Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be included in the "Big 4"?
This poll is closed.
ZSB 1 11.11%
Piper 0 0%
John Brown 0 0%
Cletus 0 0%
Diodeous 1 11.11%
Der Juicen 3 33.33%
Slywalker 0 0%
Zimbomonkey 1 11.11%
Texas A' Wreckus 0 0%
AfterFather 0 0%
God 3 33.33%
Total: 9 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah check the router. If it was issued by your ISP, it's more than likely refurbished and probably went bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Yeah, if you were playing games fine before, then it does seem unusual that the wiring in your building suddenly went bad enough to affect your gaming (but presumably not your general web browsing?).

I had the same type of issue with Time Warner, they blamed it on my building, but it turned out it was a problem with their equipment in the area. Do you know anyone else in your building who is having similar problems?

Try these two sites:

http://www.speedtest.net
http://www.pingtest.net

What results do you get?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

John Brown posted:

Are you sure it isn't your router/modem?

Yes, the guy that came plugged some detector thing into the cable line and said he was getting a bad signal from every single channel but channel 1. The only reason I have uptime at all is because 1 works. He said he's supposed to get a reading of ten something or others and he's only getting like 9.6. Apparently this is a bigger deal than a .4 difference would seem to be. I'm the only one in the building with cable internet. Everyone else uses Centurylink DSL because they're all old or just don't care about internet speeds. However, the front office is having the same problem too. They're trying to work getting it fixed into the budget.

cletus42o posted:

Yeah, if you were playing games fine before, then it does seem unusual that the wiring in your building suddenly went bad enough to affect your gaming (but presumably not your general web browsing?).

I had the same type of issue with Time Warner, they blamed it on my building, but it turned out it was a problem with their equipment in the area. Do you know anyone else in your building who is having similar problems?

Try these two sites:

http://www.speedtest.net
http://www.pingtest.net

What results do you get?

It isn't a problem for web browsing because it goes for like a second and then comes back. If I'm browsing I can just reload. If I'm in an Xbox game, this is long enough to get booted. This used to happen like once every few hours but now it's every 10-15 minutes if I get that long.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Regardless of what the guy said, did you (or he) try any a power reset on your router, or switching the router to Channel 1 specifically?

Also, have you bought a router to see if a replacement works?

Btw, if Dio can play his game by Sunday night then I'll hold off on an advance until then.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
I think when he says Channel 1, he means the channels for the cable modem - not the router / WiFi. DOCSIS poo poo. I don't know THAT much about it, I just know when my internet was poo poo I had noticed I was missing a channel in my cable modem's status page.

Just like your router has an admin page (usually 192.168.1.1), your cable modem should have one exposed as well. It's probably 192.168.100.1. This will let you view the channels for the modem and determine which ones are missing or are having troubles.

I assume they tried giving you a new cable modem, right? I went ahead and bought my own cable modem, it's much better than the one I had with Time Warner (plus, they had me on one of their lovely modem+router combos, which I bridged to my actual router, but that was annoying because apparently they don't support you doing that). Buying your own modem won't magically fix the issues (it's possible I suppose!), but it may handle the lovely connection better. Not sure what cable company you're with, but I've already recouped the cost of the modem I bought since I pay 6-7 bucks less a month on my bill.

Unless you aren't a direct customer of the cable company, you should just keep calling them though. You're paying them for a service that they aren't providing. And like I said, my cable company also kept insisting the problem was with the wiring in my building.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I do have my own cable modem and as far as I can tell it's working fine. Plus, like I said, the front office has outages at the same time as me. It's a Motorola Surfboard Modem/Wifi router combo. Cletus was right about the DOCSIS thing. You can't control the channels- they just change themselves when the current channel isn't at optimal speed.

I've been playing this stupid game of back and forth for months and even the front office agrees with me that the problem is their wiring. They're trying to get replacing it into the budget. For now it's slightly irritating, but it only really affects playing video games online. I'm going to be traveling so much over the next few months anyway it doesn't really matter.

