Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm not seeing the flatness on that Ultramarine, it's a drat good paintjob. Maybe you think the Fist pops more because he's got a few extra bits on him (like the helmet cam and purity seal, which allowed you to add more colour to the model to break up the yellow.

I'm not a fan of the Ultramarines due to Ward's fanwank fluff, but honestly I really like the 'new' (read: post-3rd ed) paint scheme for them and if it wasn't for how played-up they are in the 40k universe I'd probably have done an Ultramarine force of my own. Alas, I have my Cygnar army for my fix of painting blue models :v:
I feel the black and gunmetal Bolters really tone down the model in a good way, so there's a bit more balance between light and dark on the model. It stops focus from being taken away from the rest of the model, but that's just my opinion on bright red guns.

I prefer the Ultramarine to the Fist from those test models, but that's partly because I like blue and it's nice and easy colour to paint, unlike yellow :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
I'm this close to converting a bunch of Guardian jetbikes and some Seers on jetbikes, but I just know GW is going to release new models for them right after I'm done making them.
:negative:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I'm this close to converting a bunch of Guardian jetbikes and some Seers on jetbikes, but I just know GW is going to release new models for them right after I'm done making them.

I think we might be waiting a while. GW seem only to be releasing plastic kits for new models or replacing finecast/metal miniatures. The only plastic kit that I can remember being replaced since 6th dropped is the SM tactical squad and that's a flagship kit so I wouldn't take it as an indicator that any other kits are getting an update.

That said, the 5 codexes that need to be updated to the current format all have pretty strong plastic lines already. so we might see some older kits get redone in 2015.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Cataphract posted:

The only plastic kit that I can remember being replaced since 6th dropped is the SM tactical squad and that's a flagship kit so I wouldn't take it as an indicator that any other kits

Tyranid Warriors too, but I agree with you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Thundercloud posted:

So are they ever going to release the ork codex? Has anyone seen the drat thing?

Is it coming out in July?

I don't like this new 'release all the miniatures and then the army book' thing because I'd like to see what I need to complete my army and then make any decisions.

The drip release is a bit annoying on this one. Feels like the longest we've gone without seeing a codex, or is it just bias from me because I care about Orks way more than anything else? I guess with Guard we had that largely worthless Tempestus mini-dex first so it took longer to see the main codex.

I'm not going to get any Flash Gitz until I've seen whether or not they're going to pack them in an army box with the other new poo poo. Will be interesting to see if they shove a character model in that is otherwise unavailable, as is their habit... Except those usually go in boxes of old poo poo not new stuff.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Here's a couple of semi-rough test models I've just finished. Trying to decide on a scheme to use for my next army. The Ultramarine was easy to do but looks a bit flat. The Fist pops more but was a bit of a poo poo to paint and I'm not sure how well it will translate to vehicles. I'd also need to add another layer of highlighting to the yellow after the glaze because of how it flattened them down.

They are both awesome, I think Ghost Hand has a bunch of Forge World decals on his ultras which might help if they feel a bit bland to you.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

I went through this in 2003. I went ahead and did it; made a whole jetbike Seer Council. Then 11 years went by.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How has it been 20 years and GW has never as far as I am aware made a Warlock on a Jetbike.

Seriously, it's been 20 years. Also, just realized other than a few resculpts unless I am just wrong a large majority of Eldar has been around for a long time.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hollismason posted:

How has it been 20 years and GW has never as far as I am aware made a Warlock on a Jetbike.

Seriously, it's been 20 years. Also, just realized other than a few resculpts unless I am just wrong a large majority of Eldar has been around for a long time.

I believe the guardian jetbike has been around since before I started playing, which was in... 1997? (I was 10 in 1997 and the Internet was not then what it is now so there's definitely a chance it came out shortly after.)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I don't understand why but I am jealous that you still have one of the Marines from the old painter set. I have one somewhere, too, but he became Meltman after I applied the wrong kind of spraypaint. I forget what I used him for, maybe a casualty marker or a Nurgle marine.

Hollismason posted:

Gotta make room for plastic Terminator kits, plastic Assault Terminator kits, plastic Space Wolf Terminator kits, plastic Dark Angels Terminator kits, a plastic Deathwing Terminator kit, plastic Blood Angels Terminators, (I'm counting Space Hulk) and ... those awful plastic Terminators I posted before.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 13, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks for the kind words and advice on my test models duders. I'll look at adding a squad marking to the Ultramarine's knee to see how that makes him look.

As to the Eldar plastics, they are somewhat handicapped by many of them being genuine classics of design first time round. Which isn't to say that they don't need updates, they do, but it is understandable why it hasn't happened. Except for the jetbike, we saw a prototype for that eight years ago.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
And then the Dark Eldar went and stole said prototype for their Reavers :argh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

I don't understand why but I am jealous that you still have one of the Marines from the old painter set. I have one somewhere, too, but he became Meltman after I applied the wrong kind of spraypaint. I forget what I used him for, maybe a casualty marker or a Nurgle marine.
Im just glad I finally painted one well :v: You can get em for like a buck a dude on eBay though if you dig a little.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sykic posted:

And then the Dark Eldar went and stole said prototype for their Reavers :argh:

Actually, a Russian stole the prototype and sells recasts on ebay.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
:staredog:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

More Metal Slug would objectively make 40k a better game, so.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

As that's Bad Munz I have to assume its creator went insane painting all that yellow.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

As that's Bad Munz I have to assume its creator went insane painting all that yellow.

