Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ZetsurinPower posted:

dear god that whole thing makes me cringe...how low is the loving bar at that place for $50k to be considered greedy?

The Bell's posting was nothing like that, in fact it was professional and they actually have an HR person. I know several people who work/worked at Bell's and all seemed to love it. I would have pursued it, but it didn't really line up with my goals and I don't like craft beer.

It's not considered greedy. Not even the owners of the business actually think that is greedy. What you're seeing is a cynical, deliberate manipulation. If you ever have the misfortune to work with or for someone like this, you will come to recognize it. Every word out of their mouths is carefully constructed to elicit a specific response from the listeners. Sometimes what they say may be actually true. Oftentimes it is a complete lie. The reality does not matter to these people, the only thing that matters, the ONLY thing, is if they can get someone to act or believe in the way they wish.

In the case of the Rogue guys, they're going for the two-pronged approach of trying to make you feel guilty for wanting a reasonable wage, and painting a picture of excitement and variety (as opposed to traditionally boring, but less stressful, office work where you have a limited scope of responsibility).

GargleBlaster posted:

(I am mostly over it, life's too short for grudges and I have to work with them so I tend to try and maintain a positive and friendly or at least tolerant relationship. But I'll have to admit... this moment stirred it up again in a satisfying manner)

Indulging in a little vindictive satisfaction is not holding a grudge. Feels good, man.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I know the answer to this is "Go ask the guy for some more money", but I just wanted to gripe:

I used to work for this company a few years ago, and I did IT work on the side for the husband/wife couple who owned the company (in their 60's), their 2 children and their spouses, and the grandkids. Everything from buying and installing a printer, getting the kids laptops for school, setting up wifi, all kinds of poo poo like that. They'd normally give me $50 or $100 an hour depending on what the job was, or in some cases I'd go to their vacation home for the weekend in lieu of payment when I did work there. They of course paid for food and airfare etc.

Fast forward a couple years, I'm working at a different company and the husband of one of their children is the president. He told me his mother in law lost her iPad at the airporst and asked me to run out there on a Saturday afternoon. It's probably $10 in gas and a half hour drive each way. Setup the iPad, switched her computer out for another she had at her house, changed all her email passwords and a bunch of other stuff, about 3 days edit: hours worth of work. She's getting older now and her memory is starting to go. When I was about to leave she said "Here let me give you something for coming out", and gave me $20.

I was expecting her son-in-law to ask me about going out there on Saturday but he hasn't yet, and I was going to mention she only gave me $20 to see if he'd give me a couple more bucks. But I don't want it to be awkward and they've always been generous in the past so I kind of just want to let it go. And that's really the first time I've been out there in a year so I really don't go there that much.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 12, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

I was expecting her son-in-law to ask me about going out there on Saturday but he hasn't yet, and I was going to mention she only gave me $20 to see if he'd give me a couple more bucks. But I don't want it to be awkward and they've always been generous in the past so I kind of just want to let it go. And that's really the first time I've been out there in a year so I really don't go there that much.

Now off you go, youngster, to spend it on penny candy and Moon Pie! :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Windows 7 allows full-screen applications to be pre-empted by blinking taskbar apps.

Did they fix that in 8?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
poo poo pissing me off for the last few hours:

Wrote a custom ioctl because TI wanted to be a special snowflake and not do things the Android way.
Or perhaps Android wanted to be a special snowflake and have it's own special IOCTL's. Either way, gently caress that lovely situation.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

I know the answer to this is "Go ask the guy for some more money", but I just wanted to gripe:

I used to work for this company a few years ago, and I did IT work on the side for the husband/wife couple who owned the company (in their 60's), their 2 children and their spouses, and the grandkids. Everything from buying and installing a printer, getting the kids laptops for school, setting up wifi, all kinds of poo poo like that. They'd normally give me $50 or $100 an hour depending on what the job was, or in some cases I'd go to their vacation home for the weekend in lieu of payment when I did work there. They of course paid for food and airfare etc.

Fast forward a couple years, I'm working at a different company and the husband of one of their children is the president. He told me his mother in law lost her iPad at the airporst and asked me to run out there on a Saturday afternoon. It's probably $10 in gas and a half hour drive each way. Setup the iPad, switched her computer out for another she had at her house, changed all her email passwords and a bunch of other stuff, about 3 days edit: hours worth of work. She's getting older now and her memory is starting to go. When I was about to leave she said "Here let me give you something for coming out", and gave me $20.

