Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cool, scored another stroller in the 2nd hand store, this time for 4.50€, so now we got two of these compact little things, they both fit in our Yaris! And we spent a total of 9.50€ for both :woop:

I had to replace the castor wheel axle on one of them with a bolt but I had all the stuff from before so it was still money well spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You can also try to sneak veggies into muffins and the such if you have the time to bake? I am trying to teach myself to be a better baker/chef and I have been having fun trying to sneak in foods that my kids otherwise wouldn't eat.

We've been doing green smoothies. I know you're not supposed to be giving kids too much juice, but we're willing to trade a cup of orange juice a day if it means he's going to be downing a bunch of spinach and kale along with that juice.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Papercut posted:

We've been doing green smoothies. I know you're not supposed to be giving kids too much juice, but we're willing to trade a cup of orange juice a day if it means he's going to be downing a bunch of spinach and kale along with that juice.

Why can't we give our kids too much juice, the sugar content? Just make them brush their teeth after every meal.

Juice is good for them and is interesting. My kids love apple/cranberry and I'll allow it at lunch time (Though dinner is always milk, I'm firm on that).

And its better than the alternative.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Better than water?

I'm not anti juice my kids get one serving of juice a day but I mean. Water.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cimber posted:

Why can't we give our kids too much juice, the sugar content? Just make them brush their teeth after every meal.

Juice is good for them and is interesting. My kids love apple/cranberry and I'll allow it at lunch time (Though dinner is always milk, I'm firm on that).

And its better than the alternative.

You have to consider caloric content as well. It's not like juice is horrible for kids, but getting them used to drinking juice all the time is not a good habit to form.

And yeah, "better than the alternative" is really weird, since the choice should be between water + whole fruits or juice.

quote:

1. Fruit juice offers no nutritional benefit for infants younger than 6 months.

2. Fruit juice offers no nutritional benefits over whole fruit for infants older than 6 months and children.

3. One hundred percent fruit juice or reconstituted juice can be a healthy part of the diet when consumed as part of a well-balanced diet. Fruit drinks, however, are not nutritionally equivalent to fruit juice.

4. Juice is not appropriate in the treatment of dehydration or management of diarrhea.

5. Excessive juice consumption may be associated with malnutrition (overnutrition and undernutrition).

6. Excessive juice consumption may be associated with diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal distention, and tooth decay.

7. Unpasteurized juice may contain pathogens that can cause serious illnesses.

8. A variety of fruit juices, provided in appropriate amounts for a child's age, are not likely to cause any significant clinical symptoms.

9. Calcium-fortified juices provide a bioavailable source of calcium but lack other nutrients present in breast milk, formula, or cow's milk.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/107/5/1210.full

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My kids don't go to preschool or daycare, so I have been able to keep their liquids confined to milk and water. I am not looking forward to the day they go to school and discover everything awesome that I have been keeping from them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

VorpalBunny posted:

My kids don't go to preschool or daycare, so I have been able to keep their liquids confined to milk and water. I am not looking forward to the day they go to school and discover everything awesome that I have been keeping from them.

Preschool wasn't that bad for my kid. Occasional juice and I think hot cocoa once. That was a school district operated school though maybe private ones are worse. She had soda once when she was with a friend but apparently the bubbles hurt her tongue so I'm gunna let that ride.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
Lil Meltdown is eight months old and apparently has hit and bitten kids at daycare. I want to keep that from happening, obviously, but he doesn't hit or bite at home, so how can I discipline behavior I don't see?
To what extent is hitting and biting normal for a kid his age? He's super active, and mobile, and inquisitive, so sometimes he plays too rough with the lazier/younger babies at daycare.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Uh, he's eight months. At that age they're still in the "I'm trying to figure out how this poo poo works" stage of development. And quite frequently the way they attempt to figure those things out involved putting their mouth on it or clumsily trying to get a hand on it- which usually looks like hitting because they haven't quite mastered that whole gross motor skills thing yet. When "things" means "other babies" all you can do is intervene and either keep your child at a safe distance or distract them into exploring something else. If your daycare isn't doing that, then I'd be more concerned for what they're doing than what your child is doing.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Tourette Meltdown posted:

Lil Meltdown is eight months old and apparently has hit and bitten kids at daycare. I want to keep that from happening, obviously, but he doesn't hit or bite at home, so how can I discipline behavior I don't see?
To what extent is hitting and biting normal for a kid his age? He's super active, and mobile, and inquisitive, so sometimes he plays too rough with the lazier/younger babies at daycare.

