Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Found on BringATrailer:

A Pontiac El Camino concept. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to duplicate if you really wanted to, I'm not seeing anything radically different behind the firewall?

Yeah, even the body lines on the lower half are the same. New nose, front quarters and hood, some emblems....

Here is the 72

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Found on BringATrailer:

A Pontiac El Camino concept. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to duplicate if you really wanted to, I'm not seeing anything radically different behind the firewall?

I would think any 68-72 A-body sheet metal would probably bolt right on.

That reminds me of a 68-72 Chevy truck that some guy around here has done up as a Pontiac. It definitely got my attention the first time I saw it. Unfortunately, I haven't had any opportunities to get any pictures.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Slavvy posted:

God I'd kill for this.

http://www.normandinchryslerjeep.net/jeep-wrangler-jk-8-pickup-conversion-kit.htm

Seems reasonable. I was thinking it'd be easier to do to the stock 2-door. Seems like you could just put a short canopy on that one. This one requires new body panels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That reminds me of a 68-72 Chevy truck that some guy around here has done up as a Pontiac. It definitely got my attention the first time I saw it. Unfortunately, I haven't had any opportunities to get any pictures.

That would take some work, and I'd appreciate a pic if you're ever so lucky :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

That would take some work, and I'd appreciate a pic if you're ever so lucky :)

I figured you would. I saw it a few times last summer pulling into the same restaurant for breakfast. I drive by that place every day on the way to work, but haven't seen him again. If I do, I need to get some pictures.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Kenshin posted:

Unfortunately the license plate holder juuuust about warps it around to awful.

"Observe and weep as I hold this pedal down and press this button!"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I refuse to believe Tom Jones drives a "sissy vehicle". :colbert:

bung posted:

I won't disparage the participants of Gumball for being rich. But it is an incredibly narcissistic event and pretty much every entrant looks like a complete douche bag.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I made my way to Ingolstadt, Germany over the weekend to visit the Audi museum thing. Here's a hint: it kind of sucks, they didn't even have a real Group-B rally car there. I got to see some generic Group-A stuff and a road racer or two, then basically their standard consumer cars. Granted, the cars had some great technological features at the time, but honestly were still pretty much boring crap. poo poo, you'd think they'd plaster the walls with Group-B and the LeMans cars with their incredible successes in each field, but there's barely any mention of them. I'd say avoid it unless you're really close to Ingolstadt, but if you're making a trip just go see the BMW Museum in Munich if you like old race cars/motorcycles. BMW has a loving poo poo-ton of them.

That said, I did get to see the old Auto Union race cars which were amazing. They had the Type C and Type D on display.

Type C

Type D

Driver's Seat Type D

Suicidal Maniac'sDriver's Seat Type C

(Please forgive the wonky fisheye pictures - Audi stuffed them in a tiny area behind a solid wall and you didn't have much room to step back.)

The Auto Union Type C was by far my favorite, though.

6-liter, 520 HP V-16? Check.
250 MPH* top speed? Check.
Drum brakes all around? :unsmigghh:

The Type C also had this bizarre "Dualie" setup in the rear, which was just fantastic. I don't know the details on it, but I imagine it was their way of getting the power to the ground when wide slicks weren't even conceived, as this model came out in 1937. It's really odd because in all the other Type C stuff I've seen I haven't seen a photo of these rear wheels in use. Reading about the design though, a few websites claim they didn't really need the first gear in the transmission because of the ungodly torque produced by the V-16, so they blanked out the first gear in the 5-speed gearbox used in the Type A, giving the finished racer a 4-speed gearbox.

*Regarding 250mph top speed - This might not be 100% true as I had read on some websites that the cars only went from 172-195mph based on configuration. However, the panels at the museum stated specifically 250mph for the Type C, but then again, many of the exhibits were rife with spelling errors. It checks out with the km/h to MPH conversion from German, so who knows. Drum brakes. :unsmigghh:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Heid the Ball posted:

Charger done up as the General Lee

Come on, it says Challenger right on the grille!

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?

N is for Nipples posted:

Come on, it says Challenger right on the grille!

Apologies, my poor eyesight.

