Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's been religious extremism and abuse in schools for ages, it's just that most of the political elite have ignored it because it came from a relatively accepted Abrahamic sect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

bitterandtwisted posted:

Tell us more about how much Scottish votes matter (they don't).
Wouldnt a yes vote mean we are well hosed in England because we loose a shitload of Labour MP's?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Seaside Loafer posted:

Wouldnt a yes vote mean we are well hosed in England because we loose a shitload of Labour MP's?

Not really. You'd have a Tory majority instead of the current coalition, but there's never been a Labour victory that wouldn't have been a victory without Scottish voters.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Seaside Loafer posted:

Here's my grand sociological experiment proposal:
England, Scotland. Two nations so alike in society, climate, population and problems. Two nations so alike, but leaning opposite ways politically. England predominantly Tory, Scotland predominantly Labour.
I propose that the nations be divided and run independently for a period of fifty years.
England will progress towards a right wing heaven, Scotland a left wing utopia.
At the end of the experiment, whichever political system has done better (against a pre-agreed set of metrics such as GDP, Gross National Happiness, societal inequality) is declared superior. The winning country is obliged to send tanks across the border, liquidate the losing parliament and claim sovereignty over all.
Ireland can be the control group.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TinTower posted:

There's been religious extremism and abuse in schools for ages, it's just that most of the political elite have ignored it because it came from a relatively accepted Abrahamic sect.

I had to go to rather extreme lengths to get out of mandatory mass at my secular grammar school and frankly I've probably never done anything more offensive in protest in my life.

The government are being loving hypocrites. Religion never has and never will have a place in schools, the same as any other vested interest. Learning and induction are not bedfellows.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Spangly A posted:

I had to go to rather extreme lengths to get out of mandatory mass at my secular grammar school and frankly I've probably never done anything more offensive in protest in my life.

The government are being loving hypocrites. Religion never has and never will have a place in schools, the same as any other vested interest. Learning and induction are not bedfellows.

It's just a matter of time until the status quo on religion in UK public life is broken. In 30 or 40 years, all the people in positions of power will be from a generation that never knew religion as an important part of their lives. It will slide into irrelevancy as a result.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 11, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Endjinneer posted:

whichever political system has done better (against a pre-agreed set of metrics such as GDP, Gross National Happiness, societal inequality) is declared superior.

Now that GDP is going to include drug dealer and prostitution turnover, it's probably a slam dunk, although I'm not sure which way.

(Also, bear this in mind when the tories announce that our economy has grown by 5% in september when the next GDP figures are published)

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 11, 2014

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Endjinneer posted:

Here's my grand sociological experiment proposal:
England, Scotland. Two nations so alike in society, climate, population and problems. Two nations so alike, but leaning opposite ways politically. England predominantly Tory, Scotland predominantly Labour.
I propose that the nations be divided and run independently for a period of fifty years.
England will progress towards a right wing heaven, Scotland a left wing utopia.
At the end of the experiment, whichever political system has done better (against a pre-agreed set of metrics such as GDP, Gross National Happiness, societal inequality) is declared superior. The winning country is obliged to send tanks across the border, liquidate the losing parliament and claim sovereignty over all.
Ireland can be the control group.

I don't know, going by vote share, Scotland does like to vote Tory and for a lot of pretty right-wing parties. The SNP isn't exactly far left. And England is all over the place, regions of England tend to be far more left- or right- wing than others.

I think federalism would be a good shout. Something like Germany or the USA, but without the neo-liberalism I would hope, except in the south-east, which'd end up like our version of Florida. We might even get a Yorkshire assembly then, if they were a state.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Prince John posted:

It's just a matter of time until the status quo on religion in UK public life is broken. In 30 or 40 years, all the people in positions of power will be from a generation that never knew religion as an important part of their lives. It will slide into irrelevancy as a result.

Eton posted:

Not every Etonian would call himself a committed religious believer; many have doubts which they can and do express freely. However, up to two thirds of the boys are confirmed during their time at Eton, and the climate in the school is sympathetic to Christian life and practice.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Can we just physically separate England from the rest of the UK and push Wales, Scotland and Ireland together? It'll be great fun.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah because English people are loving arseholes but everyone in those other countries are all cool and fun as hell.

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah because English people are loving arseholes but everyone in those other countries are all cool and fun as hell.

This but unironically.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Not really. You'd have a Tory majority instead of the current coalition, but there's never been a Labour victory that wouldn't have been a victory without Scottish voters.

The 1964 and 1974 elections were Labour majorities that would have been Tory majorities if Scotland didn't exist, but you're right in that those were both abnormally short terms (both or either one was a hung parliament, I forget) and it's not a frequent occurrence.

Spooky Hyena fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 11, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Spooky Hyena posted:

This but unironically.

Yeah pretty much. Another accidental truth by noted racist Pissflaps.