Don't punish kids at home for poo poo they do in preschool. You can't even usefully lecture an 8 month old...or a 8 year old for that matter. Just model good, gentle, considerate behavior, and let the daycare do what they are paid to do. A grabby-smashy 8 month old is not a parenting shortfall, it is just an 8 month old.

However, turning a grabby-smashy 8 month old loose on the 6 month olds may indicate a staffing shortfall at daycare, so keep an eye on that. If they are letting the 8 month olds muscle the 6 month olds, are they letting the 2 year olds mix up with the 9 month olds?

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
On the juice front, I just wanted to note that smoothies are not juice. Smoothies are whole foods, crushed up, with liquid. And, as was mentioned, greens can be added for a nutritional boost, as well. My daughter was drinking fresh green smoothies from 8 months on, and she loves them. Our doctor and dietician were both on board. My daughter is almost 5 now, and she happily eats greens every day, which her dad and I attribute to the early and consistent exposure. We have a Vitamix, which I bought ages pre-baby, and it has been the most useful kitchen tool I've ever owned. Like, I'd grab it in a fire on my way out the door useful. Juice may not be as nutritionally sound as fruit, but smoothies can definitely have a place in a healthy diet.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Don't punish kids at home for poo poo they do in preschool. You can't even usefully lecture an 8 month old...or a 8 year old for that matter. Just model good, gentle, considerate behavior, and let the daycare do what they are paid to do. A grabby-smashy 8 month old is not a parenting shortfall, it is just an 8 month old.

However, turning a grabby-smashy 8 month old loose on the 6 month olds may indicate a staffing shortfall at daycare, so keep an eye on that. If they are letting the 8 month olds muscle the 6 month olds, are they letting the 2 year olds mix up with the 9 month olds?

True, but you might need to keep an eye on it. My oldest was kicked out of daycare when he was about 2 because he was biting kids.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sigh I hope this wont become a habit, Daniel woke up at 2AM crying until 3AM, we couldn't get him back to sleep until we tried giving him the bottle and he drank the whole thing and promptly fell asleep. They have both stopped the whole night time feeding over a month ago so I don't want a relapse, it's so nice when they sleep the whole night.

And as if that wasn't enough he'd already woken his twin brother (David) who refused to sleep in his own bed after that (they got their own beds) and spent the night kicking me in the back in his sleep and rotating around like the dial on a clock.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sullat posted:

True, but you might need to keep an eye on it. My oldest was kicked out of daycare when he was about 2 because he was biting kids.

My 11 month old bites when she's happy (it's like a hug, but with teeth!) and when she's frustrated. We've gotten good at anticipating a bite on the way (the delighted squeal when she lounges toward us, mouth gaping wide and a scary gleam in her eye is a pretty good clue), so for now we just grab her and stop her, and give her a biting toy instead. But I have a couple of teeth marks on my calf right now from her just sneaking up behind me and chomping down. She'll start kindergarten this fall, and I'm a little concerned about her biting other kids. Hopefully it's a phase that'll pass. I'm not sure what else we can do for now other than stopping and redirecting (and desperately trying not to react in a way she finds funny, which is hard when you've suddenly got razorsharp teeth sinking into your leg).

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Slo-Tek posted:

This is what I thought, but, you know, might as well ask. They're staffed 2 adults to 8 babies (from 6 weeks to 1 year), which is totally fine when they're all little lumps, but I guess they're in a stage where they can't always feed/change the lumps AND pull my little alligator off babies who are lumping on the floor. But ultimately I don't feel as if it's my issue, since he doesn't do those things at home.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I don't think the caloric content in juice matters a whole lot if a child gets a good amount of exercise. The best part is "exercise" at that age can be running around a park or riding bikes or whatever.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
This is unrelated to everything and not a complaint or advice seeking I just think it's funny.

