Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a Twitter list of people tweeting the latest news from Iraq.

This pro-government outlet just claimed Tikrit fell to ISIS.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Another day, another lightning blitz: AFP reporting militants engaging security forces in Samarra now, home to an important Shia shrine and the last major city before Baghdad's suburbs.

I've also seen some analysis suggesting that other Sunni Islamist militias, like the Sufi group and the GMC, have been fighting alongside ISIS. Appears well coordinated.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
This may be a stupid question and/or hyperbole, but are we approaching a World War I situation with the Middle East right now? It seems like Syria's conflict is spilling over into other countries and could conceivably cause a domino effect.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

This may be a stupid question and/or hyperbole, but are we approaching a World War I situation with the Middle East right now? It seems like Syria's conflict is spilling over into other countries and could conceivably cause a domino effect.

If you mean a "triggered alliance system" probably not. If you mean a bitter statement costing many many lives, certainly is possible.

I wonder how many refugees Jordan can take? I wonder what the balance between citizens and refugees at this point is.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Shia militias are on the front lines in Samarra now. This will be a test case for ISIS' advance since it'll likely be the first stiff resistance encountered since taking Mosul.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Chokes McGee posted:

There's only one concievable endgame, now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Man they don't have cores on half of those provinces. :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ah yes, i forgot Portugal still controlled the coast of Angola and Mozambique.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was kinda under the impression that the Iraq army is really just there to hang out and collect paychecks until someone more well-organized or interested in taking their poo poo came in and they'd all just run away and let them do their thing. I also kinda think that's what's gonna happen with Afghanistan, if they even last a year after the US troops finish withdrawing. I'm no expert though.

What I'm wondering now is what exactly is gonna happen in the worst case scenario here? Like if the Iraqi army just dissolves entirely and ISIS rolls in in like a couple weeks. What's their endgame? Are they gonna try to run these countries themselves?

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

Ah yes, i forgot Portugal still controlled the coast of Angola and Mozambique.

And thank God that Austria-Hungary is there to protect Europe from the new Caliphate.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ChairMaster posted:

I was kinda under the impression that the Iraq army is really just there to hang out and collect paychecks until someone more well-organized or interested in taking their poo poo came in and they'd all just run away and let them do their thing. I also kinda think that's what's gonna happen with Afghanistan, if they even last a year after the US troops finish withdrawing. I'm no expert though.

What I'm wondering now is what exactly is gonna happen in the worst case scenario here? Like if the Iraqi army just dissolves entirely and ISIS rolls in in like a couple weeks. What's their endgame? Are they gonna try to run a country or make up a new state or what?

They wont win. Iraq is 60% Shiite and Alqaeda dont have the brains needed to make the classic lesson that to win a guerrilla war you need to appeal to different sides of the society you fight in and be an inclusive, so worst comes to worst a stalemate bloodbath and a splitting of the country.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ChairMaster posted:

Well they're not even getting paid so they're not even doing that well.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

Why stop at India? Why not China if they're taking on nuclear armed, non-muslim countries with populations of more than a billion?

Jesus Horse fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 11, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Al-Saqr posted:

They wont win. Iraq is 60% Shiite and Alqaeda dont have the brains needed to make the classic lesson that to win a guerrilla war you need to appeal to different sides of the society you fight in and be an inclusive, so worst comes to worst a stalemate bloodbath and a splitting of the country.

Yeah, it's impossible to see them making much headway in the Shia provinces. Bigger risk is another sectarian war in Baghdad.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I think the US should have organized an orderly partitioning of Iraq. As we may end up with a disorganized partitioning, with worse outcomes.

So who holds what in Mosul now? I have heard that ISIS holds the western half, but who has the eastern half? I didn't think the peshmerga had surreptitiously taken anywhere near that much of the city, why doesn't ISIS just drive across the river?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
:iamafag:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Xandu posted:

Yeah, it's impossible to see them making much headway in the Shia provinces. Bigger risk is another sectarian war in Baghdad.

Well, once they took Pakistan and Malaysia, they needed to take India and Burma for pretty borders and to avoid a distant overseas penalty, obviously.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So I guess now Bush can poke his head out and say "I told you about that Islamic caliphate."

(Also iPhone voice recognition wants to write "Bush can" as "Bushkin" which is enjoyable to me)

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

New photos from ISIS show them knocking a hole through the Ninawa (Iraq)-Hasakah (Syria) border and driving capture Iraqi army vehicles into Syria.

