Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

It was only for England, excluding Liverpool because even they know not to do that.

I'm in London.

Mind you it's just plopped through the door 3 hours after the rest of the post so maybe someones boss found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

HortonNash posted:

Who gives a poo poo what he looks like?

In much the same way that people ridiculed Brown over his supposed inability to smile (not surprising for a man going blind, who lost a child and has another with a terminal diagnosis) the constant focus on Milliband's looks and nasal voice (neither of which he can control) is pathetic.

Because the head of state's main job these days is international negotiation, rather than personally passing bills etc?

Milliband has the charisma of an orc with none of the action appeal. On the other hand, as much as you might dislike Cameron, 'Posh public school boy' isn't unexpected for the rest of the world.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Elfface posted:

Because the head of state's main job these days is international negotiation, rather than personally passing bills etc?

Milliband has the charisma of an orc with none of the action appeal. On the other hand, as much as you might dislike Cameron, 'Posh public school boy' isn't unexpected for the rest of the world.
Lack of charisma is different from being attractive. You can be very charismatic without being handsome. Though I agree that having charisma is definitely one of the biggest advantages for a politician, and Ed seriously has none.

But David Cameron is also completely lacking in charisma, he's a lizard in human skin and he's not very good at hiding it.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

HortonNash posted:

Who gives a poo poo what he looks like?

In much the same way that people ridiculed Brown over his supposed inability to smile (not surprising for a man going blind, who lost a child and has another with a terminal diagnosis) the constant focus on Milliband's looks and nasal voice (neither of which he can control) is pathetic.

Rather than blindly reacting to what I said, you might have wanted to realise I was talking about Farage and his stupid laugh-grimace-expression, not Milliband.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

If he does it, the people of Liverpool rightly yell at him, if he doesn't "RED ED REFUSES TO BACK ARE BOYS IN BRAZIL"

He could have just been pictured watching England play football like a normal human being.

Or collecting football stickers because he seems like the sort.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Cameron has PR charisma where if he has total control over the situation and can plan ahead he has some charisma so whenever things are not under his control he leaves and hides

Milliband has no charisma

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I guess it's about perspective, I think Miliband has more charisma than Cameron because he actually comes across as a human being with some thoughts in his head. Cameron is more like a preview of the animatronic staff of some future hotel. Every single time he opens his mouth it's an embarrassing reminder that a mini baby bel could lead one of the wealthiest and most powerful nations if it had the right background.

That picture's embarrassing because Miliband looks completely uncomfortable with what he's doing. Which feels like his problem a lot of the time - positioning himself inside ideas that he doesn't seem to believe, that other people have decided are a good idea, and he has trouble owning them and smoothly feigning sincerity. It comes across as wooden and forced, whereas budget replicants like Call Me Dave can pull a string and deliver a flat, vacuous statement that's completely devoid of any personal connection or content, and nobody cares because the delivery is adequately performed. Like the shittiest play, acted competently

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The last two politicians we had described as charismatic were Nigel Farage and Nick Clegg.

Charisma is a dangerous thing.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

Rather than blindly reacting to what I said, you might have wanted to realise I was talking about Farage and his stupid laugh-grimace-expression, not Milliband.

The same goes for Farage though, and Pickles and Gove. The childish, Have I Got News For You, style poking fun at people's appearance is getting tiresome and hides the real issues (that Farage, Gove, Pickles are total shits because of what they believe and what they do).

I wasn't actually having a go at you either.

E:Fairly certain that if Clement Attlee was running today, they'd be ridiculing his hair, his moustache and his teeth.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 13, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

The last two politicians we had described as charismatic were Nigel Farage and Nick Clegg.

Charisma is a dangerous thing.

You know who else was charasmatic? That nice Austrian fellow with the moustache, forget his name...whatever happened to him?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
He's in Brazil watching the world cup

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
When we were learning about the Suffragettes in History I remember the text book had a political cartoon against women's right to vote that argued that they would only vote for the most attractive candidate and not care about their policies because women are stupid and superficial. I'm always reminded of it whenever people talk about a politician not being charismatic enough.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

HortonNash posted:

You know who else was charasmatic? That nice Austrian fellow with the moustache, forget his name...whatever happened to him?