"Hey (son-in-law), I got everything set up at your mom's place by doing x, y, and z. It's no big deal but so you know, I usually charge about $50 to $100 for side jobs depending on what needs to be done. You don't have to worry about it this time because your mom covered my gas expense. If you have any other work I'll be glad to help you out, let me know."

He's not put in an awkward spot but you set the precedent that he'll have to consider BEFORE he asks you for future help.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well we had the outside groundbreaking event today and it was a glorious moment of "I told you so" except that it was kind of sad and disappointing to see the event suck so much for what should have been a fun event. First off the weather didn't cooperate all that much, it was windy and cloudy. As you may remember I told Admin that we would need a generator, pa system, big speakers, etc. They ignored me and then ignored the quote I got from a professional event company that does these sort of setups. What we ended up with was sad. Apparently the av setup got pushed to the back burner until the day of the event. An executive assistant came to me in a hurry requesting that I unblock an iPad to allow her to download Pandora on to it for the event. I didn't really care at this point so I did. Then she needed "any sort of speakers". We had some crummy usb powered logitechs laying around so I gave her those. I finally get to the event and here is what I see. Some crappy one speaker PA system powered by a generator! They had previously refused to get one and were totally bailed out by the catering company who just happened to have one, a super noisy commercial grade one, that they were going to use to power the heated serving trays and what not. So loud generator powering a crap PA system in the wind it sounded horrible. Plus they ended up setting up a little tent like structure to play some video from our architect on a laptop with the iPad I setup before playing Pandora over the crappy usb speakers for the sound. Overall incredibly lame cheap setup. But the food was good, and I have enough emails to cover my rear end so overall I would rate the event a success. Plus maybe next time they will actually listen to me and take my advice instead of just going around trying to find someone that will agree with them.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Well we had the outside groundbreaking event today and it was a glorious moment of "I told you so" except that it was kind of sad and disappointing to see the event suck so much for what should have been a fun event. First off the weather didn't cooperate all that much, it was windy and cloudy. As you may remember I told Admin that we would need a generator, pa system, big speakers, etc. They ignored me and then ignored the quote I got from a professional event company that does these sort of setups. What we ended up with was sad. Apparently the av setup got pushed to the back burner until the day of the event. An executive assistant came to me in a hurry requesting that I unblock an iPad to allow her to download Pandora on to it for the event. I didn't really care at this point so I did. Then she needed "any sort of speakers". We had some crummy usb powered logitechs laying around so I gave her those. I finally get to the event and here is what I see. Some crappy one speaker PA system powered by a generator! They had previously refused to get one and were totally bailed out by the catering company who just happened to have one, a super noisy commercial grade one, that they were going to use to power the heated serving trays and what not. So loud generator powering a crap PA system in the wind it sounded horrible. Plus they ended up setting up a little tent like structure to play some video from our architect on a laptop with the iPad I setup before playing Pandora over the crappy usb speakers for the sound. Overall incredibly lame cheap setup. But the food was good, and I have enough emails to cover my rear end so overall I would rate the event a success. Plus maybe next time they will actually listen to me and take my advice instead of just going around trying to find someone that will agree with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Will always be relevant.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's not part of my job, but it's a computer thing which pisses me off, and I just need to tell someone.

I had a hard drive fail on me, and while I do have a backup of some of it, the parts I don't have a backup of are critical enough that I need to recover them. I'm actually going to have to shell out the hundreds of dollars to recover this. God I hope it works. :(

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 12, 2014

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's not part of my job, but it's a computer thing which pisses me off, and I just need to tell someone.

I had a hard drive fail on me, and while I do have a backup of some of it, the parts I don't have a backup of are critical enough that I need to recover them. I'm actually going to have to shell out the hundreds of dollars to recover this. God I hope it works. :(

Have you tried the data recovery software from Runtime Software? I've managed to recover a surprising amount of data from hard drives in various dead states. They have free trials so you can see if it can even detect what data you're looking for. It's left a very positive impression on me.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Helushune posted:

Have you tried the data recovery software from Runtime Software? I've managed to recover a surprising amount of data from hard drives in various dead states. They have free trials so you can see if it can even detect what data you're looking for. It's left a very positive impression on me.
This drive isn't even spinning up - I used a website with sounds of other hard drive failures and mine most closely resembles "platter motor seized", so this drive is going to need a clean room if I have any hope of getting the data off it.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
If I'm not fired tomorrow, I'll be astonished.

Had a user change departments a few weeks ago from HR to Exec. A change request came in to remove access to a piece of HR software. I go through their account, notice the HR access is still there, and remove it. Ticket closed.

Then executive hell broke loose.

