Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hegay posted:

Platini is the lesser evil

Yeah, I've read that Blatter said he wanted to remove world cup spots from UEFA and give them to AFC/CAF, while Platini "merely" wants to add more wc spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Platini was the one FIFA exec dumb enough to vote for Qatar without allegedly getting a nice bung out of it. He's no better.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Hegay posted:

Platini is the lesser evil

I'm not convinced of this tbh

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
choosing between Blatter and Platini is like choosing the condiment on a sandwich made of faeces and vomit.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Platini has given smaller nations a chance to qualify for Champions League and also given us FFP, which is retarded in it's current version but still a step in the right direction. Infinitely better than Blatter.

This previous week Blatter has been speaking about inter-planetary football cups and the ability to challenge decisions like in Tennis

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Hegay posted:

This previous week Blatter has been speaking about inter-planetary football cups and the ability to challenge decisions like in Tennis

Honestly, given how obviously wrong some of the refs' decisions can be, I think that ANY form of video verification is a step in the right direction. Not to imply that Blatter isn't the cancer of the football world, just that imho this particular proposition actually has some merit.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Aumanor posted:

Honestly, given how obviously wrong some of the refs' decisions can be, I think that ANY form of video verification is a step in the right direction. Not to imply that Blatter isn't the cancer of the football world, just that imho this particular proposition actually has some merit.

Hi I think you wanted this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639574

or this one

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368573

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Aumanor posted:

It all evens out

K U N T Z
Dec 29, 2008

The Lot Of You...
I can't wait for the unprecedented levels of match fixing, that will make the S. Korean run to the semi-final in 2002 look completely fair and reasonable, that will be required for Qatar to win the world cup.

Reminder that the ref in the controversial 2002 S. Korea v Italy game, Byron Moreno, Gave S. Korea a pen (which they missed), disallowed an Italy golden goal and sent off Totti for diving in a game where the Koreans basically beat the poo poo out of anything that moved.
S. Korea won 2-1 in extra time.

A month later that same ref was banned for 20 matches after reffing a league game and playing 13 mins of injury time (after indicating 6) when the home team was losing 2-3. The home team equalized and scored the winner in the 101st minute. Moreno faked the goal times on the match report so it didn't look so suspicious.

3 games back from his ban he sent off three players on one team and got banned again, after which he retired.

In 2010 he was convicted of smuggling 6k of heroin into JFK.

It is funny that Italy got cheated out of a game though.

In the quarter final against Spain, the ref disallowed two Spain goals, at least one of which was perfectly legitimate.

Blatter's response to corruption rumours: "Any allegations of a conspiracy in favour of Korea Republic are dismissed in their entirety."

So, no investigation necessary then and none now, imho.

#trustBlatter #Blatterissuffering

K U N T Z fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 12, 2014

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Video refs are generally seen as bad for the flow of the game. I'm all for goal line but keep the power of refs and enhance the ability for FAs to overturn / enforce punishment post match imo

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
gently caress that. Don't change anything. The game is perfect.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Hegay posted:

Platini has given smaller nations a chance to qualify for Champions League and also given us FFP, which is retarded in it's current version but still a step in the right direction. Infinitely better than Blatter.

Platini was elected UEFA presidency on about the same grounds as Blatter and has just been easier to hide he's a poo poo. Platini's programme basically means the big clubs can have their branding everywhere in the world and the small clubs just have to hope some bloke is interested in 'their brand' - same with international football. It was Platini's doing that hosed over the Turkish bid for Euro 2016 and also his idea that has the Euros now just be a tour of Your Best Teams.

Like Eric Cantona said, it's the plague or cholera, and I sort of hope some random git like Infantino goes for it.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

The Mash posted:

gently caress that. Don't change anything. The game is perfect.

just kill blatter and platini

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I will outlive blatter. I will see his carcass on a caskett, even if my health deteriorates, I am determined to make it

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ka0 posted:

I will outlive blatter. I will see his carcass on a caskett, even if my health deteriorates, I am determined to make it

I'm cautiously optimistic that I have a shot at outliving him and I'm thirty.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

It's some Portrait of Dorian Gray type of thing where Sepp looks the same forever as football becomes more and more of a desiccated corpse.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

MoPZiG posted:

Platini was the one FIFA exec dumb enough to vote for Qatar without allegedly getting a nice bung out of it. He's no better.

