Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wheany posted:

why is the youtube app on ipad so terrible?

because they cant steal any more of your personal data by making it better so nobody cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wheany posted:

why is the youtube app on ipad so terrible?

i deleted the youtube app off my phone last week

it started pestering me about google plus just like the goddamn webpage so gently caress that noise

is it so hard to understand taht i dont want my name on my youtube you fuckers

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
why the does the screen size spaz out every time you click on a youtube link

sometimes the top left portion of a video plays in a small window in the bottom right of a black screen
sometimes instead of a black screen, it's my subscriptions or some other poo poo i don't care about

i don't remember when it has last worked right and just played the video on some normal size screen

also if the video i click has an unskippable ad, i just go back to browsing the web

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Necc0 posted:

use mctube it's much better. it also lets you play music with the screen locked which google still hasn't figured out people want for some autistic reason

i remember reading a feature request that was shot downin a spergy firestorm of "it's for wwatching videos why would you watch videos with the screen locked that's not what the app is for"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the iPad YouTube app is really flaming garbage. I'm not just talking about bugs, whoever thought that navigation made any sense is a loving idiot.

didn't google used to make decent apps? it seems like they keep loving with them until they become unusable.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
The original youtube app for iOS was bearable because it was simple and did allow you to play music or whatever while doing something else

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Millstone posted:

The original youtube app for iOS was bearable because it was simple and did allow you to play music or whatever while doing something else

the original YouTube app was written by Apple

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the youtube app got imo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if you have the screen off you can't see overlay ads.

of google's app team is full of the types of nerds that get really angry and dig in when you dare mention you want to do something their softwar doesn't do.

I'm 50/50 on what the actual explanation is. does the ipad app show the overlay ads in the first place?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder when they are going to take that facial recognition stuff a step further and make it so that you have to actually be looking at and watching the ad before you get to see your content.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

like samsung's "smart pause" bullshit on the S4 and S5? i could see google implementing it as a feature in youtube and then completely ignoring the product forums thread about it pausing ads when you aren't looking. pretty well fits their MO.

edit: actually they would make it an option beta feature first, default option next, then force it on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nine times out of ten i reflexively close the tab if theres an ad on the youtube. the one time i dont my eyes are glued to the countdown to skip button

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

install pvstar+ problem solved

android: the userbase will fix it

probably

badly

on specific versions

that your device won't run

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
also for some reason the ipad app is unable to keep streaming in hd. it will work fine for a couple of minutes, then stall, then start playing the sega mega cd quality video, then work its way up to hd again and repeat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Snapchat A Titty posted:

the countdown to skip button

countdown till this practice vanishes entirely

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

countdown till this practice vanishes entirely

well considering that something godawful like 5-15% of people don't watch the ad to completion now and you can't even be sure that those people are actually watching because tabbed browsing is a thing... that would save google a fuckton of bandwidth costs and maybe even solve their peering disputes!

e: as an aside remember how much the TV industry flipped out about ad auto-skip in DVRs? they killed off replaytv over it. seems pretty quaint now.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 14, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Snapchat A Titty posted:

nine times out of ten i reflexively close the tab if theres an ad on the youtube. the one time i dont my eyes are glued to the countdown to skip button

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

use mctube it's much better. it also lets you play music with the screen locked which google still hasn't figured out people want for some autistic reason

the advertisers don't want them to do it, it's that simple

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Google FTW

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

if you have the screen off you can't see overlay ads.

of google's app team is full of the types of nerds that get really angry and dig in when you dare mention you want to do something their softwar doesn't do.