YPG are claiming that they've captured a number of these vehicles from ISIS. Maybe owning a humvee instead of a Toyota will become the new Mid-East militant status symbol.

SedanChair posted:

So I guess now Bush can poke his head out and say "I told you about that Islamic caliphate."

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

goodog posted:

YPG are claiming that they've captured a number of these vehicles from ISIS. Maybe owning a humvee instead of a Toyota will become the new Mid-East militant status symbol.

At this point I'm waiting for ISIS to start cobbling together tanks from scraps. :v:
Actually didn't Saddam used to make tanks for his army in northern Iraq?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Now would be a good time for some unity amongst the Kurds. Too bad Turkish Kurds are sucking Erdogan's cock, Syrian Kurds are trying not to get shot, and Barzani is just hoping someone will pay him for oil. Meanwhile CNN is talking about Bowe Bergdahl.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm highly skeptical that 500m dollars worth of Iraqi dinars is all that convertible.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Xandu posted:

I'm highly skeptical that 500m dollars worth of Iraqi dinars is all that convertible.

I'm really curious about this too, and the endgame from the ISIS perspective in general. I get that their rank and file are probably the true-believer global-caliphate-or-bust types, but the leadership has to be more pragmatic than that, don't they? At some point they'll run out of steam, and even if they can hold territory they've got to work with the world on some level if they want to spend their stolen money...

And what do the Saudi's have to gain from bankrolling them anyway? Does this really all just boil down to the Sunnis and Shia sticking it to eachother?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm not sure how globally minded they really are, either. aqap was planning global attacks against the west in its infancy, these guys are more regionally focused and probably will be for a while.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Xandu posted:

It's not like a major country in the region was involved in illegal trade involving gold and a highly unsavory nation just a little while ago.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah but even at a steep discount, who wants Iraqi dinars?

It's also becoming clear there are tribal and Baathist elements at work here, we'll see if it's actually ISIS with this money.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
This may just be me, but I am finding the recent articles making ISIL's leader sound like some Takfiri Ninja incredibly obnoxious. He and his group deserve nothing but contempt. The constant references to "Abu Bakr al Baghdadi" are equally vexing, given that his name and picture are widely known. Using his entirely fake kunya is like referencing someone as Big Jim from Detroit in a news article. Or perhaps this is just my frustration with the constantly bad news getting the better of me and making me grumpy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Well their ideology is obviously worthy of contempt, but their military prowess doesn't seem to be in question.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lawman 0 posted:

At this point I'm waiting for ISIS to start cobbling together tanks from scraps. :v:
Actually didn't Saddam used to make tanks for his army in northern Iraq?
Are you saying that ISIS are Orks?

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Xandu posted:

At least one report claimed a decent portion of that $500m was in gold.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mosul-seized-jihadis-loot-429m-citys-central-bank-make-isis-worlds-richest-terror-force-1452190

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Well, at least on Twitter the Turks can cause havoc.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
IA and militia forces reportedly grouping in Taji and building defensive positions. I am guessing this is actual prep work for a counter-attack, since I don't see them giving up Samarra, Balad and Baqubah so easily.

There's also reports of Shiite militia fighting ISIL in Samarra now. I hope they hold them there, the region will go apeshit if ISIL gets control of the Golden Mosque.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Don't forget how brutal the Mahdi army was, this won't end well with Shia militias involved.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

JT Jag posted:

Are you saying that ISIS are Orks?

The black 'uns go (to paradise) fasta!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jonad posted:

The black 'uns go (to paradise) fasta!

You beat me, you thrice-damned cur! :golfclap:

Xandu posted:

Don't forget how brutal the Mahdi army was, this won't end well with Shia militias involved.

What happened to those? I seem to recall Moqtada calling it quits some time ago, but I can't imagine Sadr city just going 'welp', disarming and becoming well adjusted citizens just like that?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some of you might remember footage of a multiple rocket attack on Nawa I posted about a month ago. Well, it seems Israel managed to film the attack from their side of the border, and the IDF produced this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbG0YAg6_1I

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Remember that rocket attack on Nawa we talked about in here a while back? Seems the Israelis caught it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbG0YAg6_1I

e: Dammit BM :argh:

Radio Prune fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 11, 2014

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Kawaii des! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Tias posted:

What happened to those? I seem to recall Moqtada calling it quits some time ago, but I can't imagine Sadr city just going 'welp', disarming and becoming well adjusted citizens just like that?

Sadr's been calling for men to defend Shiite religious sites, so I wouldn't be shocked if the Madhi army gets reformed in some fashion.

• Locked thread