Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I mean it'll probably be whatever the newspaper adaptation of it is.

Wait, has the newspaper strip done Doc Ock and Aunt May's marriage yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

I mean it'll probably be whatever the newspaper adaptation of it is.

Wait, has the newspaper strip done Doc Ock and Aunt May's marriage yet?

Lee himself wrote that story. Would he really wanna retread it?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Lee himself wrote that story. Would he really wanna retread it?

His brother that does newspaper spider-man might :v:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I liked most of Superior Spider-Man and am okay with mostly liking Slott's work.

That said this was one of the most boring issues of Spider-Man I've ever read. Learning to Crawl sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That Gwen will obviously be ported over to 616 where she will be horrifically injured and die in Peter's arms.

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010
Read Kindt and Rudy's MK Spider-Man tonight. As much as those last pages warmed my Spider-Man & Mary Jane-lovin' heart, I'm not sure if I think it managed to completely stick the landing but it was a fun fever-dream of a ride and Kindt writes a great Peter.

Hinoarashi fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hinoarashi posted:

Read Kindt and Rudy's MK Spider-Man tonight. As much as those last pages warmed my Spider-Man & Mary Jane-lovin' heart, I'm not sure if I think it managed to completely stick the landing but it was a fun fever-dream of a ride and Kindt writes a great Peter.

Marco Rudy is a great artist and I can't wait for his Dr. Strange NA Annual.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The NA Annual was amazing, both in writing and art.

ASM 3 was not that good, just pushing forward Black Cat as an enemy of Spider-Man due to the stuff in Superior Spider-Man. We got some pages of the other girl bitten by the spider and it seems she was locked up by Ezekiel. I kind of like the early JMS stuff (before The Other) and I know I'm a terrible person for that; still, I can't bring myself to care for that "mistery"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm reading through the second grade of Scarlet Spider now, and really enjoying it, but there's one issue that ends off with "continued in Minimum Carnage!" I've already skipped past it to keep going through the trade but is Minimum Carnage worth reading?

Also, once I'm done the Scarlet Spider trades what should be next if I want his continuing adventures? I see mixed reviews about New Warriors.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I gave ASM 3 issues, and I'm done. It's just not good. Doesn't feel like Spider-Man to me. I feel like my money is better spent buying back issues of Web, Spectacular, and Amazing from the 80s that I've never read.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I thought it was alright. The Black Cat stuff is pretty forced to keep her "a bad guy" but other than that it was fine. Main issue is just the pacing of the relaunch. Relaunch Amazing to much hype and then fill it out with constant flash backs and "new villains" who are just killing time till Spider-Verse starts.

And I really hate the Spider-Totem stuff.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Lobok posted:

I'm reading through the second grade of Scarlet Spider now, and really enjoying it, but there's one issue that ends off with "continued in Minimum Carnage!" I've already skipped past it to keep going through the trade but is Minimum Carnage worth reading?

Also, once I'm done the Scarlet Spider trades what should be next if I want his continuing adventures? I see mixed reviews about New Warriors.

New Warriors picks up from literally the last page of Scarlet Spider. The opening arc is a bit slow, as "getting the team together" arcs tend to be, but by the third or fourth issue it picks up and the last two issues (5 and 6) have been great.

Minimum Carnage... eh. It's easily the worst story in the series but the ending is fairly important for Kaine's development. He uses a stinger to lobotomize Kassady which contributes further to his "I'm just a killer and a monster" angst

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lobok posted:

You're better off reading issue 12 than Minimum Carnage, issue 12's included in the trade, but the recap page is all you need and it's also possibly The Best Issue.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Yeah, Yost's two crossovers are easily the worst stories. The other one crosses over with Spock Team-Up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Suben posted:

Minimum Carnage... eh. It's easily the worst story in the series but the ending is fairly important for Kaine's development. He uses a stinger to lobotomize Kassady which contributes further to his "I'm just a killer and a monster" angst

Kaine must be really relieved to hear Kassady is back to being a-okay because comics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It really is happening!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So this is Stan Lee doing Spock...but better. Sounds good to me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gatts posted:

So this is Stan Lee doing Spock...but better. Sounds good to me.
That's a rather low bar to clear, the only person that could do worse than Dan Slott is Scott Lobdell.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Flameingblack posted:

That's a rather low bar to clear, the only person that could do worse than Dan Slott is Scott Lobdell.

Chuck Austen. Or are we talking about people who can still get work in the industry?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Well, I'm enjoying the 1.x issues of spidey more than regular ones. Perez's art nails it for me.