My little one (16 months) refuses to ever eat her final bite of food. She will desperately clutch it until the heat death of the universe. If you take it away from her somehow and divide it up into smaller pieces she will eat all but one of them and repeat the process. It's like Zeno's paradox of motion but with food.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FishBulb posted:

This is unrelated to everything and not a complaint or advice seeking I just think it's funny.

My little one (16 months) refuses to ever eat her final bite of food. She will desperately clutch it until the heat death of the universe. If you take it away from her somehow and divide it up into smaller pieces she will eat all but one of them and repeat the process. It's like Zeno's paradox of motion but with food.

Zeno's chicken finger.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ynglaur posted:

I don't think the caloric content in juice matters a whole lot if a child gets a good amount of exercise. The best part is "exercise" at that age can be running around a park or riding bikes or whatever.

We watch the juice consumption. Apple Juice has more calories per 8oz serving than Pepsi or Coke. We limit it to one, maybe two servings of Juice a day. Exercise is very important though, I was a fat sedentary kid and I'm hellbent on my kids not being the same.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
If you're worried about your kid drinking too much juice, just water it down. I figure putting in a splash of flavor in his water bottle is easier than listening to him whining about having to drink plain water. On the plus side, it's easy to get him to drink water if you put it in a more interesting container than his usual straw cup (or if you're out of the house).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Re: juicechat, as I understand it one of the biggest issues with small children drinking plain juice, is the acid eating away at their teeth if they drink small sips all the time during the day, like my kid does with water. We sometimes give her watered down juice just for varietys sake, but only in one go, with a meal or a snack. For general thirst quenching throughout the day she has a straw sippy cup of water, which she thankfully loves. She'll rather drink water than formula. (she's on the small side, so we tried packing in the calories by serving her formula to drink alongside food. No go!)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

Baby Einstein jumpers are made by Kids II company, but really Kids II doesn't actually manufacture any parts, they contract it all out to various manufacturers. As such, they have no specific replacement parts section of their website. My understanding is you are supposed to contact Kids II directly through customer service and they will determine how to handle it. (As an aside, that jumper has been recalled due to the sun toy rebounding and smacking babies in the head, resulting in at least one skull fracture). Here's their contact info: http://kidsii.com/contact-us/consumer-service

Customer service got back to me. They refused warranty repair and won't sell replacement parts.

Do you know of anywhere I can get replacement parts?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I started giving my daughter watered down juice when she was 1.5, about 90% water/10% juice. It's jucier now, but if you give her real juice, she'll pucker her face and look at you like you just gave her juice concentrate. Nice middle ground of giving the kid something healthy that tastes good without overloading sugar.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Anyone else find that dinner time is the worst part of the day? What takes my wife and I 10 - 15 minutes to eat takes the kids almost an hour.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Good points re: watering down. My kids actually prefer it. We also don't use juice as something to sip on. If you're eating, you're sitting at a table, so there's no need to walk around holding food or a beverage. Obvious exceptions are made for the occasional long car ride.

Just my 2 cents, of course: every kid and family is different, and needs different things.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Cimber posted:

Anyone else find that dinner time is the worst part of the day? What takes my wife and I 10 - 15 minutes to eat takes the kids almost an hour.

Oh. My. God. Yes.

My toddler has decided to become super picky not only about what she eats but how it is served to her.

Sometimes it has to be on a fork, sometimes it has to be on my fork, sometimes we have to do a choo choo train, and sometimes she needs to take a bite, walk around a bit, take another bite, put some in my mouth, feed some to the cat, throw some on the floor, and then decide she's done.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My 19 month olds have decided that the height of civility is to take your meal as a "picnic" on the floor. My wife was entertaining the other night and I had the kids upstairs with me, so I made a food spread and we ate our dinner on the ground with a picnic cloth under us. Three days later and they refuse to eat any other way.

Some day it will make for an adorable story, but right now they are a huge time bomb of stains just waiting to explode (which is saying something considering the messes they used to make!).

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
how do i get a baby

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Baby's R Us, of course. :rolleyes:

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Customer service got back to me. They refused warranty repair and won't sell replacement parts.

Do you know of anywhere I can get replacement parts?

