Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Darth Walrus posted:

Also pro-eugenics and a right bastard to the Indians.

He was definitely a fucker but it's hard to deny he had charisma.

e: and yes, Gandhi was a huge racist against black people and routinely slept naked with young girls in order to prove he had mastered his carnal urges. He was a loving weird man.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think the current strategy is based around Labour feeling pretty confident about the next election, so the safest thing for Miliband to do is be as uninspiring and boring as possible so nobody pays much attention to him.

Worked for Major

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The great question of the next election is whether it'll be more like 1992 (when the pollsters were confounded by a big swing to the Conservatives on the day), or 1997, when a strongly recovering economy did nothing to prevent Labour sweeping into power.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nevett posted:

My Sun arrived today

No crossword

Motherfuckers

Looks like you got your cross word after all. Hiyoooooo

winegums posted:

In that regard it's a wonder Labour haven't deconstructed the overly-PR campaigning that both they and the Tories have been driven by since the 80/90s. Certainly works well for UKIP and the race to the middle ground has driven voters away in droves. Ed should be frank, and speak to people directly rather than in sound bites. From what I've seen and heard he is a good orator when he's talking to people as humans, and not from a script.

Probably because it worked so well for Labour (they were in power since '97 remember), and because that's the political and media landscape now. Substance is baggage. Nobody cares if you have integrity or the ability to back up anything you're saying. Labour has been buying into the status quo more and more, playing the game, so they have a lot invested in the current system.

Someone with more insight into internal Labour politics can probably shed a bit more light, but it always seemed telling to me that Ed was actually campaigning for the Yes to AV camp, while a lot of the old Labour guard were publicly campaigning for No. The current system entrenches the two-party system that works out so well for the Tories and Labour, so it makes sense that they'd want to protect it. Even if Ed did want to shake up the way politics are done, there'd probably be a lot of resistance within the party

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

The problem of this approach is that it's liable to give you a hopeless campaigner and then a "good" leader of the opposition.

That's the political line in Labour at the moment. Blairites and those who buy their rhetoric say the way Milliband is acting is the only way to get elected, but it turns out it can only be convincingly performed by those who believe it, therefore we need a David not an Ed. Their opponents, the hodge-podge of Old Labour and the new left say the entire New Labour campaign style needs to be abandoned so that non-Blairite leaders can put up effective campaigns. We've ended up with a miserable compromise of a non-Blairite, largely, following the Blairite plan. If he fails then the pendulum will swing away from the centre, probably back to the Blairites, if he wins, who knows where Labour will end up. Depends whether or not Milliband follows the Blairite plan of governance or not I suppose, which comes down to whether Milliband believes that his campaign style is right for all cases, or whether he's just trying a breeze through on Tory unpopularity and favourable boundaries.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Hmm, I see what you are saying but I disagree. The clock can be stopped. The ref's are supposed to do a correct job. There is a bit of difference between 'jumpers for goalposts' and an international competition. You dont see this sort of silly bollocks in the olympics do you?

err, yeah you do. see the controversy at the fencing in 2012 for example.

incorrect calls by the ref naturally fall randomly in favour of either team with equal frequency, so it doesn't actually matter really.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ddraig posted:

e: and yes, Gandhi was a huge racist against black people and routinely slept naked with young girls in order to prove he had mastered his carnal urges. He was a loving weird man.

Link?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

HortonNash posted:

E:Didn't Gandhi have quite a bit of hate for black people and the gays?

I don't know about that, but he forbade his wife a medical treatment on religious grounds, disease killed her, he later contracted the same disease and used the same treatment he denied his wife.

He's up there with mother theresa on the "massive shits that are treated like saints" list.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Gandhi posted:

raw kaffir, whose occupation is hunting and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with, and then pass his life in indolence and nakedness

Gandhi in prison in South Africa posted:

Many of the native prisoners are only one degree removed from the animal and often created rows and fought among themselves.

Johannesburg Gandhi statue draws criticism

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Seaside Loafer posted:

Hmm, I see what you are saying but I disagree. The clock can be stopped. The ref's are supposed to do a correct job. There is a bit of difference between 'jumpers for goalposts' and an international competition. You dont see this sort of silly bollocks in the olympics do you?

Anyway, I dont really care, just curious. Btw I overheard there was some proposal to allow a team 3 challenges to be reviewed per game or something, why they couldnt just do every one right is beyond me me but ok.