Bullshit, Platani's son got a job with a Qatar firm after Qatar won: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/03/uefa-president-qatar-bid-bin-hammam

Blatter's going to win the vote anyway, he's got the corrupt fucks in CAF and the Caribbean licking the poo poo out of his rear end in a top hat.

The only way to fix this poo poo is if Michael Garcia's report actually shows significant evidence (unlikely since he's being hired by FIFA) or the rest of the First World gets tired of FIFA's poo poo and stops supporting the World Cup (also incredibly unlikely).

Even if Qatar won the vote entirely legitimately the worker abuse should have been enough to kill the bid; regardless of the heat, social policies, quality of the host's team, and lack of infrastructure. All are things unrelated to the corruption and really should have killed the bid in the cradle.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Bullshit, Platani's son got a job with a Qatar firm after Qatar won: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/03/uefa-president-qatar-bid-bin-hammam

Blatter's going to win the vote anyway, he's got the corrupt fucks in CAF and the Caribbean licking the poo poo out of his rear end in a top hat.

The only way to fix this poo poo is if Michael Garcia's report actually shows significant evidence (unlikely since he's being hired by FIFA) or the rest of the First World gets tired of FIFA's poo poo and stops supporting the World Cup (also incredibly unlikely).

Even if Qatar won the vote entirely legitimately the worker abuse should have been enough to kill the bid; regardless of the heat, social policies, quality of the host's team, and lack of infrastructure. All are things unrelated to the corruption and really should have killed the bid in the cradle.

Yeah but this is partly the point. Russia almost certainly also bribed the gently caress out of FIFA for their World Cup, as likely did Brazil. However those countries are actually able to hold a World Cup in the summer and also have infrastructure to host it, and while they don't have the best human rights records at least they don't have a literal legal slave trade, so people don't care as much.

Picking Qatar is so blatantly about anything other than football it's just ridiculous. I honestly think people would care less if it was held in loving Iran, as at least they have a semblance of footballing history to back them up.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, Russia you can grumble and complain a bit, but it's not a ridiculously offensive choice. Qatar was just absolutely blatant corruption from top to bottom.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
cool, gilberto silva and roberto martinez.

LOL if you're stuck with adrian chiles ahahhahaahahahahahHHSHHAHAHAHAHA

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, Russia you can grumble and complain a bit, but it's not a ridiculously offensive choice. Qatar was just absolutely blatant corruption from top to bottom.
They were both dependent on each other though, it was for all intents and purposes a combined bid.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Smirr posted:

RIP Michel Platini but also good riddance

I will miss his travel shows.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Dravs posted:

Yeah but this is partly the point. Russia almost certainly also bribed the gently caress out of FIFA for their World Cup, as likely did Brazil. However those countries are actually able to hold a World Cup in the summer and also have infrastructure to host it, and while they don't have the best human rights records at least they don't have a literal legal slave trade, so people don't care as much.

Picking Qatar is so blatantly about anything other than football it's just ridiculous. I honestly think people would care less if it was held in loving Iran, as at least they have a semblance of footballing history to back them up.

brazil didnt need to bribe anyone, its a massive country who absolutely love football, and they deserve to host it. russia has the infrastructure but a madman in charge and did deals with qatar so they could both win their bids. Qatar are not a footballing nation, okay fine, that we could all deal with, but so blatantly bribing everyone to get to host it, alongside its love of slavery, is not something anyone should be happy with.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
https://twitter.com/ESPN_JorgeRamos/status/477215685559742464

quote:

Via @ESPN_JorgeRamos: ALERTA: #FIFA llamó a #USSoccer para que tenga listo un Comité Organizador para el 2022. No habría #Mundial en #Qatar

FIFA called US Soccer to have an organizing committee for 2022. No world cup in Qatar.

