Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I think Major squeaked by on the lowest majority you can govern on at around 20, and even he lost his majority by Christmas 1996.

That said, without Scotland:

• 1992: Conservative majority of 71.
  • 1997: Labour majority of 139.
  • 2001: Labour majority of 128.
  • 2005: Labour majority of 43.
  • 2010: Conservative majority of 27.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, look, Nigel's been up to no good. Again. Hey, he could have bought these water cannons himself. :v:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27818780

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
I've quite enjoyed the last week or so of no UKIP coverage.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My nephew's just been given voluntary redundancy from the army- he'll be getting over £30,000 for the privilege! I wonder why I bothered with uni sometimes (okay, that's a lie, a lot of times).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Squalitude posted:

My nephew's just been given voluntary redundancy from the army- he'll be getting over £30,000 for the privilege! I wonder why I bothered with uni sometimes (okay, that's a lie, a lot of times).

Good timing what with Iraq flaring up again in the 10 year tradition.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Do we leave the keys under the doormat or something because the Iraq situation is getting pretty absurd.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Do we leave the keys under the doormat or something because the Iraq situation is getting pretty absurd.
No, we hung the only guy who could keep a lid on that poo poo.

Then we completely dismantled his powerbase, just in case someone else decided they might like the job.

But there were elections, so whatevs bro, spreading democracy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

There was a talking head on the radio this morning who was basically saying "gently caress it, let them try and build a state, nothing else has worked so far". I mean he dressed it up but that's what it boils down to, and I suspect (as long as they don't gently caress with the oil) this is going to be the policy of the western powers.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

According to shock doctrine we/the usa fired most of their army immediately after the invasion but forgot to take away their guns

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tooterfish posted:

No, we hung the only guy who could keep a lid on that poo poo.
Cerv's going to pick you up on that. Unless you have insider information on how Saddam was hung :heysexy:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cerv can bring it, I have a citation ready and everything!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Looks like the music's about to stop:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27825643

quote:

The governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, has signalled that interest rates may rise this year.

In a keynote speech, Mr Carney said that a rate rise "could happen sooner than markets currently expect".

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Hello to the next prime minis... just, no.

Also goodbye Labour support in Liverpool I guess.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

twoot posted:

Interestingly, the only political leader I have not seen posing with that Arse wipe paper is big Nige.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Nigel Farage has managed to appear relatively sensible for the first time ever

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Sun called him a racist so I'm not surprised.

Strange timing that in the days that the hacking trials are coming to a close all the major leaders of British government are posing with the flagship paper of the company most embroiled in the scandal.

What a dickhead Ed looks in that picture. I bet we could get him to eat a spider if we told him it would make him one of the cool kids.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Trickjaw posted:

Interestingly, the only political leader I have not seen posing with that Arse wipe paper is big Nige.

And I thought they wanted a "no" result for the Scottish referendum.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

twoot posted:

Is he actually left handed?

What is he holding in the original picture?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Seems to fit with what LemonDrizzle posted earlier, about Gideon handing the BoE more regulatory powers over banks.

Namely buck passing and oh well it's not our fault, the Bank of England has all the policy tools it needs you see, they're in control of all this!

twoot posted:

I guess the one plus is that he looks like he can barely stand to touch the thing. He looks haunted

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twoot posted:

I'm going to print out this picture, frame it and hang it on my wall so any time I feel homesick for the UK I can look at it and know I made the right call

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

And one night you'll get up, and the picture will be of an empty chair...

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Tortuga posted:

Is he actually left handed?

What is he holding in the original picture?

It was on The Sun's official twitter.

also The Mayor of Liverpool isn't best pleased

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Turns out when the Trussel Trust talks about the dire food bank situation, they're actually holding back

quote:

Exclusive: Food bank charity ‘was threatened with closure by minister’s aide’
Chair of the Trussell Trust admits it had decided to become less vocal about food poverty in the wake of the incident

A senior aide to Iain Duncan Smith was accused last night of threatening to “shut down” Britain’s main provider of food banks, in a bitter row over allegations of the “politicisation of poverty”.

Chris Mould, chair of the Trussell Trust, told The Independent that he had been warned during a private conversation that the “Government might try to shut you down” over its public campaigning on the plight of people unable to feed themselves or their families.

While Mr Mould would not reveal the identity of the person concerned, The Independent understands from sources that it was the Conservative MP Andrew Selous, parliamentary private secretary to Mr Duncan Smith, the Work and Pensions Secretary.

However last night Mr Selous strongly denied having been the individual concerned. “Your allegation is wholly false, I’ve never said that. And I actually helped set up a Trussell Trust food bank in my constituency.”

Details of the encounter, which allegedly took place in March last year, were given in evidence to the Panel on the Independence of the Voluntary Sector earlier this week.

Mr Mould said: “This was somebody telling me something which was probably being conveyed to me as a message from ministerial level.” He added, “It was said in anger”, and that the conversation got back to “a sensible place”. However he said the incident “exposes the way in which people in the political world think”, which he said “is quite often private, quite often secret, quite often slightly malevolent, with intent”.

Mr Mould also admitted that the charity had decided to become less vocal about food poverty in the wake of the incident.