And Cletus, I have checked that page a lot. Every channel has over 10000 uncorrectable errors except 1, which only has 1500. It accumulates about 1000 a day and the number resets when I reset the modem.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Holy poo poo where do you live? Try and find an area that has Verizon Fios as most Telco's will have their poo poo together there to compete.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

AfterFather posted:

Holy poo poo where do you live? Try and find an area that has Verizon Fios as most Telco's will have their poo poo together there to compete.

I live in Ocala, FL and my cable provider is Cox. I can't really move, and in an apartment building it doesn't matter anyway. You use whoever the complex has a deal with. And even if they hooked up Verizon FiOs tomorrow, it would probably produce the same results with the 35 year old wiring the building has.

Not that Cox isn't a lovely company in its own right. In February they called me up and told me that by exceeding my bandwidth cap I was in violation of federal law (yes, those words) and that if I did it again they would have to cancel my service and there was nothing they could do about it because ~federal law~.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Well, at least you won the PAC before you went out. Very impressive especially with Sly playing out of his mind in this league.

I'll likely be switching from XOne to PS4 so if you plan on doing the same then catch me there.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Double Post:

Zimbo has been placed on AP. As soon as AF plays the game I'll advance us.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.

John Brown posted:

Well, at least you won the PAC before you went out. Very impressive especially with Sly playing out of his mind in this league.

I've had 3 losses in this league so far...just can't let it go can you. Well someone else needs to come to the PAC-12. In about two weeks I'm moving to Italy and won't have access to my xbox for 2 months. Once I do get it...I guess it will be up to the league if people think they could deal with me being in such a different time zone.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I meant that as a compliment to the both of you but it's all good. Not worth a moment more of discussion.

If you can play each weekend then I don't see any problems. You're gonna enjoy Italy. Just a couple of weeks ago I found out we have an office in Milan. I so desperately want to live overseas.

Also, I've been thinking about a few things for the next season: I'm going to move USC & UCLA to the B1G East to make things more competitive. I also want to give some of you with no depth on your roster the opportunity to switch teams. Just keep in mind that you'll lose coaching skills if you already have them.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

:siren: Advanced to Week 9! :siren:

Michigan State survived a scare and won in OT against Indiana.

Cletus and I duked it out and he was a big play or two away from winning. He led going into half time by 4 pts, but only scored a FG in the second half. Although the both of us made some errand throws that resulted in a couple of picks, I feel like my guys dropped a lot more. One play that stands out in particular was when you threw to your TE across the middle and I read it perfectly. Pretty much 2 of the 3 deflections I had were pretty easy picks. Regardless, you made some good calls but your passing really failed you. That stop I made after you picked me off the second time was HUGE.

Nebraska over Michigan 27-17.

This was the only game between users, and everyone except OSU has a game to play. Let's try to advance by Wednesday.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Glad I won my sim. At the airport now on my way back

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

John Brown posted:

Cletus and I duked it out and he was a big play or two away from winning. He led going into half time by 4 pts, but only scored a FG in the second half. Although the both of us made some errand throws that resulted in a couple of picks, I feel like my guys dropped a lot more. One play that stands out in particular was when you threw to your TE across the middle and I read it perfectly. Pretty much 2 of the 3 deflections I had were pretty easy picks. Regardless, you made some good calls but your passing really failed you. That stop I made after you picked me off the second time was HUGE.

Nebraska over Michigan 27-17.
Yeah, great game man! I think I should have been able to get you, but the pressure got to me in the second half for sure. This Michigan team is really good. Unfortunately for me you didn't let those two interceptions get you down.

Kicking off the second half with that huge pass only to get held to a field goal - that was where I felt my game broke down. And that second pick where you stopped me right after, I think that was the one where I had that insane punt putting you on your 1 yard line - letting you get that huge pass out of there was a heartbreaker!

