Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
A buddy just have me a handful of ps2 games. I'm familiar with them all except for Magna Carta. The cover is something to behold with anime boobs and effeminate male heroes. Is it any good or jrpg dreck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

A buddy just have me a handful of ps2 games. I'm familiar with them all except for Magna Carta. The cover is something to behold with anime boobs and effeminate male heroes. Is it any good or jrpg dreck?

It's pretty much dreck.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

It's a bad game that had a few neat ideas. You're better off skipping it to be honest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

joshtothemaxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA-LGjTHLZ8

This is the one good thing about Magna Carta.

The 360 sequel is actually pretty decent though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I beat Child of Light yesterday. It's really pretty, has a pretty fun fighting system which is pretty much Grandia-light, and decent length for the price. The story never goes anywhere though, and the writer never should have attempted to make all the dialogue rhyme, because he's really bad at it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

joshtothemaxx posted:

There's an LP of it right now where the LPer is aggressively cutting out all the boring poo poo he can and it's still painfully dull.

I tried playing it when it came out and it killed my will to play before I finished the first mission.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I haven't played an Atelier game since Iris 2 so I figured it'd be a good time to try Escha and Logy thanks to the price cut. Anything I need to be aware of going in? Time Management type games normally stress me out but everyone says the limit is really generous so it sounds alright.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sexual rickshaw posted:

The current PSN flash sale ends tomorrow, and I have some cash to burn, so I'm trying to decide between Tales of Graces F and Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. I'm a really big fan of the Tales series (having played all of the US released ones save Vesperia, Graces F and Dawn of the New World), but I've heard good things about Atelier Escha & Logy, although I haven't played any of the Atelier games outside of the first Atelier Iris game on the PS2. How different is Escha & Logy from that game? To give a frame of reference, I played through the majority of Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana and despite a few hiccups, did enjoy it.

Graces F ruined all other Graces games for me. The fast-paced combat, the title system, the combination and cooking and that jar you get which does all sorts of poo poo for you...definitely my favourite. I'd recommend that, but apparently Escha to and Logy is pretty good. I'd still recommend Graces F, just ignore the generic story.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

I haven't played an Atelier game since Iris 2 so I figured it'd be a good time to try Escha and Logy thanks to the price cut. Anything I need to be aware of going in? Time Management type games normally stress me out but everyone says the limit is really generous so it sounds alright.
Really generous is an understatement. I've been playing Escha/Logy on and off and I usually have like 3+ months of free time for each quarter. After side quests I usually have like 1 to 2 months to mess around with the alchemy system and do whatever I want. Sometimes I go out and fight the mega optional fights which are usually pretty fun. The normal combat stuff is steamroll easy.

I've just been playing the game blind and I don't feel like I've missed anything. It's very straight forward. If you just want tips on how to break the crafting system in half though, I am sure there are plenty of those. Although even that is pretty straight forward too once you get around the sub-par localization of the alchemy menus.

IMO Pick Logy though if you don't care too much about the personalities. I think he makes the game go faster by virtue of having actual attacks that do damage and can clear trash lightning fast with his unique items and his AoE attacks and is generally useful in every single fight. Escha can do the same thing but is a little less efficient about it (although her items definitely do more damage). It's not a big deal either way though. Whoever you pick cannot be removed from the main fighting party though (hence the "logy is always useful" comment) and you get to hear their thoughts during most scenes and I believe the endings are unique for each character.

I might be wrong about something there, maybe someone who has finished the game can speak more towards that.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 6, 2014

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Levantine posted:

You're given blocks of 3-4 months to try and complete a small set of goals given to you, and all but the last block set are pretty easy to complete with plenty of time to spare. You also get some ways to shave time down later on too, like having the homunculi duplicate materials and usable items for you or cutting down travel time through Marion's research topics/improving your airship/getting the infinite use item that teleports you back to the workshop instantly.

The only way time management might bite you in the rear end is if you want to make really good weapons, armor, and accessories for NG+, which is a bit of an involved process.

Rascyc posted:

IMO Pick Logy though if you don't care too much about the personalities. I think he makes the game go faster by virtue of having actual attacks that do damage and can clear trash lightning fast with his unique items and his AoE attacks and is generally useful in every single fight. Escha can do the same thing but is a little less efficient about it (although her items definitely do more damage). It's not a big deal either way though. Whoever you pick cannot be removed from the main fighting party though (hence the "logy is always useful" comment) and you get to hear their thoughts during most scenes and I believe the endings are unique for each character.