Ummm.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
It's...coming home?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Lamont Cranston posted:

It's...coming home?

It is. Americans take what the Middle East thinks is theirs.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I'm thinking it's probably more of a "Hey, US, have a back-up plan ready to go if this whole thing doesn't work (we don't get more bribes)."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
They're going to pretend to accept bids again and then give it to Qatar again anyway. I hope US Soccer just copy/pastes what they had in 2012 and doesn't spend an extra dime.

Aside from flying Clinton out again so he can smash up some more mirrors in Zurich.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

stickyfngrdboy posted:

brazil didnt need to bribe anyone, its a massive country who absolutely love football, and they deserve to host it. russia has the infrastructure but a madman in charge and did deals with qatar so they could both win their bids. Qatar are not a footballing nation, okay fine, that we could all deal with, but so blatantly bribing everyone to get to host it, alongside its love of slavery, is not something anyone should be happy with.

I don't have a problem with Brazil hosting it, but I'm pretty sure when FIFA announced the 2014 World Cup would go to South America, Argentina didn't even make a bid and Colombia withdrew theirs so Brazil won by default.

I'm sure it was a completely legitimate process.

edit:

Sepp Blatter posted:

"Colombia's bid is more of a public relations presentation of the country to say that we are alive not only in other headlines but also in football"

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 13, 2014

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Apparently, USSF head Sunil Gulati has denied those reports to a NY Times reporter:

https://twitter.com/SamBorden/status/477234412346548224

quote:

Sunil Gulati, flatly denied FIFA has approached them re: '22 WC. "They haven't asked us and I cannot imagine it happening anytime soon."

https://twitter.com/SamBorden/status/477234588398264320

quote:

Just spoke to Gulati, who is president of US Soccer and FIFA ExCo member. Could not have been more forceful in saying no approach made.

https://twitter.com/SamBorden/status/477234927746834432

quote:

Literally just spoke to Gulati, who was completely surprised by report. "Simply not true," he told @nytimes.

Of course, Gulati is a conniving little rear end in a top hat so who knows?! :shrug:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

aesop jones posted:

It is. Americans take what the Middle East thinks is theirs.
Soccer (Football, Fútbol) Is Coming Home :911:

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

Sky Shadowing posted:

Here is an image of Putin watching Russian state majority owned oil & gas company Gazprom sign a sponsorship deal reputably for two hundred million that runs from 2015-2018.

Oil & gas totally had a firm hand shake on both world cup deals.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27841486

FIFA have banned Franz Beckenbauer for 90 days. I assume they're trying to scapegoat him.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27841486

FIFA have banned Franz Beckenbauer for 90 days. I assume they're trying to scapegoat him.

But Beckenbauer of all? This is just getting ridiculous.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tetsman posted:

But Beckenbauer of all? This is just getting ridiculous.

He was silly enough to get caught with the watches.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Here is an image of Putin watching Russian state majority owned oil & gas company Gazprom sign a sponsorship deal reputably for two hundred million that runs from 2015-2018.

Oil & gas totally had a firm hand shake on both world cup deals.

Oh I don't meant there's no corruption, it was almost certainly as tainted as the Qatar bid, but if there were to have been no corruption whatsoever, you could believe that Russia could host the World Cup, while there is legitimately no way Qatar could have ever won the bid without you knowing full well that it was because the were showering FIFA with bribes.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I have this mental image of Beckenbauer with a bunch of watches strapped to his forearm, worn under a trench coat, like some stereotypical 70's street vendor of stolen watches.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Haiti will be awarded the 2026 World Cup if the current trends in selection for the big sports events continue.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 13, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

serious gaylord posted:

Reality is even sillier: they send him some questions to answer in English, Beckenbauer asked them to send them in German, they didn't, so he didn't answer them, so they hit him with a ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Jaramin posted:

Haiti will be awarded the 2026 World Cup if the current trends in selection for the big sports events continue.

Seychelles 2030! All stadiums will be built on rafts!