Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Its not a mail fee. Its a listing fee. If you pay a set fee to place a buy order, regardless of how many in your order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bashez posted:

Can anyone explain how the commodity exchange works? I'm trying to buy stuff for 1s90c. It sells it to me for the asking price. The mail says the total price is 1s90c.

It's taking almost 6s.

People have been saying you get charged an extra 5s on all orders. It's dumb.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I decided on my main being an Esper. He is level 16 now, but the past couple of days I've been playing a bit on my Engineer and I'm having a lot of fun, especially in BGs. With my Esper I always felt like I was handicapped somehow - like my damage output wasn't very good compared to my ability to take damage.

I hope this isn't another case of Altitis.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Sab669 posted:

Was he an Engineer? They're extremely buggy. Like, literally "cannot be healed" level of bugs.

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48617-list-of-the-engineer-bugs/

A few pages back but yes, he was an engie. That's retarded. At least I know now.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
Engineer bot AI at it's finest: http://youtu.be/Kgi7d2n3e58?t=1h20m11s

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

It's almost as good as the Esper Geist AI!!!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

It must be difficult to program a decent bot AI. I remember WoW hunter pets having terrible AI when WoW first started too.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Koth posted:

I decided on my main being an Esper. He is level 16 now, but the past couple of days I've been playing a bit on my Engineer and I'm having a lot of fun, especially in BGs. With my Esper I always felt like I was handicapped somehow - like my damage output wasn't very good compared to my ability to take damage.

I hope this isn't another case of Altitis.

I leveled my esper intending to heal with it. Esper dps is not front loaded like stalkers or medics so it feels slow. It can be even slower speccing for utility like I did (heal/geist/cc break/shield/two forms of cc for elite mobs). Get esper out of the way if you want one. It'll be hard to stick with it otherwise.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

folgore posted:

A few pages back but yes, he was an engie. That's retarded. At least I know now.

Allegedly if the Engi / Healer flag themselves for PVP, it fixes it? I don't know, my only Engi friend is 15 levels below me so I've not tested.

In other news I just got this in the mail...?

Bitch be trippin, I'm fuckin fine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everyone eventually ends up as engineer.

Regarding bot AI literally the only thing they need to do to fix 90% of the issues with bots is add a periodic check of "IF distanceToPlayer > x THEN teleportToPlayer()"

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 12, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is everyone who's having trouble with the Engineer bot AI setting their bot to Assist? Notably the guy in that video was not. Ever since I started doing that I've had a lot fewer problems with my bots starting fights I don't want them to; it seems to limit them to helping me with my current target.

I mean, not that the game draws any attention to the bot menu or the button on it which lets you pick an AI mode, of course :downs:

Sab669 posted:

Allegedly if the Engi / Healer flag themselves for PVP, it fixes it? I don't know, my only Engi friend is 15 levels below me so I've not tested.

Lol at "\n\n". Looks like Wildstar's mail system doesn't parse escape characters like they thought. You need to start dating people who actually test their MMO mail scripts :colbert:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sab669 posted:

:wtc:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dosvidanya posted:

I leveled my esper intending to heal with it. Esper dps is not front loaded like stalkers or medics so it feels slow. It can be even slower speccing for utility like I did (heal/geist/cc break/shield/two forms of cc for elite mobs). Get esper out of the way if you want one. It'll be hard to stick with it otherwise.

It might not be front-loaded in terms of the first 3 GCDs but I can tell you that by the time all specs get into their 8th GCD or so (second mind burst), Esper is very much in line with most other classes and sustains well. It's also a spec that can adjust to cooldown usage very easily if you're used to using your OGCD builders properly.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Dosvidanya posted:

Maybe I should go full DPS on my Esper and not worry about healing until end game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; wrong thread.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Koth posted:

Maybe I should go full DPS on my Esper and not worry about healing until end game.

You should have a second spec, since you're 16. Just set up one for each, and pick up healer gear to keep in your bags when you can.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

Dosvidanya posted:

It's a blanket buff. If you do 1000 damage and you have 6% life steal, you heal for 60. There might be fringe cases where the healing gets buffed, but in general that's how it works.

Sab669 posted:

That sounds tremendously worthless.

It is most of the time but in some cases it's better than the alternatives. In a raid setting where you can do around 3000 dps, having a permanent self-sufficent 180 hps HoT on you without any kind of action or maintenance is really not all that horrible.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sab669 posted:

What even is this?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I love tanking in MMO's. Been doing it for 15 years now.