The ray parlour can answer it in more depth, but ultimately its a logistical nightmare to introduce it to the game, and it all evens out in the end over the course of a season/ competition anyway. It would also massively batter the flow of the game, which is one of its unique features when compared to other sports. The minor changes they've made recently (goal line technology, vanishing spray etc.)have made the game better and aided the ref, but further change isn't absolutely necessary.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Well kind of the point is that he was racist, classicist and sexist.

He was the son of a high ranking bureaucrat and studied law in the UK before he travelled to South Africa. It was only during the Boer war when he developed his principals of non-violence and his frienships with people such as the Reverend John Langalibalele Dube, who became the first President-General of the ANC.

Also both Black and Asian people attended his prayer services and his newspaper Indian Opinion often discussed events occurring within the native African communities.

And there's no evidence he was a paedophile but he may have had weird sexual habits. None of which qualifies him as a 'massive poo poo' simply a man that was a product of his time.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I hope England win the World Cup so the Scots vote for independence. Also so we win the World Cup.

I have a very weird relationship with patriotism because I'm dead against it unless there are sports involved.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Gandhi and his weird sexual habits are fairly well documented.

Here's a straight dope link that discusses it.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2521/did-mahatma-gandhi-sleep-with-virgins

There's a few books on it, and his racism is very well documented in his own writing. He routinely referred to black people as kaffirs which is pretty much analogous with 'niggers'.

Gandhi was a bit of a poo poo. Sorry to break it to people.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Gandhi and his weird sexual habits are fairly well documented.

Here's a straight dope link that discusses it.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2521/did-mahatma-gandhi-sleep-with-virgins

There's a few books on it, and his racism is very well documented in his own writing. He routinely referred to black people as kaffirs which is pretty much analogous with 'niggers'.

Gandhi was a bit of a poo poo. Sorry to break it to people.

Everyone in history was a dickhead.

George Washington? Aristocratic tax dodging slave owner who got his dentures from pulling the teeth from the jaws of his slaves.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sri.Theo posted:

a product of his time

With the way things are now (i.e. certain influential people getting their rose-tinted shades on for definitely terrible bygone times) I don't think it goes without saying that the time was very definitely poo poo, so I don't think there's a problem with pointing out that individuals were also poo poo to various degrees.

Like, half the reason particular historical figures get idolised like this is because their positive image remains popular the present; therefore, I don't think it's inconsistent to also judge their flaws by present standards as well.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well everyone is a dick head, it's just that people who happen to have done a certain amount of 'good' tend to have their tosser status relegated to footnotes.

People like Michael Jackson get away with it because of reasons, I guess.

I am a huge knob, but probably not as much as most great historical figures.

So yes I agree with the statement that all historical figures are wankers.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Was Clement Attlee a historical wanker?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

I've only met one person that was telling the truth when they said they weren't a wanker...

And he was the biggest uptight piece of poo poo twatface I've ever known.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Praseodymi posted:

I have it on good authority he once littered. History's greatest monster.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Did this actually happen and, if so, is IDS in intensive care from thosae burns?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

WastedJoker posted:

Did this actually happen and, if so, is IDS in intensive care from thosae burns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QRdNIDytEY

"What a load of old nonsense."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

"The fact is, I believe that I'm right."

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

sebzilla posted:

Marks off for not using "at the end of the day".

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

sebzilla posted:

To be honest. This just seems to be the current Conservative motto.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I do, I do, I do believe in Scroungers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That dismissive wave looks well practiced

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

baka kaba posted:

That dismissive wave looks well practiced

I wonder if he's mentally dismissing her because she's a woman... or because she's not white.

:iiam:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So many possibilities! IDS is a man of many complex layers

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

It's cool how he makes that disbelieving face at the £39 breakfast thing too.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-claimed-breakfast-1810086 posted:

Iain Duncan Smith’s claim he could live on £53 a week fell apart last night after evidence emerged of a £39 breakfast he tried to put on expenses.

The Work and Pensions Secretary was accused of “living in a different world” after the Mirror uncovered his taste for the morning blow-out which would leave just £14 to see him through the rest of the week.

The Cabinet minister claims he knows what it’s like to live on a low income and has dismissed a challenge from a 370,000-strong petition for him to prove it.

But Mr Duncan Smith – who has ushered in the hated Bedroom Tax – made a claim on his Commons expenses for a £193 hotel stay in a hotel, including a breakfast for £39.

The receipt, submitted to the Parliamentary authorities when he was an opposition MP, show he also claimed for a mini bar bill and, on one occasion, a £9 cocktail.

The claims were rejected by Commons authorities.

