Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Cosima posted:

That is 100% a reverse engineered joke from the initial funny thing which was just pig hitler.

That's pretty much why it's amazing, though. Bushmiller's writing process wasn't "where do I take this setup," it's "what setup would make this punchline make remote sense?"

e: Someone should post classic Nancy again. I don't have the Fantagraphics books and I have no clue where else to look for it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That's pretty much why it's amazing, though. Bushmiller's writing process wasn't "where do I take this setup," it's "what setup would make this punchline make remote sense?"
I think this is how Pastis does his PBS Sunday puns.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trip report! Was a pretty cool exhibition, a bit smaller than I expected but then it's a library not a museum. In parts of it I felt like they looted my personal bookshelf. Some oversights in my opinion, there's a section on the British invasion of American comics and there's a whole issue of Warren Ellis' Planetary that revolves around exactly that, not saying I'd have been a better curator but, you know, it's definitely missing when you know about it.

They also have a shop outside where you can pick up a pretty sizable and comprehensive collection of secondary literature if you want and have the cash. I learned that what we do here with edits is well within the very fine tradition of 60s underground artists who would publish collage comic strips with well-known characters who'd often get up to sexual misadventures. The more things change.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

Imagine how shattered Calvin's psyche would have been had this gone another way.

In the Weapon Brown version of this scene, it ended with a lot more dead bodies and blood.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

And I absolutely love Pastis' puns, so that doesn't shock me.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Cow and Boy

Johnny Walker posted:

It's also how Jim Davis did a lot his jokes (from a sketch of a particular expression) until he outsourced to a Taiwanese sweat shop or whatever.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 14, 2014

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kismet posted:

Oh jesus please let mary worth be embarking on an indigo child plotline.

I really don't see where else it could be going after the "evolution" comment. For the first time ever I'm actually interested in Mary Worth.

"Morbid curiosity" is still interest, right?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shadeoses posted:

Huh, so it really is post-apocalyptic.

Nope, just an edit. I'm sort of disappointed that you were the only one to say anything.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I really don't see where else it could be going after the "evolution" comment. For the first time ever I'm actually interested in Mary Worth.

Autism.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

until he outsourced to a Taiwanese sweat shop or whatever.

Ah ha ha what, source?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Jesus Christ. This is horrible. I don't care if he's trying to campaign for support for taking care of strays, or what, it makes me mad.

This isn't just bad, it's GilchristBad®.

Brooke, I'm sorry for all the bad things I said about your comics.

:v:

Allen Wren posted:

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

"fazes"?

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jesus Christ. This is horrible. I don't care if he's trying to campaign for support for taking care of strays, or what, it makes me mad.

:v:

"fazes"?

Edited b/c I am stupid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

https://www.todaysdogg.com

I bet he misspells dog purely for the URL, because he's an rear end in a top hat.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

e: unnecessary due to stealth edit

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't really hate DOGG, it's just pandering to its audience. My biggest beef with his Nancy isn't that he's doing what he's doing, exactly, it's that he's using an established and previously very good comic to do it (and making GBS threads all over Bushmiller's legacy in the process).

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

I can't decide whether I like the crocodile with the pipe or the mantis with the monocle more. But they're both amazing. :allears:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Ah ha ha what, source?

Hyperbole, but he has a staff write and draw the comics for the most part. Indiana is kinda like Taiwan, you know, if you think about it long enough.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 14, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

City board:
- We're still waiting for pastor Kuivalainen
- He always leaves everything until the last drop
- Come on
- There's still some!!

I don't remember if you can use "the last drop" when you mean "the last moment" in English, but it looks fine to me.

By the way, many Finnish surnames have suffixes like -nen or -lainen and there's really no way to translate them, especially since I don't know what they actually mean. What I do know is that kuiva means dry.

Amp up your salad with avocado oil.
- What's in this?
- Amphetamine and avocado oil

This one is great. Piristää means "to refresh" (as in "that was refreshing"), "to cheer up" or like in this case more figuratively "to enliven", "to spice up" etc. To make something perkier and livelier, in essence. Piristä is its imperative form and I translated it here as "amp up". Piri is a street word for amphetamine, and piristä would be basically "from meth". It's grammatically strange in English, but basically the pun is "From meth, [make] a salad by using avocado oil." Perfectly understandable in Finnish even though it lacks the verb.

Fok_It

A rare case of a pun working better when translated, here. In Finnish he had to say "Hey it's the 13th day-".

At this point I'm pretty much using "bloody hell" because it's kinda funny in its own right.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Really Pants posted:

You have literally met aliens, Mandrake. What are you doing.
I think Mandrake gets his power from wasting someone's time. You ask him a question, and he uses it an opportunity to monopolize your attention for hours with whatever bullshit he can come up with. You asked about aliens? Here's a bunch of sketches of things that could be aliens, but probably aren't. Settle in, lady, I'm just getting warmed up. You need help catching a criminal? Let me magic away your pants and throw you in a tree and make illusions for days until he strikes again, and maybe even after that. You and a master of disguise came up to kill me? After I stop you, you can sit there while I make the disguise guy do impressions of everyone I have ever met in my entire life.