Getting the feeling that Warrior tanks are pretty awful.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Syrek posted:

It is most of the time but in some cases it's better than the alternatives. In a raid setting where you can do around 3000 dps, having a permanent self-sufficent 180 hps HoT on you without any kind of action or maintenance is really not all that horrible.
It's also really good on Warriors specifically when soloing/leveling because you usually do a huge burst of damage during a MoO which ends or nearly ends a fight, so you can take a little bit of incidental damage prior to the enemy casting and then get all the health back from the huge damage dump and end a fight at or near max health. Plus when soloing primes and the like any amount of self-healing is welcome and Lifesteal AMPs aren't limited by proc chance or internal cooldowns or Focus.

They're not necessarily worth taking on a dungeon build but they help a whole lot when leveling or questing.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You should also be getting the feeling that they'll probably fix that pretty fast.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Sab669 posted:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

loquacius posted:

Is everyone who's having trouble with the Engineer bot AI setting their bot to Assist? Notably the guy in that video was not. Ever since I started doing that I've had a lot fewer problems with my bots starting fights I don't want them to; it seems to limit them to helping me with my current target.
I said it before but I might as well parrot it again, also go into the Keybindings and look at the Pet Action Bar items. They all do specific pet commands but of course they're just labeled as numbers so you're going to have to gently caress around with them to find the right ones. I use Attack and Stop constantly and I have Dismiss handy for when they get hung up on poo poo. With the Attack button you can even have them round up weak guys for you and then AOE them all down at once. Send them after one bunch, then target another and hit Attack again and so on. You might even be able to get them to drag them together a bit if you follow it up with a Stop, but odds are they get hit and turn around right away.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Why? I haven't had any issues.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Sab669 posted:

e; wrong thread.

Which thread does this belong in? I would like to partake.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Hard to say. On my stalker I felt far squishier when the rng doesnt go my way. That's just my feeling.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

fadam posted:

A lot of people on several forums do have problems with threat generation and taking too much damage. While that might be an issue with building or playing wrong in some cases, I don't think all of them are.
Tanking performance in relation to DPS or HPS is spotty across the levels and it's like this in most other games too. The difference here might be that warriors got a particularly long bad spot in the leveling curve. They don't seem to be that far off from other tanks but this game is very punishing and that small difference can decide if a dungeon group wipes 2 times or so many times that it disbands.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Snatch Duster posted:

What even is this?

You periodically get random mail from NPCs. I got something earlier from "Your Number One Fan" talking about awesome I was and stuff. This was the most funny, though.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Koth posted:

That would be my suggestion. Espers aren't slow, it's a matter of perception I think because every other class is at full bore immediately in a fight or they get there quickly. Stalkers sometimes have to wait for suit power to come back between mobs but that's rare. Espers just lack that initial "oomph"of an alpha strike leveling since phantoms are living dots and you have to be in combat to start building psi points, but those fights ending at 4~5 points you can immediately dump on another mob are magical.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Patches

quote:

Hi All,

I made this post in response to someone who was sad, and many of you thought that this information should be made sticky so more eyeballs would see it. That sounded like a decent enough of an idea, and while I have a spare moment I figured I can copy and paste with the best of them. These types of posts that I make I call "over-explainy-Cougar mode" posts. While I can be concise and direct in my communications, sometimes my fingers just keep going. This was one of those times! For those of you who caught it in the original thread, there are some slight additions, so you might as well read the whole thing again B)

There are three main types of "deployments" we do to beta as a general rule of thumb.

Hotfix
These are the most extreme of emergencies, and are GENERALLY invisible to the player. We might have to restart all of the servers for it to take effect, or maybe we can put something up that will take effect the next time the code references it. (Generally speaking). A good example of when we've done this in the past is in one of the stress tests one of the Arkships didn't have the instance cap correctly set and there were over 250 players in the Dominion Arkship. So we hotfixed a change that put that instance cap in place, and voila! No more problem.

