Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Christoff posted:

I swear I saw people wearing those on ship maybe only with coveralls?

You could wear it in coveralls back when we rocked utilities. Honestly on the ship you could normally wear whatever in your own spaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Yeah it's a utility jacket. They were alright, they had slash pockets and stuff would fall put of them pretty easily, and they faded pretty quickly, so if you didn't want to buy a new jacket every time you made rank you would have to find a used patch to sew on it. The best jackets were the mustang foul weather jackets with the reflective tape, but unless supply or boats really liked you, you weren't gonna get your hands on one.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of coats, the Ike jacket can suck a dick. The peacoat or bridgecoat are pretty cool though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah but who ever bothered to put their rank on the peacoat?

Then again why do people care :chiefsay:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

Then again why do people care :chiefsay:

Sums up the entire Navy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I remember some old salt telling me they were manning the rails somewhere cold as balls and the CMC wouldn't let them wear their peacoats because no one had rank but all the chiefs were wearing poo poo without rank

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Christoff posted:

I remember some old salt telling me they were manning the rails somewhere cold as balls and the CMC wouldn't let them wear their peacoats because no one had rank but all the chiefs were wearing poo poo without rank

That could have been any ship to be honest.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I don't mind the Ike if the liner is removed except that the elastic at the bottom always bunches up at my waist and makes me look like I'm expanding. I had to cut some of the strands to keep it from looking stupid. We wear NWUs every day of the year except a heritage day every other month or so if you happen to be on watch that day. Nobody wears NSUs but we're allowed to, so I usually throw those on with the NSU sweater because I feel like walking around hundreds of miles inland in a blue camo sailor costume looks loving ridiculous.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

KetTarma posted:

Constantly misrepresenting everything to everyone. Lying about his numbers to his bosses and lying about billets to sailors.

When did detailers start getting punished for this? Next thing you'll tell me that they are also getting into trouble for giving their friends all of the choice billets.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Analogical posted:

Nobody wears NSUs

I had to go buy new NSU pants today. They are literally the worst 40 dollar pants the government could contract. I haven't worn them in years but now I'm at a training command so who knows what bullshit they want.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I kept a clothing bag from the cleaners and keep each set of my uniforms ready in it incase some weird bullshit comes up but I haven't had to wear any other uniform for over a year. Even the dress uniform transitions unless I'm at work that day everyone wears them for those inspections I just bring it in on a hanger the next shift. I don't like how the NSUs look without the sweater though. We're getting those new whites next year too right? The ones with the blue piping. I also heard the dress blues are actually going to be navy blue again, and they're coming with zippers next year to first issue at basic.

We're the only branch that just can't get away with using our uniform allowance on poo poo besides uniforms seeing as they change every other year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I still have my utility jacket and that thing owns.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'll be out by the time any of the new uniform poo poo is required (I hope).

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Angry Fish posted:

Those are no longer authorized. It was a coat for the utilities uniform.

Up until leaving subs last year I wore it underway because they don't really harp on you for staying warm while submerged...

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

I'll be out by the time any of the new uniform poo poo is required (I hope).

This is what I'm praying for. I'll be damned if anyone is going to make me buy poo poo 2 months before I get out. I'll go to DRB again, gently caress it.

I have never worn my peacoat, wonder if it's super sweet. You can wear them with the NSUs and that's about it right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You can wear them with dress uniforms as well. I'm not sure about NWUs, honestly. I wore mine a bit last winter because I've lived tropical places for so long I didn't have a heavy jacket. It's still toasty as it was back in 2007 when I last wore it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
This past winter I busted out my SWO sweater with my Service Dress Blues (without coat). A little known, yet totally awesome way to go. The closest we'll ever get to Johnny Cash's again.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Dress whites inspection today. Last time I wore them: May 17, 2007. I was an ETSN at the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Winter blues were the best drat uniform.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I have rank on my peacoat. I've worn it with NSUs and Blues before. I like it because the pockets are super comfortable. Uniform of the day is hands in pockets, every day.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I wore my peacoat when I was a SN but I never wanted to throw my rank onto it. I've worn my peacoat more in civilian clothes on cold days than I have in uniform. If it's cold out I throw my NSU sweater on. If it's COLD out I wear my NWUs with a parka. The peacoat just doesn't fit in that equation

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
The second I got my final dd214 I gave away all my navy poo poo. I kinda wish I had kept my coveralls to cut into a sleeveless shorty short onesie for yard work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Apparently ya'll forgot about the raincoat :colbert:

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Any is's's here? I'm doing indoc at IS A school right now

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Not an IS but I hung out with them on deployment and I'm p. Good at PowerPoint like them

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Coveralls are good for yard work and shop work. I wore them to bed once when I had no clean clothes in A-school on a weekend because I'm lazy as poo poo and didn't do my laundry, so naturally there is a health and wellness that night and I'm the jackass standing in the lounge in my coveralls.