I'm 50/50 on what the actual explanation is. does the ipad app show the overlay ads in the first place?

you can in theory disable those obnoxious annotations video publishers smear everywhere but it doesn't work because google hasn't mastered "cookies"

same way the hot bullshit "welcome to the new version of maps that you've been using for a year, take a tour just like the tour you've taken three times already"math at google maps does because they don't have a profile field that says "has already been using new maps" or "has seen the new maps tour" because

GOOGLE SUCKS AT WEB APPLICATIONS

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

e: as an aside remember how much the TV industry flipped out about ad auto-skip in DVRs? they killed off replaytv over it. seems pretty quaint now.

finnish content producers, tv stations and ISPs just reached an agreement on how "net DVRs" are supposed to work. a couple of the rules were: you're allowed to fast forward the show, but not the ad breaks. the recordings expire after two years and are deleted automatically.

in the year 2014
in a country where netflix has been a thing for two years
in a universe where bittorrent continues to exist

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'm the person who thinks copy protection stops people who want to copy things from doing that

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can in theory disable those obnoxious annotations video publishers smear everywhere but it doesn't work because google hasn't mastered "cookies"

same way the hot bullshit "welcome to the new version of maps that you've been using for a year, take a tour just like the tour you've taken three times already"math at google maps does because they don't have a profile field that says "has already been using new maps" or "has seen the new maps tour" because

GOOGLE SUCKS AT WEB APPLICATIONS

the annotations check box remains checked on the configuration page. the youtube video player just ignores it for some reason for two weeks on several devices until it suddenly starts workin correctly again.

also i was overjoyed to learn that they removed the distance measurement tool from the new maps.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
mega lol if you have ever seen a single ad on youtube from your own computer

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
the advertisers need to learn that they have to mention the product or the brand in the first 5 seconds before people :f5: the skip button

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

advertisers need to learn to gently caress off and die

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

mega lol if you have ever seen a single ad on youtube from your own computer

I watch the ads to support content creators bc I prefer ads over a paywall that will kill the internet #adsftw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pagancow Owns

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wheany posted:

the advertisers need to learn that they have to mention the product or the brand in the first 5 seconds before people :f5: the skip button

lots of industry publications about exactly this, also talking up how you don't actually pay for those views. won't be shocked if ads start being reasonable for 5 seconds then going full "Head ON! Apply Directly to the forehead!" for the remaining 25 in an attempt to drill the name in while also trying get people to skip them so they don't pay.

Dicky B posted:

advertisers need to learn to gently caress off and die

also this. the industry is a leech upon humanity.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i tried the youtube app on my phone and got ads but watching them through chrome doesn't get ads but other video types do i'm very confused

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so is google

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

lots of industry publications about exactly this, also talking up how you don't actually pay for those views. won't be shocked if ads start being reasonable for 5 seconds then going full "Head ON! Apply Directly to the forehead!" for the remaining 25 in an attempt to drill the name in while also trying get people to skip them so they don't pay.

also this. the industry is a leech upon humanity.

give me free samples of your product instead of spraying ads into my orifices

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

give me free samples of your product instead of spraying ads into my orifices

this is one of my favorite parts of being on klout, i actually liked a few of the samples i was sent enought to start using the products.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Necc0 posted:

so they can charge for that with the youtube subscription service later this year

after which theyll send cease and desists to all the 3rd party apps theyre ignoring

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i deleted the youtube app off my phone last week

it started pestering me about google plus just like the goddamn webpage so gently caress that noise

is it so hard to understand taht i dont want my name on my youtube you fuckers

you dont have to use your realname, youre prob just closing the box so quickly you didnt see the option for it:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

you dont have to use your realname, youre prob just closing the box so quickly you didnt see the option for it:

naw, even after you make a choice the android youtube app would pester you for which alias you wanted to use every goddamned time you opened it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
sorry about ur spergin'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

flakeloaf posted:

naw, even after you make a choice the android youtube app would pester you for which alias you wanted to use every goddamned time you opened it

i was going to say "mine never has" as though that proved something but it instead just makes the massively incorrect assumption of consistency of user experience in google applications.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the google experience is everyone being in their own private A/B testing hell, all the time

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
why does youtube have that red loading bar at the top now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pseudorandom name posted:

the google experience is everyone being in their own private A/B testing hell, all the time

more like BM testing

• Locked thread