Content Patch (we are working on a cleaner/consistent name here - content patch? milestone patch? Monthly Drop?)
This is what everyone wants us to do ALL THE TIME. The development team branches the entirety of the development environment up to our staging environment. All of the art, all of the code, all of the quests, all of the bug fixes, ALL THE THINGS. Then we test the heck out of it. Then we give it to you. These full Content patches have pages and pages and pages of patch notes, and will contain the things that we've been working on for weeks, that have the subjective issues you care about, that hold the majority of the small minor bug fixes that our developers have been churning through on a day by day basis that no one really knows that they fixed, etc etc

How often do these hit? That's 100% dependent on the development cycle. Recently, we've been doing a branch every 4 weeks, but we might alternate between 4 and 5 going forward. Don't hold me to that though, as priorities change, as the development team adjusts how it does things, they have complete autonomy on when they decide how long they want to work. Once they branch, we make sure it gets to you in a timely fashion!

Weekly Patch
Okay, I have to take a quick detour here before I get into talking about what goes into this type of deployment.

Bug Triage. I love using this image when talking about Bug Triage.
http://www.americanm...000001/tape.jpg (bleh, too much white space to have this image in the post, go click!)

There are a small group of us who meet on a daily basis and triage all of the bugs in the game. Okay, so maybe we don't review ALL of them... I don't want to get ahead of myself though. In this daily meeting, we have to triage the bugs to figure out what are the most impacting, how severe they are, what bugs are worth the time/risk/effort of doing a hand integration into the weekly patch, and what (Frankly) can wait until the full content patch.

A broken side quest that we have fixed, we likely aren't going to triage high enough to include in a weekly patch. There is risk involved with hand integrating the code from our development branch into our staging (or Expressway!) branch that ultimately ends up Live on Beta. Progression blockers are another thing entirely. If your progression through content is honest to goodness blocked by a quest being bugged and there is no way for you to move through the story of the game, then ya we are going to get that fixed as soon as it is ready and tested. Crash bugs that are taking down everyone on Olyssia or Alizar we try to resolve and patch up as quick as we resolve them.

Every bug in the game is objectively categorized by our awesome QA team based on how it affects the game. A very noticeable bug that shows up in the first 15minutes of game play? That bug is higher on the scale than a monster ability that does slightly less damage on a single monster type well off the beaten path.

So even after our QA team sets these objective categories of "severity" we then have decide which ones we are going to include in the next weekly patch. We can't take all of our highest severity bugs carte blanche, what if three man weeks went into the code to resolve that one issue? Is it safe to integrate all of those changes to another branch - by hand? What ramifications on other systems will it have? Can we effectively test it in the short amount of time that these Weekly Patches see? OY VAY.

I can talk at length about bug triage and the decisions that go into that, and what I've outlined here are mere examples to give you a small glimpse at the insight that we use to triage a bug.

RIGHT SO back on topic - Weekly Patch. So we have a process in place that anyone in the company can flag a bug (or a task) for review by the daily "Critical Bugs" meeting. So while we don't look at every bug in the system and triage every bug daily, we do have a significant list of bugs that we go through on a daily basis and make a decision upon. Do we hound this developer to make sure it makes this patch? Do we just wait for it to clear QA naturally and make a decision to promote it once it is resolved? Do we hold a patch until this one bug is resolved (A "no-go" issue)? Do we disagree that this issue needs to hit out of cycle? The benefit of having it as a flag that can be set by anyone in the company is that we allow the various discipline experts to share with us their expertise. Even though our head of QA sits in on these meetings, sometimes it is even beyond her familiarity to know if a bug is important enough to warrant inclusion in the daily meeting. So, for an example, a zone lead can flag an issue for review because THEY know it is important to their content. This empowerment means that the really big issues WILL bubble up. We still have to triage them, but it is better to make a decision on an item (even in the negative) than to not ever triage an issue to begin with because we didn't see it.

Another thing that we do is something called the Live Response Report. Every week I corral a representative from the "input departments" (for the lack of a cool word), specifically QA, CS, and Community, and they bring their individual Top 10 Issues list from the last week to the meeting. Those lists are going to be the Top Issues as it pertains to those specific departments. Each of those representatives crawl through their sphere of responsibility and figure out what the most important issues are for their sphere of influence. So community will crawl through the forums, check various emails, they'd look through social media if we didn't have an NDA, etc. QA looks at bug reports on the forums and from the in game /bug submissions. etc. From these three Top 10 lists we create a global WildStar Live Response Top Issues list. I turn this into a company wide email that talks about Beta News, has a bunch of Beta metrics, and has these Top Issues in it. We also try and put a action item response to each of these top issues. One of the examples from this last week's report was the Guild size issue that popped up on the forums here. The action item on this was that we needed to get a meeting scheduled between the various stakeholders to discuss the concerns and figure out what/if anything we wanted to do to address those concerns. Things like this tend to not show up in a weekly patch, because it takes time to build a consensus, schedule it out, and then get it implemented. But we do make changes based on your feedback, and we do look at that feedback weekly.