I might be wrong about something there, maybe someone who has finished the game can speak more towards that.

The only recipe books that are locked out of your initial playthrough is the one that has the character specific ultimate attack and support items, and Escha's are better in virtually every way possible. You're going to have both Escha and Logy in your party regardless, since Double Draw is one of your biggest damage dealing tools available to you, and with the base cast only one character is going to be sitting out of the battle group anyways.

Also, I believe only some of the ending are different between the two, with the ones that do being Awin's, the guys/girls party, the normal endings, and the true endings. The rest of the endings should be pretty much the same.

Forest Thief Pud fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 6, 2014

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
If you played any Atelier game past Totori, you played them all. Each game makes minor tweaks here and there, mostly to the crafting mechanics and user interface to cut out all the time wasted in menus.

Combat has never been the focus point. Even with the improvements in Eschalogy, I'd still say it's less complex than the old Atelier Iris games on the PS2 or Mana Khemia.

So all that's left is the story. In the case of Eschalogy, the entirety of it takes place at the last 10% of the game. The rest of the time is doing jobs and watching crazy hijinks of all the whacky anime characters. I like Atelier Totori and Meruru, but the formula is getting extremely stale now.

Levantine posted:

You're given quite a bit of time to complete each main assignment, but to complete each little sidequest you do need to manage your time efficiently. You do get one whole year to complete your final assignment. Combat items are no longer consumed completely, so feel free to bomb the poo poo out of every enemy encounter.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I cannot imagine playing Atelier games without item replenishment. I'm glad I entered the series on Escha/Logy.

And even though the combat is fairly streamlined, I love being able to swap in characters and just having options to do stuff with the support moves. I have no idea why any turn based RPG in this day/age does not have hot swappable party members mid-combat, it makes the game so much better.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

Combat has never been the focus point. Even with the improvements in Eschalogy, I'd still say it's less complex than the old Atelier Iris games on the PS2 or Mana Khemia.

That being said, that's not to say you can't do hilariously dumb poo poo if you put the time in:

(Mild spoiler warning on the appearance of a lategame boss and showing off the party members, just in case)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRdKktyCgnc

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I cannot imagine playing Atelier games without item replenishment. I'm glad I entered the series on Escha/Logy.

And even though the combat is fairly streamlined, I love being able to swap in characters and just having options to do stuff with the support moves. I have no idea why any turn based RPG in this day/age does not have hot swappable party members mid-combat, it makes the game so much better.

In the non-Escha and Logy games, there's a shop or two in each of the towns that you can give an alchemy item you really like/need and they'll mass produce it for you so you can run into the shop and buy it when you need it. It can also be a drain on your money resources in some games though, especially in Meruru for your first playthrough.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I managed to snag Escha and Logy today and I just started playing. First impressions are pretty positive - the visuals are surprisingly nice at least from a character perspective and it seems kind of lighthearted and nice so far. I do think it's funny that Logy is Ashton from Star Ocean 2. I never thought I'd see another RPG character so obsessed with Barrels. Is that a Japanese thing or something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's an Atelier series joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The only way time management might bite you in the rear end is if you want to make really good weapons, armor, and accessories for NG+, which is a bit of an involved process.

It's an involved processes but I still managed to craft top-tier equipment with awesome skills for every character with time to spare. It's really not worth stressing out about the time limit at all.

Lord Ephraim posted:

If you played any Atelier game past Totori, you played them all. Each game makes minor tweaks here and there, mostly to the crafting mechanics and user interface to cut out all the time wasted in menus.

I wouldn't say this at all. There's pretty significant gameplay and design tweaks between each game. They share the same core ideas but there's a lot of differences and changes. It's very possible to enjoy one of the games and not another or to enjoy the games for different reasons. I found that Ayesha had a much better and more interesting quest structure and E&L's combat system is significantly better than any of the other PS3 ones, as well as a has a much greater emphasis with a lot more optional bosses.

Basically, they're similar but I think they manage to vary themselves well enough to remain interesting unless you're just burned out on the concept as a whole. I definitely don't agree that "if you've played one, you've played them all." though. I liked the Dusk games more than the previous trilogy, although I admit that Rorona classic was so bad it put me off the franchise for years so I'll have to see how New Rorona handles.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 7, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Endorph posted:

It's an Atelier series joke.