What's up with really trying to hammer home this black cat is evil now thing? she just wants to take out spider man even though she was aware he wasn't in control of his actions, and now she's just a petty thief, seems like a huge back step in her character. And people still hiring j Jonah?? :psyduck:

On the plus side for marvel, ASM now feels 100% that's it's written with kids as the audience in mind. Which is cool I guess?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

And people still hiring j Jonah?? :psyduck:

That one's not that shocking... well, to me at least. You know how Marvel loves them some cross-media synchronicity, and JJ's a yelling TV newscaster on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon nowadays, so it was bound to happen.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Fox News hired Oliver North; a Fox News analogue hiring Jonah is pretty realistic IMO.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

TwoPair posted:

That one's not that shocking... well, to me at least. You know how Marvel loves them some cross-media synchronicity, and JJ's a yelling TV newscaster on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon nowadays, so it was bound to happen.

The paper thing is getting dated (to me). It's not the newscaster thing, is the getting hired after being a shirty mayor and once again making spider slayers with his goddamn face on it :psyduck:

Heh my autocorrect turned lovely into shirty

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 30, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
JJJ is supposed to be an outstanding newshound. That's why his obsession with Spiderman is pathetic, because in every other aspect he's a guy dedicated to truth but in that one single angle he's blinded. It's pretty sensible that you'd want him on your news team.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll just point out Sarah Palin's post-political career.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
JJJ getting a pundunt position isn't strange, the fact it's not going to pay off with him eviscerating the first szeezy CEO they send in for a softball interview is the real shame.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 30, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I'll just point out Sarah Palin's post-political career.

Spider-Man is a menace, dontcha know!

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

WickedHate posted:

Kaine must be really relieved to hear Kassady is back to being a-okay because comics.

I never liked Cletus much anyway, poor man's Joker.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Reading family business at the moment. Holy poo poo, it's the best modern spidey story I've read in a long time!

Get waid on amazing!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Reading family business at the moment. Holy poo poo, it's the best modern spidey story I've read in a long time!

Get waid on amazing!

He was. For multiple years.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

Get him back, with James Robinson!

Just finished reading it, this could easily have been in the comics as opposed to a one off graphic novel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

He was? I thought he wrote one of the side books.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Waid came on halfway roughly through BND but I think it is different working as a team of writers who take turns taking the lead versus doing it solo.

I, for example, hated Waid's last story in BND which was the very last story. With Ock and everyone chasing after Mystery Goblin baby. There were some good character moments here and there but for the most part, it went on too long, the conclusion was a let down, and it felt like it was a rush job to solve a bunch of sub plots that other writers had failed to resolve earlier.

It also had some of the worst loving art I've ever seen.

But I think a Waid solo Spider-Man run could be different, working on his own rather than as a team. I mean we see it here in this run. I'd say Slott's BND stories were much better with a team than his solo stuff.

That all being said, I thought Family Business was pretty cool but not outstanding. It's a nice Roger Stern-ish type piece with some great art. And it was nice seeing Kingpin in a more cartoonish villain role rather than a criminal empire role.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Family business was fun, exciting, dramatic, not overly adult, all with breath taking art and even got me stoked to see Pete in costume.

Best spidey story in a long time. I may tweet wait tomorrow to tell him. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The original "Web Heads" who followed JMS on Amazing were Dan Slott, Zeb Wells, Bob Gale, Todd DeZago and Marc Guggenheim. They were joined by Joe Kelly, Mark Waid and Roger Stern part of the way through, then Quesada did OMIT and Slott took over full time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

notthegoatseguy posted:

Waid came on halfway roughly through BND but I think it is different working as a team of writers who take turns taking the lead versus doing it solo.

I, for example, hated Waid's last story in BND which was the very last story. With Ock and everyone chasing after Mystery Goblin baby. There were some good character moments here and there but for the most part, it went on too long, the conclusion was a let down, and it felt like it was a rush job to solve a bunch of sub plots that other writers had failed to resolve earlier.

It also had some of the worst loving art I've ever seen.

But I think a Waid solo Spider-Man run could be different, working on his own rather than as a team. I mean we see it here in this run. I'd say Slott's BND stories were much better with a team than his solo stuff.

That all being said, I thought Family Business was pretty cool but not outstanding. It's a nice Roger Stern-ish type piece with some great art. And it was nice seeing Kingpin in a more cartoonish villain role rather than a criminal empire role.

There is a difference between a single writers vision and a team vision but I wouldn't expect more from Waid. The Electro story for example is straight up what he's been doing in Daredevil just a few years earlier. It's just people for the most part care less about Daredevils cast.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
If you want to believe Rich Johnston, get ready for a Spider-Woman book by either Dennis Hopeless or Cullen Bunn (most likely Hopeless) and Greg Land. :shepicide:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Suben posted:

If you want to believe Rich Johnston, get ready for a Spider-Woman book by either Dennis Hopeless or Cullen Bunn (most likely Hopeless) and Greg Land. :shepicide:

I would say its Hopeless since Bunn already has 3 big 2 books plus his image work.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Marvel seems to really want to connect Spider-Woman with the rest of the Spider titles right now, even though the characters only barely share a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

I would say its Hopeless since Bunn already has 3 big 2 books plus his image work.

Well hopeless does perfectly describe the books chances of being good or making it into double digits.

• Locked thread