I'll never forget the look Chief gave me when she saw me in bed in those things. Too bad I never saw her agai-- HAHA OH WAIT she's my Chief suddenly three years later again and I was still that guy she caught in the coveralls. :bahgawd:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Congrats on choosing the best rate, I'm an ISC now it the reserves. If you have any questions, let me know and I totally won't forward them to your instructors. But really, good luck at Dam Neck and go spent time off base or drinking (if 21+) and grilling on the beach.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If under 21 find a good enabler and don't get caught!

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Sir Lucius posted:

If under 21 find a good enabler and don't get caught!

"Shipmate; what were you thinking? You're out here cokin' and jokin' meanwhile we got sailors comin' home in pine boxes"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

"Shipmate; what were you thinking? You're out here cokin' and jokin' meanwhile we got sailors comin' home in pine boxes"

"CHIEF, I WAS POUNDIN' 40s IN THEIR HONOR, CHIEF!"

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats on choosing the best rate, I'm an ISC now it the reserves. If you have any questions, let me know and I totally won't forward them to your instructors. But really, good luck at Dam Neck and go spent time off base or drinking (if 21+) and grilling on the beach.

Back in 2005, a lot of Dam Neck IS students were royally hosed in the rear end when some of them got caught bringing classified study material back to their barracks rooms.

That is all I know about your rate.

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Analogical posted:

Our detailer came to the command and specifically told us not to call him and ask for any orders but shore. They're getting rid of our air and surface billets (CTI) over the next three years and unless you drew the right straw leaving A-School getting into anything but shore takes nothing short of an act of God. He held a 45 minute all-call giving us examples of times we've called and how stupid we were for ever thinking we'd leave our one duty station. We have a chief who's been at my command for 16 years without ever leaving.

Join the navy, they said.

See the world, they said.

Just curious about those air and surface billets -- are they moving them somewhere else (which may be highly unlikely since you seem to be at one of the Centers of Excellence™) or are they deleting/converting the billets entirely?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Go to the Boardwalk Art Show this weekend, it's neat.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fart Sandwiches posted:

The second I got my final dd214 I gave away threw away all my navy poo poo. I kinda wish I had kept my coveralls to cut into a sleeveless shorty short onesie for yard work. crackerjack dress blues to give to my kid for Halloween use.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

BovineAdapter posted:

Just curious about those air and surface billets -- are they moving them somewhere else (which may be highly unlikely since you seem to be at one of the Centers of Excellence™) or are they deleting/converting the billets entirely?

They've been saying they're getting rid of aircrew for years now, but they have a tentative date of 2019 now and this year's contracts were supposed to be the last. Surface is going in the same timeframe, this is for MENA languages, they'll probably keep surface out of Oahu. There's just no real need for us to be on a ship or a plane when they can stream it to us shoreside as fast as they can now. We just go off what our insane detailer yells at us about though.

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Analogical posted:

no real need for us to be on a ship or a plane when they can stream it

I figured that was the case. The remoting thing was bandied about as early as the mid-to-late 90s and the old surface PCS guys (CTR/CTT) were convinced that it was pie in the sky crazy talk. Remoting really only takes your CTI out of the shipboard equation since CTRs/CTMs will be needed to man SSES and run and maintain the gear. Sub operations won't be impacted because CT missions are just about the only thing fast attack boats have going for them. USS FLORIDA was proof of concept for the SSGNs when we bombed the poo poo out of Libya back in 2011 and since they're also suited for CT missions (albeit in only about 2 areas I can think of), we'll continue to see a Fleet requirement for them.

As far as your detailer(s), all they seem to be these days are PR chumps that go on their monthly TADs to the Fleet to tell the Sailors what FLTFORCOM wants them to. From what I understand, requirements are really generated between the individual command and FFC. They've managed to almost completely take the detailer out of the process, at least for the CT community. The TECHAD has a bigger picture to manage, namely rating health. Last TECHAD visit I went to in 2011, the guy told everyone that CTIs should be prepared to see an advancement slowdown due to over-advancement through the previous 7 years or so. He also mentioned the FLPB restructure. I knew that was coming because there was no way in hell PERSCOM was gonna pay folks $1000/month for testing in their primary language plus any other DLPT they could get their hands on (Italian, Spanish, French or the slavic languages for RuLings/SCroats).

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
From what I hear, the CTN detailer has been completely mismanaging his job. I know there were 2 9308s that just simply got out because he wouldn't let them swap orders so they wouldn't have to move.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Attn VB peeps: come buy some loving art

Susa
Apr 27, 2013
My BAH just got approved :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Susa posted:

My BAH just got approved :fap:

Thats a pretty good day right there. Nothing like seeing your paycheck nearly double.

• Locked thread