It always reminds me of Ashton from Star Ocean 2, though I have no idea why he was so barrel-balmy.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So, there's a rumor that Final Fantasy Type-O translation patch will drop today.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/final-fantasy-type-0-romhacking.340183/

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Has anyone played Risen? It's in the humble weekly bundle and it seems pretty cool, but I've also never played any of the Gothic games, whose developers made Risen.

If it's any good, any beginners tips?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am really enjoying Escha and Logy, a lot more than I expected. The time is a concern but it's more something to pay attention to than to stress out about. I'm two squares away from completing assignment 1 with like 40 days to spare. I had to do some extra travelling back to town to replenish my items because I got in over my head using that special feature to call strong monsters so I'm a little behind if I were just playing conservatively and gathering all the items or whatever. I did a relic search in that first area of the second unlocked map and got a Bomb which was nice.

When can you buy/make new weapons and armor anyway? And do the new party members join in later months?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I am really enjoying Escha and Logy, a lot more than I expected. The time is a concern but it's more something to pay attention to than to stress out about. I'm two squares away from completing assignment 1 with like 40 days to spare. I had to do some extra travelling back to town to replenish my items because I got in over my head using that special feature to call strong monsters so I'm a little behind if I were just playing conservatively and gathering all the items or whatever. I did a relic search in that first area of the second unlocked map and got a Bomb which was nice.

When can you buy/make new weapons and armor anyway? And do the new party members join in later months?

You will get the ability for Logy to make new weapons relatively soon, as well as the ability to decombine relics you find (like that bomb) to get their recipe (if you don't have it already) and a rare ingredient they are made from.

New party members join regularly. You'll eventually get 7 party members. Party members level up even if they're not in your party (which maxes out at 6 members) but don't gain friendship points towards events so you may want to swap in and out.

There are also some DLC members available but eh. They're people who show up in the game anyway so you're not missing anything big by not buying them.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 8, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only DLC party member who's worth it is Wilbell, and that's because her support attack is throwing her hat like Oddjob.

Also make sure you download the free DLCs, the maps are a nice addition and the small music pack has a pretty neat remix of the battle theme.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Coughing Hobo posted:

The only DLC party member who's worth it is Wilbell, and that's because her support attack is throwing her hat like Oddjob.

Also make sure you download the free DLCs, the maps are a nice addition and the small music pack has a pretty neat remix of the battle theme.

Is any of the pay DLC worthwhile? I notice there are a couple collection areas to grab.

EDIT: Oh I guess they are free, so I'll get them anyway!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mustang posted:

Has anyone played Risen? It's in the humble weekly bundle and it seems pretty cool, but I've also never played any of the Gothic games, whose developers made Risen.

If it's any good, any beginners tips?

Risen is pretty high in euro-jank, but it's a decent open-world game that rewards exploration and punishes carelessness. The game's biggest problem is that it becomes something of a dungeon-romp about three-quarters of the way through, which the game isn't very good for. But it's a game I really enjoyed.

Once you're a little into the game, check out this page: http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Risen

Basically, if you want to get the most out of the game, don't finalize any decisions with factions until you've exhausted all the questlines.

Avoid men is white and red robes in the beginning, they will beat you up fairly easily, and you'll be forced into a faction you may not want.

Also just keep in mind that at the beginning of the game you are weak as balls, so be careful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Is any of the pay DLC worthwhile? I notice there are a couple collection areas to grab.

Not really. The game is really self-contained. The DLC feels kind of extraneous.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I accidentally originally posted this in the PC-only thread, so I hope that this more console-oriented thread can help me out:

So, anyone an aficionado of the Dragon Quest/Warrior games? I fancy doing a run through of the first 4 games that came out on the NES. A few days ago I started a play-through of an absolutely awful French translation of DW1, where I ended up using Game Genie codes to speed up the grinding. I had forgotten how little content that game has, but I'm glad that I ran through it.

DW3 is my favourite and I will play the original NES version when the time comes, but I want to do 2 next and it's the only one of the original 4 that I know nothing about. The reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone would suggest a version. There's the original NES, of course, and there's also a Super NES adaptation that looks nice and seems to smooth out the rough edges. They also made a GBC version, which is functionally similar to the Famicom/SNES version but is even uglier, to me, than the NES version and the resolution/size of the gameplay window is comparable to that of a postage stamp. I never played the NES version and only just learned of the others, so I was wondering if anyone had tried them and what they thought.