Should be a Charger though, to match up with the original show?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Model-name wise, yes Body-shape wise, no, since the Charger is now a four-door five-person sedan and the Challenger looks more like the old Charger than the Charger does.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ripoff posted:

The Type C also had this bizarre "Dualie" setup in the rear, which was just fantastic. I don't know the details on it, but I imagine it was their way of getting the power to the ground when wide slicks weren't even conceived, as this model came out in 1937. It's really odd because in all the other Type C stuff I've seen I haven't seen a photo of these rear wheels in use. Reading about the design though, a few websites claim they didn't really need the first gear in the transmission because of the ungodly torque produced by the V-16, so they blanked out the first gear in the 5-speed gearbox used in the Type A, giving the finished racer a 4-speed gearbox.

*Regarding 250mph top speed - This might not be 100% true as I had read on some websites that the cars only went from 172-195mph based on configuration. However, the panels at the museum stated specifically 250mph for the Type C, but then again, many of the exhibits were rife with spelling errors. It checks out with the km/h to MPH conversion from German, so who knows. Drum brakes. :unsmigghh:

The Saboteur wasn't making poo poo up??

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I want one. Badly.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

The Saboteur wasn't making poo poo up??

God I love that game. I wish it lasted forever. There was so much map they didn't end up using for missions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I'm guessing Gojira was taken?

My former GTR owning friend had that on hers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Twin Cadillac 500, all-wheel-drive widebody Yugo.

http://bangshift.com/general-news/sponsor/ridetech-calling-bring-weird-rear end-car-indy-weekend-goodguys-show-win-stuff/

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

1200 pounds of car, 1200 pounds of engine.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

bung posted:

I won't disparage the participants of Gumball for being rich. But it is an incredibly narcissistic event and pretty much every entrant looks like a complete douche bag.

The one person who I know who does it fits right into that character mold.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:siren: TURN YOUR VOLUME RIGHT THE gently caress DOWN! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAkrzEqHHyA

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

88h88 posted:

America.mp4

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

88h88 posted:

Who doesn't love jet powered semi trucks? Also carbon offset lol

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Wheeeeee!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kinetic friction's a bitch.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Speaking of friction, the Jet Truck videos show how inefficient jets are at low speed compared to wheel traction: 36,000 horsepower (for the semi) to run a 6.0-second 137 mph pass, vs "only" 10,000 for a Top Fuel car to run low 4's at 330+.

Now, that said, they are absolutely the most :rock: way to power a vehicle.

....almost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIfb4vIZOQ&t=60s

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Steam dragsters are bonkers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDI5h8JQE0

If I understand it correctly, they use a pressure vessel capable of keeping water a liquid way past its boiling point, release a small dump valve which boils all of the water all at once, creating a pressure spike that triggers the main nozzle and sends it flying. There is no throttle.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968
Nova goes in the other thread, dumbarse!

Have a Prototype Gun Truck, based on a Bedford MK (taken at the overlord show in hampshire)

Anghammarad fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 11, 2014

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I need this in desktop size.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

I want all of them.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

2 R34s and 2 R35s but no Kenmeri?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I need this in desktop size.

Ditto.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

donut posted:

2 R34s and 2 R35s but no Kenmeri?

I am shocked and saddened that I have never before seen the Kenmeri's rear end. :drat:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

RillAkBea posted:

I am shocked and saddened that I have never before seen the Kenmeri's rear end. :drat:

Really? The rear lights are really beautiful units. This is CG but for some reason there's no decent close-ups...

edit: ah!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stupid aerodynamics dooming us to an eternity of ugly car asses. I want the pre-1980's back.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

I like how this angle hides how bloated the car got over time since the latest are farther away. I'd love to see this same setup from the side then the front for maximum growth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

davebo posted:

I like how this angle hides how bloated the car got over time since the latest are farther away. I'd love to see this same setup from the side then the front for maximum growth.

There was a picture like that floating around several years ago, but it was for the Accord or Camry or some other beige boredom machine. They had like 15 years of the things lined up and illustrating how bulky cars have grown.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

davebo posted:

I noticed the fading rear glass size myself. You can add cameras for visibility, but you can add anything to make the greenhouse feel nice and open again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011