And I was a little intimidated - I would normally have tried scrambling more with Gardner on passing plays, but after two fumbles cost me the game against Penn St, I think I only scrambled on one or two plays against you. I still just need to learn to throw the ball away!

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Just a reminder that I'll be advancing Wednesday night. Piper, Sly, & Wreckus each have a CPU game.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
got my CPU game done last night.

Slywalker13
Jan 4, 2005
I will have to live with this title since I am too cheap to buy a new one.
My game is done, zoned out there for most of the game and called it like my RTG games. Didn't realize until at the game recap when I had 47 rushing yards...oops.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

^E: Not to worry. Next season I'll be combining conferences for better/more matchups.

Advanced to Week 10!

User Matchups:
Michigan (Cletus) at Michigan St
Penn State (Wreckus) vs OSU (ZSB)

CPU Games:
Northwestern
USC
UCLA

Byes:
Myself

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
Alright Dio, this is it! When is good for you?

I MAY be able to play tonight or tomorrow night. I'm afraid I won't be able to commit ahead of time right now, the wife and I are planning her birthday trip for this weekend and I don't want to rock the boat too hard. An early morning game is something I could probably commit to, though, if you'd want to try that.

Worst case, we'll have to play after I get back from our weekend trip.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

After the weekend sounds preferable to if you're on a tight schedule

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Diodeous posted:

After the weekend sounds preferable to if you're on a tight schedule
Early tonight from 5:30-6:30 I could do, forgot I have to head home early today to let a maintenance guy in.

Otherwise, we can wait for sure. I can just PM you if I have any definite free time before though just to see if you are available. This is one of the two games I look forward to most in this dynasty. :)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Wreckus, maybe tonight if you're available? I've got standard work hours again so most evenings I should be able to find time. This Saturday I won't be available though.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
Dio, tomorrow night just opened up for me, if that works. Wife's going to be out late.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Yes, I should be home by like 5pm or so and can play anytime after

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Probably tomorrow night would be better.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Diodeous posted:

Yes, I should be home by like 5pm or so and can play anytime after
Cool, I should be home around 7pm - I'll hop online then.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I just remembered I have a training session from 730-830 so it might have to wait

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Diodeous posted:

I just remembered I have a training session from 730-830 so it might have to wait
No worries. We can probably do it after 9pm too. I have a small thing to launch for a client at 9 but it will only take a minute or two at most. It's possible I'll end up home by 6, too, if you feel like looking to see if I'm online.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Let's aim for the later time. I don't think I can comfortably play at 6 since I need to be out the door by 7

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I should be ready to go by 915 if you're game

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Diodeous posted:

I should be ready to go by 915 if you're game
Yep I'll be on.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

GG Cletus, you were definitely undone by your INTs. You made me fumble quite a bit though...

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
Yeah the game fell apart quick on me. Worst game with Gardner all season, and now he's out for the rest of the season. Bummer!

GG!

edit - Gardner forced one of those fumbles though. :downs:

cletus42o fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 13, 2014

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Wreckus, where you at?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

At this point Sunday or Monday night.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Wreckus, it's been 4 days without a response from you. In 24hrs you're going on AP for this week unless I hear otherwise.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Wreckus is on AP. If he shows up before ZSB finishes the game then I'll undo it and allow them to play.

He's been pulling some upsets and I was hoping he would have the change to do so this week, but I want to keep us moving.

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office

John Brown posted:

Wreckus is on AP. If he shows up before ZSB finishes the game then I'll undo it and allow them to play.

He's been pulling some upsets and I was hoping he would have the change to do so this week, but I want to keep us moving.

Sorry I was at Bonnaroo for the past 5 nights, I can go tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Texas A. Wreckus posted:

Sorry I was at Bonnaroo for the past 5 nights, I can go tonight.

You're off of AP I think (did from the web so who knows).

• Locked thread