You might just be hosed on that then. Since it's borrowed, your best bet is probably to check local baby resale and consignment stores for another one. (Ask if they have a wish list, all the ones near me maintain a card catalog of customer requests and will call if they get the desired item in)

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Wife gave birth to our first child on Wednesday - a boy.

Let the exhaustion begin!

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Little man is 14 months old and has decided that sleep is for the weak.

We were doing so well, too! Less than a week ago we were doing our routine, he was going into the cot, going to sleep on his own within 10 minutes, waking before we went to bed for a nappy change and a quick snuggle, and then sleeping until 6:45a. It was a good time! Now.. I don't know if it's separation anxiety or what, but he's freaking out as soon as he's put into the cot. Routine hasn't changed (bath, book, song, cot). The only thing I can think is he's doing some new stuff (waving and saying "byebye!", running, starting to climb on the couch, picking up some simple words) so maybe that's it? I don't know. I'm so tired.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

CelestialScribe posted:

Wife gave birth to our first child on Wednesday - a boy.

Let the exhaustion begin!

Congrats!

Madra De Dhia posted:

Little man is 14 months old and has decided that sleep is for the weak.

We were doing so well, too! Less than a week ago we were doing our routine, he was going into the cot, going to sleep on his own within 10 minutes, waking before we went to bed for a nappy change and a quick snuggle, and then sleeping until 6:45a. It was a good time! Now.. I don't know if it's separation anxiety or what, but he's freaking out as soon as he's put into the cot. Routine hasn't changed (bath, book, song, cot). The only thing I can think is he's doing some new stuff (waving and saying "byebye!", running, starting to climb on the couch, picking up some simple words) so maybe that's it? I don't know. I'm so tired.

Probably. We've gone through several changes in sleep patterns. Your guy is also at the age where he starts realizing that he can protest things he doesn't like, so maybe that's part of it.

Who knows. I've given up on trying to figure any of this out. I just go with the flow and wait for the next change.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hate pants posted:

how do i get a baby

Amazon.com

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

hate pants posted:

how do i get a baby

My sister was a blue light special at a Kmart on the US/Mexico border, per my parents. I would definitely try there.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

hate pants posted:

how do i get a baby

Baby resale shops. They're used, but you pay way less than retail!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

fluppet posted:

Urgh kids have exploded in chicken pox this morning, any suggestions to stop a 4yr old and 1yr old scratching themselves silly?

By the by, you need to vaccinate your kids. They have a vaccine for chicken pox now, and you need to talk to your doctor about any other vaccines your kids should be getting but haven't. Though with those ages, you are annoyingly right under the two ages the vaccine is typically given, so you might have been unlucky. In which case, you should stop hanging around with parents who don't vaccinate their kids.

Bojanglesworth posted:

She isn't a bad mother by any means, she just is a lovely person.

My personal experience is that lovely people are lovely parents. If nothing else, the kids emulate the parents and become lovely people themselves, and one of the goals of parenting is to keep your kids from becoming lovely people.

Volmarias posted:

Amazon.com

When my wife and I announced our first pregnancy to one set of my parents, we actually made up a mock Amazon.com "shipping!" e-mail, printed it out, and used that in the reveal. It worked out pretty well.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Axiem posted:

By the by, you need to vaccinate your kids. They have a vaccine for chicken pox now, and you need to talk to your doctor about any other vaccines your kids should be getting but haven't. Though with those ages, you are annoyingly right under the two ages the vaccine is typically given, so you might have been unlucky. In which case, you should stop hanging around with parents who don't vaccinate their kids.

The chickenpox vaccination is not part of the schedule in the UK.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/chickenpox-vaccine-questions-answers.aspx

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Huh. Good to know. I find it sad that the NHS has to make decisions under the presumption that a significant enough portion of the population won't actually vaccinate, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Axiem posted:

Huh. Good to know. I find it sad that the NHS has to make decisions under the presumption that a significant enough portion of the population won't actually vaccinate, though.

The vaccination rates were pretty good until stupid Andrew Wakefield and his stupid autism thing. Realistically though no country is going to have a 100% vacciation rate - thre will always be people who either can't or won't.

I tried finding out how UK vaccination rates compared with US but couldn't.