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

https://www.todaysdogg.com

I bet he misspells dog purely for the URL, because he's an rear end in a top hat.

He spells it that way because of his initials I always figured.
That self righteous prick

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Went and found a preview of tomorrow's comic.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Trilobite posted:

I think Mandrake gets his power from wasting someone's time. You ask him a question, and he uses it an opportunity to monopolize your attention for hours with whatever bullshit he can come up with. You asked about aliens? Here's a bunch of sketches of things that could be aliens, but probably aren't. Settle in, lady, I'm just getting warmed up. You need help catching a criminal? Let me magic away your pants and throw you in a tree and make illusions for days until he strikes again, and maybe even after that. You and a master of disguise came up to kill me? After I stop you, you can sit there while I make the disguise guy do impressions of everyone I have ever met in my entire life.

Maybe once you've been an all-powerful wizard for long enough you have to find other hobbies. Mandrake is trying to break into the comics industry and he's seeing what that woman thinks of his new concept sketches.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

This strip is going to give me an aneurism. If you're going to murder your rival and need an alibi, why do it by flipping a photo? Why just just have someone else take the picture of your wife. Or take the picture on a different day. Or any countless number of different ways than make more sense than flipping the photo. Or, gently caress, you're in the mafia, just get one of your lackey to off the guy. Then you can actually be at your alibi! gently caress!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Maybe Inspector Danger is actually a meta strip and the real quiz is to find seven things that make no sense.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wanamingo posted:

Wait hold on Inspector Danger says that the date on the ticket is right, but if they were in Dogburg at only 9 AM how did they see a movie? Maybe it's just because I live in a small town but I've never heard of theaters starting shows before about noon at the earliest, usually after 1 PM though.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Wanamingo posted:

I expect too much from this comic. Here I thought the clock having no numbers was just an abstraction of the simple art style. One has to take everything at face value, even if it wouldn't make sense in a real-world situation.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait hold on Inspector Danger says that the date on the ticket is right, but if they were in Dogburg at only 9 AM how did they see a movie? Maybe it's just because I live in a small town but I've never heard of theaters starting shows before about noon at the earliest, usually after 1 PM though.

Obviously a cinema only prints the date on the tickets, not the time of your movie! :downsgun:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If they were going to fake the time anyway, why isn't the guy in the photo and not his wife? What the hell does that photo prove? Why did they need to fake an alibi for someone who didn't commit the murder anyway?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Honey? I just killed a guy. We better take selfies in case Inspector Danger comes sniffing around.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Kennel posted:

Maybe Inspector Danger is actually a meta strip and the real quiz is to find seven things that make no sense.

Inspector Danger is 100% entirely "figure out how the author thinks" not "find the criminal."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's a few theaters around me that have showings before noon. Some places those shows are only $5 on weekdays. It's a pretty awesome deal if you have a weekday off.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"You are terrible! I bet a little boy's dog could paint better than you!"

mtomato
Oct 22, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

If it's 5 minutes to a full hour, then it makes sense for the hour hand to point slightly upwards as shown in the photo.
If the photo was reversed, the hour hand should point slightly downwards.

In other words, mr. Danger is just making false accusations as always.

The strip should have just ended in the second panel. It would have been perfect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Countdown to Olive and Mary forming an unhealthy friendship that ends in the murder of Olive's mother.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Wanamingo posted:

So Inspector Danger, what evidence do you have? "His alibi fell through." Well yes, but you can't just "book" someone because they don't have an alibi. "Do you want me to book you, too? I'll book the lot of you dago bastards!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mtomato posted:

If it's 5 minutes to a full hour, then it makes sense for the hour hand to point slightly upwards as shown in the photo.
If the photo was reversed, the hour hand should point slightly downwards.

Are you trying to out-Danger Danger himself here? If you mirror that clock then it's 9:05 and the hour hand points slightly above nine as it should.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Why is he getting naked? Are we heading into Custer's Revenge territory?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

When that idiotic beret got shoved onto that kid's head in Rex Morgan, I thought there was eventually going to be a moral about letting your kid be themselves, but nope, that stupid beret's still pointlessly on, sans comment, while the adults high five themselves that at least they don't demean kids around like that fat boy bully. Stupid fatty.

What a charming strip.

Cow and Boy

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

scarycave posted:

Why is he getting naked? Are we heading into Custer's Revenge territory?

Why is he even 8 bit? I've completely lost track of what is even supposed to be happening in ZNJ. I am just not getting this strip.

When my kids were little, I'd be unnerved if it was too quiet.

Aw, Dana! You missed a perfect chance to cameo the Ray/motorcycle/mountain thing! :v:

Bungee? That's a slingshot that Amos is in. It would've been way funnier if you would've drawn Amos as a crumpled heap about 50 feet away, and then had Juliette say "When will slingshot cartooning be outlawed." You blew it though.

Zits

I tend to talk like Sara. The "detailed documentation" quality of my job as a programmer tends to leak over into my everyday conversation. I usually get yelled at for it. :v:

:rolleyes:

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 15, 2014

• Locked thread