Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
^^^ yeah those show up fine though

Sereri posted:

Did any of you try the black box build I posted on Thursday?

I just started having the black box problem today on my stock nexus 5. Tried the update, but still getting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sega Saturn posted:

I just started having the black box problem today on my stock nexus 5. Tried the update, but still getting them.
Have you tried Something? It looks a lot better and works really well but there are some features not yet implemented. The most annoying thing to be missing is user highlighting.

Also some have reported bad battery drain with it but I haven't seen that. Maybe remember to swipe it away on your task switcher it it won't affect you.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 1, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

spankmeister posted:

I recently got a new phone, HTC one m8, and it has a few different fonts. I set it to Helvetica because I really like it. Everything in the app is in Helvetica except the thread view.

Can it be made to use the system font instead of whatever it uses now?
If you select Default as your font it should use helvetica. If it doesn't, :shrug:

anthonypants posted:

this post is quoting the one above it, and inserts a space for a blank [fixed] tag block in the middle of a word, even though the post it quoted does not display a space in the same word
I tested that when you when you posted it and still can't figure out what is happening. Really weird.

Cithen posted:

I used to browse the YouTube thread in GBS to queue up a bunch of videos through Chromecast. I haven't done this in a few months and now it doesn't seem to be working very well. I can click on a Youtube link, which opens the app and then casts it to my TV. If I try to open any further links while the first video is playing it errors out and won't open the "Add to Queue" dialogue box. If I wait for the first video to completely finish I can open up a new video via a link, but can't queue. Any suggestions on how to solve this?
Did you want to post that in the Android apps thread?

huhwhat posted:

Hey guys what's the setting for keeping the scroll position after I click in some link that takes me to Chrome? I always find that I'm at the top of the page for some reason.
Luck. If you're lucky, your phone doesn't kick Awful out of memory and it will resume the position. If it does, it will resume to the page or post you started the page on.

hooah posted:

Recently I've noticed that images hosted on minus don't load. I'm on my home wifi, and they load fine in my computer.
If I remember correctly, minus blocks embedding from sites that aren't forums.somethingawful.com. We lie to minus, saying we are, so it should (and apparently does) work. I've had problems with minus on my browser sometimes though.

Sega Saturn posted:

Try this build

LastInLine posted:

Also some have reported bad battery drain with it but I haven't seen that. Maybe remember to swipe it away on your task switcher it it won't affect you.

Considering I see auto-starting gifs in Something, I'm not surprised.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Sereri posted:

Luck. If you're lucky, your phone doesn't kick Awful out of memory and it will resume the position. If it does, it will resume to the page or post you started the page on.

Ugh that sucks. Thanks for the reply.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri posted:

If you select Default as your font it should use helvetica. If it doesn't, :shrug:

Nope, I even tried different themes and turning off the force yospos/fyad checkbox.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Speaking of check boxes how about some check box polls?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
For some reason the app refuses to load any of the threads, as if there's no connection at all. I tried reinstalling it and now I can't even log in :(
Using Nexus 5. Also tried to install the build posted 4 posts up to no avail

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CHiRAL posted:

For some reason the app refuses to load any of the threads, as if there's no connection at all. I tried reinstalling it and now I can't even log in :(
Using Nexus 5. Also tried to install the build posted 4 posts up to no avail

Make sure to also delete the app data.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Sereri posted:

Make sure to also delete the app data.

Didn't help.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CHiRAL posted:

Didn't help.

Are you making sure that you're entering your username and password correctly (some keyboards add a space sometimes).

If nothing helps, see if changing your forum password to one thats just alphanumeric and see if you can log in then.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Sereri posted:

Are you making sure that you're entering your username and password correctly (some keyboards add a space sometimes).

If nothing helps, see if changing your forum password to one thats just alphanumeric and see if you can log in then.

I did and it already was alphanumeric :shobon:
The problem started with the app not connecting to the forums at all, I don't think the login bit is the problem here. Is there maybe an app you know clashes with this one? I haven't used the SA app for a while before this started so maybe its something I installed since then? It worked fine before...

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CHiRAL posted:

I did and it already was alphanumeric :shobon:
The problem started with the app not connecting to the forums at all, I don't think the login bit is the problem here. Is there maybe an app you know clashes with this one? I haven't used the SA app for a while before this started so maybe its something I installed since then? It worked fine before...

Any ad-blockers maybe?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Seems to have fixed it for me thanks!

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Sereri posted:

Any ad-blockers maybe?