The Daily Mirror can also reveal Mr Duncan Smith has yet to visit a food bank since becoming Work and Pensions Secretary in May 2010 – despite his claim to know what it is like on the breadline.

Unison general secretary Dave Prentis said: “Everyone, including a man who spends £39 on one breakfast, would struggle to live on £53 a week.

“Iain Duncan Smith can bluster all he likes, but he is living in a different world to millions who have to live on a pittance thanks to his policies.”

Mr Duncan Smith sparked fury by telling a County Durham market trader he could live on £53 “if I had to.”

His comments came as a report by independent think tank the New Policy Institute said the government’s benefit cuts this week will hit 1.2 million families already living in poverty.

A spokeswoman for IDS admitted his £39 breakfast claim last night, saying: “His office submitted the claim but it wasn’t accepted.”

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

Jack the Lad posted:

IDS doesn't believe that this happened, so it didn't. I don't see why you all have to keep bringing up these blatant lies.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well there's your answer right there in the last line. "I didn't claim £39 for a breakfast, no such claim was ever paid, and even if I had it was someone in my office, obviously in error"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jack the Lad posted:

In fairness, the only things he's done wrong here are trying to charge an expensive breakfast to the taxpayer and refusing to prove that he can live on £53 a week after claiming he could. Just because you can live on the breadline doesn't mean that you should even if you can afford better, and he shouldn't be visiting food banks regardless of whether he takes on the challenge or not.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

In fairness, the only things he's done wrong here are trying to charge an expensive breakfast to the taxpayer and refusing to prove that he can live on £53 a week after claiming he could. Just because you can live on the breadline doesn't mean that you should even if you can afford better, and he shouldn't be visiting food banks regardless of whether he takes on the challenge or not.

That's a lot of leeway to give someone. But I'm sure he won't do it again until the next time.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

As an update on my friend's ESA case.

Took ages to eventually get through to one of the decision makers, who gave us an email address to send the appeal information (we have been told multiple times that simply wasn't a possibility). It took them nearly 3 weeks to decide that the information was too late to be considered, despite them having received multiple copies of the appeal information before then by registered post, and previously agreeing to consider the information. So now, we have to full-on appeal it. She's still missing over a third of her income, with two kids to support, as well as dealing with her illness.

Oh, and ATOS, after 3 months eventually replied with a letter that was essentially 2 pages of "nuh-uh, that's not what the HCA said happened, she's faking", not sent to her, to her MP who then forwarded it.

She's relapsed from the stress of it, had a severe panic attack when her mum broke the news.

Jedit posted:

You mean, other than forcing countless (well, the count them then refuse FoI requests to disclose) people to suicide by taking their only means of survival from them, overseeing a slump into poverty that hasn't been seen since WW2, all while blaming those common thieving scroungers for not simply accepting their god-given fates and just not pulling their weight with the aspirational classes.

Oh, and openly inventing his own reality when challenged on things like a massive rise in child poverty (much like his CV), or handwaving away factual claims about the above.

If the media/government hadn't pulled off the "skiving scum" narrative so well (though to be honest, they are well practised) then IDS would have been sacrificed long ago after one of the many costly fuckups, like wasting 25 billion on a computer system that will never work.

The man is utter scum, even for a loving tory scum.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
To be fair, he did specifically say "did wrong here".

If we're tallying back past misdeeds of IDS it would probably have to go right back to him forcing his way out of his father's cock.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Ddraig posted:

If we're tallying back past misdeeds of IDS it would probably have to go right back to him forcing his way out of his father's cock.

Ugh I kind of angrily rambled in the post, I meant more the sheer audacity of him handwaving the long and factual laundry list of his fuckups and the situation away with a "nuh uh" being a pretty wrong loving thing, at least cameron et. al normally have the decency to do a slick repeat of the party line and misdirect (or in millibands case, a crap redirect then PANDAVISION), the fucker just makes up his own reality.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Ddraig posted:

I don't believe that happened.

But if it did, it just proves that IDS really is a self made striver.

Alternate joke: I wish he'd landed on the bedsheets.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've just had an idea for a summer blockbuster scifi film. IDS travels back in time, and has to coach his father into not spilling him on the bedsheets via the power of belief.

In a surprise twist ending he fails and moments before he fades from existence he cries out in despair: "That could be cleaned with expenses!"

I'm ready if you are film industry.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Is Sperminator too easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ddraig posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. IDS is one of the worst human beings ever to make it questionable if the term is appropriate for use, but his claim to be able to live on £53 a week doesn't fall apart just because he had a £40 breakfast when he's not living on £53 a week.

• Locked thread