More at the link but yep. This happened last year, but with things like Oxfam being reported to the Charity Commission for pointing out the problems that exist in the UK it seems like this is something that goes on a lot. Not surprising of course

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crane Fist posted:

I'm going to print out this picture, frame it and hang it on my wall so any time I feel homesick for the UK I can look at it and know I made the right call

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Turns out when the Trussel Trust talks about the dire food bank situation, they're actually holding back

More at the link but yep. This happened last year, but with things like Oxfam being reported to the Charity Commission for pointing out the problems that exist in the UK it seems like this is something that goes on a lot. Not surprising of course

Tories not so happy with community and charity organisation "big Society" style if they don't sing their tune of benevolent munificence of betters towards the poor do they...

[edit] Also lol about the concept of a non-political charity and campaigning organisation. In the end everything which aims to create change in a society is political.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well really they mean partisan or party-political, but it's really helpful for their opponents to blur those language lines! You can imply all kinds of ulterior motives and unseemly behaviour, just by pointing out basic facts in an accusing voice.

I'm a big fan of politicians accusing other politicians of 'politics'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Munin posted:

Tories not so happy with community and charity organisation "big Society" style if they don't sing their tune of benevolent munificence of betters towards the poor do they...

[edit] Also lol about the concept of a non-political charity and campaigning organisation. In the end everything which aims to create change in a society is political.

What? No, you're totally off-base here mate. Poverty will be a fact of life for as long as shiftless, lazy, workshy scroungers can go along and get free Sky and free food, no questions asked. :torysay:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

twoot posted:

It looks like the kind of photo the families of kidnap victims get to prove their relative is still alive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twoot posted:

I can't see a picture of Ed Miliband without thinking of Matthew Kellog, the con man turned terrorist in Continuum.

Perhaps Miliband has a secret plan to bring down Big Business and prevent the dystopian corporate future?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

tooterfish posted:

Cerv can bring it, I have a citation ready and everything!

Pics or gtfo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

twoot posted:

Unelectable.jpg

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

twoot posted:

So charismatic.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
In other news, Cameron has completely hosed up with regard to the EU and Junker. He's lost control of the European Conservatives and Reformists bloc, who have taken in the Alternative for Europe Party from Germany, pissed of Merkel even further, and the S&D and EPP blocs have now unified behind Junker. It's all
So
Beautiful

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
In the run-up the the next general elections, Ed is touring the many soulless towns of the UK to stand outside branches of Greggs with the plebs and talk about how Labour can hate the immigrants too, if only they could have a good chance. One night, his transport breaks down, and to get to the streets of Basildon the next day he has to catch a train, but it's late night, and services are rare, and station comforts closed. His stomach gurgles. The steaky bake he forced down himself before a generic pint earlier on has not agreed with him, and he knows what is imminent. His aides are trying to find a public toilet or open pub for a future potential prime-minister to take a good old fashioned wet poo poo. But it's too late. On walking to a taxi, even a gentle amble is enough to trigger his intestines into open revolt, and he ducks into a bush, drops trou and delivers a pebble dashing to the station wall and the back of his lovingly crafted loafers.

The pissheads with camera phones who were just in the right place at the right time, capture his expression just on release. And it's the same loving expression

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

In other news, Cameron has completely hosed up with regard to the EU and Junker. He's lost control of the European Conservatives and Reformists bloc, who have taken in the Alternative for Europe Party from Germany, pissed of Merkel even further, and the S&D and EPP blocs have now unified behind Junker. It's all
So
Beautiful

Ooh, sauce for an overview?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

twoot posted:

Who does this man have advising him?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

In the run-up the the next general elections, Ed is touring the many soulless towns of the UK to stand outside branches of Greggs with the plebs and talk about how Labour can hate the immigrants too, if only they could have a good chance. One night, his transport breaks down, and to get to the streets of Basildon the next day he has to catch a train, but it's late night, and services are rare, and station comforts closed. His stomach gurgles. The steaky bake he forced down himself before a generic pint earlier on has not agreed with him, and he knows what is imminent. His aides are trying to find a public toilet or open pub for a future potential prime-minister to take a good old fashioned wet poo poo. But it's too late. On walking to a taxi, even a gentle amble is enough to trigger his intestines into open revolt, and he ducks into a bush, drops trou and delivers a pebble dashing to the station wall and the back of his lovingly crafted loafers.

The pissheads with camera phones who were just in the right place at the right time, capture his expression just on release. And it's the same loving expression

Poetry Dan, Poetry.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pesmerga posted:

So
Beautiful

I'm not sure that's really anything to celebrate but yes, Cameron really has made a huge pig's ear of this. It's hard to credit that anyone could outdo Labour's ineptitude in the European Parliament, but he's managed it with aplomb.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Darth Walrus posted:

Ooh, sauce for an overview?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/06/12/uk-eu-britain-parliament-idUKKBN0EN0R720140612

quote:

The tally of the secret ballot was not released but members said it was 29 votes for, 26 against. Two members of Cameron's Conservatives defied his call to vote against AfD, sources said. Had they obeyed, the German party would have been rejected.

Whoops.

Bonus poo poo sandwich:

quote:

As well as the AfD, the group has taken in the far-right, anti-immigrant Danish People's Party and the Finns, a nationalist Finnish party that has shaken up domestic politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Pissflaps posted:

Who does this man have advising him?

Some poor SPAD somewhere is going to get in trouble for that pic.

• Locked thread