enrolment day with Griffith, what sort of university has one tutorial for a course that is a requirement with three majors in a degree?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Perhaps, IWC, the problem is not that pregnant women are allowed to work, but that pregnant women are forced to work?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

You know what I want heavily pregnant women doing? Operating forklifts and tiling roofs.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

Perhaps, IWC, the problem is not that pregnant women are allowed to work, but that pregnant women are forced to work?

Then why is it more objectionable for them to have to work than men or non-pregnant women?

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Chrodyn posted:

Enrolment day with Griffith, what sort of university has one tutorial for a course that is a requirement with three majors in a degree?

Depending on what degree you are doing, I recommend supplementing your studies through OUA, where courses are not available in certain Semesters or there aren't enough tutorials available. Then transfer the credit across.

My Degree would have taken a full year longer if not for doing that.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

IWC please put your ever-vigilant questioning nature to use, and do an experiment for the good of man's understanding. It might be impossible to replicate the pains and inconveniences of pregnancy, but just to test the concept go crush your dick in a vice and see how much you feel like going to work.

• Locked thread