Committed ritual suicide with a pot of Sunburst Yellow.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PierreTheMime posted:

It looks like they wimped out and used lots of not-yellow.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Sulecrist posted:

I went through this in 2003. I went ahead and did it; made a whole jetbike Seer Council. Then 11 years went by.
I started Saim Hann army ages ago, figuring I'd get the jetbikes whenever GW updated them. To date my Saim Hann army has just about everything I want, but still no jetbikes except for Vypers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait did Harlequins get recast? Like the Deathjester? I remember him being that way for a long drat time.

Eldar do pretty much have a classic look, I was actually kind of disappointed in the new Sculpts when they came out, I preferred the older slimmer looking guys.

edit:

Huh, now I am trying to figure out what the very first models for 40k were.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So, if I have a blob of 20 Guardsmen and they're all within 8" of the enemy, can all of them what don't have flamers chuck frag grenades?

Is it better to throw frags than shoot lasguns at 8" or less? Is it better if they have FRFSRF?

20-man blob with flamers = 16 lasguns + 2 laspistols = 34 BS3 shots -> 17 hits -> 5.67 wounds (T4)

20-man blob with flamers and FRFSRF = 16 lasguns + 2 laspistols = 50 BS3 shots -> 25 hits -> 8.33 wounds (T4)

I supposes if they enemy is all clustered up, right? Has anyone tried this?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Dunno about 7th, but 6th you could only toss one grenade per squad per turn.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The Sex Cannon posted:

So, if I have a blob of 20 Guardsmen and they're all within 8" of the enemy, can all of them what don't have flamers chuck frag grenades?

Is it better to throw frags than shoot lasguns at 8" or less? Is it better if they have FRFSRF?

20-man blob with flamers = 16 lasguns + 2 laspistols = 34 BS3 shots -> 17 hits -> 5.67 wounds (T4)

20-man blob with flamers and FRFSRF = 16 lasguns + 2 laspistols = 50 BS3 shots -> 25 hits -> 8.33 wounds (T4)

I supposes if they enemy is all clustered up, right? Has anyone tried this?

Alas, no...

40k Rulebook posted:

Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase.

So you might as well throw the one grenade you're entitled to while everyone else unloads their lasguns.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I asked elsewhere and found out that these may be the first models made for 40k

http://solegends.com/citrt/1st40kreleases.htm

SRM you have some work to do..

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
How do you guys setup terrain in a fair way?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It'd be cool to have an IG grenadier unit where all they have are Laspistols or some poo poo, but then a bandolier of grenades. They close and then chuck em at 8" for a ton of blasts.

In fact, make them a "heavy assault" elite unit, give them some heavier armor and weaponry and call them Stormtroopers or whatever the gently caress they became. Doing IG AM right.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 13, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

UberJumper posted:

- Pick out all of your terrain, and roll off. Winner chooses one piece and places it, alternate.
- Section the board into sixth's, roll a d3 in each section, place terrain alternately.
- Just place it and don't be a dick.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

UberJumper posted:

We usually put down what we think looks cool in an arrangement that fucks us both mutually.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If both players are unhappy with the terrain you've done your job.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
You merged two squads to make a blob, you would have 2 grenade throws if you hadn't, but them's the tradeoffs for blobbing up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

UberJumper posted:

I'm a fan of the optional 6th edition version, especially if you're concerned about fairness over coolness.

Divide the board into 2x2 segments. You'll typically have six of them with a standard 6x4 table. Roll 1d3 for each of your (six) segments. That's how much terrain will be on it. Roll off to see who places first, then alternate placing terrain. We usually leave a die on each segment and simply rotate it down as terrain is placed on each segment, removing it when each segment reaches it's maximum terrain. That makes it easier to recall how much space is left on each segment.

I like this method because it ensures that there's at least some terrain all over the map, and allows you to get a little tactical about what you place where.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
So it says only one grenade can be thrown by a unit per phase.

Does this mean that only one model in a unit can use a grenade on a vehicle or monstrous creature in the assault phase?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Nope...

40k Rulebook posted:

A model can use such a grenade as a Melee weapon, but can only ever make one attack, regardless of the number of Attacks on its profile or any bonuses.

So thrown grenades are per unit, but assault grenades are by model.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

UberJumper posted:

We usually just have both players set up terrain how they want, and then we roll off for sides. We've found that following some formula for completely optimal terrain placement just sterilizes everything. Too mechanical.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm a fan of having someone who isn't a shitlord set up the board long before the game starts. That player can make the entire board a ravine, make a fortress on one end, and so forth. The players can then sort out how to make it fair and fun.

A shitlord who knows a shooting army is coming will set up dense terrain on one side and absolutely nothing on the other side. This hobby... nay, these awful people.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I always enjoy placing objectives.

"I see you've placed your first objective (later all) solidly in your deployment zone and out of LoS. I look forward to this game."

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

We usually just have both players set up terrain how they want, and then we roll off for sides. We've found that following some formula for completely optimal terrain placement just sterilizes everything. Too mechanical.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I'm a fan of having someone who isn't a shitlord set up the board long before the game starts. That player can make the entire board a ravine, make a fortress on one end, and so forth. The players can then sort out how to make it fair and fun.

A shitlord who knows a shooting army is coming will set up dense terrain on one side and absolutely nothing on the other side. This hobby... nay, these awful people.

Hence my comment about fairness vs coolness. I surely agree that the dice method is mechanical, but if you're more concerned with a fair match (ie, have shitlord problems) then it's the best way to go. If you've got cool players who can be trusted? Do as you like.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks like they wimped out and used lots of not-yellow.

It's . . . it's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

I always enjoy placing objectives.

"I see you've placed your first objective (later all) solidly in your deployment zone and out of LoS. I look forward to this game."

7th ed changed the order. You now place objectives before rolling for table sides. Which is so much better in my opinion. If you place objectives to advantage one side if the board you're gambling on winning the chance to pick sides.

• Locked thread