I had ABP (and it was off, I also killed the process a few days ago) but uninstalling it didn't help

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CHiRAL posted:

I had ABP (and it was off, I also killed the process a few days ago) but uninstalling it didn't help

Just throwing this out there, but you mentioned you hadn't used Awful for a really long time. Are you still running Ferg's original app?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Nth Doctor posted:

Just throwing this out there, but you mentioned you hadn't used Awful for a really long time. Are you still running Ferg's original app?

I uninstalled and then redownloaded the one by Awful Apps LLC and installed that (it was the one I originally had as well). I also let all of my apps update when prompted to.

I haven't tried using the other app since the page says it's no longer maintained. I use the apps for reading texty threads mostly so I don't need that many features. If all else fails I'll try using that one I guess.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CHiRAL posted:

I thought ABP hadn't worked in years? Or did they move to host file blocking like AdAway?

CHiRAL posted:

I haven't tried using the other app since the page says it's no longer maintained. I use the apps for reading texty threads mostly so I don't need that many features. If all else fails I'll try using that one I guess.

LastInLine posted:

Have you tried Something? It looks a lot better and works really well but there are some features not yet implemented. The most annoying thing to be missing is user highlighting.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I didn't realize there was a 3rd app! I'll give it a shot, thanks :)

Edit: turns out I'm very dumb and totally forgot I changed my password at one point. Sorry
Everything works fine now

CHiRAL fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 2, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sega Saturn posted:

Seems to have fixed it for me thanks!

Did anyone else try this build?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Awful has been so crazy stable the last 9 months I barely ever check in to this thread, what's in the new beta?

Thanks for all of the work you've put into it, it's fantastic and I probably use it 5+ hours a week.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Can't post new thread. Voted 1 etc...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Allow the app to post threads, but force the attention/hot/banme thread tags.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Allow the app to post threads, but force the attention/hot/banme thread tags.
Also don't inform the user.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

DreddyMatt posted:

Can't post new thread. Voted 1 etc...

I'm waiting for gaze to implement it in Something so I can steal it.

I call it LGing because it's Android stealing from Android, rather than iOS.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Not getting any page loads from Awful Legacy on my MB312. Yesterday it said the forums were down...now it just won't load anything. It worked as recently as Sat.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Golden Bee posted:

Not getting any page loads from Awful Legacy on my MB312. Yesterday it said the forums were down...now it just won't load anything. It worked as recently as Sat.

Same here on a Nexus 5. Stopped working before the forums actually went down. "Page won't load" errors since yesterday.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Basically this:

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

Just a heads up: SA's "Database Unavailable" message has a different html structure than the other error messages, so it only appears as a generic "Network Error".

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Basically this:

Just a heads up: SA's "Database Unavailable" message has a different html structure than the other error messages, so it only appears as a generic "Network Error".

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Basically this:

E: what in the loving gently caress

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

TRIPLE-POST

How did that happen exactly? With the long page delays we're seeing the posting process might be timing out, but the forums already have the post. That's kind of difficult to work around, since we don't know for sure if a post was accepted at that point.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
My awful is borked too, gs5 here on android awful play stor version.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Same here except it will load one thread before borkingment.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TRIPLE-POST

How did that happen exactly? With the long page delays we're seeing the posting process might be timing out, but the forums already have the post. That's kind of difficult to work around, since we don't know for sure if a post was accepted at that point.

Don't time out. Show a cancel button instead, maybe with a "your post may have succeeded anyway" message after cancelling.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Might be fixed? Posting from the awful all

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Deep Winter posted:

My awful is borked too, gs5 here on android awful play stor version.

Borked phone checking in, Moto G

Edit, seems to be working more or less after three days, finally

What happened to the database all of a sudden, the site has been down a lot

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 17, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a Nexus 4, and the app has been fine whenever the forums are actually working.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

TRIPLE-POST

How did that happen exactly?

Not sure, I tried to post and it crapped out, I resumed the app later without reloading the thread and checking and posted it again. I'm not sure where that second post came from though.

Anyway, the troubles of the last day are mostly caused by the forums and outside of scraping the error messages better there is poo poo all we can do.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The app doesn't work anymore for me at all. This isn't just when the site is down, I'm getting loading failed messages every time I load anything, even when the forums are readable from a browser. I tried logging out and back in via the app, but now the error just says I'm not logged in, no matter how many times I attempt to log in again. Totally borked.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Funkmaster General posted:

The app doesn't work anymore for me at all. This isn't just when the site is down, I'm getting loading failed messages every time I load anything, even when the forums are readable from a browser. I tried logging out and back in via the app, but now the error just says I'm not logged in, no matter how many times I attempt to log in again. Totally borked.

Clear the app data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think there used to be a setting under Thread Settings to remove the Last Post By and Number of Pages. Did that get removed or am I just imagining things? I like to have it setup that way and I cleared my app data while troubleshooting and can't set it back.