I don't think that I will be able to bring myself to play DWIV, because the best part of the game requires dealing with AI-controlled companions, which I really hate. Unless there's a patch out there, I don't think that I could put up with it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The GBC color remakes of DW I-III are generally the best of the remakes that are readily available, aside from graphically. The Super Famicom, and the versions based on the Super Famicom versions win there. I don't know if there are complete translation hacks for those ones, though.

For IV-VI (if you choose to do those last two, after I-IV), the DS versions are the best, though for V some people might prefer the PS2 one. The remake of the IV does away with the AI for party members, and you can directly control them aside from a few temporary members, if I recall right. Been a while since I played it, so you might be able to control the temporary ones too. It doesn't include the party chat in any localized versions, but that is changed in V and VI.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Levantine posted:

I'd say grab the Wilbell DLC, just for the fact that she appears to be the only playable character available for all three Dusk games so far. Also, if you want to absolutely min-max your total damage potential, you should grab Michie since his and Awin's damage up skill supposedly stacks.

Don't know when all the DLC characters start becoming available for adventuring, since I picked them up on Year 4 because I was determined to beat level 99 Flameu with my weak level 56 party on a Logy first playthrough(which I finally managed to do). I'd imagine they'd be with you by the middle of year 2.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

JustJeff88 posted:

I accidentally originally posted this in the PC-only thread, so I hope that this more console-oriented thread can help me out:

So, anyone an aficionado of the Dragon Quest/Warrior games? I fancy doing a run through of the first 4 games that came out on the NES. A few days ago I started a play-through of an absolutely awful French translation of DW1, where I ended up using Game Genie codes to speed up the grinding. I had forgotten how little content that game has, but I'm glad that I ran through it.

DW3 is my favourite and I will play the original NES version when the time comes, but I want to do 2 next and it's the only one of the original 4 that I know nothing about. The reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone would suggest a version. There's the original NES, of course, and there's also a Super NES adaptation that looks nice and seems to smooth out the rough edges. They also made a GBC version, which is functionally similar to the Famicom/SNES version but is even uglier, to me, than the NES version and the resolution/size of the gameplay window is comparable to that of a postage stamp. I never played the NES version and only just learned of the others, so I was wondering if anyone had tried them and what they thought.

I don't think that I will be able to bring myself to play DWIV, because the best part of the game requires dealing with AI-controlled companions, which I really hate. Unless there's a patch out there, I don't think that I could put up with it.

The Super Famicom ports of 1 and 2 are mechanically identical to the GBC ports. In both cases the EXP and gold payouts from random battles have been rebalanced so that you spend much less time grinding. The Super Famicom version requires a translation patch to play in English and while the patch works flawlessly for DQ1, it manages to make DQ2 playable though excessively glitchy. You'll have a much more stable experience with the GBC but if you'd rather put up with some bugginess than give up the SFC visuals/music, go for it. Just be very liberal about saving, both states and hard saves.

I know you said you'd play the NES version of 3 but do look at the SFC or GBC versions. They add new features to the game that make it feel unique and fresh while not straying too far from what was done on the NES. I'm talking stuff like a new character class that uses certain abilities from DQ6, mini medals, a new (optional) boardgame minigame, a "personality" system that influences stat growth, and a postgame extra dungeon. If DQ3 is your favorite in the series you owe it to yourself to at least give its remakes a look.

As for 4, the Ai complaint is dealt with in the PS1/DS releases, though the PS1 release has no translation available last I checked. Additionally when it comes to the NES version the AI only thing only pops up in the fifth chapter, and there's a game genie code out there that makes the game think it's an earlier chapter thereby disabling the Ai and allowing you to full manual your party. Don't know how stable that is though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Thank you for all of the quick feedback - I appreciate it.

There are some good translations of the Famicom remake of DW2 out there, so that's a real possibility. I really don't like the GBC remakes of the first 3 games - the graphics are hideous and the tiny view area really puts me off. I know this sounds daft, but I like the graphics of the DW series on the NES... they just have a certain je ne sais quoi about them that really appeals to me.

I actually bought, on a whim, the GBC remake of DW3 on eBay. I only paid about $9 for it including shipping, but I regret buying it because I know that I won't play it due to reasons mentioned above. I put hundreds of hours into 3 back in the NES era (never finished it, though, do to getting stuck and not having internet) and I want the nestalgia (see what I did there?!) rush. I still have my cartridge of that game and I found a very well-translated French version of the ROM, so I want to play it for those reasons as well as I am multilingual but live in an Anglophone area, so I like being able to find reasons to use my other languages.