This joke. But with a Blair analogy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HortonNash posted:

He had a long film career and ended up being the Governor of California.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ufarn posted:

David Axelrod's got his work cut out for him.

It's quite something when your candidate is so bad that guiding him to victory is probably going to be harder than getting a black dude elected President of the USA.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Serene Dragon posted:

Lack of charisma is different from being attractive. You can be very charismatic without being handsome. Though I agree that having charisma is definitely one of the biggest advantages for a politician, and Ed seriously has none.

But David Cameron is also completely lacking in charisma, he's a lizard in human skin and he's not very good at hiding it.

Case in point: Churchill. Extremely charismatic man, with a face like a slapped arse.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Ddraig posted:

Case in point: Churchill. Extremely charismatic man, with a face like a slapped arse.
Wasnt he also a 'functional' alcholic and a gambler? Id still prefer him to davebot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Wasnt he also a 'functional' alcholic and a gambler? Id still prefer him to davebot.

Also pro-eugenics and a right bastard to the Indians.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Also pro-eugenics and a right bastard to the Indians.

If by right bastard you mean starved them, then yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

If by right bastard you mean starved them, then yeah.

And then wisecracked abut how their situation couldn't be so bad because Gandhi wasn't dead yet.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
And used gas attacks on Iraq.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think Churchill's biggest problem with Hitler was that he wasn't British.

Also, looks like this Sun thing won't go away for Red Top Ed.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-labour-councillor-martin-cummins-7266443

quote:

A Liverpool Labour councillor has resigned from the party in protest at Ed Miliband’s support for The Sun newspaper.

Cllr Martin Cummins, who represents Croxteth, said seeing Mr Miliband pose with The Sun had “rocked me to my core”.

In his resignation letter to Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson, Cllr Cummins wrote: “We are the the party of truth, justice and equality and we must stop compromising on our moral foundation just to win votes.

“It is therefore with sadness and sincere regret that I am resigning from the Labour Party.

“I pray that my brothers and sisters within our Labour family will understand my decision.”

Just when you thought this plantpot couldn't get any worse... @joeforliverpool Have a word, please Joe. pic.twitter.com/L4SRP59XlR
— TheEvertonForum.com (@TheEFCForum) June 12, 2014

Mr Miliband was pictured holding The Sun yesterday as an extra 22m copies were distributed across Britain to mark the start of the World Cup.

Mayor Anderson was among those who slammed Mr Miliband for posing with the newspaper, which remains deeply controversial due to its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

Cllr Cummins said in his resignation letter: “This paper’s degradation of women on page three should be enough to consign it to history, but the infamy of The Sun’s lies and deceit regarding our loved ones who lost their lives at Hillsborough should be enough for millions across our country to shred this deeply offensive rag when it oozes through their letter boxes, stains their hallways and pollutes their lives.

“I believe Ed has listened to unwise counsel in associating himself, and our party, with this degrading publication.

“I appreciate how difficult it must have been to take the decision but I believe The Sun’s under-handed publicity stunt, which is nothing to do with support for our national team, will backfire.”

He continued: “I believe that God works in mysterious ways and seeing Ed promoting The Sun has rocked me to my core.”
In pictures: Homeowners tell postmen they do not want a free copy of The Sun

Cllr Cummins will now sit as an independent member of Liverpool council.

The Sun’s promotional campaign caused controversy when some postmen across Merseyside said they would refuse to deliver the paper.

Hillsborough survivors were also outraged after receiving The Sun in the post.

Cllr Cummins’ resignation comes less than 24 hours after fellow Croxteth representative Cllr Peter Mitchell called on Mr Miliband to “consider his position as leader of the Labour Party”.

Responding to the resignation letter, Mayor Anderson said: “I understand Martin’s faith has led him to this decision and, while I share many of the concerns Martin has, I also feel that it is important to say that I believe working together with colleagues in the Labour Party is the best way of improving our city and protecting the poorest and most vulnerable in our communities.

“Over the last few months Martin has been signed off from most council business for health reasons and I hope his decision gives him the chance to recover.”

A number of Liverpool MPs, including Walton's Steve Rotheram, confronted the Labour leader in London on Thursday after he endorsed the newspaper’s campaign to deliver 22 million copies to homes across the country to mark the first day of the 2014 World Cup.