The person didn't really "transfer" as much as she was "on loan" to the other group. This wasn't indicated in the ticket. I was then notified by HR staff that I should call them every time they submit a ticket to verify that this was what they really wanted. I asked if they wanted me to reconfigure the software so they could be denied access and still have the same HR group permissions. They agreed, and I send an e-mail to my boss as a way of documenting it, including that the HR staff and I "agreed to disagree" on whether we should trust a user making a change request for software they're responsible for.

Well that went straight to C-level by the HR staffer. Suddenly I'm a liar, they never asked me to reconfigure anything, and I should just verify every ticket I'm assigned, every time. I'm so pissed right now I can't see straight. I went to reply, then figured that silence is the best response right now.

The way poo poo goes down here, IT is never allowed to disagree about anything. Ever. You say yes and take it like a chump, or you get canned.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Had a user change departments a few weeks ago from HR to Exec. A change request came in to remove access to a piece of HR software. I go through their account, notice the HR access is still there, and remove it. Ticket closed.

The person didn't really "transfer" as much as she was "on loan" to the other group. This wasn't indicated in the ticket. I was then notified by HR staff that I should call them every time they submit a ticket to verify that this was what they really wanted. I asked if they wanted me to reconfigure the software so they could be denied access and still have the same HR group permissions. They agreed, and I send an e-mail to my boss as a way of documenting it, including that the HR staff and I "agreed to disagree" on whether we should trust a user making a change request for software they're responsible for.

Well that went straight to C-level by the HR staffer. Suddenly I'm a liar, they never asked me to reconfigure anything, and I should just verify every ticket I'm assigned, every time. I'm so pissed right now I can't see straight. I went to reply, then figured that silence is the best response right now.

The way poo poo goes down here, IT is never allowed to disagree about anything. Ever. You say yes and take it like a chump, or you get canned.

Isn't there an audit trail from the CR? And you have emails to CYA.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

evol262 posted:

Isn't there an audit trail from the CR? And you have emails to CYA.

Yep. "Remove Access to Software". Not "Remove Access to Software but call us first", or "Remove access to software but NOT HR access". CR even lists the user as being in Exec, and not HR.

Access to software = Access to HR group (Not noted, but that's what it is.)

But nope, I should be calling them every time they submit a ticket to make sure they're not snorting pixie dust or something.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Yep. "Remove Access to Software". Not "Remove Access to Software but call us first", or "Remove access to software but NOT HR access". CR even lists the user as being in Exec, and not HR.

Access to software = Access to HR group (Not noted, but that's what it is.)

But nope, I should be calling them every time they submit a ticket to make sure they're not snorting pixie dust or something.

"We're too loving dumb to know if what is coming out of our mouths is what we want to come out of our mouths."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Tell them to open tickets that just say "Please call me." When you call them, tell them you're recording the call for training purposes. If they object, please hang up.

Unless your C-suite is full of idiots, they're going to be pissed that they have a ticketing system which apparently can't support the English language such that it can convey user requests.

Also, refer to the ticketing system as an "e-pager".

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
The Splunk client installer for Windows creates a folder in the C: root in which it installs the binaries. Not in Program Files.
The installer then sets Read-Write access to that folder for all users on the system.
The installer then defines a system service using the binaries in that folder.

This means that a non-admin user (or any attacker who compromises a user's account) can take any exe he wants, rename it to splunkd.exe, put it in that folder, and it will run at startup. With SYSTEM permissions.

Good job, Splunk devs!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
So on my day off we sold a customer an HP Envy 4500 which is I guess some lovely ink-based all-in-one thing. I get sent to the customer's home today to set it up along with a new computer they bought and stuff, get it all hooked up and I know they want to print from their iPad so I go to put the thing on the wifi. Oh let me just give it a static IP, lets see, log in to the router, move the DHCP range a bit so there's room, go to set the IP on the printer, IP...ok...subnet: 255.255.255.0 "Invalid Input: Each number segment must be 255 or less."

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Company finally made a decision about what they are doing with company provided cell phones and BYOD, and its even better then I imagined. Currently, many of us are handed ancient blackberries because we either travel, have to work remotely, are on call, or want to feel like special snowflakes. A BYOD thing has been in testing for a couple of months, where you get MobileIron installed, and get a sandboxed mail client in there, in return we get to reimburse up to $50 a month. I never got around to this as I like the disconnect between work and home, and honestly the Blackberry is good enough.

So today, the news comes out for how the company is handling this, you either put MobileIron on your phone and take the $50 reimbursement, or you go to StraightTalk and pick up something and get reimbursed for that amount. They didn't mention if they would pay for the phone, but I'm going with no.