(Keep in mind my perspective; I view WildStar from the highest of vantage points. I deal with top 10 lists that boil down into another top 10 list. Do not take this to mean that other developers who have specific sphere's of influence aren't reading and acting on the smaller, more focused issues. Those just don't tend to boil up to my vantage point. If a Spellslinger ability could use some tweaking it will be seen by the classes team, I just won't necessarily hear about it. If I do, it's probably because someone has been exploiting it in PVP and it is affecting lots of people across the product :) )

In short (ha!), the Weekly Patch is designed to be a smaller, targeted, batch of fixes that have bubbled up to the top of our triage list for one issue or another AND that can be solved faster than the Content Patch cycle. These are almost always service issues, or blocker issues, but occasionally they can address a subjective issue if it is small enough in scope to resolve.

Another naming conundrum; the Weekly Patch sometimes happens more than once a week. So while we try to at least patch once a week to deploy some of these triaged issues, sometimes we don't want to wait for that other issue to clear QA so we go with a batch of things on day 1 and then two days later put up the other thing with another weekly patch. This happens most frequently after a Content Patch hits Beta.

Thus ends Over-Explainy-Cougar Mode.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dosvidanya posted:

That would be my suggestion. Espers aren't slow, it's a matter of perception I think because every other class is at full bore immediately in a fight or they get there quickly. Stalkers sometimes have to wait for suit power to come back between mobs but that's rare. Espers just lack that initial "oomph"of an alpha strike leveling since phantoms are living dots and you have to be in combat to start building psi points, but those fights ending at 4~5 points you can immediately dump on another mob are magical.

The trick to offsetting this is to pull multiple mobs while building to mind burst and then to AoE them down.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

fadam posted:

I'm only level 24 mind you. Avoid all the telegraphed attacks, pop all my cooldowns, have a lot of tank gear and custom built tank weapons. Use food, use defensive gadgets, use technologist stuff, Good selection of amp points- still get smashed by bosses.

I imagine it's going to be better at 50 but still, frustrating.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 12, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm only level 24 mind you. Avoid all the telegraphed attacks, pop all my cooldowns, have a lot of tank gear and custom built tank weapons. Good selection of amp points- still get smashed by bosses.

I imagine it's going to be better at 50 but still, frustrating.

Blame the healer. I do.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

Blame the healer. I do.

It is fairly plausible that the healer just had zero Support Power and couldn't keep 'em up. Some MMO's don't really require you to gear for the early dungeons, and some do.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Blame the healer. I do.

It's a great case for the low level tank effectiveness of engineers since if they can't dodge out of red telegraphs, they can't dodge out of your heals lol.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is it just me or does it not really seem like it's worth trying to kite/dodge mob autoattacks? Outside of the occasional long telegraph I don't seem to really be able to reliably open the distance, so I basically just face-tank white damage and just worry about evading the red.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Is it just me or does it not really seem like it's worth trying to kite/dodge mob autoattacks? Outside of the occasional long telegraph I don't seem to really be able to reliably open the distance, so I basically just face-tank white damage and just worry about evading the red.

Don't think you can unless you can blink out of range or something. I'm still used to having evade frames while dodging from GW2 so sometimes I try to dodge the white damage and it never works.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I mean, you can't really dodge mob white attacks outside of deflecting them, so if you're tanking expect to get hit with them. Telegraphs will be the vast majority of the damage you can take, though!

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
it sounds like they have a really hosed up integration process if there's that much risk involved in pushing major but non-emergency bugfixes into weekly patches.

kinda disappointing because there's a ton of aggravatingly lovely bugs in abilities and content that won't get fixed for another couple weeks :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Ugh. Can anyone tell me when I am able to get out of Farside? It's not that it's boring or anything, but my computer tanks the moment I set foot and move around in that area even at the lowest settings.

Guess I'll finally bite the Intell bullet if this happens in raids.

• Locked thread