Me Rotheram wrote on his Facebook page: “He never meant any offence but in my opinion it shouldn't have happened in the first place.”

Wirral South MP Alison McGovern, chair of the All- Party Parliamentary Group on the Hillsborough disaster, also gave her views over the matter on Twitter, writing: “In response to those asking, I know Ed Miliband would never set out to cause offence.

“But of course everyone will understand how I feel about this personally.

“I've said this to Ed in person. The most important thing though is that we continue the progress made towards justice for all those affected by Hillsborough disaster, and that's what I focus on.”

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Apparently Churchill suffered massive anxiety over public speaking so pretty much every single remark he ever made (even the ones that seem off the cuff) were thought up in advance and rehearsed meticulously. Might explain his apparently amazing wit. How he never got caught out I'll never know.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think Churchill's biggest problem with Hitler was that he wasn't British.

Also, looks like this Sun thing won't go away for Red Top Ed.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-labour-councillor-martin-cummins-7266443

Good for him but lol

quote:

We are the the party of truth, justice and equality and we must stop compromising on our moral foundation just to win votes.

where has he been the last decade?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Can someone who knows something about international football tell me something? I know little about football, dont support a team but ive some time on my hands atm so ive watched the first 2 world cup games. So far out of the 2 games; and this seems to happen every time i bother to watch football, there have been a number of game changing errors by the referee. In the current game (on now) a goal that clearly was a legal goal was disallowed, in the last one a bullshit penalty. What the gently caress? A sport is supposed to have rules isnt it? What is the problem with having some cams to allow the ref to make the correct decsion. I think we have the technology.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
It's FIFA politics. The guys in charge don't like the idea of introducing new stuff: UEFA tried goaline referees a few years back and that's about it. The referees organisation has also resisted changes they think could undermine their position/credibility. What this means is that they're relying on their eyes and can't resort to video evidence even if it's being played on a big screen in the stadium.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

I guess it's about perspective, I think Miliband has more charisma than Cameron because he actually comes across as a human being with some thoughts in his head. Cameron is more like a preview of the animatronic staff of some future hotel. Every single time he opens his mouth it's an embarrassing reminder that a mini baby bel could lead one of the wealthiest and most powerful nations if it had the right background.

That might possibly be true if he's talking off-the-cuff, but every actual interview I've seen with him he comes across like an android with an extra goto 10 command. That "These strikes are wrong..." thing wasn't a one-off, he does it in almost every interview, just endlessly parrots whatever lines it is his handlers have told him tests well, and every time there's a follow-on question he goes straight back to that line.

I mean I know it's a tendency for all politicians these days to do this but Milliband really turns it up to 11. It's a big factor in Farage's personal popularity too (and Clegg's before that) because they do actually seem to be functioning human beings.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Can someone who knows something about international football tell me something? I know little about football, dont support a team but ive some time on my hands atm so ive watched the first 2 world cup games. So far out of the 2 games; and this seems to happen every time i bother to watch football, there have been a number of game changing errors by the referee. In the current game (on now) a goal that clearly was a legal goal was disallowed, in the last one a bullshit penalty. What the gently caress? A sport is supposed to have rules isnt it? What is the problem with having some cams to allow the ref to make the correct decsion. I think we have the technology.

One of the arguments against using technology is the desire to maintain equivalence amongst all levels of the game, so the game changes little (in how rules are applied or how it is refereed) from Sunday league through to international level matches. Another is the worry that allowing technology will disrupt the flow of the game as play needs to stop for reviewing replays, and this could be used to waste time or manipulate the clock by excessive calls for review. Another argument is that it diminishes the authority of the referee, if replays are available it encourages referees decisions to be second guessed and called into question on the pitch by players.

Personally, I think bad calls, whilst extremely frustrating, are part of the game, and the fact that nothing much changes between the various levels of the game is more important.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That might possibly be true if he's talking off-the-cuff, but every actual interview I've seen with him he comes across like an android with an extra goto 10 command. That "These strikes are wrong..." thing wasn't a one-off, he does it in almost every interview, just endlessly parrots whatever lines it is his handlers have told him tests well, and every time there's a follow-on question he goes straight back to that line.