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010
If I move to Scotland will I stop being an arsehole?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr N posted:

Nae guarantee but a better NHS, free education, cheaper prescriptions and a Pizza Crunch supper will do strange things to a man.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah pretty much. Another accidental truth by noted racist Pissflaps.

Remind me again what makes me racist I need cheering up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

I'm a bit unsure on this bit. I thought that the Home Office had yet to approve the use of water cannon, or have I misunderstood? Might the Met end up with three cannon that they aren't allowed to use?

No, they haven't approved their use on the mainland UK. However the process of approval is literally just the Home Secretary telling the Chief Constable of the force in question they they can use them (although that can be with restrictions, and the force themself can put restrictions on, which is why some forces give Tazers to most (not all - yet) officers whereas the Met only allow armed coppers to have them).

I've only just realised the internal political dimension of this story. Theresa May was resistant to the idea of expanding police equipment and tactics even at the height of the riots, and Boris is of course another contender in a future leadership election. So he's throwing down a bit of a gauntlet here - if she doesn't approve it he can say "See, she's soft on these criminal scum". If she does approve it then he gets to smug it up about how he forced her hand and ask who's the real power in the party.

PiCroft posted:

I was actually going to ask about this - My understanding of water cannons is that they exist to disperse crowds which is generally the opposite of what riot police in the UK do, fond as they are of kettling.

Exactly. I was struck at the time how quickly the old bill abandoned kettling when dealing with an actual hostile (to them directly) crowd and went back to the old-fashioned "turn up, make a lot of noise, and hope they run away" tactics familiar to anyone who went to football games in the 80s. Kettling can only work when you're dealing with a crowd that is peaceful (in the majority) because it's utter suicide when dealing with people who are actually going to fight, because you're concentrating their numbers.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Can we just physically separate England from the rest of the UK and push Wales, Scotland and Ireland together? It'll be great fun.

What about Northern Ireland though?

Pissflaps posted:

If there are any cool and fun as hell English people we can set up a 1-1 cool-arsehole exchange.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As to when - as with all other measures, that's up to Gold Command, normally a Chief Inspector or higher, for the event in question, with the option of whether or not to use them granted by the Commissioner (within the limits imposed by the Home Office).
Quick bit of history: once the police have it, it doesn't matter what the Home Office think if they haven't directly taken it away from them. In the 80s the Home Secretary went to court to establish whether it was in their duty if care to supply CS gas and baton rounds to the police even if the local police tried to block them. The police lost, if they have equipment the Home Office has to let them maintain and use it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Exactly. I was struck at the time how quickly the old bill abandoned kettling when dealing with an actual hostile (to them directly) crowd and went back to the old-fashioned "turn up, make a lot of noise, and hope they run away" tactics familiar to anyone who went to football games in the 80s. Kettling can only work when you're dealing with a crowd that is peaceful (in the majority) because it's utter suicide when dealing with people who are actually going to fight, because you're concentrating their numbers.

On this note what is the stated rationale for kettling? Shoving a bunch of people into cramped conditions without access to toilets, water, etc. has a very high chance of doing nothing except aggravating the situation and this is something that seems tremendously obvious. I don't doubt they like the idea of aggravating the situation for a variety of reasons, but obviously they can't actually say that, so I'm curious about how they actually sell kettling.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Mister Adequate posted:

On this note what is the stated rationale for kettling? Shoving a bunch of people into cramped conditions without access to toilets, water, etc. has a very high chance of doing nothing except aggravating the situation and this is something that seems tremendously obvious. I don't doubt they like the idea of aggravating the situation for a variety of reasons, but obviously they can't actually say that, so I'm curious about how they actually sell kettling.

It makes the prospect of any future peaceful protest totally unappealing. First timer protesters, like in the student protests a couple of years back, turn up, passionate and excited to be engaging in protest, in a crowd of like minded people, then find themselves stood in their own piss for 6 hours, tired and hungry. Its very successful. Most people dont want to do that again. Well other than extremists and thats what the water cannon are for right?

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 12, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

The stated reasons are to localise disruption, minimise property damage, allow everyone to be formally identified/arrested with the minimum of police numbers, and control the rate of dispersal. It sort of makes sense on those terms when you look at, for example, the 90s May Day protests, where after the approved march the marchers dispersed as requested but then blocked off quite big chunks of London in smaller groups.

That it tends to escalate situations and provide a nice easy photo opportunity and an excuse for truncheons to start swinging is, I'm sure, entirely coincidental.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I can imagine it's very effective. They completely avoid having too have any negative footage of cops steaming in with batons that get played over and over on social media and incite others to join.

Also if you are a middle class kid from the home counties it would be a badge of honour coming home with a black eye or some thing. Having to ride the train home having shat yourself probably doesn't and just means you slink off and don't come back.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fact, I'm struggling to think of a mainland UK example this century where there have been large groups to disperse that weren't actually caused by the police kettling people in and not allowing them to disperse (and then loving baton charging them anyway).
Poll tax riots is the first to spring to mind.