I said if that was the case, I wasn't going to get a work cell phone, and my boss got quiet. He said that I would need a phone, and I told him I agree with that, so they should pay for one. I ask if we would later on be asked to help chip in and pay for the electricity bills at work. He says that isn't similar at all and walks off.

I feel that if work requires me to have a cell phone, then they should pay for it. After all, they want me to do computer things, but I don't have to buy my own laptop (yet). Company is worth billions, we are having strong profits every quarter, yet lets cheap out on this.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
They should buy you your phone, if they refuse go find a WP 521 off ebay, etc for 50~ dollars and put it on the cheapest T-Mobile pre-paid plan, it'll be 50 dollars almost on the dot. Maybe 56 after taxes.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Rawrbomb posted:

They should buy you your phone, if they refuse go find a WP 521 off ebay, etc for 50~ dollars and put it on the cheapest T-Mobile pre-paid plan, it'll be 50 dollars almost on the dot. Maybe 56 after taxes.

T-Mobile service up here is really bad, Verizon is pretty much it if you want your phone to work more then in town. I've found some StraightTalk plans for cheap, I'm sure a Android 2.3 phone would be perfect for this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If there's a $50/month limit, then pre-paid is an excellent way to go. You may need to buy your own device, but that at least has the benefit of being your own property. Alternately, see if a co-worker will give you their device; someone will use the stipend to go get a New Shiny Toy.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

CitizenKain posted:

T-Mobile service up here is really bad, Verizon is pretty much it if you want your phone to work more then in town. I've found some StraightTalk plans for cheap, I'm sure a Android 2.3 phone would be perfect for this.

That is their problem, not yours.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rawrbomb posted:

That is their problem, not yours.

Yep. If they want good service, they'll give you a plan and a phone. Otherwise, go for the cheapest pre-paid that ostensibly works in the area.

Currently my work phone is a Samsung Epic 4G on Ting.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If that's all you're getting and expected to actually pick it up, I'd find a cheap android phone and go with straight talk. Actually, I'd probably complain more first since it's a super lovely deal.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Stanos posted:

If that's all you're getting and expected to actually pick it up, I'd find a cheap android phone and go with straight talk. Actually, I'd probably complain more first since it's a super lovely deal.

My plan is to do nothing about this at all until they shutdown the BES server. Then I'm going to continue doing nothing until I'm forced to. If I need to pick up a phone, I do have an old rear end Motorola Android laying around, plus I'm not sure MobileIron will even run on a 2.3 device, so win/win.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CitizenKain posted:

My plan is to do nothing about this at all until they shutdown the BES server. Then I'm going to continue doing nothing until I'm forced to. If I need to pick up a phone, I do have an old rear end Motorola Android laying around, plus I'm not sure MobileIron will even run on a 2.3 device, so win/win.

Go to Virgin Mobile, buy an LG101 for :10bux:, get a PayLo plan. If they don't like the fact that you don't have a data plan and can't get email on your phone, or that it doesn't roam outside of Sprint's network, or that it's on Sprint's network and therefore doesn't even work most of the time anyway, that's their problem. :v:

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Wow they sound like total idiots if they do. Seems someone in HR doesn't like you, which isn't a good position to be in.

Very wise on staying silent though. It can be incredibly easy to fire off a snotty email when you're pissed, and such emails never do you any favours. End up sending it to some d-bag with an inflated sense of self-importance (it sounds like HR staffer is that type) and they'll be filling out a complaints form with "disrespectful" on it before you've lifted back off the mouse.

Good luck..

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

T-Mobile service up here is really bad,

All the more reason to go with that provider if your company eventually forces you to go through with this poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

Company finally made a decision about what they are doing with company provided cell phones and BYOD, and its even better then I imagined. Currently, many of us are handed ancient blackberries because we either travel, have to work remotely, are on call, or want to feel like special snowflakes. A BYOD thing has been in testing for a couple of months, where you get MobileIron installed, and get a sandboxed mail client in there, in return we get to reimburse up to $50 a month. I never got around to this as I like the disconnect between work and home, and honestly the Blackberry is good enough.

So today, the news comes out for how the company is handling this, you either put MobileIron on your phone and take the $50 reimbursement, or you go to StraightTalk and pick up something and get reimbursed for that amount. They didn't mention if they would pay for the phone, but I'm going with no.

I said if that was the case, I wasn't going to get a work cell phone, and my boss got quiet. He said that I would need a phone, and I told him I agree with that, so they should pay for one. I ask if we would later on be asked to help chip in and pay for the electricity bills at work. He says that isn't similar at all and walks off.