I think the current strategy is based around Labour feeling pretty confident about the next election, so the safest thing for Miliband to do is be as uninspiring and boring as possible so nobody pays much attention to him.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wasn't Churchill a sexist and racist arsehole? My wife takes great delight in telling everybody that. Is that fair?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Take it to the Ray Parlour, they can answer more in depth, but the short answer is tradition and wanting the game to flow properly without introductions. I feel your pain though, Neymar blatantly dove, and the Croats had an equalizer disallowed that was perfectly valid. Bah.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

thehustler posted:

Wasn't Churchill a sexist and racist arsehole? My wife takes great delight in telling everybody that. Is that fair?

Wasn't every politician of the day?

E:Didn't Gandhi have quite a bit of hate for black people and the gays?

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 13, 2014

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

HortonNash posted:

One of the arguments against using technology is the desire to maintain equivalence amongst all levels of the game, so the game changes little (in how rules are applied or how it is refereed) from Sunday league through to international level matches. Another is the worry that allowing technology will disrupt the flow of the game as play needs to stop for reviewing replays, and this could be used to waste time or manipulate the clock by excessive calls for review. Another argument is that it diminishes the authority of the referee, if replays are available it encourages referees decisions to be second guessed and called into question on the pitch by players.

Personally, I think bad calls, whilst extremely frustrating, are part of the game, and the fact that nothing much changes between the various levels of the game is more important.
Hmm, I see what you are saying but I disagree. The clock can be stopped. The ref's are supposed to do a correct job. There is a bit of difference between 'jumpers for goalposts' and an international competition. You dont see this sort of silly bollocks in the olympics do you?

Anyway, I dont really care, just curious. Btw I overheard there was some proposal to allow a team 3 challenges to be reviewed per game or something, why they couldnt just do every one right is beyond me me but ok.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

HortonNash posted:

Wasn't every politician of the day?

E:Didn't Gandhi have quite a bit of hate for black people and the gays?

I have definitely heard that. Probably down to his religious beliefs? I have no idea.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean I know it's a tendency for all politicians these days to do this but Milliband really turns it up to 11. It's a big factor in Farage's personal popularity too (and Clegg's before that) because they do actually seem to be functioning human beings.
It also spawned its own Twitter account.

It's like Axelrod is running a campaign for Romney this time around.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's obviously got some general awkwardness about him, but I'm friends with someone who sort-of knows him (enough to have informal 'off-duty' conversations with him) and they say he's a very intelligent man with actual opinions and convictions. It seems he's got a certain amount of camera shyness as well as the fact that he's clearly being told he has to follow a very fine line to have any chance of getting elected and it's not that close to his actual opinions. We can bemoan his 'badness' as a candidate, but the rest of them would've done the same less awkwardly, but is that worth it to be left with a genuine Blairite like David? I'd rather have a hopeless campaigner and good PM than the converse (of course if he does the same in office as he has the last 4 years then gently caress Labour, gently caress politics and gently caress everything).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's sort of what I mean though - he doesn't come across as comfortable doing it. Things like the strikes video make you cringe to watch them, because he's obviously desperate to keep on message, but he's no good at it. Whereas Cameron does that exact same thing all the time, but people barely notice because he's like a practiced salesman, smoothly delivering his patter.

So for me that makes Miliband seem much more human, because he's trying to play the game and failing at it spectacularly. But if the game is the game, he's going to do badly - I just wish he'd break away from it, because he's not going to beat Cameron on robotic, content-free soundbite delivery, and that poo poo is something that shouldn't fly as it is.

As far as the pub test goes, I reckon you could have an interesting talk with Miliband - hell, an actual discussion even. A pint with Cameron would be like socialising with Mr Burns

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Alecto posted:

I'd rather have a hopeless campaigner and good PM than the converse
The problem of this approach is that it's liable to give you a hopeless campaigner and then a "good" leader of the opposition.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

In that regard it's a wonder Labour haven't deconstructed the overly-PR campaigning that both they and the Tories have been driven by since the 80/90s. Certainly works well for UKIP and the race to the middle ground has driven voters away in droves. Ed should be frank, and speak to people directly rather than in sound bites. From what I've seen and heard he is a good orator when he's talking to people as humans, and not from a script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

My Sun arrived today

No crossword

Motherfuckers

• Locked thread