As for IV, I actually found a copy of the Euro version of the DS adaptation at a pawn shop, and I was going to play that one as it is a multi-language version. However, there is indeed a simple Game Genie code that can turn off the chapter 5 AI in DWIV, so now I'm leaning back towards playing the NES versions all the way through. Decisions, decisions...

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

As for IV, I actually found a copy of the Euro version of the DS adaptation at a pawn shop, and I was going to play that one as it is a multi-language version. However, there is indeed a simple Game Genie code that can turn off the chapter 5 AI in DWIV, so now I'm leaning back towards playing the NES versions all the way through. Decisions, decisions...

IV on the PSX and DS have a bunch of post game stuff that the NES version doesn't, if that sways your decision at all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So do any backers have info about Pier Solar HD? Last I read it was supposed to launch before E3 but I can't find anything since their last delay notice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Levantine posted:

So do any backers have info about Pier Solar HD? Last I read it was supposed to launch before E3 but I can't find anything since their last delay notice.

Last one was May 23:

quote:

Updates on release date: It looks like we're not going to make it for a release before E3, but seems that we will be able to submit by then. But at this point, I'm seriously tired of giving estimates and not be able to meet because of this or that, and I'm sure you're tired of it as well, because it creates a certain expectation, and it's frustrating when it doesn't happen. So for the time being, no estimations. We're logging around 100 hours a week in order to get it as soon as possible, but as I said before, and will always say, quality comes first and the game will be done when it's done. Please just hang in there for a bit longer. it's coming.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last one was May 23:

Thanks! I wonder if their increased budget led them to bite off more features than they could chew. That seems to be a problem for a whole lot of kickstarters.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So how good is the Golden Sun games? I'm tempted to play through all of them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
They're okay, I guess, but they're soooooooo loving wordy it's not even funny. The interface is also kinda clunky, and at least the first game in the series has a bunch of scripted, unwinnable battles. If you can deal with that, they don't make for bad imitations of SNES/PS-era RPGs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The first two Golden Sun games are basically one single game released on two cartridges. It's good, but it falls short of its potential because it's not difficult enough to require you to actually understand its fairly unique and intricate class system. The highlight is that it's got tons of clever environmental puzzles, both in towns and in dungeons. None of the named characters are interesting and none of them ever shut the gently caress up, and you can't skip their endless inane chatter. It's more good than bad, and if you can make it through the prologue you'll have an idea of just how much talky poo poo you'll have to put up with to get at the good stuff. If you're posting in this thread, you might be broken in just the right way for it not to bother you.

Dark Dawn is superficially similar, but there's even more talking, and the non-talking parts are worse, including having lots of very important collectibles locked behind invisible points of no return, and generally fewer and less interesting puzzles, and the plot is a giant anticlimactic sidequest. It starts with the hero of the previous game ignoring you when you tell him you don't need a tutorial for the unchanged class system, and goes downhill from there. Arguably unlike its predecessors, the rest of the game just isn't worth sitting through the tedious conversations. Take it from someone who really wanted it to be good: don't play Dark Dawn.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 14, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Don't. Just skip them, because they're all awful games (where 2 was the best) but the plot's a trainwreck, the few interesting quirks of the combat/class system are never used (seriously, you never need to play with classes or the elements, game is that much of a cakewalk), and all of them have a lot of ancient rear end in a top hat design moves not worth experiencing including (as mentioned above) unskippable conversations, points of no return/permanently missable poo poo, 1/256 drop rate ultimate gear, cursed items, and an optional boss who is of the "Do it this single way or get bent" school of design.

The only thing I will really say in its favor, which grows old by the end/because poo poo is really picky: you play as psychics and gain new powers to solve puzzles or make your way through dungeons. The problem with this - you have like 4 seperate spells you have to learn through the game for "move this object 10 feet to the left/right" and gently caress you if you think that Push should be able to affect what Grab does or vice versa, that always pissed me off.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the overall writing is some of the worst in games. it feels like one of those campfire stories where the narrator switches every 30 seconds.

dark dawn is funny just because of what it assumes of its fanbase.

game: would you like a tutorial on how to set djinn?
player: no
game: well, here is a two minute long tutorial on how to set djinn anyway, complete with pictures.