I feel that if work requires me to have a cell phone, then they should pay for it. After all, they want me to do computer things, but I don't have to buy my own laptop (yet). Company is worth billions, we are having strong profits every quarter, yet lets cheap out on this.
Until I got to the "having profits" part I was all :tinfoil: about you being one of my coworkers. This is pretty much what we're doing right now except so far there hasn't been any reimbursement at all discussed, and people who currently have a blackberry will get it replaced by an iPhone 5C.

If I get tasked with purchasing the phones I'll make sure everyone gets the salmon pink one.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

Wow they sound like total idiots if they do. Seems someone in HR doesn't like you, which isn't a good position to be in.

Very wise on staying silent though. It can be incredibly easy to fire off a snotty email when you're pissed, and such emails never do you any favours. End up sending it to some d-bag with an inflated sense of self-importance (it sounds like HR staffer is that type) and they'll be filling out a complaints form with "disrespectful" on it before you've lifted back off the mouse.

Good luck..

Department meeting called. I was correct, HR is responsible to know the user permissions involved in their own software, "but we still need to find a way to 'use our best judgement'" with 100% accuracy when these CRs come in.

In short, IT loses, HR wins, but my head's not on the chopping block.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Department meeting called. I was correct, HR is responsible to know the user permissions involved in their own software, "but we still need to find a way to 'use our best judgement'" with 100% accuracy when these CRs come in.

Continue to use your best judgement and give them what they ask for, since it's been established that they're responsible for knowing what they want. Sounds like HR person hosed up and blew this whole thing up to save face. OK, face saved. Don't change a thing on your end.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Don't ask for a unicorn my first week, and then act surprised when I can't deliver your loving unicorn.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Don't ask for a unicorn my first week, and then act surprised when I can't deliver your loving unicorn.

"But you're IT. You should have known that I needed a unicorn."

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Until I got to the "having profits" part I was all :tinfoil: about you being one of my coworkers. This is pretty much what we're doing right now except so far there hasn't been any reimbursement at all discussed, and people who currently have a blackberry will get it replaced by an iPhone 5C.

If I get tasked with purchasing the phones I'll make sure everyone gets the salmon pink one.

I'd do the 50 dollars but I'd use a Google phone number to get around them having your personal number.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lareous posted:

I'd do the 50 dollars but I'd use a Google phone number to get around them having your personal number.

Isn't there a way to use a google phone number account and get free phone service as long as you're in wifi range?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Isn't there a way to use a google phone number account and get free phone service as long as you're in wifi range?

I used to be able to do this using a combination of the Google Voice number along with GrooveIP. But, according to GrooveIP, Google made some changes that no longer allows this. I should look into if they've found another solution to this or not.

***edit***
Looks like they've partnered with Ring.to to continue offering calls over WiFi. I'll have to check it out some time, as we get a lovely cell signal in our office since we're in what used to be the Radiology dept.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 13, 2014

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lord Dudeguy posted:

At least not everyone is insane there, then. Just most of them.
Reminds me a bit of "I didn't need to tell you the website needs improvement in this area, if you were a professional then you'd know" (closest I've come to walking out of a meeting)

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"It's not my fault she evolved into an alicorn"

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
My company has a Google Voice number as my cell number. Not just on the phone list or directory, but on all my HR forms, etc. When I leave the company I'll just shut that number off and they'll never be able to call and ask asinine questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I work for a DoD contractor. The Network Enterprise Center at my facility requests project work from the network group that I work for, and we do it. Design work and new turn-ups have been slow lately so the rinky dink projects are starting to come out in droves.

Last week, I was asked to dispatch out and retrieve a Cisco 3560G and an APC battery backup unit from a building that was no longer being used by the client. I dispatched out and decommissioned the switch and put the APC back into inventory. This kind of work is quite a bit below my pay grade, to be honest, but I did it.

Yesterday, someone from the base facilities security office noticed one-and-a-half weeks later that they could not reach the buildings on-site controller for the badge reader to get into the door(s) of this building. I told the gentleman that per my bosses, bosses, boss :o: - we had been instructed to terminate network connectivity to the building since no one was going to be using this (small) building any longer.

Long story short - we had to install media converters at both ends and ultimately had to install a gigabit ethernet module into a Cisco 6500 because it didn't have any copper ports available.

:rant: "We don't want to install a switch back out there!"

Ultimately, we had to install a "switch" on the other end to make it work. For one copper ethernet port. There will never be any other copper ethernet termination in this closet. There was no other expeditious way to make it happen any other way ($$$). gently caress me.

<3 u govt

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 14, 2014