The Met's own justification for getting them lists:
2004 Countryside Alliance protests
1999 carnival against capitalism
2002 Millwall v Birmingham football riots
2010 Millbank student protest

Not sure how they'd get them up the stairs for the last one.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

bitterandtwisted posted:

The total collapse of Scottish Conservatism only really happened in the 90s though. Back in the 60s and 70s, Conservatives were getting about 40% of the populations votes, and around 1/3 of the seats. It totally makes sense that this slightly below national average result would have a low impact on the overall results. In the 80s the vote share collapsed, but due to the way First Past the Post works, they managed to hang on to a big chunk of seats. It is only in the generation since the 90s that Scotland has been united in its rejection of Conservatives. And in that generation, there have been multiple strong Labour victories, and one weak Tory victory that would have been strong without the influence of Scotland.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Of course they were. Repeatedly.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Mr N posted:

No. Just look at coohoolin for evidence of this.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Undead Hippo posted:

The total collapse of Scottish Conservatism only really happened in the 90s though. Back in the 60s and 70s, Conservatives were getting about 40% of the populations votes, and around 1/3 of the seats. It totally makes sense that this slightly below national average result would have a low impact on the overall results. In the 80s the vote share collapsed, but due to the way First Past the Post works, they managed to hang on to a big chunk of seats. It is only in the generation since the 90s that Scotland has been united in its rejection of Conservatives. And in that generation, there have been multiple strong Labour victories, and one weak Tory victory that would have been strong without the influence of Scotland.

a majority of 9 is not a 'strong victory'.
it's barely workable and would have still needed Lib Dem support and/or collapsed.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Why did Scotland switch from being fairly Tory voting to mostly Labour voting? it couldn't simply have been Thatcher.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think it probably was, and maybe the Poll Tax specifically.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If Scotland does get independence, is there anything to stop the line from being redrawn? I know that back when devolution kicked in meaning free prescriptions / higher education Berwick made noises about Scotland looking awfully nice and they wouldn't mind joining them.

As someone who lives a couple of miles north of Wallsend I'd be okay with using the line Hadrian laid down.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

PiCroft posted:

Why did Scotland switch from being fairly Tory voting to mostly Labour voting? it couldn't simply have been Thatcher.

Scotland was never with the Conservative part as we know it. They used to vote mainly for the Progressive Party, which was a weird union of Conservatives and Liberals whose basic plaform was "gently caress the Labour Party"

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Pissflaps posted:

I'm going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Scotland#1979 but it looks like Labour became the favorite party of Scotland pre-Thatcher and certainly before the Poll Tax. In fact it seems from the lists there that the last time the Conservatives had majority in Scotland was 1955.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Party Boat posted:

If Scotland does get independence, is there anything to stop the line from being redrawn? I know that back when devolution kicked in meaning free prescriptions / higher education Berwick made noises about Scotland looking awfully nice and they wouldn't mind joining them.

As someone who lives a couple of miles north of Wallsend I'd be okay with using the line Hadrian laid down.

are you expecting berwick to break away like the crimea?

in principle nothing to stop it happening.
but it'd be more hassle than either holyrood or westminster would care to deal with.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

that's the big one.

but there's also the betreyal over the devolution vote. promises were made about a 'no' vote that were completely reneged upon.
that scotland's oil & gas wealth wasn't being used to any benefit in scotland.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Party Boat posted:

A surprising number of folk seem to think that the border is Hadrian's wall, like Rory Stewart who wanted 100k people to join hands along it as a sign of solidarity with Scotland.

I'm sure that Scotland will graciously accept Carlisle, half of Newcastle, and everything in-between.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cerv posted:

that's the big one.

but there's also the betreyal over the devolution vote. promises were made about a 'no' vote that were completely reneged upon.
that scotland's oil & gas wealth wasn't being used to any benefit in scotland.

Of course that won't happen if we vote No this time.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Of course that won't happen if we vote No this time.

You still haven't told me why you think I'm racist?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Cerv posted:

are you expecting berwick to break away like the crimea?

in principle nothing to stop it happening.
but it'd be more hassle than either holyrood or westminster would care to deal with.

I honestly don't think it would ever get beyond tubthumping to draw attention to local issue of the day (as it has previously). Just interested to know if it would be possible in theory.

Northumbria already has pipes, tartans and a hatred of the South / love of horrible fried things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Party Boat posted:

I honestly don't think it would ever get beyond tubthumping to draw attention to local issue of the day (as it has previously). Just interested to know if it would be possible in theory.

Northumbria already has pipes, tartans and a hatred of the South / love of horrible fried things.

Maybe time for a campaign for Northumbrian independence?

• Locked thread